[Unofficial] Bodyslide 2/Outfit Studio Tutorials

Is it possible to add new bones to an outfit using Outfit Studio?  I have several outfits that do not have the required bones for TBBP and would like to add them if possible.  Can they somehow be copied over or added; perhaps from my current TBBP body as a reference?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate all the info and discussion here, but it's a bit overwhelming at the same time.

Is it possible to add new bones to an outfit using Outfit Studio?  I have several outfits that do not have the required bones for TBBP and would like to add them if possible.  Can they somehow be copied over or added; perhaps from my current TBBP body as a reference?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate all the info and discussion here, but it's a bit overwhelming at the same time.

Read Guide 1 and/or Guide 3.

It helps if you at least take a cursory look through some of the guides ;)

You should finish/add/make the final tutorial ( copying sliders ). I have figured it out and wish I would have added the new sliders to my baseshape 180 conversions ago.. (ie the 7b sliders and breast sliders from HDT made body).  I used your xml tutorials to figure out how to copy the sliders to new objects in xml (very very thankful for the tutorials, saves me alot of time). 

I think the last tutorial should be complete so a beginer will have a desired sliderset baseshape before making a million conversions...

Thanks again

Edit: sorry just now saw it said wip...

You should finish/add/make the final tutorial ( copying sliders ). I have figured it out and wish I would have added the new sliders to my baseshape 180 conversions ago.. (ie the 7b sliders and breast sliders from HDT made body).  I used your xml tutorials to figure out how to copy the sliders to new objects in xml (very very thankful for the tutorials, saves me alot of time). 

I think the last tutorial should be complete so a beginer will have a desired sliderset baseshape before making a million conversions...

Thanks again

Thanks for the support!

I am sorry to admit but my lack of updating guides and such is because all my free-time is now taken up to building up my Unibody mod.

And until it is in a releasable state (or a state which I find it good enough) I do not have the time/will towrite anymore guides.

Read Guide 1 and/or Guide 3.

It helps if you at least take a cursory look through some of the guides ;)

Believe it or not,  I actually did read through your steps regarding adding the bones, and I finally got it to work.  I used a slightly different method than what you wrote but I extrapolated from your steps.  Thanks though for those steps, I wouldn't have been able to pull it off without those as a starting point. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong with my current work.

After I've converted some of the armors with OS, and I go in-game to check that how does it look, some of the textures have become black. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Here's what I've tried so far to fix this:

- Unchecked the "Smooth Seam Normals"

- Tried to re-set the textures, as hinted in the Guide 5

- Tried to tinker the mesh with Nifskope, "mesh-->Face normals / Smooth normals"

None of these methods have worked so far, and I'm running out of ideas how to fix that.

Also, let to be known, that the textures look just fine in the OS. The Black textures only appear in-game, when I equip the armors.

I'd usually just ignore those small black texture problems, but this time they're kinda hard to miss, because they almost cover half of the meshes textures.

Assuming you are converting for CBBE, I believe that CBBE uses an offset that you sometimes need to adjust for.  In Outfit Studio, you can fix it by clicking on Shape >> Move Vertices and using the default values.  If you are working in a 3d modeling program, you need to manually adjust the translation values of the mesh(es) as follows:

X: 0.0

Y: -2.54431

Z: 3.2879

I've only had what you are describing happen a couple of times; but in both instances, this fixed it.  I hope that helps.

Oh my god, thank you! I can't believe I overlooked this previously. It hasn't quite fixed my problem, but at least now I know where I need to focus.

On a side note, doing this had a humorous hunchback result:

post-179952-0-89389900-1396540713_thumb.jpg

Edit: I take that back, but thank you nonetheless. Move Vertices isn't it, because it's creating a seam at her ankles now. Is there anything else I can try?

Any idea what I'm doing wrong with my current work.

After I've converted some of the armors with OS, and I go in-game to check that how does it look, some of the textures have become black. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Here's what I've tried so far to fix this:

- Unchecked the "Smooth Seam Normals"

- Tried to re-set the textures, as hinted in the Guide 5

- Tried to tinker the mesh with Nifskope, "mesh-->Face normals / Smooth normals"

None of these methods have worked so far, and I'm running out of ideas how to fix that.

Also, let to be known, that the textures look just fine in the OS. The Black textures only appear in-game, when I equip the armors.

I'd usually just ignore those small black texture problems, but this time they're kinda hard to miss, because they almost cover half of the meshes textures.

The only other normal setting that you can turn off is under Edit -> Auto Normals (uncheck that), with this and ssmooth seam normal off, OS shouldn't affect your normals at all.

