Should I switch from oldrim to SE

I've been contemplating moving to SE but i'm really unfamiliar with what i can't bring from my current setup. I don't have that much but I would like someone who knows better about the current state of SE mods to tell me if i can achieve a similar setup. Basically I have:

- small part of STEP:CORE (by part i mean only the optimization stuff, bugfixes, topping it with Skyrim Realistic Overhaul)
- armor mods / immersive armors / unique uniques / cloaks of skyrim / immersive weapons / minidress collection for clothes
- all of the above replacers HDT bodyslide files
- SL framework and OSA with a bunch of their mods & animation packs
- some gameplay changes like tk dodge/ultimate combat & quality of life stuff like unread books glow
- AIO body mod from loverslab (the oldrim one HDT-PE) including its npc replacers (JH NPCs to be precise, i also have KZstyle for khajiits)
- aesthetic stuff like Beards, hair packs etc
- also wondering if all core stuff like skse, bodyslide, XPMSE, fnis, wyrebash, etc are properly working for SE

LMK, thanks.

Armor mods are easy ported, you can already find most of them for SSE.

SKSE64 is still in alpha but works pretty well.

Some must-have mods are already ported (LAL, USLEEP, SkyUI)

But about HDT you will find not too much at the moment.

SexLab has a beta for SSE, it is just a matter of time.

OSA probably will not be ported. But here I am not sure.

thanks for the quick reply,

that's nice, what about AIO and npc overhauls?

also, is SSE that much better than oldrim in terms of stability and performance? With the setup I'm running now, whatever fix I try I crash on loading a clean save game and it's those kind of things that make me wanna switch to ditch the old engine and wtv. (that crash seems to be because the game tries to load too many things at the same time on load and whatever memory tweaks I try doesn't seem to work)

Windows 10 64bit btw

SSE is way more stable than oldrim.

It is just a matter of time then SSE will fully replace oldrim.

Mods are ported slowly but are ported(JContainers was ported just today.)

feels good to know is just matter of time, thanks to all those people are working to give us finally a stable modded skyrim. I was modding my Oldrim for 2 years, installing, testing, cleaning, etc, after all that work i got a really light mod list and most "optimized" as posible and thought finally i could play without a CTD/Freeze, but no, there still CTD without reason, and random freezes, im sad to say bye to Oldrim, but i cant play anymore like this, constatly waiting a CTD or freeze, saving each 3 min, and that feeling when you jump/run, you feel a CTD coming. Looks like SE is the only one chance to play without that feeling, finally play my fantasy world without headache waiting a CTD. Also with SE i could install some DLC sized Mods and increase the game time life and fun, but the true fun is play without CTD.

SE strings counts limit is bigger than 65k (Oldrim) right?

wrong. Installing bloat mods like Legacy of the Fuck Your String Table will do exactly to 64 what they do to 32.

64 is more stable, it is not invincible. A couple of years from now ->SHOULD<- interest stay at the level it is now 64 will probably sport a " that one mod or good enough equivalent" chunk of mod range to fill in most of the current holes in 64's library, right now you're trading mod depth for load and cell transition stability and generally better threading due to dx11. Script and String stability is virtually identical with the caveat that Bethesda's frame resolve based scripting will execute much faster under 64 also thanks to dx11, until such time as you cram all those now converted scripty mods in there.

Honestly you can make Oldrim perfectly stable if you dont go overboard on mods. Im guilty of doing that a few times :tongue:

There are plenty of tweaks and mods you can use to make Oldrim run really good.

And some mods that crash on Oldrim also crashes on SSE so dont expect it to fix every crash by going to SSE.

Lot of modders have also quit. So im afraid that alot of mods might never see the daylight in SSE but who knows.

Maybe someone else might take over the mods and port them over.

Either way, Oldrim has so many mods that works fine today... so at least for my part i dont see any point to wait a year or 2 for mods that might or might never get ported over to SSE.

Since i can do everything in Oldrim today. But sure, its alot of work to make Oldrim stable.

And you can get around string counts with crash fixes.(to some degree)

But for a new person i guess it might be better to start with SSE if you dont get your expectations up and have a lot of patience waiting for everything to get ported over.

2 hours ago, 27X said:

wrong. Installing bloat mods like Legacy of the Fuck Your String Table will do exactly to 64 what they do to 32.

Oh, i don't install unnecessary mods like that, i wanted to say adventure DLC mods like summerset isle, my actual strings counts is 47k, i read somewhere i should have at least less than 56k at the start to have a chance to end the game, okay then 64 bits have the same mod limit as 32 bits, thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, shadow866 said:

Honestly you can make Oldrim perfectly stable if you dont go overboard on mods. Im guilty of doing that a few times :tongue:

But for a new person i guess it might be better to start with SSE if you dont get your expectations up and have a lot of patience waiting for everything to get ported over.

