Modders: What are we modding for?

2 hours ago, Azzhat said:

what would you consider an appropriate measure of thanks

My experience may be limited but what I enjoy most is just seeing people writing down their opinion, an honest one. Even if its just a complain about how things are right now. This shows intrest more than any number can do.

Tho I admit, I wouldnt do that on Nexus, it may sound mean but most of the time when I see someone on Nexus doing a critical comment, they just end up being turned down with basically "Your opinion just sucks. Gtfo"

I dont know why that is. Maybe its the community, maybe its the modders. Maybe its just Nexus itself (it does look very isolated compared to LL) 

On LL, I do consider likes a form of appreciation neitherless, just because you have to do them manually. People here usually dont like things because "Yeye, there I liked it. Just get this stupid reminder away from my screen" but Likes usually dont help you going forward, they only agree with the things you already did so its harder to actually get a hold on what people actually think

5 hours ago, Azzhat said:

what would you consider an appropriate measure of thanks?

Posting what you like / dislike and why.

That shows me that you spend your free time to use the mod and for writing down your thoughts about it.

Likes or Thumbs up are pretty worthless, they were just inveted because they're easier to handle for computers than expressions in text form.

6 hours ago, Azzhat said:

Not a mod creator, but I do have a question in regards to this. As someone who uses mods on a bunch of his games, what would you consider an appropriate measure of thanks? A thumbs up? A comment thanking you for making it? I honestly thought those two were one and the same but a mod author on Nexus stated, if you enjoyed the mod, make sure to comment and give thanks, as it inspires us to keep making more. Is that the case? I've already been blocked by two authors on Nexus due to some sort of misunderstanding, and I'd prefer to not piss off the people who go out of their way to make my games more enjoyable. 

It is always nice to get a short feedback mail from a user that likes your mod in the support section of the mod (and what is maybe missing).

56 minutes ago, Surverx said:

It is always nice to get a short feedback mail from a user that likes your mod in the support section of the mod (and what is maybe missing).

So far all of you have responded with relatively the same thing. And I will endeavor to start doing as you suggested from now on. However, feedback isn't always appreciated I've noticed. One of the mod authors that blocked me, blocked me because of feedback. Christopher4684 created a vampire overhaul called Sanguinare for SSE, and he made all the Volkihar vampires into Vampire Lords, I asked why, simply because it didn't make sense to me, and I presented my reasoning. I also presented some suggestions for some features already added into the mod. I was blocked shortly afterwards. 

53 minutes ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

The day they gave moderation rights to mod authors, I knew it would be abused. Many have made complaints over fair criticism and still being banned from downloading a modder's work. I think the most they could've given them is blocking someone from commenting on their mod page. I still don't think that's right, but there are people who go too far with the comment. The problem is, people without bad intentions get lumped in there. Maybe try to get it appealed by the Nexus moderators.

Never gonna happen, Nexus is a shitshow with preferential treatment based on what the website can earn from a modder. If they removed this right, entitled modders would be outraged and make threats.

Edit For example: If they reduced Arthmoor's ability to flex his ego he would spit the dummy.

11 minutes ago, Yinkle said:

Never gonna happen, Nexus is a shitshow with preferential treatment based on what the website can earn from a modder. If they removed this right, entitled modders would be outraged and make threats.

Nexus even says it's not getting involved. I tried appealing to the mod author via messenger. He simply refused to respond to my message. It's okay though. I made a separate account and download his mods from that.

5 minutes ago, Azzhat said:

He simply refused to respond to my message. It's okay though. I made a separate account and download his mods from that.

The point is that this shoudn't need to happen. If modders want to have this level of control they should self host...

21 minutes ago, Yinkle said:

The point is that this shoudn't need to happen. If modders want to have this level of control they should self host...

Well my question is, even with that factored in, should I still post feedback? 

13 minutes ago, Azzhat said:

Well my question is, even with that factored in, should I still post feedback? 

Good point. My advice to users wanting a "peaceful" experience on the Nexus would be to submit feedback via pm to the mod author rather than risking issues in the mod posts.

Edit: this way you can mitigate potential angry reactions from mod authors with an ego problem.

Regarding Nexus:

While i do understand some of your points (i made my own "expericene" with Nexus user when i posted a link to my mod there ? ) we should try to not slip into a total Nexus bashing orgy.  Because:

1. we still need some mods from them ?