You can also try re-calculate normals after your conversion is done to see if that fixes it. (Probably won't but you could try it as a last ditch effort)

The only other normal setting that you can turn off is under Edit -> Auto Normals (uncheck that), with this and ssmooth seam normal off, OS shouldn't affect your normals at all.

You can also try re-calculate normals after your conversion is done to see if that fixes it. (Probably won't but you could try it as a last ditch effort)

I already figured out that what was the problem, and it didn't involve Outfit Studio at all.

But thanks for the tip thou. Might come useful in the future.   :)

Alright and they said zapping was easy.

Here is what I did :

- Suit mesh and bodymesh under it ,is ready to use. I just wanted to remove body mesh under it to avoid clippings.

- I've masked the part I wish to be removed, created newzapslider and set it to 100% ( highlighted )

- a body has moved forward a bit so I guess its a good sign . . .?

- and that should be all ? But it didn't worked when I've exported it as a .nif and later checked in the game.

And now comes the crappy part , when I go into the Slider>Properties it seems to reset my zapslider everytime I enter it ( so I can't change anything without reseting my zapslider ).

So I've skipped this part and "Saved Project As", so it should automaticaly generate SliderSets inside BodySlide/SliderSets/nameoftheproject.xml.

This way I can edit it manualy by opening .xml file. What looks like this.

<SliderSetInfo>
    <SliderSet name="ZapThatSuit1">
        <SetFolder>ZapThatSuit1</SetFolder>
        <SourceFile>ZapThatSuit1.nif</SourceFile>
        <OutputPath>meshes\armor\ZapThatSuit1</OutputPath>
        <OutputFile>ZapThatSuit1</OutputFile>
        <BaseShapeName target="BaseShape.001">BaseShape.001</BaseShapeName>
        <BaseShapeName target="UNPB_1" DataFolder="">UNPB_1</BaseShapeName>
        <BaseShapeName target="body">body</BaseShapeName>
        <Slider name="ZapSlider1" invert="false" small="0" big="100" zap="true">
            <datafile name="bodyZapSlider1" target="body" local="true">bodyZapSlider1.bsd</datafile>
        </Slider>
    </SliderSet>
</SliderSetInfo>

What should be changed here to correctly make my part of the mesh ,disappear? I restarted Bodyslide and it looks okay in the Bodyslide window, zap slider has appeared here but does nothing right now.

Where I did a mistake? I want to use Bodyslide window to generate meshes of this suit by using "Create Bodies" button.

Also I don't see a "Hidden" option ( from Slider>Properties window )  inside this .xml file.

Help is really appreciated and I will be thankfull for hints. And yes I really suck at this.

Alright and they said zapping was easy.

Here is what I did :

- Suit mesh and bodymesh under it ,is ready to use. I just wanted to remove body mesh under it to avoid clippings.

- I've masked the part I wish to be removed, created newzapslider and set it to 100% ( highlighted )

- a body has moved forward a bit so I guess its a good sign . . .?

- and that should be all ? But it didn't worked when I've exported it as a .nif and later checked in the game.

And now comes the crappy part , when I go into the Slider>Properties it seems to reset my zapslider everytime I enter it ( so I can't change anything without reseting my zapslider ).

So I've skipped this part and "Saved Project As", so it should automaticaly generate SliderSets inside BodySlide/SliderSets/nameoftheproject.xml.

This way I can edit it manualy by opening .xml file. What looks like this.

<SliderSetInfo>
    <SliderSet name="ZapThatSuit1">
        <SetFolder>ZapThatSuit1</SetFolder>
        <SourceFile>ZapThatSuit1.nif</SourceFile>
        <OutputPath>meshes\armor\ZapThatSuit1</OutputPath>
        <OutputFile>ZapThatSuit1</OutputFile>
        <BaseShapeName target="BaseShape.001">BaseShape.001</BaseShapeName>
        <BaseShapeName target="UNPB_1" DataFolder="">UNPB_1</BaseShapeName>
        <BaseShapeName target="body">body</BaseShapeName>
        <Slider name="ZapSlider1" invert="false" small="0" big="100" zap="true">
            <datafile name="bodyZapSlider1" target="body" local="true">bodyZapSlider1.bsd</datafile>
        </Slider>
    </SliderSet>
</SliderSetInfo>

What should be changed here to correctly make my part of the mesh ,disappear? I restarted Bodyslide and it looks okay in the Bodyslide window, zap slider has appeared here but does nothing right now.

Where I did a mistake? I want to use Bodyslide window to generate meshes of this suit by using "Create Bodies" button.

Also I don't see a "Hidden" option ( from Slider>Properties window )  inside this .xml file.

