[LE/SE] Guide on using Nemesis alongside FNIS

Thank you soo much for your guide!

I was able to get Nemesis to work with Sexlab. But Nemesis would crash with SLAL.

I figured it was the creature animations that were the issue. So, I downgraded Sexlab to V1.60ALPHA.

Now I'm able to load SLAL with a few select human anim packs . My total anims are 4200ish. Above this Nemesis crashes. (I'm on a very old laptop)

For anyone needing the old Sexlab version, I'm linking it below...

SexLabFramework.v159c.7z SexLab_159c_to_160ALPHA.zip

On 4/26/2021 at 4:23 AM, ee28 said:

Actually I think I may have just found a way. Here's how I did it. ( I use MO2)

- First rerun FNIS with this load order (In MO2 this is on the left pane)

FNIS SE

FNIS Creatures

Nemesis

Nemesis Output

-I didn't turn off Nemesis or PCEA, just the mods above that use it, the only anims that FNIS loaded was Sexlab animations.

-I turned off the initial FNIS Output to create an entirely new one, this is FNIS Output 2, though in my experience, you can probably delete it and still use your previous output without issues.

-I turned off FNIS SE and turned on Nemesis Output and all my other Nemesis using mods (make sure Nemesis Output has a FNIS esp, if it doesn't, it's because it crashed before it could finish fully.)

- I did not have to rerun Nemesis.

That should be it, tried it and draugr and falmer animations work fully again alongside my Nemesis mods and other creature animations as well.

You know what? I've had issues with draugr, skeleton and falmer animations for a good 3 days now. I really couldn't tell what was wrong (despite rerunning everything the way I've originally described), but I think you're onto something.

I've been trying to make it work, but it keeps crashing on me on game startup. I've followed the instructions, increased the animation limit of Nemesis to 40k just to be safe (I use 16k), but it doesn't help. I also have sse engine fix and animation limit crash fix (Whith the ini file tweak to make them work together).

It launchs only when i disable "Nemesis Output" from the modlist, which seems wierd.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, ee28 said:

FNIS SE

FNIS Creatures

Nemesis

Nemesis Output

-I didn't turn off Nemesis or PCEA, just the mods above that use it, the only anims that FNIS loaded was Sexlab animations.

-I turned off the initial FNIS Output to create an entirely new one, this is FNIS Output 2, though in my experience, you can probably delete it and still use your previous output without issues.

-I turned off FNIS SE and turned on Nemesis Output and all my other Nemesis using mods (make sure Nemesis Output has a FNIS esp, if it doesn't, it's because it crashed before it could finish fully.)

That should be it, tried it and draugr and falmer animations work fully again alongside my Nemesis mods and other creature animations as well.

Thanks! I'll try this out and report back if it works :)
Edit: It worked!! Thanks so much, saved me hours of frustration and trial and error! :D

For vortex user, I also get the creature animation working by disable FNIS, the key is the output from FNIS. I ran FNIS with nemesis enabled and still working no problem(until now).

First, run FNIS through Vortex integrated FNIS (FNIS still required and enabled). Just enable FNIS in Settings -> Interface, then tick the box same as you would in FNIS. Deploy the mod normally and FNIS Data will be add automatically.

Spoiler

image.png.79eef5c11339bfe2c0efc24d8a122729.pngimage.png.e9eed63ed9587272103ffdb35dbe9ab0.png

2nd, disable FNIS itself (not creatures/output). the output should be overwritten by Nemessis based animation.

Spoiler

image.png.a4bdaa052127103308292cac369ca85c.pngOverwritting rules:image.png.30380efabe279ee677c65e302143c97a.png

3rd, run Nemessis. But make sure nemesis DO NOT delete any files in FNIS Data(if it is, restore or rerun FNIS)

Edited by fiinhvip
On 4/30/2021 at 7:41 AM, Kakabishan said:

Thanks! I'll try this out and report back if it works :)
Edit: It worked!! Thanks so much, saved me hours of frustration and trial and error! :D

Glad to hear it, although leaving nemesis on was an accident on my part, I think it's actually what makes the whole thing work.

On 4/30/2021 at 7:26 PM, fiinhvip said:

For vortex user, I also get the creature animation working by disable FNIS, the key is the output from FNIS. I ran FNIS with nemesis enabled and still working no problem(until now).

First, run FNIS through Vortex integrated FNIS (FNIS still required and enabled). Just enable FNIS in Settings -> Interface, then tick the box same as you would in FNIS. Deploy the mod normally and FNIS Data will be add automatically.

Hide contents

image.png.79eef5c11339bfe2c0efc24d8a122729.pngimage.png.e9eed63ed9587272103ffdb35dbe9ab0.png

2nd, disable FNIS itself (not creatures/output). the output should be overwritten by Nemessis based animation.

