18 minutes ago, gooser said:

I've used this mod a bit. lately when my PC is cuffed, I cannot bring up the menu to use keys, struggle, etc. It just doesn't show. Usually I hit the button to bring up inventory and that's when it shows.

Others have reported this occurs when you're also using mods which attempt to override the pause on accessing the Pip-Boy, for example FallSouls.

3 hours ago, JUSSME said:

How do you escape the handcuffs? I got handcuffed with AAF violate. I thought I might be able to talk with NPC until one might try to help me but I can't. I am far away from a settlement.

You can find keys in police stations, which you can pickup & use, try to pick them, if you have at least 1 point in locksmith and bobby pin. Or if all else fails, use the MCM/Debug menu to force them off.

12 hours ago, gooser said:

I've used this mod a bit. lately when my PC is cuffed, I cannot bring up the menu to use keys, struggle, etc. It just doesn't show. Usually I hit the button to bring up inventory and that's when it shows.

Yeah, we had reports of this before. No idea why it happens for some people, but you can try the following workaround:

• open MCM
  • go to Real Handcuffs -> Hotkey Settings
  • under Player, assign a hotkey to Interact with Bonds (Fallback)
  • close MCM and try if using this hotkey works
8 hours ago, JUSSME said:

How do you escape the handcuffs? I got handcuffed with AAF violate. I thought I might be able to talk with NPC until one might try to help me but I can't. I am far away from a settlement.

4 hours ago, izzyknows said:

You can find keys in police stations, which you can pickup & use, try to pick them, if you have at least 1 point in locksmith and bobby pin. Or if all else fails, use the MCM/Debug menu to force them off.

Or take it as a challenge: Get to a settlement without getting killed by the creatures of the wasteland.

21 minutes ago, Kharos said:

Or take it as a challenge: Get to a settlement without getting killed by the creatures of the wasteland.

lol, I just debugged it. I got crippled after I ran away

Edited by JUSSME

You should be able to open the archive in the file explorer. I wouldn't recommend trying to install this "manually" (without a mod manager of some kind) though, because it needs something to parse the FOMOD installer menu included in the archive in order to determine which files to put where.

3 hours ago, Sasha L. Cohen said:

Call me braindead, what's a simple direct way to install w/o using Vortex. It keeps saying the download file is "broken" regardless of the form I use. 7zip, rar regular zip etc- it simply will not read the file and install it.

7zip should open the file, though I do not recomment installing it manually. You should install with a mod manager. Vortex should work.
Maybe your download is actually corrupt. What happens when you use the 7zip "test archive" function?

test_archive.png.d7d000f61ac8dbc6dedff945e999c8ec.png

test_succeeded.png.85c29b2ccf58f46cd19e8e11f457345d.png

On 8/4/2021 at 10:05 AM, naaitsab said:

Also temporary disable anti-virus/malware protection. Some are known to false positive at nothing and lock the file.

Personally I would recommend using ModOrganiser2 it's a lot better than Vortex to mange mods.

Downloaded it, set it up, used it. WOW. Very good program. Installed Handcuffs no problem. THANKS!

21 minutes ago, Sasha L. Cohen said:

Downloaded it, set it up, used it. WOW. Very good program. Installed Handcuffs no problem. THANKS!

No worries. Most people with weird modding problems seem to be related to using Vortex. Not sure why anybody would use that with Skyrim/Fallout in the first place as MO2 is better in every regard, but I'm guessing it's due to Nexusmods promoting it heavily on the site.

1 hour ago, naaitsab said:

No worries. Most people with weird modding problems seem to be related to using Vortex. Not sure why anybody would use that with Skyrim/Fallout in the first place as MO2 is better in every regard, but I'm guessing it's due to Nexusmods promoting it heavily on the site.