Help is really appreciated and I will be thankfull for hints. And yes I really suck at this.

Kinda confused as to what exactly your doing?

Do you want to CREATE a Zap Slider (the .bsd file)

Or do you wish to DELETE a part of a mesh and export it out as a .nif?

Or do you want to leave the zap sliders as a 'hidden' setting, so it's 'always on' for certain outfit conversions?

All very different things. and all doable fairly easily.

The steps you outlined are correct for the creation of the zap slider. It should be a .bsd file inside your ShapeData/<Outfit Name here> folder.

You enable and preview zaps to inside the BodySlide Preview Window (please read the end of Step 5 of the guide ;) )

I want to remove part of the body mesh ( breasts/belly/etc) so it won't show in the game and leave only lower legs and a bit of arms visible . Just to avoid body clippings that appears around breasts,arms through the outfit mesh.

In the BodySlide Preview Window , a part that I have masked and made zapslider out of it is still visible.

I hope you understand what I mean.

I want to remove part of the body mesh ( breasts/belly/etc) so it won't show in the game and leave only lower legs and a bit of arms visible . Just to avoid body clippings that appears around breasts,arms through the outfit mesh.

In the BodySlide Preview Window , a part that I have masked and made zapslider out of it is still visible.

I hope you understand what I mean.

So the zap sliders do work, but a 'part' of the area you zapped still shows up?

Or do the zap sliders not work at all?

If you post some screens highlighting the problem, that would be helpful as well.

You gotta understand that when your doing zap sliders, your effectively deleting those specific vertices. So unless your vertices are lined up along the edges/seams of your outfit, you will not be able to get a 'perfect' match. Meaning there will be some edge jaggedness.

If however, you don't get zaps working at all, then disregard the above and instead please post your nif so I may take a look at it myself.

Lol.

I messed up my guide apparently.

You mask the parts you want to keep.

but yes, the zap sliders work fine in all variations and cases for me:

output_f3zv_QM.gif

Updated guide to appropriately reflect these changes.

Thanks for catching my mistake Dagren!

i have a question for bodyslide, too, if you dont mind (german here, so i hope you understand the meaning of my wordconstructs)

my target body is cbbe, i want to convert some armors from unp to it,like for example the northgirl sweaters.

so i load up the conversion slider and then the _1 nif from the sweat-shirt. but the conversion slider doesnt show up., it only shows the "built in" unp body. if i load in in vice versa order, its the same. so why doesnt the conversion slider show up if i load a conversion-reference?

another thing that bugged me on the northgirl things... i loaded up my own (cbbe) femalebody-nif, and adjusted the sweater as good as possible, inflating here, deflating there, conversed the sliders, and in game it looks ok when " i " just stand around... finally. but as soon as i get in to a combat position lots of the arms blend through the sweater, shoulder-breast the same. it looks to me as the arms of an unp-body are VERY thin and have longer bones than cbbe... ?

i tried other conversion sliders too (was 1month ago) and they all dont show up, not just on northgirl armor, but on some others as well. on other armors the conversion sliders show up and ofc the conversion is easy then and works fine.

can you help me or comment on this?

thanks for your time and hope to hear from you.

i have a question for bodyslide, too, if you dont mind (german here, so i hope you understand the meaning of my wordconstructs)

my target body is cbbe, i want to convert some armors from unp to it,like for example the northgirl sweaters.

so i load up the conversion slider and then the _1 nif from the sweat-shirt. but the conversion slider doesnt show up., it only shows the "built in" unp body. if i load in in vice versa order, its the same. so why doesnt the conversion slider show up if i load a conversion-reference?

another thing that bugged me on the northgirl things... i loaded up my own (cbbe) femalebody-nif, and adjusted the sweater as good as possible, inflating here, deflating there, conversed the sliders, and in game it looks ok when " i " just stand around... finally. but as soon as i get in to a combat position lots of the arms blend through the sweater, shoulder-breast the same. it looks to me as the arms of an unp-body are VERY thin and have longer bones than cbbe... ?

i tried other conversion sliders too (was 1month ago) and they all dont show up, not just on northgirl armor, but on some others as well. on other armors the conversion sliders show up and ofc the conversion is easy then and works fine.

can you help me or comment on this?

thanks for your time and hope to hear from you.

Conversion sliders not showing up...

Can mean many things, but what I usually figure is that you installed incorrectly.

Try re-installing and see if that does the trick.

As for your animation clipping, if you look in the FAQ (just added, thanks for catching that) at the third question down it lists 3 possible methods for you to try and fix your clipping issues.

