Skyrim now available on GOG

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_special_edition

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_anniversary_edition

DRM-free - Like all games offered on GOG, this version is completely free of pesky DRM so you won't be locked out of titles you paid for, or constantly asked to prove you own them - this is DRM-free gaming.

No Creation Club or Bethesda.net - The Creation Club and Bethesda.net menus have been disabled for this release meaning that you cannot access these services in-game. However, you will still be able to get all of the Creation Club content by purchasing the Anniversary Edition from GOG.com.

Rollback easily* - Don't you just hate it when Skyrim gets updated and you either have to wait for all your favourite SKSE dependant mods to be updated or mess about trying to roll back? This is quite difficult on Steam or Xbox but GOG has got you covered. Through the GOG Galaxy app, you can easily roll back to an older version of the game or turn off updates entirely to keep modding without interruption.

* Bethesda will still be able to remove old versions from this option if required but GOG has said that in most cases they will remain available.

but however this is a problem:

Can I get the Creation Kit from GOG?
No. At present, the Creation Kit is only available on Steam. Bethesda has confirmed the GOG version is not compatible with the Steam Creation Kit but all mods created using the Creation Kit will work with any PC edition of the game.

Edited by MadMansGun

Also, you can download an offline installer for the Gog version of Skyrim, this will enable you to keep it at a particular version. So even if it is removed from the rollback, just keep an offline installer of it somewhere.

Just make sure the temperature and RH (humidity) are kept somewhere environmentally stable, in between the acceptable ranges for the storage media. Outside of these the media and equipment, will degrade faster than it normally does. Look after the media properly as well as other equipment and it will last a very long time.

Just make sure you utilise archival media, HDDs are no good as they can fail. Though any archival media can fail, some have better archival capabilities. DVDs or Blu-ray disks designed for archival purposes, can help with this for games and MODS. Another form optical media, which theoretically has a long storage life (1000 years or more direct quote from website), with good practices followed is M Disc.

Also, for optical media just make sure you regularly clean the drives, lenses as these when not cleaned regularly introduce read/write errors, the write errors are especially bad as these, are a possible problem which can affect the written disc.

Edited by Leoosp
1 hour ago, MadMansGun said:

Or  you could look at it as an opportunity. You now have the chance to have a clean, minimal-mod version of Steam Skyrim with which to create & test mods, while having a GOG Skyrim filled with all your fave mods with which to play your ass off. And, as a bonus, CK should load a bit quicker because it won't be trying to load a shit-ton of unnecessary mods.

2 hours ago, Someone92 said:

Anyone knows if you can roll back your Skyrim SE GoG version to 1.5?

oof, i will assume no, at least not yet anyways. i think you would need to ask the people that make the rollback patcher about that one.

1 hour ago, belegost said:

I'm not buying it for the third time, fuck you Todd.

you may not need to, every so often gog does a thing where they let you mirror your steam account.

(but i'm not sure how it works because i've never tried it)

Edited by MadMansGun
2 hours ago, belegost said:

I'm not buying it for the third time, fuck you Todd.

No need to buy it any more. Lot of people like steam-the most do and did. This step is exactly comparable with the problem between their "version of skyrim" chaos. Chaos and confusion.

To make it clear: STEAM is not in the discussion. It can be handy for some users. And for others it is not-specially if you only have one single game which depends on steam...means you have steam onto your computer for some update-terror only for that singe game. And that is in some few cases not ideal. I´m personally also no fan of binding a game to an online-launcher and selling-platform which is housing onto the computer and wasting space and slowing down flexibility on the one hand and on the other one spending a fake-file-integrity-check, which is obsolete for any form of windows installations. The more background is the data-protection for the STEAM related games. STEAM has been choosen for paying a high price for bethesda. If I would have been bethesda, I would have my OWN launcher, instead. More cleaner and more straight. Next step will maybe be the SKYRIM game on a new bethesda launcher...let´s watch that.

1 hour ago, MadMansGun said:

you may not need to, every so often gog does a thing where they let you mirror your steam account.

(but i'm not sure how it works because i've never tried it)

It doesn't "mirror" it, Galaxy just let's you link your Steam library to its launcher so you can launch it through there. You still need to have game installed through Steam and Steam needs to be running in the background for the Steam game to actually launch through Galaxy. You can add other storefronts too as well (Origin, Epic, etc.) but same principle applies.

