things to do during depression

I think you should consider the possibility that people around you are pretending things are worse than they are. Where is free speech dying? What is wrong with culture?

Some people want to sell you things. They want you to be sad and scared so you will buy them. This is common pattern everywhere in society.

The truth is: everything is pretty good. We have serious problems, but we can handle them. We have lots of cool stuff and in most places life is better than it's ever been, or close to it. I'm sorry you're depressed. I can't tell you to cheer up because I know it doesn't work that way. But don't let your depression turn to bitterness and rage because it will make it harder to recover.

32 minutes ago, kinghulk said:

seriously vtmb2 and biomutant are the only reasons worth continuing living for now anime is dying along with comics and free speech

You could do what people did before complaining about SJWS.

Suck it up.

Depends on what type of depression.  There is no magic bullet other than drugs,  which dull the brain and ultimately don't work. If you are still breathing I suspect there is something which is making you stay in that state. Therefore fixate on that thing, chip away and make sure that that thing which still keeps you breathing can continue(*). The continuing bit tends to expand due to external life issues and viola you are back in the hell hole which is "normality". Umm probably doesn't help. (however I can make a mean cake, and don't mind climbing up really crumbly rock faces anymore).

(*)The trick obviously being if, in the cold light of day, that thing is just a bit weird, find a substitute thing),.

ps

If you do try to top yourself, paracetamol is a really really horrible way to go if you get the dosage wrong.

21 minutes ago, Seijin8 said:

Suck it up.

Don't do it! I mean unless you want to do it. Nobody is forcing you. (˵ ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°˵)ノ⌒♡*:・。.

On a more serious note stop reading the news. They make a living off of depressing people. I'm sure you will find something to tide you over.

+1 for talking to real people

Whether it's the news, the internet or whatever, there's a risk you end up living in an abstract world where things that annoy or scare you take prevalence. Having regular contact with real people - family, friends, even shop assistants or whatever - keeps you grounded.

Getting mad and venting usually snaps me out of it. You had the right idea with your earlier thread, just not the kind of subject that is accepted here. Someone once told me that depression results from pent up frustration/anger in the first place, though that is just one person's unprofessional opinion.

43 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Getting mad and venting usually snaps me out of it. You had the right idea with your earlier thread, just not the kind of subject that is accepted here. Someone once told me that depression results from pent up frustration/anger in the first place, though that is just one person's unprofessional opinion.

Metal

Nuff said

aggretsuko_death_metal_office.png?itok=p

Believe it or not, depression could be caused by a simple lack of a vitamin or mineral. It's why diet and exercise are the first things a person needs to look at when trying to combat depression. If you are doing those two things and still depressed, then it's time to go deeper and do some interpersonal exploration by utilizing mindfulness or using the mindfulness of a therapist. It's the skeleton key that gets in there and unlocks doors. A therapist takes longer though because you first have to open up to them. You are the only person who knows you best and a therapist will only know what you tell them. It's why therapy doesn't work for a lot of people, but when combating mental illnesses, therapy is 80% of recovery. The meds only allow you to feel better so that you can deal with whatever problems you have. Therapy and meds go hand in hand. For some people, they only want meds and is why they never work for them entirely. They can't do the therapy. So the only other option one has is to be mindful. Sadly, a lot of people don't even know how to do it. It's hard, but it's a vital and priceless tool to have when it comes to mental health or just knowing yourself.

Mindfulness works by allowing you to see patterns by being aware of what you are thinking and feeling. Once you see patterns, then you see the triggers that cause certain emotions and or patterns that lead to emotions. Once you know the triggers, then you can avoid them most of the time. The best way to experience it is to meditate. The act of meditating causes you to be mindful. Once you get better at it, you don't need the meditation because it comes naturally. When I first started being mindful, it was hard to get myself in that state. Now it's on all the time. I don't even have to think about it. You can also use it for other things as well. Things like emotional intelligence and situational awareness. Trust me, I used to be "bed ridden" depressed. I just had no motivation for anything and always looked at everything negatively. Now, looking back, I don't even recognize my old self. 

This is the video that taught me how to become mindful. Paul Ekman is the guy who discovered micro expressions. I hope it helps you...