Before Nexus imploded, it was rather nice to be able to click one button and be notified of all the mods you had installed for which newer versions were now available, without having to follow the development and releases of every single one you're using and spot updates on your own (in my case I play with over 500 mods installed, so that's a lot of time savings). Roughly half my mods were from LL though, so I still had to track updates for those manually, and now that more of the mods I'm using have moved off Nexus, I agree MO2 is looking increasingly attractive.

I do still prefer Vortex's sieve solution for resolving file conflicts, as well as their rule-based approach to plugin ordering, and I'm not convinced MO2's virtual filesystem approach is ideal given how it seems to confuse a number of tools and so requires careful configuration to teach them where to find things. But all in all it seems to have a dedicated community and ongoing maintenance, so I'm sure it's a fine choice for a mod manager.

On 8/5/2021 at 4:58 AM, BurnerAc said:

I’m stuck in hardcore mode with the mod config so I can’t change any of the settings for the mod even after I removed the handcuffs from my player 

Are you wearing a shock collar?

[Edit] Another option is, you might have cut the handcuffs at the workbench but still be wearing the broken handcuffs. Basically for the settings to be available you need to be totally free - not wearing handcuffs, not wearing broken handcuffs, not wearing a shock collar.

Edited by Kharos
14 hours ago, vaultbait said:

Before Nexus imploded, it was rather nice to be able to click one button and be notified of all the mods you had installed for which newer versions were now available, without having to follow the development and releases of every single one you're using and spot updates on your own (in my case I play with over 500 mods installed, so that's a lot of time savings). Roughly half my mods were from LL though, so I still had to track updates for those manually, and now that more of the mods I'm using have moved off Nexus, I agree MO2 is looking increasingly attractive.

I do still prefer Vortex's sieve solution for resolving file conflicts, as well as their rule-based approach to plugin ordering, and I'm not convinced MO2's virtual filesystem approach is ideal given how it seems to confuse a number of tools and so requires careful configuration to teach them where to find things. But all in all it seems to have a dedicated community and ongoing maintenance, so I'm sure it's a fine choice for a mod manager.

MO2 supports that, too: Right Click -> All Mods -> Check for Updates

I have no personal experience with Vortex so I cannot tell you if the conflict resolution is better or worse than the one from MO2. As a programmer I agree that the virtual file system approach looks more complicated and more prone to errors than just using file system hardlinks like Vortex. On the other hand it does look like we have more people here with weird Vortex problems than people with weird MO2 problems.

22 hours ago, vaultbait said:

Well imploded is a bit overreacting as Skyrim in it's entirely is losing modding traction, which is understandable after all those years. But as Kharos said MO2 also has a update checker (icons and function). The conflicts are also quite easy to spot with the icon after the mod indicating if it's conflicting with something or if something is conflicting with it. So can't say Vortex has something MO2 doesn't, it just brings it differently to the user. The only thing it's not click-click done. That's the downside. The virtual directory approach is a bit of a mixed bag. It needs (as with all MO things) more work to get it working initially but I have the idea it's more stable. 

On 8/6/2021 at 4:26 AM, Kharos said:

Are you wearing a shock collar?

[Edit] Another option is, you might have cut the handcuffs at the workbench but still be wearing the broken handcuffs. Basically for the settings to be available you need to be totally free - not wearing handcuffs, not wearing broken handcuffs, not wearing a shock collar.

I forgot I was wearing a shock collar, thanks

Version 0.4.14
==============
further improvements
- fix bound NPCs drawing their weapons when in alert state by clearing alert state (discovered with PANPC but a general issue)
- fix bound NPCs visually being free after the game forces them to "draw" theirs fists
- integrate handcuffs with quest MinRecruit02 "Kidnapping at ...": the victim will now wear handcuffs, the boss will have a key, and the player can open the victim's inventory

This is a small maintenance release. Main change is that I found bound NPCs misbehave when using the mod Pack Attack NPC Edition, so I added some more code to keep bound NPCs properly helpless. These are general fixes and do not depend on that mod, so they could also be useful in other situations.