Frankly, that's more hassle than it's worth, but hey,  in theory you DO have one, unified launcher (not really, but it sounds cool in their marketing materials).

Edited by belegost

Luckily I haven't yet bought SE, so I wouldn't be shelling out twice.

Unluckily the GoG edition will have no version 1.5x whatsoever (and several of the earlier v1.6x). So the point of buying from GoG to avoid Todd's constant fucking around with your shit is invalidated anyway.

Also, a wide number of authors have said or implied there will be no GoG support. This isn't as complete a shutout as, say, not supporting consoles, because some mods will work anyway, and maybe some will change their minds eventually, but it's still a new edition, and it's been recompiled so all the AE edition issues will need to be addressed for this too. at this point the SKSE team and many other bedrock utility folks are saying "no way, fuck this".

1 minute ago, SmedleyDButler said:

Ah, that's good then! My mistake.

Doesn't solve the problem of not being able to get a v1.5x Skyrim from GoG, but obviously for some people that's not the issue they're concerned about.

Their roll back thing is only for additions they delivered so not gonna have anything to get back to 1.5x.

Going forward, you can roll back to 1.6.659, but that is not gonna help what most folks want (e.g getting back to pre AE 1.5)

For me, AE is working fine.  Sexlab works fine with AE along with MCM and the few other SKSE mods I use and ALL the non-skse mods I use.

For me, I will wait a couple of weeks before buying this from GOG just to get rid of the Steam shit.

Note from the silverlok page that their 2.2.2  version works for both the .659 GOG version and the .640 steam version.  I don't know if they are the same code for downstream .dlls, but having the same version number is encouraging.

9 hours ago, SmedleyDButler said:

I haven't yet bought SE

Me too. I got it for free when it came out for owning LE with all DLC's. I'm still not paying third time to have fourth copy which i totally don't need or have space for, especially since its most likely going to be 1.6+

Edited by belegost

Not only SE has to be free for all SKYRIM-LE users, it also now has to be offered directly BOTH versions DRM-free on bethesda. net (there´s enough space for a download area) with all the suiting tools, CK with a working setup, gamebryo-exporter for both games for 3dsmax and other stuff, which is now and forever laying around the development computers until one is deleting the stuff.....and we need a last time "BIG thank you" by bethesda for all those people, which set endless time into it, to make SKYRIM to become a BETTER and INTERESTING GAME to be able still playing with it.

In between the modding scene should get the WHOLE stuff all for FREE-that would be truly HONEST and FAIR, and not again sell it straight under a little "better" circumstance DRM-FREE......absolutely NO GO.

And btw. WHY need third party dealers have again income from this ??? In some years it will cost about $ 3-4 ???...under ten seems little too cheap I am sure....

silly CRAP.

Edited by t.ara
2 hours ago, belegost said:

Me too. I got it for free when it came out for owning LE with all DLC's. I'm still not paying third time to have fourth copy which i totally don't need or have space for, especially since its most likely going to be 1.6+

Yes, and that has been realistic....to offer SE for free...absolutely. And so why now others have to pay for that again?....

Normally has SE to become a free game per se.....and LE in between too-how I mentioned. And with SUPPORT of BETHESDA with all the developping-tools, which can be used under windows....DIRECT download on BETHESDA.NET.

WITH SUCH A GEST, BETHESDA WOULD OBTAIN ATTRACTION under gamers to BUY newer titles....this they need exactly to LEARN.

Edited by t.ara
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got my Hands on "Shitrim" too, when it was released on GoG (took Toddy long enough with those 7 rereleases).

Question now is will SexLab suppoert the 1.6.59 version? Aka will SexLab be updated? (Sure Hope so)

On top of that, since i now look forward to Skywind Total Conversion, will SexLab work with a total conversion at all?

Edited by GHOSTMD
1 hour ago, GHOSTMD said:

Question now is will SexLab suppoert the 1.6.59 version? Aka will SexLab be updated? (Sure Hope so)

i think thats mostly just a case of "is skse working or not?"

1 hour ago, GHOSTMD said:

Skywind Total Conversion

that will be hit & miss.