I don't have to many mods installed, i actually have 123 mods, some of them are essentials mods, like XPMSE and SkyUI, others are misc mods, like Take Notes, and FaceLight, Others mobs mods, like Genesis (maybe the most heavy mod i have), the rest are sexlab mods (just the neccesary mods), hairsstyles and performance patches. Maybe i exaggerated, i dont have CTD and Freeze frequently, last CTD i had was after dying, and last Freeze was after a sexlab PC/NPC scene (maybe too many animations), but SSE gives me the hope to avoid those CTD/Freezes, and gives me a chance to add some mods to my list (maybe i'm avoiding the incorrect mod right now). Maybe i became demanding and im looking for a perfect Oldrim without issues, that no exists.

Im not saying Oldrim can´t become stable, but that feeling that if you run during a fight, you will get CTD and lose all your progress, and you start playing like a tree, trying to not make much movement, that feeling makes me feel bored just after 5 min playing. How many times Ralof told you "at last you have awakened" just to know you are in a unstable game again.

Maybe i'm just trying to keep my hopes up for SSE, since a lot of people is moving from Oldrim to SSE, for "a better life" i guess. Thanks anyways, you give me a bit of hope to not abandon my Oldrim.

sorry for that long text, im not english speaker, im trying to explain me

7 hours ago, 27X said:

64 is more stable, it is not invincible. A couple of years from now ->SHOULD<- interest stay at the level it is now 64 will probably sport a " that one mod or good enough equivalent" chunk of mod range to fill in most of the current holes in 64's library, right now you're trading mod depth for load and cell transition stability and generally better threading due to dx11. Script and String stability is virtually identical with the caveat that Bethesda's frame resolve based scripting will execute much faster under 64 also thanks to dx11, until such time as you cram all those now converted scripty mods in there.

So that is probably what i am guilty off aswell getting above the string that is allowed skyrim too handle. but the problem is with sexlab and sla you already near the max skyrim can handle. so no wonder my skyrim was stable till sexlab is added.

So, update, I bought SE, currently setting up a mod based on this guide https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10484/

My problem though is that for oldrim i had STEP wiki that explained how to tweak and optimize my stuff and i could run oldrim at constant 60fps with some stutters. Currently on SE even at BethINI LOW preset i can't get constant 60fps like outside for example (riften market looking at the sitting guy from near the first little bridge near entrance i get like 46 fps).
There is like no stutters tho on loading cells etc. But i really need to optimize my shit man i hate not hitting 60 fps its psychological, it's kinda playable but i really enjoy fluid camera movement. any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

I would do it and go for SSE.

SSE is so much more stable and you don't gotta worry about random crashes out of the blue. Only time I've had any crashes were testing out some alpha mods which I wouldn't even use in a normal playthrough.

Playing oldrim and installing mods were so stressful, always on edge because sooner or later this bomb is gonna go boom and the inevitable random crash with no error is gonna happen, sometimes I got lucky and made a stable game, but I mean you add another mod and another sooner or later, it always ends in a crash.

With SSE, just download mods to you're hearts desire, 2k or 4k textures are nice too, I never used to use them in oldrim with it being so unstable. 

Luckly all the mods I use in oldrim minus Enhanced camera and Racemenu are all ported OR still work with SSE and work fantastic. I don't have to worry about crashes and I can just finally play and not be so on edge waiting for that crash to happen.

I don't really use HDT so I can easily move to SSE, the only thing I had a hard time leaving was Enhanced Camera and Racemenu(Which I don't mind leaving racemenu that much due to Enhanced Character Edit), Joy of perspective is pretty good, apparently super buggy but I haven't had any issues strangely enough, the only downside is not being able to use custom armors with JOP. But overall, for me, thats only a small bit of sacrifice and I don't mind it. 

1 hour ago, akayds said:

So, update, I bought SE, currently setting up a mod based on this guide https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10484/

My problem though is that for oldrim i had STEP wiki that explained how to tweak and optimize my stuff and i could run oldrim at constant 60fps with some stutters. Currently on SE even at BethINI LOW preset i can't get constant 60fps like outside for example (riften market looking at the sitting guy from near the first little bridge near entrance i get like 46 fps).
There is like no stutters tho on loading cells etc. But i really need to optimize my shit man i hate not hitting 60 fps its psychological, it's kinda playable but i really enjoy fluid camera movement. any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10547/ can help with FPS, it's not updated for latest SKSE, but there is instructions how to do it yourself in posts.

20 hours ago, Kaarinah said:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10547/ can help with FPS, it's not updated for latest SKSE, but there is instructions how to do it yourself in posts.

Thx yea i tried that already, not sure if it made an impact, still getting disappointing frames. Currently downloading https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10626/?tab=description hopefully it'll do something

EDIT: I found some big clues about my FPS problems, running mostly constant 60 fps now even with Skyrim Realistic Overhaul on. The answer was evident from the start but i'm an idiot. Anyway here's what I have so far that gives me the best performance result for my shit tier laptop.

