36 minutes ago, JBpy said:

Is there a mod that blocks ghouls settlers from spawning? If I see one I send them to The Slog and when it gets full I send them to Murkwaters, heh. 

Folks still use the beacon???? Pleeeeeaseeee tell me it ain't so!!! And I bet you'll go so far as to tell me people have the audacity to let Preston out of the Museum. LOL!

Seriously though, I haven't used the beacon in 5 years. Got tired of the riffraff real fast.

I've only seen mods that make the problem worse.

4 hours ago, JBpy said:

Is there a mod that blocks ghouls settlers from spawning? If I see one I send them to The Slog and when it gets full I send them to Murkwaters, heh. 

I want to say "Please don't call me Settler" did and I think one of the Settler beautification mods also blocks them. I know one of the Settler mods has options to reduce or zero ghoul settlers from spawning. I quit using one years ago and no longer recall its name

3 hours ago, izzyknows said:

Folks still use the beacon???? Pleeeeeaseeee tell me it ain't so!!! And I bet you'll go so far as to tell me people have the audacity to let Preston out of the Museum. LOL!

Seriously though, I haven't used the beacon in 5 years. Got tired of the riffraff real fast.

I've only seen mods that make the problem worse.

Lol, thats basically me, I haven't used the beacons in forever. Since using CW Captives I haven't. However I wanted a few ghouls to send to Slog and a few others so I spent an hour at a settlement, quick saved before activating it. had 2 settlers spawn and approach the place, got lucky and 1 was a female ghoul. 2nd I clicked and used the console command recycleactor, causes them to reset and cycle thru the probably thousands of combinations. Did that for awhile til I got a 2nd ghoul, a male. Sent them to the slog and destroyed the beacon.

Also I've not touched Preston in last 3 play thrus. I don't want to manage 2 dozen settlements and listen to him go "Hey General, we've got..." STFU Preston, NO. I am not dealing with the Minutemen this play thru. My current one has 8 settlements, and honestly thinking its 2 to many. They are spread out so I always have a safe house nearby and vendors to sell junk to. Also no caravans between them, each is independant. All run by captives I've rescued. For some reason.... enemies hate my ghouls... last 5 attacks have been the Slog, and its like Defense 50+, like 20 over the combined crops and water and still being attacked. I really need to build a wall around it.

I personally don't mind settlers, sometimes they annoy me. "hope you ain't one of them synths" I'm your landlord (and yes current character.. IS a synth, glowy eyes and mechanical voice). Or you can't trade or use vendors right after an attack because they only want to thank you for saving them, OR they complain even tho I have met every criteria to make them happy. ok, they often annoy me. However, I've used Showlooksmenu and given each settler a unique look which makes them look nice and I enjoy a large settlement town. However nothing kills that like building a awesome looking settlement and settlers... stand there, unable to reach anything or never go to bed. (Screw you Jamaica Plains).

10 hours ago, JBpy said:

Early on right after FO4 was released and I was playing vanilla, using the beacons, I turned the airport into a fenced-in pen with a sniper tower in one corner. I'd transfer unwanted settlers there from other parts of the commonwealth, and whenever it got full I'd sit on top of the tower and "empty" that settlement.

19 hours ago, Neodarkside said:

Since using CW Captives I haven't. However I wanted a few ghouls to send to Slog and a few others so I spent an hour at a settlement, quick saved before activating it.

This might help for the next time: Spawn Settler Button at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community . I use it though I don't do the save and reload loop. I just send them to a separate location that I use for "processing".

19 hours ago, Neodarkside said:

For some reason.... enemies hate my ghouls... last 5 attacks have been the Slog, and its like Defense 50+, like 20 over the combined crops and water and still being attacked. I really need to build a wall around it.

The calculation also goes off of what is stored in the settlement's workshop iirc (Oxhorn did a vid on that a few years back). The more stuff stored at a settlement the greater the chance of it being attacked. Sub 100 def (to be fair I often ramp up my settlements to 200-300 def) at a location you're regularly dropping stuff off at or that has a very productive food/water output (which The Slog does baseline thanks to the number of people it starts with) is a good way to ensure the place is going to be raided allot.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

The calculation also goes off of what is stored in the settlement's workshop

It has noting to do with what is stored.

From BS Defense cause I'm lazy.. and it works great. ;)

It gives you a DefenceStrength value (Your Defence Rating + Population of settlement) and gives the enemy an AttackStrength value (Your Food + Water ratings combined). It then takes the AttackStrength value and either adds on or takes away half of it, but that's not really important here though.