Hide contents

image.png.a4bdaa052127103308292cac369ca85c.pngOverwritting rules:image.png.30380efabe279ee677c65e302143c97a.png

3rd, run Nemessis.

I'm noob to modding,what exactly is "fnis output"? is it just fnis data? i'm using vortex 

On 4/30/2021 at 1:26 PM, fiinhvip said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

3rd, run Nemessis.

Okay. this works! Still requires a bit of trial and error, but at least it works and it seems even simpler on Vortex than it is on MO2. So thank you for this! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Tried following this thread as a guide to get creature animations working. Now Nemesis is only "detecting" 8 of my animation packs... all creature packs. All the rest of my packs no longer appear in the log screen of both Nemesis and FNIS... what gives? Is it simply a matter of reinstalling the animation packs? I don't understand how running Nemesis could cause Nemesis to not see animation packs that are physically installed...

EDIT: Yep, had to reinstall all mods in MO2 with animations in them. Possibly an MO2 issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 7:23 PM, ee28 said:

FNIS SE

FNIS Creatures

Nemesis

Nemesis Output

I'm having the same problem that you and some other people mentioned here with the draugr animations, but I'm failing to understand the steps listed here. 

Am I understanding this correctly?:

1. Run the steps from this guide: FNIS ran without nemesis, and then nemesis with FNIS (but with FNIS output turn on) 

2. Turn off the initial FNIS Output and Nemesis output

3. Run FNIS again with nemesis on and save the output as another file

4. Turn on the initial Nemesis output

So in the end of my load order should have:

1. FNIS Output

2. Nemesis Output

3. FNIS Output 2

This didn't work out for me, I also tried moving around the load order to be 

1. FNIS Output 

2. FNIS Output 2

3. Nemesis Output

But it just seems like FNIS output 2 overwrites FNIS Output, so its as if I just ran the thing with Nemesis on. 

Are you able to clarify what you did here, please? 

Edited by eyeballjones
12 hours ago, eyeballjones said:

I'm having the same problem that you and some other people mentioned here with the draugr animations, but I'm failing to understand the steps listed here. 

Am I understanding this correctly?:

1. Run the steps from this guide: FNIS ran without nemesis, and then nemesis with FNIS (but with FNIS output turn on) 

2. Turn off the initial FNIS Output and Nemesis output

3. Run FNIS again with nemesis on and save the output as another file

4. Turn on the initial Nemesis output

So in the end of my load order should have:

1. FNIS Output

2. Nemesis Output

3. FNIS Output 2

This didn't work out for me, I also tried moving around the load order to be 

1. FNIS Output 

2. FNIS Output 2

3. Nemesis Output

But it just seems like FNIS output 2 overwrites FNIS Output, so its as if I just ran the thing with Nemesis on. 

Are you able to clarify what you did here, please? 

When I got it working, the only animations I had FNIS build was Sexlab animations, everything else I had already ran Nemesis for. These extra animations were turned off.  After FNIS finished, I made FNIS Output 2 and turned off FNIS and FNIS Output while leaving Creatures on and putting FNIS Output 2 directly below FNIS Output and turning that on in its place. Only one FNIS Output should be on. I also kept Nemesis and Nemesis PCEA on throughout this process. Nemesis Output was not affected.

My load order at the end of it was

x FNIS SE

✓ FNIS Creatures

x FNIS Output

✓ FNIS Output 2

✓ Nemesis Unlimited Behavior Engine

✓ Project New Reign - Nemesis PCEA

- All other animation mods

✓ Nemesis Output

Try building FNIS again with only Sexlab animations, turning off Nemesis and animation mods that rely on or are preferred for it. Make the output file and turn it on, turning off previous outputs if available. Then turn on Nemesis and its mods and run. Make the output file, turn it on, and turn off previous outputs. Then once again turn on FNIS and build just Sexlab animations, but leave Nemesis and PCEA on. Make the output file, place it directly below the first one while turning that one off and this one on.

That should be it.

Hope it works for you.

8 hours ago, ee28 said:

When I got it working, the only animations I had FNIS build was Sexlab animations, everything else I had already ran Nemesis for. These extra animations were turned off.  After FNIS finished, I made FNIS Output 2 and turned off FNIS and FNIS Output while leaving Creatures on and putting FNIS Output 2 directly below FNIS Output and turning that on in its place. Only one FNIS Output should be on. I also kept Nemesis and Nemesis PCEA on throughout this process. Nemesis Output was not affected.

x FNIS SE

✓ FNIS Creatures

x FNIS Output

✓ FNIS Output 2

✓ Nemesis Output

Try building FNIS again with only Sexlab animations, turning off Nemesis and animation mods that rely on or are preferred for it. Make the output file and turn it on, turning off previous outputs if available. Then turn on Nemesis and its mods and run. Make the output file, turn it on, and turn off previous outputs. Then once again turn on FNIS and build just Sexlab animations, but leave Nemesis and PCEA on. Make the output file, place it directly below the first one while turning that one off and this one on.