On 5/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, Doctor Cadaver said:

The internet is the worst place to confide to about your personal problems.  I found that out years ago.  Talk to a therapist or a loved one for ACTUAL support, instead of wasting time in this thread.  Because at the end of the day, you'll get nothing but conflicting opinions while leaving you further confused.

Good luck.

This. I know this is a week old but this is the most solid advice here. The biggest issue when talking to the public is that a lot of people don't even believe in depression or most mental illnesses. Most just think it's some status that you put next to you post on facebook or a fleeting feeling you get when you drop your mocha.

20 hours ago, Firebird V said:

This. I know this is a week old but this is the most solid advice here. The biggest issue when talking to the public is that a lot of people don't even believe in depression or most mental illnesses. Most just think it's some status that you put next to you post on facebook or a fleeting feeling you get when you drop your mocha.

I totally disagree with both of these quotes. The internet is a virtual library and communication tool used on a massive scale that spans continents. How could it be the "worst" place to seek advice or information? I can think of several places that would be "worse". Places like a crack house come to mind. 

The problem is people need to know how to look up information. They need to know how to navigate a rabbit hole and find the carrot of information that the rabbit is eating. You can find useful information on sites that are totally unrelated to the topic at hand. Just because a site or forum doesn't  promote the topic, it doesn't mean that the user base doesn't have useful knowledge or insight about it based on their experiences. You don't to take everything at face value though. But if you look for patterns and consistency, then you are gathering the information that you need. It's called research. That is what you have to do in order to piece together the information you are seeking. Bit by bit, word by word, piece by piece. You may read an article about the topic and see words that are unfamiliar to you. Google those words, find their meanings. It may broaden your knowledge even further. That is how you look for information online. You don't just discredit sites simply because they are not geared for the topic. You are doing yourself a huge disservice when you do that.

I kind of feel like people that discredit the internet in this way are people that simply don't how to use it. I have a friend like this and he will argue with me all day long about how youtube comments are useless because it's all "trolling". Some of it is, but there are a few comments that may give you more insight or take you down another path about the video you just watched which furthers your knowledge. 

I know in my exploration with my depression years ago, I saw a therapist one time and got put on Prozac. Within 3 months I stopped taking the Prozac because it made me emotionless. It's good to not be depressed but not at the cost of desire or the good feelings. I knew I had to take another approach. I went down a rabbit hole, did some research online and now I'm 98% free of depression. The only times I get "down" or depressed is if some event happens, like a job lose or death. If it wasn't for the internet, I would still be in my bed thinking life isn't worth living. 

^ Plus extensive research is usually way too much to ask of someone who is depressed. Even the fastest and most efficient paths back to the surface are always going to be difficult in this state, but not everything difficult is good either, so that uncertainty of choice is demotivating too.

I'll add what I think is the right path to this suggestion pool though, what ISNAN said. Mindfulness meditation helps a lot if you can manage it, exercising and varying up diet provides a stimulating boost too. It's difficult, but it makes a big positive impact in a big percentage of people and it does it quickly, so it's a good bet.

I'm looking forward to Werewolf, myself.

Here's what i did to recover from my near despair doomer lifestyle that lasted for around 5 or 6 months. Take a step back. This allows you room to observe and assess situations. If you're in a problem and that's what's fuelling your depression, then focus on possible solutions. Or if you're unsure of what the problem is, try to do a process of elimination of each perceived problem and narrow down to the real problem, and then focus on the solution instead of getting hung up on the problem itself.

If the problem is more impersonal, like getting so jaded from everything that's going on in the world (Far sided fringe politics and radicalisation, culture war, racial tension, politics, censorship, you know, the ever delicious clown world shit?) then simply detach from it all. Take a break and realise that most of it is out of your control, and that there is no point in what's going on in some other place or some shit. The rabbit hole effect, the deeper you go the more jaded you become, and before you know it you're living the doomer life. Just focus on something else entirely, talk to a bunch of bloomers or some something lol, they'll cheer you up. They're former jaded doomers.

Also, realise that there is really no point in killing yourself. I understand that pain can be sometimes unbearable but truth be told, we all die eventually. So why not wait for death like everyone else? If we gotta leave then better later than sooner. That's how i see it. And besides, if you've got people that want you dead and will be ecstatic to see you die, then it's all the more reason to stick around and spite them.