After that it adds a random number between 1 and 100 to both AttackStrength and DefenseStrength, to make the AttackRoll and DefenceRoll, and compares the two of them, having the bigger number be the winner.
The thing is though, that both AttackStrength and DefenceStrength are capped at 100. This means that the most you can do for a settlement is have a combined defence of 100(that's including population) before the game adds a random number from 1 to 100 during an attack.
Because of this cap there is no way to be sure that they'll win. However, AttackRoll is capped at 150(smaller than DefenceRoll's highest possible value of 200).

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

This might help for the next time: Spawn Settler Button at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community . I use it though I don't do the save and reload loop. I just send them to a separate location that I use for "processing".

The calculation also goes off of what is stored in the settlement's workshop iirc (Oxhorn did a vid on that a few years back). The more stuff stored at a settlement the greater the chance of it being attacked. Sub 100 def (to be fair I often ramp up my settlements to 200-300 def) at a location you're regularly dropping stuff off at or that has a very productive food/water output (which The Slog does baseline thanks to the number of people it starts with) is a good way to ensure the place is going to be raided allot.

Then in theory they should always be attacking Starlight Drive in. 13 settlers, 24 food, 14 water and thats where I store practically everything. Slog only has the original ghouls plus 2 more I sent there and only supplies kept there is whatever they farm up plus a small stock for repairing whatever is broken.

As for the settlers, I used a console command to spawn a few settlers and got a ghoul from that as well, sadly she bugged out on me and ended up getting her "accidentally" killed in a raider attack, oops...

@EgoBallistic A few more suggestions for MCM-selectable captor factions:

• The Forged (factionID=0013101d)
  • Children of Atom (but they would probably nail themselves up just for fun!) (00134270)
  • The Covenant Compound (00048641)
  • Triggermen @ Easy City Downs & Vault 114 (00083ad0)

From the DLCs:

• Church of the Children of Atom (xx02fb84)
  • Trappers (?)
  • Rust Devils @ Fort Hagen Satellite Array (xx004385)
  • Disciples (xx00f438)
  • Operators (xx00f439)
  • The Pack (xx00f43a)
4 hours ago, izzyknows said:

No. That's not how attacks are calculated. Read the spoiler in my post above.

There is a difference between the chance for the settlement to be attacked, which is what I was referring to, and the settlement's chance of success at defending itself if it is attacked (which is what the mod you linked to affects and the section you copy and pasted from it referrers to) if the player isn't there.

5 hours ago, Neodarkside said:

Then in theory they should always be attacking Starlight Drive in. 13 settlers, 24 food, 14 water and thats where I store practically everything. Slog only has the original ghouls plus 2 more I sent there and only supplies kept there is whatever they farm up plus a small stock for repairing whatever is broken.

As for the settlers, I used a console command to spawn a few settlers and got a ghoul from that as well, sadly she bugged out on me and ended up getting her "accidentally" killed in a raider attack, oops...

From bottomish portion of this section (so Vanilla values for the chance for a settlement to be attacked): Fallout 4 settlements | Fallout Wiki | Fandom

• Each point of defense lowers the chance of an attack by 1%.

• Each population unit lowers the chance of an attack by 0.5%, in addition to any other defensive value the settler provides.

• Each unit of food and water production at the settlement increases the chance of attack by 0.1%.

• Each edible and/or drinkable item stored in a settlement's workbench increases the chance of attack by 0.1%.

• The minimum chance of an attack upon a settlement per day is 2%, regardless of defenses. The maximum chance is unknown but assumed to be 100%. Whatever the chance is, a settlement cannot be attacked if it has already been attacked in the last 7 in-game days.

Check Slog's workshop inventory, it's probably gushing with purified water, tarberries and corn.

Just want to say I used this mod during my last major playthrough with the Vortex mod manager at around level 70 with 500 or so mods installed, it works fine. 

One small thing people might want to be aware of is that I entered a small building around the lexington area and I used the Just Business mod to quickly mark the two raiders there then swiftly sniped them out. Unfortunately one of the raiders fell prone literally inside one of the captives and bugged. Leaving the cell and reentering reset the downed raider so I marked them, took them out then talked to them like normal.

It says something that the closest I have to a complaint for this mod is that if you have two many npcs in a confined space Just Business might bug out.

