Open letter to Ashal

I see people complaining about the ignore system not working properly from time to time but I never actually saw any form of suggested improvement, this here is no different. In a nutshell, all this here is is "Ignore system meh, btw, moderation for OP plx thx by" - which is why everyones only focusing on the moderation. What do you want on the system to be improved, really

I got a person on that list and most of the time I dont even realize that theyre posting on a thread until someone quotes them and asks them if theyre stupid or smth (yes, actually). Compared to other Forums, this one here does a splendid job at it. From other Forums I usually see some obnoxiously bright banner "HERE IS A POST FROM A PERSON YOU IGNORE; DO YOU WANT TO SEE IT? YOU SURE YOU DONT WANT TO SEE IT?? HEY THAT PERSON IS HERE; CMON; READ IT!!!", dont have that here. Ye.

Edited by Scrab

As someone who has their own forum, let me say that the feature that  @EvalovesEP   suggests could be considered a boon to the Moderators. It would lessen the number of complaint reports they acquire when such trolls appear (assuming of course they are persistent and an intentional irritant), and give the the members more control as they are the Topic Author. 

Though I have not had such issues, I would welcome an option to control who is or isn't allowed to view and/or post depending on how the ignore feature is worked out (viewing denied preferred).  I would see this as useful if I knew certain individuals would not just be intentionally critical, but had a history of  putting things off-topic or attempting to cause distress within my posts. 

While one could suggest that one merely ignores the trolls is the answer, ignoring a problem doesn't often work.  Regarding trolls, they may grow tired of one target but would just look for another. I would more prefer a feature to allow members deal with the trolls on a more aggressive basis rather than let trolls go from one would-be victim to another without any defense. 

The feature EvalovesEP suggests appears more proactive rather than reactive. And that would work even better to deal with the troll mentality as they may find their immediate loss of access to forum content and possible victims.

Edited by LongDukDong
12 minutes ago, EvalovesEP said:

> ... because you wanted me to look like stupid female who doesn't know what is good for her.

Those are YOUR words.

As far as I´m concerned, everyone on this site is a fat, autistic dweeb just like myself.

People don´t troll you because you´re female, the don't care. They troll you because you write nonsense like that.

8 minutes ago, LongDukDong said:

As someone who has their own forum, let me say that the feature that  @EvalovesEP   suggests could be considered a boon to the Moderators. It would lessen the number of complaint reports they acquire when such trolls appear (assuming of course they are persistent and an intentional irritant), and give the the members more control as they are the Topic Author. 

Though I have not had such issues, I would welcome an option to control who is or isn't allowed to view and/or post depending on how the ignore feature is worked out (viewing denied preferred).  I would see this as useful if I knew certain individuals would not just be intentionally critical, but had a history of  putting things off-topic or attempting to cause distress within my posts. 

While one could suggest that one merely ignores the trolls is the answer, ignoring a problem doesn't often work.  Regarding trolls, they may grow tired of one target but would just look for another. I would more prefer a feature to allow members deal with the trolls on a more aggressive basis rather than let trolls go from one would-be victim to another without any defense. 

The feature EvalovesEP suggests appears more proactive rather than reactive. And that would work even better to deal with the troll mentality as they may find their immediate loss of access to forum content and possible victims.

The problem with a system that allows one to control who is or isn't allowed to view/post can be heavily abused, people could cherry pick who is allowed to post and let people who agree with them only to post while those that have actual criticism and isn't trying to troll won't be able to say a thing. Like a game for example, if it has bugs, issues, problems, etc, etc, only shills and those who refuse criticism will be able to speak and the game will be a failure because no one is allowed to say anything helpful and only get unnecessary praise that doesn't help anyone..

I can see how nice a system like that can be, but its easily abuse able and shutting people out isn't the answer. Ignoring trolls does work, it fails when someone refuses to ignore them.

35 minutes ago, EvalovesEP said:

> You took my saying out of context quoting only the part you remembered. You are biased: Why didn't you quote this part too? ---

It is not about disagreements as it was claimed. It was the attitude, harsh and sexist words because I am a female and they hates certain type of females. Would moderators erased their post if they weren't offensive. They kept those posts that were OK. .