Hello again, I have another question for you.  I have been playing around with Outfit Studio and have successfully converted my first outfit to be Bodyslide compatible thanks to your great guide.  Although, it's not perfect, I'd say it's about 90% there.  I have a problem I was hoping you'd be able to help me out with.  As this was my first try, I chose a relatively simple outfit, the Aradia Bikini.

First , I completed the steps in Guide 4 to make conversion to TBBP easier.  Than I followed Guide 1 to match the sliders and get them working.  After saving everything, I was able to build the outfit using my base TBBP body preset.  I then cleaned up the meshes in Outfit Studio to correct some minor clipping from my body.  However, when I equip it in game from nude to the outfit, my character's breasts shrink noticeably.  Looking at my character from the front, they don't lose size.  However, from the side, they retract a bit as if I was using the "breast flatness" slider when I created the outfit. They don't retract to a ridiculous degree but it's enough that it's clearly not matching my body preset.  When I unequip the outfit, the breasts go back to their original shape.

To confirm, when I create the outfit in Bodyslide, I use the exact same preset as I use for my body, so there shouldn't be any change in my character's body correct?  Also, when I view the outfit in Bodyslide preview or Outfit Studio, it looks the exact same as my body preset, the change is only noticeable in game when I equip the outfit. 

Strangely enough, I notice this exact same problem with a couple of other outfits I've tweaked using Outfit Studio as well.  I've noticed the only outfits that match my character's body perfectly when equipping and unequipping are Mak's converted vanilla armors and the Red Sonja bikini.  I don't know what differentiates them that they can match my character's body perfectly.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'd appreciate your input.  Thanks again for the great guide.

Hello again, I have another question for you.  I have been playing around with Outfit Studio and have successfully converted my first outfit to be Bodyslide compatible thanks to your great guide.  Although, it's not perfect, I'd say it's about 90% there.  I have a problem I was hoping you'd be able to help me out with.  As this was my first try, I chose a relatively simple outfit, the Aradia Bikini.

First , I completed the steps in Guide 4 to make conversion to TBBP easier.  Than I followed Guide 1 to match the sliders and get them working.  After saving everything, I was able to build the outfit using my base TBBP body preset.  I then cleaned up the meshes in Outfit Studio to correct some minor clipping from my body.  However, when I equip it in game from nude to the outfit, my character's breasts shrink noticeably.  Looking at my character from the front, they don't lose size.  However, from the side, they retract a bit as if I was using the "breast flatness" slider when I created the outfit. They don't retract to a ridiculous degree but it's enough that it's clearly not matching my body preset.  When I unequip the outfit, the breasts go back to their original shape.

To confirm, when I create the outfit in Bodyslide, I use the exact same preset as I use for my body, so there shouldn't be any change in my character's body correct?  Also, when I view the outfit in Bodyslide preview or Outfit Studio, it looks the exact same as my body preset, the change is only noticeable in game when I equip the outfit. 

Strangely enough, I notice this exact same problem with a couple of other outfits I've tweaked using Outfit Studio as well.  I've noticed the only outfits that match my character's body perfectly when equipping and unequipping are Mak's converted vanilla armors and the Red Sonja bikini.  I don't know what differentiates them that they can match my character's body perfectly.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'd appreciate your input.  Thanks again for the great guide.

Try changing your reference skeleton as well at the end of Guide 4 I believe.

It should fix the error your speaking about.

For whatever reason the packaged reference skeleton was an old XPMS skeleton that is noted to cause this problem.

And do you know maybe what to do with .nifs that don't load in the Nifskope? But they DO load in the in the Outfit Studio instead. 

What is this magic.

Nifskope is a whole nother type of magic that I know next to nothing about.

I fantasized that one day I would write a nifskope for dummies thread. But nifskope is just not Dummifiable (at least for me).

All I know is those nifs work fine, it's just nifskope bugs out on them for whatever strange reason.

Try changing your reference skeleton as well at the end of Guide 4 I believe.

It should fix the error your speaking about.

For whatever reason the packaged reference skeleton was an old XPMS skeleton that is noted to cause this problem.

I just tried this, and for some reason when I open an outfit in Outfit Studio created using the new skeleton, it create's a long string of error messages called "Invalid Bone" one after the other and they all state "Referenced bone not found in skeleton, skipping: NPC Spine [spn0]" for every single bone in the skeleton (each message referencing all the different bones).  After the string of error messages, it loads the outfit but when I click the bones tab, it is empty.  This happen when I try to load an outfit or the new reference body.

To confirm, I have the XPMS Extended Skeleton installed and substituted that one into the "res" folder when following your guide 4.  Any idea how I can fix this?

Thank you