Piracy Rule Lax Now?

5 minutes ago, Corrupted_Desire said:

Keep seeing people posting asking for work arounds and free dlc for their games. I was under the assumption that was not allowed but ive seen 3/4 posts now of someone asking for dlc for a game. Is that no longer a strict requirement here?

Using the report button on those posts is probably the best answer.

You can find it here: image.png.83d761bfa1707bae420fb69166b89853.png

Edited by Sgt. Marge
44 minutes ago, CPU said:

We do not support piracy. At all.

Please report such posts.

Considering the fact that piracy is illegal pretty much everywhere, I figured as much.

17 minutes ago, espguy said:

The one place I can think in wich piracy is legal is Russia, but well its russia

Well, still. I think it's best to just not do that. You know what I mean?

6 hours ago, fagmalgma said:

its not legal in Russia, dont know why people think it is

I wasn't saying it was. I was saying that, even if it is legal somewhere, it doesn't mean that you should do it where it isn't.

3 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Wow. All these fine upstanding citizens who have never broken a law. Never copied music; never exceeded the speed limit; never drunk alcohol before the legal age; never smoked pot; never stolen anything from work.

Well, seeing how all of my music on my devices was acquired through legally licensed services, I've never gotten a speeding ticket because I can actually read those signs with numbers labeled "Speed Limit", never done any drug in my life (tobacco, alcohol, marijuana, meth, cocaine, etc.), and that I respect my boss too much to steal from her, thanks!

8 hours ago, deadjester226 said:

Considering the fact that piracy is illegal pretty much everywhere, I figured as much.

Everywhere? You clearly haven't been paying much attention since not only is it legal in some places... it's expected citing convenient ideological differences. Only defense we have against IP theft is to not share it on the internet. Even then it's not 100% 'safe'.

Edited by KoolHndLuke
59 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Everywhere? You clearly haven't been paying much attention since not only is it legal in some places... it's expected citing convenient ideological differences. Only defense we have against IP theft is to not share it on the internet. Even then it's not 100% 'safe'.

Please take note how I said "pretty much everywhere", which implies that I was referring to places that I know of.

Let's not also forget - there is a difference between having a law and enforcing a law. Throughout the USA there is a federal law making the sale and possession of marijuana illegal. It is explicitly not enforced in those states which have passed laws making its use (medicinal or recreational) legal. The law still exists. It is simply not being enforced.

That being said, piracy is taken very seriously on LL. When the staff is made aware of it we act on it. However, as I've said before, regrettably, we can't be everywhere, all the time. So, we are heavily, almost completely, dependent on the Membership to Report violations of the Rules - including piracy.

5 minutes ago, Psalam said:

Let's not also forget - there is a difference between having a law and enforcing a law. Throughout the USA there is a federal law making the sale and possession of marijuana illegal. It is explicitly not enforced in those states which have passed laws making its use (medicinal or recreational) legal. The law still exists. It is simply not being enforced.

That being said, piracy is taken very seriously on LL. When the staff is made aware of it we act on it. However, as I've said before, regrettably, we can't be everywhere, all the time. So, we are heavily, almost completely, dependent on the Membership to Report violations of the Rules - including piracy.

> I am curious how LL is dealing with plagiary? I know LL does not approve it, but how do you decide what is plagiary and what is not?

> I am sorry if my question isn't in the thread boundaries, but I somehow see it as similar as piracy.

19 minutes ago, Psalam said:

If I may ask, why not hire more moderators to deal with rule violations more efficiently? I mean, that would help, wouldn't it?

18 minutes ago, Evaloves4 said:

> I am curious how LL is dealing with plagiary? I know LL does not approve it, but how do you decide what is plagiary and what is not?

> I am sorry if my question isn't in the thread boundaries, but I somehow see it as similar as piracy.

Tough question. Ultimately, it is the decision of the Staff who is dealing with a Report. Personally, when making these decisions it can be very difficult. I need to balance the right of the original author against the possibility that someone else came up with the same, or similar, wording simultaneously. As is often the case, it is a question of balancing rights. This makes hard and fast rules difficult to come by.

3 minutes ago, deadjester226 said:

If I may ask, why not hire more moderators to deal with rule violations more efficiently? I mean, that would help, wouldn't it?

As of right now, Moderators are volunteers. That is, we're not "hired". Ashal chooses who's a candidate and asks them via PM (at least that's how she asked me). As with the answer given above, it becomes a question of balance. Sure, Ashal could get 100 Moderators on the site but then enforcement would be likely to vary widely across the board (since, as I've also mentioned, much of what we do is a judgement call). This would, then, give the Membership another reason to complain. "How come Moderator A said his work wasn't piracy and Moderator B says my work is piracy when I can't see a difference?" "Why does Moderator C have it in for me?"

2 minutes ago, Psalam said:

As of right now, Moderators are volunteers. That is, we're not "hired". Ashal chooses who's a candidate and asks them via PM (at least that's how she asked me). As with the answer given above, it becomes a question of balance. Sure, Ashal could get 100 Moderators on the site but then enforcement would be likely to vary widely across the board (since, as I've also mentioned, much of what we do is a judgement call). This would, then, give the Membership another reason to complain. "How come Moderator A said his work wasn't piracy and Moderator B says my work is piracy when I can't see a difference?" "Why does Moderator C have it in for me?"

Well, I'm not saying hire (I use the term "hire" figuratively) 100 moderators. Just hire enough so that way you guys have some of this strain taken off of you.

11 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

No I'm not. As I said, I didn't direct my post at your virtue signalling in particular but you are quick to don the mantle of victim.

"Toxic" - another hyperbolic neologism. ?

You're just proving my point. Here you are, dragging this out and twisting words in order to start an argument. But you know what, I'm not playing your game. Knock it off before I do report you, because you are being toxic.