2. they still have a lot of 1. class modders

41 minutes ago, Surverx said:

Regarding Nexus:

While i do understand some of your points (i made my own "expericene" with Nexus user when i posted a link to my mod there ? ) we should try to not slip into a total Nexus bashing orgy.  Because:

1. we still need some mods from them ?

2. they still have a lot of 1. class modders

One of those modders is AWP3RATOR. He's on here at LL as well. The man is a saint. He's been very kind and understanding. Agreed to my requests on numerous occasions, and even asked for my feedback on a mod he was working on. I owe him a lot.

11 hours ago, Azzhat said:

Not a mod creator, but I do have a question in regards to this. As someone who uses mods on a bunch of his games, what would you consider an appropriate measure of thanks? A thumbs up? A comment thanking you for making it? I honestly thought those two were one and the same but a mod author on Nexus stated, if you enjoyed the mod, make sure to comment and give thanks, as it inspires us to keep making more. Is that the case? I've already been blocked by two authors on Nexus due to some sort of misunderstanding, and I'd prefer to not piss off the people who go out of their way to make my games more enjoyable. 

I think a thumbs up is enough. In my case, just one thumbs up in a newly released mod is proof it worked in another computer.

In fact, all my mods in the Nexus have both comments and bug sections closed. I profiled the majority of Nexus users and I know most of them hate the stuff I'm pouring there, so to avoid the toxicity I just leave it closed. I only upload stuff there out of respect for the people who provided me so many good mods. Without mods Skyrim would be dead right now.

3 hours ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

Then the mods there haven't changed one bit. Not surprised.

Everyday its a new Whiterun overhaul.

Today I noticed just another for Whiterun's roofs. This time, red roofs.

And also another house in Whiterun. If we could put one house mod on top of another, the city would lost its rustic flair.

I think most modders there wanted to have a farm, but confined to apartments in polluted cities, decided to make their dreams real after installing Skyrim and the CK.

So now you can play farm simulator in the CK, and the rewards are the endorsements from the Nexus userbase, also potential farmers.

One thing I noticed in the "muh immersion" crowd: they complain a lot about the lack of voiced followers, but none of them complain about the lack of followers with perks. I think they wanted a movie, but were unsure about it.

4 hours ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

Then the mods there haven't changed one bit. Not surprised.

Nexus...lol.  Uploading there is like giving mods to someone else's Patreon.  Modding for the masses is a waste of effort since the majority are too dumb to understand what modding a backwards assed Bethesda game really entails.

And now that I mentioned them by name Lady Mila-cunt will visit the-land-of-make-believe and ban me again...for like the 10th time since 2013. ? I swear like every six months 'Kendo2 is banned' pops up in my feed and the funny thing is I've physically moved three times and I've had maybe 5 new IPs since I got banned at Nexus.  Those retards don't know my IP or who they're banning.  Last year it got to the point to where I had to PM JimUK, give him my REAL IP and ask him to stop Lady Mila and her pathetic Karen 'omg Kendo' bullshit.

Anyway...Nexus moderators and their knob-gobbler overlord Dark0ne scamming members while his staff goosesteps allover people is a good thing...kinda like when feminist sites 'need donations' to keep doing whateveritis the fuck they do going.  Nexus; the home base of gamer Leftists and fanbois...so a massive douche (that's you, Dork0ne) bilking other douches (your suckers/members) out of cash is comedy gold.  No way to pay for those ass-pounding Greek island vacations without them...the cum-drunk bitch.

14 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

Nexus...lol.  Uploading there is like giving mods to someone else's Patreon.  Modding for the masses is a waste of effort since the majority are too dumb to understand what modding a backwards assed Bethesda game really entails.

And now that I mentioned them by name Lady Mila-cunt will visit the-land-of-make-believe and ban me again...for like the 10th time since 2013. ? I swear like every six months 'Kendo2 is banned' pops up in my feed and the funny thing is I've physically moved three times and I've had maybe 5 new IPs since I got banned at Nexus.  Those retards don't know my IP or who they're banning.  Last year it got to the point to where I had to PM JimUK, give him my REAL IP and ask him to stop Lady Mila and her pathetic Karen 'omg Kendo' bullshit.