That should be it.

Hope it works for you.

Hmm... I'll have to keep playing around with it. It seems close, mostly everything was working. But, PCEA had some animations that seemed like weren't registering. Thanks though!

On 6/10/2021 at 7:46 AM, ee28 said:

x FNIS SE

✓ FNIS Creatures

x FNIS Output

✓ FNIS Output 2

✓ Nemesis Output

That should be it.

Hope it works for you.

Letting you know and anyone else who might have my problem. It seems I needed a mix of the guide up top and what you did, don't know why and I want to find a more efficient way to generate this. But, here's the method I found that worked with PCEA and draugr/falmers.

1. Generate the Nemesis output using the guide from @Player80 (Nemesis_output_A). We don't need the FNIS output, but you need to generate that to generate nemesis

2. Generate the FNIS output 2 and Nemesis output from the guide from @ee28 (FNIS_output_B, Nemesis_output_B). 

3. In "meshes\actors\character\behaviors" of Nemesis_output_B, copy and paste the files from Nemesis_output_A

4. Keep the FNIS_Output_B and Nemesis_output_B on

5. Done. 

I guess somehow the way you generate worked for you and for your PCEA, but for me it didn't or I'm still misunderstanding what you did. But this might be a more explicit way to do it. 

This is how I finally made it work for me. Had to test on a fresh profile with only animations mods until I found the right order, then I tested it on a on-going save that wasn't working, and it worked.

0.-Deactivate Nemesis

1.-Generate FNIS files.

2.-Deactive ALL FNIS (Base, Creatures, Output)

3.-Run Nemesis

4.-Delete "meshes" folder from Nemesis Output (EDIT: Leave the character one, that is needed for Nemesis)

5.-Enable all FNIS

*.-Nemesis Output loads last of everything

**.-FNIS.esp is no longer needed(?). There's a mod that disables the dependecy for Xp32 and Sexlab

EDIT: Forgot to mention that while testing on a new profile, I noted that FNIS creatures had that gray lighting bolt meaning all its files were being overwritten by another mod -FNIS base-, which was weird, I don't touch those at all, but I decided to reinstall them (click on replace instead of merge), and also deleted all files inside FNIS/Nemesis Output mods before starting the above steps; just to have a "clean" start.
EDIT2: I noted that TUDM and Movement Behaviour Overhaul were missing a couple things, and I experimented with unhiding files from the nemesis output, I thought at first the scripts it generates, but they are fine, the thing was instead of deleting the whole meshes folder, delete all but the character one, only delete the creeatures folders.

Edited by urielmanx7

So I've managed to rebuild my skyrim modlist with nemesis and fnis (I previously had an annoying bug with draugr, and the male races in racemenu didn't have arms) and it seems important to delete most of what nemesis generates.

I created a file called "Clean Nemesis.bat" inside my Nemesis Output and I run it anytime I need to rebuild my animations.

del "./meshes" /F /S /Q
del "./FNIS.esp" /F /S /Q

This doesn't delete the folders, just the files inside /meshes and its subfolders.

1. I open up Nemesis output and run the cleaner (do not do this through MO2! Otherwise it will clean your virtual folder's meshes folder and subfolders, including everything from other mods like armor meshes). Alternatively you can simply manually remove the meshes folder and the FNIS.esp file

2. I disable Nemesis, I keep FNIS, FNIS - Output and Nemesis - Output enabled

3. I run FNIS

4. I disable FNIS, I enable Nemesis and I keep FNIS - Output and Nemesis - Output enabled

5. I run Nemesis

6. I enable the FNIS.esp from Nemesis (tho the comment right above me seems to imply that it isn't needed, I'll have to investigate)

I'll update the description when I can. My only issue at the moment is that female PC/NPCs will play the armbinder animation (from DD framework) when going into combat mode without any weapon equipped.

Edit: I ran into an issue with Movement Behavior Overhaul tho. Idk if it's because of some other mods I'm using (namely the DAR framework), but walking diagonally ended up in a T-Pose

Edited by Player80

I used the technique without creatures before to run FNIS with its own directory, then disable the mod (but not the output), and run nemesis with its directory enabled.  This works for everything but creatures.

I'm trying to install Billyy's animations for the lesbian stuff and PCEA2 since Leito's animobjects don't work, but get a crash before the game even successfully launches.

Not sure in regards to PCEA2 which mods need to be checked, unchecked, etc.  FNIS won't run correctly without it enabled, but Nemesis doesn't seem to like it at all when it is.  I'm not entirely sure where if any logs are created for the instant CTD, but I know as soon as I remove Billyy's anims and build without depending on PCEA2 it works.

