Leashes, are they possible?

Thelargir

Well then make 10 or more chain meshes of the same length but different sag with a collar (worn by the slave), get distance to master, and put one of them on, depending on the distance. Also force the slave to rotate towards the captor so the chain would align with the captor's hand. The slave will walk a bit sideways then. The chain will straighten if the slave is away and sag if the slave is close. If the slave is getting too far away, make the slave run towards the master. Also make bsdismember in such a way that the chain is sort of rigid.

the same scripts that i used to leash the player in Oblivion could do the same here. but in Oblivion you could never place a package on the Player.

Here you can so there I think has been no need to place the jerk player around as i did in Oblivion.

But I have been thinking I might wish to re evaluate that thinking, the AI packages on Players here in some ways leave less to be disired than my Leash scripting.

But although the AI package is clunky, it does the same thing.

the main crux was this

If isPullingLeash
                Set degs to SGSlaveRef.GetAngle z + SGSlaveRef.GetHeadingAngle SGOwnerRef ;galgat here is point NPC to owner
                SGSlaveRef.setAngle z degs
        EndIf

and turning off fast travel, and 4 scripts, collar, quest, enslavement function, restrainarms. Pus special animations which only became available because of OBSE ( I thank those people the make OBSE  every time I managed to get something to work only because they took the time to make it possible).

and a lot of "if" calls for forcing the player to run if got to far, if got stuck teleporting them to the master, also had a force jump on player it sometimes got them unstuck. but there were many problems. tweaking the right distance, if allowed player to teleport to soon when master went in door, was a fine line keeping it all together, and hopefully not losing the connection.

I want to Note : thomthom Was the originator of this method, I worked with him, and helped him with it some early on, and used it as well.  I refined it a lot, and added the crawling animation, and some other things to it, and it was very effective, and it was really the only way to do this in Oblivion effectively.

I would be fine with any that wanted to study My oblivion scripts and convert the Leash system I used to Skyrim. I can work with Papyrus, but not very well yet.

We are only using it becasue it is a variation of the Lua style of Game programing which is pretty much in variation the language use for all console game programing, and that is why we are using it, not because it was better, it is not, its system of dumping scripts if it gets overloaded is directly from the need console game machines had to do this, not computers.

This made porting the game from computer to console much faster, and easier. Or at least that is what I think :)

Skyrim was made for console, not computers.

• 6 months later...

Regarding this... it should be possible to have a leash hanging loosely from the collar right?

With HDT yeah, much more plausible than an actual visible leash from actor a to b.

I'm actually wondering why nobody had made anything like it yet.

Regarding this... it should be possible to have a leash hanging loosely from the collar right?

With HDT yeah, much more plausible than an actual visible leash from actor a to b.

Look deep in the forums, it has been discussed many times.  If it were easy, it would have happened long ago.

The only thing I have seen that was a flexible tether between 2 things was on a house mod that was a wagon. The harness holding the horse to the cart would stretch if the horse was not lined up with the cart correctly.

For making an npc follow the player I am doing it using an Alias with 2 AI packages, one to follow and one to stay put. Each has a condition to run when a global variable is a specific value, when you give the command to the slave it sets the variable. It is easy enough to force whatever npc into the alias.

Look deep in the forums, it has been discussed many times.  If it were easy, it would have happened long ago.

I think he may be referring to just a collar with a lose hanging chain or such? If so, in the HDT section ZaZ has just released an alpha of some HDT stuff he's doing, ankle cuffs with physics enabled chain between them. It looks pretty sweet. On the right track for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea pretty much, like there is a chain hanging loosely from the cuffs (legs/arms) or a leash handing from the neck.

This way it seems like the cuffs are attached but the person broke off just the chains.

My guess is that people that tried that ended up withdrawing from the project because the chains would constantly go through the skin of the character or the floor, making it look odd....

That's just a guess.... 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about modding, but those who want to make that mod might want to take a look at some of the traps. After all, some of those Feature an "elastic" string between one fixed Point and one moveable object (like the Skull Ram in Halted Stream Camp). If you'd just be able to make tht fixed Point moveable, you'd have a functioning leash

I don't know anything about modding, but those who want to make that mod might want to take a look at some of the traps. After all, some of those Feature an "elastic" string between one fixed Point and one moveable object (like the Skull Ram in Halted Stream Camp). If you'd just be able to make tht fixed Point moveable, you'd have a functioning leash

I think the problem isn't being moveable as opposed to keeping it where it needs to be. I.e. one end on a player and the other with an npc in their hand for example.

Short of that being a weird equip-able (which is equally implausible) you would likely have to keep the positions up to date via script (very frequent update calls (too frequent)). Unless it was a leash only visible when at least one actor is stationary.

• 3 months later...

What about modifying an existing spell ?

I am thinking about the lightning spell, it goes from one toon to another, maybe is not really needed that it goes to the collar itself:post-1798-0-53454700-1443825921_thumb.jpg

Of course it needs to be modified to be some kind of rope/chain instead of a lightning, and modify the animation.

I did not play Dragonborn too much, but I can remember some kind of tentacle spell...

And TES online actually has a chain spell to bring your enemies near you

post-1798-0-18068700-1443826236_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48289/?

Has some impressive chain-effects (and has something more rope-like with the spider-effect as well). The bsic effect, connects a chain between two characters, seems to allready be there.  Now we'd "only" need to extended the duration between connect and "Pull back", perhaps add some physics to the chains, so it doesn't stay in a straight line and ... and it's most likely more work, and harder encoded in some nifty hks, than I can even imagine :)

What about those shackles with chains that zaz made a while back? Just make a belt for the owner to wear which has the leash attached to it and blend it in with the devious devices stuff so it lines up with the collars from those mods.

A two person equip-able is likely very complicated. That spell chain effect sounds quite plausible though.

Archived