- right under my cleaned master files in MO i got the half sized texture mod i just mentioned ^
- then i have SSE Fixes (search nexus)
- then i have Skyrim Project Optimization SE (search nexus)
- then i have Simply Optimized Textures for SSE (search nexus, i personally have the bsa+esp check in files section)
- on top of those ^ i added Enhanced Textures Detail (UV-tweaks) and Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

For the INI's (with BethINI) I clicked on default to reset the ini's, then i chose recommended tweaks and hit the BethINI Low preset. After that, I disabled TAA, FXAA, Vsync and the fps capper (option is like on the down left area). All of these are disabled from the game and pushed to NVidia profiler. So i have VSync, AA 4x, AF 16x withotu forgetting to cap fps at 60. Now I walk around most problematic areas like riften market with 60 fps capped and im on a MacBook Pro retina mid 2013 or late 2014 (forgot) 16gb ram (got that going for me at least) and GeForce GT 750m. Hope this helps another noob like me.

EDIT2: been expanding my setup with more mods etc. I am kind of back to disappointing fps but definitely playable. I have settled for dropping frames in some specific places in exchange for more stability. I mean I guess it also naturally looks better than oldrim as well so it's not like the frames hit is for nothing. The sacrifice is probably worth it untill I get a better pc.

Well, I used to play Oldrim but last week I bit the bullet and started playing the SSE, and haven't regretted it ever since. Most of the mods I used for immersion, needs, even erotic ones, are already functioning on SSE, and now there's the very clear advantage that I pretty much never deal with any CTDs. I've about 100 or more mods installed up to this point and I've only crashed once ever since last week, and it's since been solved. It's surprisingly stable so long as you do pay attention to the install instructions for mods and their potential conflicts, as it tends to be what is most likely to cause crashes at this time. Oldrim is fun and has so many more mods that I definitely miss but, it's not worth it crashing every 20 mins and having to start the game up again everytime.

On 2/18/2018 at 12:30 AM, D_ManXX2 said:

So that is probably what i am guilty off aswell getting above the string that is allowed skyrim too handle. but the problem is with sexlab and sla you already near the max skyrim can handle. so no wonder my skyrim was stable till sexlab is added.

I don't think SE has any sort of strings limitation like Oldrim does.  My regular load order is about 63k strings so I installed some additional mods to intentionally push myself above the old strings limit and played at over 74k strings for a few weeks without any issues at all.  Zero crashes, no slowdowns, no save issues.  My test setup included Legacy of the Dragonborn as well as both FG and Sexlab Light SE.

• 3 weeks later...

I hesitated for over a year before I plunged into installing SSE, but I'm glad that I did. I've been using SSE for the past week, and I recommend it to anyone who has staggered along with the 32bit memory limitation in Windows with the old Skyrim.

I'm running SSE with Windows 10 under bootcamp on a 8/9 year old Apple iMac with a 1 gig graphics card and 16 gig RAM. The game is now very fluid with no periodic stutters, before I used ENB but with SSE I don't feel I need it as many 3rd party mods generate some great imagery. I've yet to really miss anything from the old Skyrim, and I may end up deleting my Skyrim installation.  Some things may still be missing but the overall feeling is of a game that has matured and plays well, and better than its predecessor. I hope it continues to be supported, but how Bethesda might improve it or its successor, I do not know.  With Mod Organiser 2, Loot and SSEdit, I feel SSE is finally stabilised and running for better than before. Well pleased!

I think everyone has pretty much answered but I didn't see mention of one feature, with HDT & SKSE64 out, the only big thing still missing, is SSS. Maybe that fact is taken as being obvious but it may never come to SE. Apart from there being about 8000 shaders in the 64bit version, many of them, in Beths wisdom, are obfuscated. I think SLE had around 2000 shaders, and were easily decoded by Boris from ENBseries. Someone recently decompiled all the remaining shaders for Boris, so there is now a better chance, although true subsurface scattering support, remains a long shot.

5 hours ago, icyhugs said:

I would love to move to SE too, but have to wait for SKSE64 that I may get SAM body mode in SE, as well as all these lovely, sexy, spicy Loverslab sex mods XD Most of the mods in my oldrim are custom male npcs and sexy armor XDDD 

No point in waiting any longer for SKSE64. The current version has been out for months, works well, and the current sexlab beta has been out a month and is also working well. I made the move from 32bit to 64bit a month ago, and have nearly every mod I used in 32bit either from the nexus or converted myself for personal use. You can convert yours as well.

• 2 months later...

sure many of modder folks keep developing quality Sexlab mod for original Skyrim, but now it seems Steam offers only Special Edition which is obviously Bethesda being Bethesda, no hate on decision though.

But since I'm too much of sensitive in budget cut and deciding to buy from somewhere else(Shame on me), seems there is still Legendary Cd-key and Special Edition Cd-key.

But is Legendary one still a thing? I wrote this extremely obvious question for sake of my cowardice and concerns of Milk Mod Economy. I really love that mod, that's why I want to buy Skyrim but I digress.

I'm waiting for possible answers, I really need myself clear of this dilemma.