FNIS+PCEA2 active, FNIS output active -> Build to FNIS folder

Disable FNIS and PCEA2

Enable Nemesis and Nemesis PCEA

Enable Nemesis Output

Build anims for Nemesis

Result: Crash

Any ideas what I might need to do?

Edited by KristyllLascivicious

Some minor updates.

I've tested it, and you don't have to disable nemesis when running FNIS, since FNIS is not aware of Nemesis's existence (this might change if Fores updates FNIS).

But, you do need to disable all FNIS (base, creatures and output) before running nemesis, otherwise, nemesis won't generate the appropriate files for some reason, I think this is because of the FNIS support for nemesis was only half way done, so you need to do things separately in order for they to work. You still need to go in and delete all creature folders from the nemesis's output "meshes" folder tho.

Another development; I think I found out why only falmer, draugr and giants are not working; if someone can confirm this, I believe to be Tk's Ultimate Combat, it just so happens that it has behavior files for these 3 races; furthermore, in my test setup, the animations stopped working as soon as I  added it and ran nemesis checking the patch for it. At this point, I have yet to test if checking the box for the patch fixes the animations, but I've already tried to hide the behavior files nemesis creates for those creatures and that didn't worked.

EDIT: OK, confirmed Ultimate combat was the culprit, just had to move it above FNIS output so it got overwritten by it, which makes sense, since FNIS generate patched behaviour files, also ran nemesis checking the patch; the thing now is if this will have an impact on Ultimate combat's functionality, further test is required.

Edited by urielmanx7
12 hours ago, KristyllLascivicious said:

I used the technique without creatures before to run FNIS with its own directory, then disable the mod (but not the output), and run nemesis with its directory enabled.  This works for everything but creatures.

I'm trying to install Billyy's animations for the lesbian stuff and PCEA2 since Leito's animobjects don't work, but get a crash before the game even successfully launches.

Not sure in regards to PCEA2 which mods need to be checked, unchecked, etc.  FNIS won't run correctly without it enabled, but Nemesis doesn't seem to like it at all when it is.  I'm not entirely sure where if any logs are created for the instant CTD, but I know as soon as I remove Billyy's anims and build without depending on PCEA2 it works.

FNIS+PCEA2 active, FNIS output active -> Build to FNIS folder

Disable FNIS and PCEA2

Enable Nemesis and Nemesis PCEA

Enable Nemesis Output

Build anims for Nemesis

Result: Crash

Any ideas what I might need to do?

Since there is a nemesis PCEA version, I would try not running the FNIS PCEA.
So just run FNIS, disable it, then run nemesis PCEA and last enable all.

10 hours ago, urielmanx7 said:

Since there is a nemesis PCEA version, I would try not running the FNIS PCEA.
So just run FNIS, disable it, then run nemesis PCEA and last enable all.

This leaves a warning in FNIS:

>>Warning: AnimationList found in  "Animations\FNIS_PCEA2", but no corresponding Behavior file. Incomplete mod IGNORED.<<

I'm not sure which mod it is, but it's after "Reading Defeat V5..."

Isn't this likely to make for an immensely unstable set of animations/cause game crashes?  Last time I got warnings in FNIS, no animations played at all except for idles.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 3:52 AM, Player80 said:

So I've managed to rebuild my skyrim modlist with nemesis and fnis (I previously had an annoying bug with draugr, and the male races in racemenu didn't have arms) and it seems important to delete most of what nemesis generates.

I created a file called "Clean Nemesis.bat" inside my Nemesis Output and I run it anytime I need to rebuild my animations.

del "./meshes" /F /S /Q
del "./FNIS.esp" /F /S /Q

This doesn't delete the folders, just the files inside /meshes and its subfolders.

1. I open up Nemesis output and run the cleaner (do not do this through MO2! Otherwise it will clean your virtual folder's meshes folder and subfolders, including everything from other mods like armor meshes). Alternatively you can simply manually remove the meshes folder and the FNIS.esp file

2. I disable Nemesis, I keep FNIS, FNIS - Output and Nemesis - Output enabled

3. I run FNIS

4. I disable FNIS, I enable Nemesis and I keep FNIS - Output and Nemesis - Output enabled

5. I run Nemesis

6. I enable the FNIS.esp from Nemesis (tho the comment right above me seems to imply that it isn't needed, I'll have to investigate)

I'll update the description when I can. My only issue at the moment is that female PC/NPCs will play the armbinder animation (from DD framework) when going into combat mode without any weapon equipped.

Edit: I ran into an issue with Movement Behavior Overhaul tho. Idk if it's because of some other mods I'm using (namely the DAR framework), but walking diagonally ended up in a T-Pose

Nemesis crashes for me halfway through the process.