Anyway this mod is now a guarranteed part of my gameplay going forward (so long as I can avoid borking the game by installing other bad mods)

@EgoBallistic  A couple of small bugs:

1. Sometimes captives are spawned  very close together. These two are superimposed. Sometimes the crosses are clipping through each other. Can there be a minimum distance between spawns?

ScreenShot99.jpg.7c2d4cc822dd04ac28adc23601a8018c.jpg

2.  I've seen this twice now, and it may be the problem @Farsh-nuke mentioned above. A raider is bound on the same cross as a captive. Releasing the captive immediately releases the raider. Ivy shot him straight away so i couldn't ask why he was there, but the settler was OK.

ScreenShot100.jpg.51f5a6b736b5616b0c8731594f34bd6e.jpg

57 minutes ago, dosfox said:

A couple of small bugs:

I think those are the same bug.  I think in the second pic, you actually have two identical crosses in the same spot, so it looks like both NPCs are on the same one.

I am definitely going to fix this.  The scripts already have code to try and avoid it, but I need to add a minimum distance as a failsafe.

1 hour ago, EgoBallistic said:

... I think in the second pic, you actually have two identical crosses in the same spot, so it looks like both NPCs are on the same one ...

Pretty sure it was the same cross, because when i released the female settler by dialogue, the raider was released at the same time. Also why would a raider be on one of their own crosses? (LOL how did he get the fourth nail in?)

2 hours ago, dosfox said:

Pretty sure it was the same cross, because when i released the female settler by dialogue, the raider was released at the same time. Also why would a raider be on one of their own crosses? (LOL how did he get the fourth nail in?)

If it was the same cross, the raider must have put himself on the cross.  The Commonwealth Captives scripts won't do anything to any other actors.  But, there could be a timing issue where the Raider decides to "sit" on the cross at the same time as the CC scripts place the captive on it, leading to both being on the same furniture.  I will look into it, but this is something that happens with vanilla furniture sometimes as well.

12 minutes ago, EgoBallistic said:

... there could be a timing issue where the Raider decides to "sit" on the cross at the same time ...

That's exactly what looks like happening. It's interesting that the captive and the raider both get released when the command is given to the captive. Good luck with fixing that - AAF hasn't solved it yet either!

Still having great fun playing with the mod. I take it back about suggesting BOS as a captor faction - it's good to have at least one hostile faction to "safely" use artillery and HE weapons on!

On 4/14/2021 at 12:00 AM, Neodarkside said:

I'd recommend using it now. It slides in seemlessly. The start as a captive idea would be rather interesting. I suppose you could even start as a Raider and set the captive to 100% and you play as a Raider who has a conscience and decided to free them and escape the raider gang.

Several of my characters have been slaves.  I often use the "Raider" option from Start Me Up, strip them naked, then use console commands to add what I want.  Usually that's a shock collar and the "wrist ropes" and "ankle ropes" from Commonwealth Captives (plus whip marks and tattoos from JBpy's mods).

5 hours ago, CPC47 said:

I've had a few ctds after assigning setters to locations -- right after confirming travel to location.  But if I fast travel to that location and assign them, no ctd.  

I haven't had any issues like that in testing and no one else has reported that kind of problem.

Are you using any mods that modify the settler system?  Were these vanilla settlements or ones added by a mod?

Would it be possible to add a despawn timer toggle? I ask because I just cleared out the museum of freedom and found two captives from this mod but left them as I was in the middle of a firefight and I knew there was a deathclaw to come. I reentered after the deathclaw fight and the captives were gone despite the bodies of the raiders still being on the ground. 

I know a despawn timer is needed and I consider this a lesson learned but a warning in the mcm about when captives despawn would be good

23 minutes ago, Farsh-nuke said:

Would it be possible to add a despawn timer toggle? I ask because I just cleared out the museum of freedom and found two captives from this mod but left them as I was in the middle of a firefight and I knew there was a deathclaw to come. I reentered after the deathclaw fight and the captives were gone despite the bodies of the raiders still being on the ground. 

I know a despawn timer is needed and I consider this a lesson learned but a warning in the mcm about when captives despawn would be good

You could have jumped off the back of the museum, got away from Concord and sent your new settlers someplace safe. Or... used them as cannon fodder, they are protected. ;)

Also, if you clear a location and just leave them restrained. They will have no problem freeing themselves, as you learned. :P