Leashes, are they possible?

Thelargir

I'm just wondering if it is at all possible to make a working leash for skyrim? Perhaps with HDT? 

I just played through an enslavement-sequence with SD+, and thought it would be greatly improved with such a thing. No more free roaming. :P

post-12409-0-13813300-1402872687_thumb.jpg

I imagine with the right scripts / mods to keep the NPC up with you while moving, and something similar added to that to make their AI recognize the leash... something akin to a sandbox AI with a VERY short range, it would be possible.  Certainly beyond my current skills but potentially possible.

Guess I'll wait for one of the folks here that has truly mad skills comment on it. :D

SD+ will soon have a virtual leash thanks to Devious Device integration (with a debilitating effect kicking in if you wander too far).

SD used to have a leash with a harder limit and automatic march back to your master if you strayed too far. The problem with that is Skyrim's AI pathfinding, which has issues with stairs, slopes and oddly configured doors (in short, a good recipe to get yourself stuck between two rocks).

Prison Overhaul seems to have found a good balance between automated AI walk and manual 'skip to the next stage' in case you get stuck. I haven't taken the time to dig into that code and see if I can reuse anything in SD.

SD+ will soon have a virtual leash thanks to Devious Device integration (with a debilitating effect kicking in if you wander too far).

Would this be that Leash Plug I heard about?

Yes... that's the leash plug. There is a possibility to adapt the script from the plug to other devices, like a collar.

There is no visual of a rope - it is more along the lines of a virtual electronic fence.

SD used to have a leash with a harder limit and automatic march back to your master if you strayed too far. The problem with that is Skyrim's AI pathfinding, which has issues with stairs, slopes and oddly configured doors (in short, a good recipe to get yourself stuck between two rocks).

Prison Overhaul seems to have found a good balance between automated AI walk and manual 'skip to the next stage' in case you get stuck. I haven't taken the time to dig into that code and see if I can reuse anything in SD.

Feel free to copy Prison Overhaul. The leash system there is fully modular, and easily copied somewhere else (and then tweaked as needed).

Old version of SD & also, PSE for Oblivion has it. Well, no actual leashing but your char. can't move far from where your char was "leashed" to. For SD, it's less likely to bug out without the leash, your char. tends to stick into walls back in the days (at least for me anyways). Have you tried Thug Slave on SD? There's some sort of leashing there. But overall, I am surprised I didn't see modders use leashing in Skyrim. 

Maybe we should summon Ichabod? :P

Old version of SD & also, PSE for Oblivion has it. Well, no actual leashing but your char. can't move far from where your char was "leashed" to. For SD, it's less likely to bug out without the leash, your char. tends to stick into walls back in the days (at least for me anyways). Have you tried Thug Slave on SD? There's some sort of leashing there. But overall, I am surprised I didn't see modders use leashing in Skyrim. 

Maybe we should summon Ichabod? :P

summon ichy ? dont unless you want to lose a limb he said no disrupting his eternal slumber with petty things ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Leashes would be awesome but i can only imagine how difficult it would be. And related to that, i've been using the animation-replacer that makes you crawl instead of crouch for a while but since it's a full replacer it's a rather crude method since i pretty much toggle it off from Modmanager if i want to get back to Vanilla-animation. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33097/?

Being able to have that animation as a standalone or toggle it on and off via MCM would obviously be preferable.

Leashes would be awesome but i can only imagine how difficult it would be. And related to that, i've been using the animation-replacer that makes you crawl instead of crouch for a while but since it's a full replacer it's a rather crude method since i pretty much toggle it off from Modmanager if i want to get back to Vanilla-animation. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33097/?

Being able to have that animation as a standalone or toggle it on and off via MCM would obviously be preferable.

Quite possible, this script from the Papyrus Utilities mod which is installed with the Sexlab Framework makes it easy:

scriptname ObjectUtil Hidden

;/
	Animation override.

Here you can replace animations on objects by animation event name.

Idle Property laughIdle Auto ; "IdleLaugh" here from CK
	SetReplaceAnimation(akTarget, "moveStart", laughIdle)

No whenever this character tries to move they start laughing instead.

Animation replace is checked once, that means if you replace moveStart with
	IdleLaugh and IdleLaugh with idleEatingStandingStart then whenever you try to
	move you start laughing and not eating.

This replacement persists through save games.
/;

; Replace animation on object by animation event name. If obj is none then it will replace globally, be careful with this!
function SetReplaceAnimation(ObjectReference obj, string oldAnimEvent, Idle newAnim) global native

; Remove a previously set animation replacement.
bool function RemoveReplaceAnimation(ObjectReference obj, string oldAnimEvent) global native

; Count how many animation replacements have been set on object.
int function CountReplaceAnimation(ObjectReference obj) global native

; Clear all animation replacements on object.
int function ClearReplaceAnimation(ObjectReference obj) global native

; Get animation event that is replaced on an object by index (use count function to iterate).
string function GetKeyReplaceAnimation(ObjectReference obj, int index) global native

; Get animation that is replacing previous animation on an object.
Idle function GetValueReplaceAnimation(ObjectReference obj, string oldAnim) global native

A simple spell to cast on someone to add or remove an animation override for them. So instead of walking anywhere they would crawl instead, an override that can be set to affect them and only them.

If you want it only for your player it wouldn't even require a spell, a MCM Menu could easily toggle it.

LOVE that sneak anim! I used it a long time ago, but I've since gone to Kajiit sneak and sprint (minus the sprint). I think the Kajiit sneak would work even better with a leash.

I'm a bit more curious if there's a way to force the player into walking on all fours like OP's pic.

I found a sneak replacer that makes you walk on all fours for sneak animations.

And this mod appears to be able to change the movement animations at will.

Presumably you could smash these two ideas together and force the player's normal movement animations to switch to walking on all fours. Assuming you could tie this effect to an item, you could make a collar which forces you to walk on all fours when worn. It would probably also be useful to limit movement speed and prevent the player from attacking while in this state.

• 1 month later...

Well, we already got ropes/chains hanging from the top, connected to the player, so I think it's possible. The only Thing missing is connecting These chains/rope to an NPC.

It's still plenty of work to make it actually good looking and adjusting the length of the chains etc.

However, if somebody would really try it, i think it's possible.

For the issue with bad path finding AI I use two workarounds - a kickass procedure that let the player jump behind the NPC if he stucks and an AI switch-off every 2 seconds for a short period, so the player is able to lead around obstacles manually.

With this combination every obstacle can be mastered with the virtual leash and the player keeps the feeling that he does not lost the control completely.

For leashed NPCs I use only the first workarround.

Archived