Anyway...Nexus moderators and their knob-gobbler overlord Dark0ne scamming members while his staff goosesteps allover people is a good thing...kinda like when feminist sites 'need donations' to keep doing whateveritis the fuck they do going.  Nexus; the home base of gamer Leftists and fanbois...so a massive douche (that's you, Dork0ne) bilking other douches (your suckers/members) out of cash is comedy gold.  No way to pay for those ass-pounding Greek island vacations without them...the cum-drunk bitch.

You don't like them, right?

21 hours ago, Captain Cobra said:

I mod because when you have exquisite taste in big tiddy mods, you basically have to convert everything yourself.

Is there a better reason to mod?  :P

22 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

I lurv Nexus.  What are you talking about?

We all know you really love Nexus..... You love them to DEATH ! :P

Speaking of Nexus, wonder how long before your most recent post on this thread are deleted? 

Clean up on Page 4!

LOL...

Started using mods in skse dec last year.

It needed 4 new installations until I got an rough idea what using mods means.

Now I call me junior user, as I got a setup stable running and modified some mods.

If I have the feeling or find a bug I will give feedback with great respect to all of you

creating this mods.

It is quit strange, I love to play the game, however, if I face the slightest problem with a function

I cannot stop to investigate and spend hours to find out whats the reason is.

At the moment my setup touched 500 active mods and still cannot stop to add new things.

Like an addiction.

All this fun I expirienced would not be possible without you guys creating this mods.

If everybody would follow this logic of "I'm not going to share, because someone in Patreon will use it for profits" then we would not have mods in the first place. Modders would be inside their own bubbles, and the lack of synergy between the mods would lead to a even greater stagnation.

There's nothing we can do against Patreon. The main culprit there is not even the mod thieves, but those who are paying them: the millennial hipster soyboy, who is against P2P and serve corporate interests, like the good cuckold he is. Thats why we can play Super Mario and Star Wars in Skyrim, but cant go to Elsweyr. They also complain about the lack of voiced followers, because they dont want a game, they want a interactive movie.

The best you can do is to distribute the big stuff (more than 1gb) in a torrent format. And make stuff which wont give money, and cant be merged easily. Millennials dont like hard content, so make content with high difficulty by default. The hardcore crowd is small and dont pay for stuff.

• 1 month later...

Some interesting insight from 2015- https://www.quora.com/How-do-game-developers-feel-about-game-modding-mods

"If a game is based on valuable intellectual property or a strong brand, the developers might be legally obligated to shut down mods as the mods could dilute ownership of the IP or reputation of the brand."- from one Christopher Burke

Old info, but still a good feel for what devs think about modding games. I mod games for nudity and sex whenever I can. Unfortunately most devs and publishers hate that. If art is a reflection of society, then we need a clearer, more accurate reflection. That can only come from many people's view. :classic_wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Many interesting views in this topic, so these are my 2 cents:

No idea how many downloads I made over the years with my mods, lost track along the way. I never counted the likes, maybe because I'm one of those lazy af mod users who always forget to like the mods I use... I really appreciate all the mods I'm using, just forget to hit that bloody button most of the time.

I can only speak for myself, I mod, sometimes because I want to have something specific in my game, sometimes just because I can, and because I enjoy doing it. Don't even know why I started in the first place, but today I consider it a hobby and as long as I enjoy it I'll continue. My intentions for releasing my mods were, and still are, to give something back to the community. Without all those tutorials, tools and many helpful people, I would never been able to create them and would, maybe, never found this hobby.

Never gave much attention to the numbers, downloads, likes, don't matter that much to me. Why? I mod for myself, always have and will do so in future. If somebody leave a comment on my mod means more to me then all the likes and downloads, not the disgusting or hateful comments of course, but nobody forces ppl to use my mods, right? Sadly some ppl think I make mods for their amusement, well I don't and if there are to many hateful comments, I'll pack my mods and leave.

The comments/conversations were the reasons why I kept going, improving my mods, learn something to achieve a set goal, and help others out to achieve theirs and sometimes achieve something together.

For me it's all about making the mod, and see the result, not getting attention for it, maybe that's why most of the stuff I created I never released (or just because I don't like to write mod descriptions just to explain it again to some ppl who don't read, but that's another story)

cheers. ave