Wish I could help you but my depression has been left largely unattended for the past few years and I'm sort of waiting for it to probably kill me. Meds help me but that's about it, every time I face reality I just feel worse. I know this does fuck all but if I could I'd pass whatever will to live I have left to you so that maybe I can put an end to this pitiful existence. Hope you feel better soon, cheers.

12 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

Since humans in general are social creatures: connecting to others, whether it be emotionally, physically or spiritually is often helpful in personal matters.  And I find it difficult to connect with something lifeless and completely untrustworthy: such as the internet.

It sounds to me like you've given up too soon in regards to that, thanks to one bad real-life experience.  Maybe when you're feeling down again, you should give it another chance.

I think you misunderstood what I meant about the internet. I was just using it as a research tool to help me in my interpersonal journey to find out more about depression and the mind. I wasn't using it as an escape for my depression. I totally agree about human interactions, but when you are depressed and don't know what is going on, it's hard to get answers from friends or family that are just as clueless about it as I was. Being around them helped change my moods sometimes, but the party ends at some point and you are right back to being depressed. 

The internet isn't a lifeless entity. The infrastructure is, but the data that is on it was put there by us humans, so there is a level of human connection when using the internet. It's an extension of human interaction much like we are doing now on this forum. We are having a discussion about depression and useful bits of info are being typed and dis-played as text. Someone may come across this post years up the road and it may or may not help them. That is the idea I was talking about.

6 hours ago, stingray1995 said:

Heartless bastards...

Thanks for your deep insight.  Were you here for the previous thread the OP started?  The one the moderators shut down twenty minutes before this pile of garbage showed up?  The one where the OP blamed every problem in the world on everyone but himself?  No?  You missed that part?  Okay, well have you offered up anything useful?  No?

So you're both hand-wringing whiners?  Swell.

• 2 weeks later...

When this illness I live with got to the point where I could no longer do any of the things I enjoyed doing I thought my life was over and I got more than just a little depressed.  So I got my GP to refer me to a therapist through our local mental health service.  I made it plain to them that I wasn't looking for a cure since there isn't one.  What I wanted was some support while I got myself used to my changed circumstances and how I was going to have to live my life from now on.  And it was good.  My therapist helped me a lot and I got myself sorted out.  Mostly it was about seeing what the issues were and seeing what could be done about them.  With some stuff nothing could be done so it was a case of not me giving them anymore attention and not wasting my time getting upset about it.  Some stuff I could fix so I worked on that.  It's all about reality checking and moving on past the stuff that doesn't matter anymore.

A previous poster mentioned basic self care stuff.  So I'll emphasise the need to eat properly and regularly and to stay hydrated and also to get into a proper sleep routine.  The last one is a bit of a laugh for me since I have a severe form of narcolepsy,  but it's still valid.  Getting out for some form of exercise is important as well.  I can only do that one if someone is with me since I get catalepsy episodes sometimes.

Antidepressants can help, but they are only a first aid kind of thing to get some serotonin functionality back into your brain.  It's proper therapy that makes the difference and will be the thing that does the most good.

I don't have television, I don't read newspapers and I don't use social media.  I know there's some shitty stuff going on in the world, but I can't do personally anything about it so I don't give it any attention.  I know I'm lucky because I live in a country that doesn't have madmen in power so I don't have to worry so much, but it still holds that what you focus your attention on is important.  Even a cruddy life situation will still have its good bits so that's what needs to be focused on and energy put into making the good bits better and not sweating over what can't be changed.

• 4 weeks later...

True, the world is shit but at least you're not a war victim or heroin addict starving to death in the Middle East. Be thankful that you have clean water, food, shelter and loving family, those are things many people didnt have and still dont have in this day and age.

Anyway this video is really nice in explaining the philosophy of suicide. I'm actually pro suicide, but maybe try get therapy and meds before you consider it. Just to get a taste of life in general. Things could go over well you know. I'm not here to stop you from suicide, just to offer you some options before you decide to KYS.

I admit it, I was pretty jaded in general a few years ago (climate change, late stage capitalism, the resurgence of neo nazis in the west, refugee crisises and depressed wages...) but I learnt to cope by deleting the echo chamber that is the internet from my life and picking up a sport that let me get into contact with people - in my case skateboarding.

Trust me, the internet is full of manufactured outrage; dont let it take over your life. 

Archived