> ... because you wanted me to look like stupid female who doesn't know what is good for her.

This is @EvalovesEP's full context ....    "Half the truth is often a great lie." - Benjamin Franklin

19 minutes ago, Pamatronic said:

As far as I´m concerned, everyone on this site is a fat, autistic dweeb just like myself.

And I'm not fat.

And I have actively seen where trolls en-masse cause problems that have forced exodus.

Edited by LongDukDong
44 minutes ago, EvalovesEP said:

> You took my saying out of context quoting only the part you remembered. You are biased: Why didn't you quote this part too? ---

It is not about disagreements as it was claimed. It was the attitude, harsh and sexist words because I am a female and they hates certain type of females. Would moderators erased their post if they weren't offensive. They kept those posts that were OK. .

On 8/12/2021 at 8:45 PM, EvalovesEP said:

both genders are jerks sometimes and don't care what consequences their actions will produce.

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

Edited by stingray1995

Trolling is when people intentionally disrupt the community to get a rise. There was a thread not long ago when some twat started insulting mod creators in the Fallout board. Should have gotten an immediate time out.

But what I wouldn't call trolling is when someone says something not very nice to you. I think people with very sensitive nerves get overly upset when coming across somebody like that.

Not everyone you meet in any community are going to be likeable or agreeable. You can't just isolate yourself from such people left and right. In the end you're only going to be left with yourself. In my case I just move away from such discussions. I'm too old and tired to engage in drama.

Any online community has to straddle a fine line between moderation and freedom. Too much of the former and you will lose valuable members and the quality of the community will go down. Too much of the latter and you will devolve in a cesspool of morons like 4chan.

Edited by teitogun

Freedom of speech is important too, so i'd be hesitant to allow post blocking/deletion/hiding or anything of sort by other than moderators. Maybe it was reddit or some other forum, but i saw when post is downvoted enough it gets "minimized" automatically like a spoiler tag. People can still read it if they want, confirm that it was a shitpost if they want.

If someone is a deliberately trolling or cheesing me off, I don't mind a 2 way blocking, where we no longer share a universe, if that means they can't access my mods under that account anymore, so be it. But that may have technical challenges too as it involves extra database load cross referencing who can see what. I wish Facebook had 2 way blocking as I wouldn't like anyone I block to see what I am selling on the marketplace.
Who decides? Me of course! It's my thread or mod, just like its my home, even if I'm renting. People could just be nice and there is no issue.

Edited by Halstrom

I don't control how the ignore system works, it's built into the forum software and has no customization options.

I also just don't think an aggressive ignore system is helpful. Reporting abusive members so moderators can deal with them is. Ignoring/blocking doesn't solve a problem, it just hides it.

In 3 years that I have been here, I have seen all the colors  .  This just to give an example  Skyrim adult mods  

People who put fucking messages, ignoring the most elementary rules of order, justifying themselves even with shit like "I haven't seen it"

Acting on other people's messages from a user, just because the initial thread is his, would only serve to generate even more anarchy.
  for example, let's take a response that we don't like, we delete it. In my opinion it is incorrect, there are staff members for these things . Since a staff cannot be omnipresent (it will also have a life of its own) .  Our duty is only to report to the aforementioned staff, so that they can intervene , 

2 hours ago, Ashal said:

I don't control how the ignore system works, it's built into the forum software and has no customization options.

I also just don't think an aggressive ignore system is helpful. Reporting abusive members so moderators can deal with them is. Ignoring/blocking doesn't solve a problem, it just hides it.

> Thank you for your answer. Was this the best (cheapest) software or there are other alternative software since this one constantly have various problems and isn't tunable?

> If people would behave, we wouldn't need Ignore/block users. And if you ask me it is even better than constantly being alarmed that you will be shadowed, bullied or trolled again.

Edited by EvalovesEP
  • Psalam locked this topic