To the person who is currently DDoSing Nexus

chuckdm

I just have to say, regardless of who it is, to the person who is currently DDoSing Nexus: You're an asshole.  What you're doing serves only to harm people like me who have no agenda for or against anyone at Nexus and just want to play my damn game.

Personally?  I agree some of their policies are very, very draconian.  But right now I'm just trying to switch from Scrap Everything to Spring Cleaning and I can't even get the f**king page to load, and whoever you are, that's your fault, so please stop and go suck a big fat one, m'kay?

And no, I have no reason to suspect that person will ever see this post, either.  Call it a gut feeling, I guess.  If nothing else it feels good to vent.

EDIT: If a mod wants to lock this thread before anything happens or whatever, that's fine.  Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to download a file, nothing more.  Just please don't delete or hide it.  Whoever is doing this needs to see this.

Eh, I'm still having issues but now they're sporadic.  This is typical during a DDoS.  The hosting provider will try to intelligently filter out bots as the attack drags on.  Eventually this solves the DDoS but it takes a long time.

I have AT&T U-Verse which means I have a Class B IP in AT&T's own network which then exits to the internet as a Class A IP.  The problem is, one minute that Class A IP is me, the next it's someone else, and that someone might have a bot on their system (almost always without knowing they do.)  As a result when hosting providers start trying to carefully filter out IPs so the site can come back up, I'm basically never unblocked because some other person using AT&T has a bot.

So I'll still get a 500 forbidden error every-other page until the asshat launching this attack stops or gets bored or realizes how little he's accomplishing other than pissing end users off.  Thus, the post.

53 minutes ago, The Jazz Man said:

well I can't.

are you sure that you are not just seeing a Cloudflare snapshot?

Nexus uses Cloudflare's Always Online technology allowing you to continue to surf a snapshot of the site.

i dont know what is Cloudflare is but i can browse the site fine, it's just a little bit slow like it took 2 sec to load new mods this week.

I just checked the site, and it does indeed load slow, but I was able to load it. While there tho, anything I click on will throw a "service not available" page at me.

And I also just checked the Twitter page of Nexsusmods, and there is no mention of a attack or anything. At least not yet.

Usure they dont siwtch to potato servers? I heard R`was selling theirs. So just a potato downgrade most posible. But im sure the mods are gona close this thread, cuase if it inwolves nexus it ends in drama, i like it but it can create a gigantic amount of pure cancer that can kill of many of forum users.

6 hours ago, chuckdm said:

Eh, I'm still having issues but now they're sporadic.  This is typical during a DDoS.  The hosting provider will try to intelligently filter out bots as the attack drags on.  Eventually this solves the DDoS but it takes a long time.

I have AT&T U-Verse which means I have a Class B IP in AT&T's own network which then exits to the internet as a Class A IP.  The problem is, one minute that Class A IP is me, the next it's someone else, and that someone might have a bot on their system (almost always without knowing they do.)  As a result when hosting providers start trying to carefully filter out IPs so the site can come back up, I'm basically never unblocked because some other person using AT&T has a bot.

So I'll still get a 500 forbidden error every-other page until the asshat launching this attack stops or gets bored or realizes how little he's accomplishing other than pissing end users off.  Thus, the post.

I also have AT&T Uverse and connect to Nexus via Cloudflare (Atlanta). I have not seen any 505 errors. What I see is browser timeouts trying to connect (Firefox, infinte spinny thing) but never any 505 (or 404) errors. They took Nexus down about an hour ago, and now either the DDoS attack has stopped or Nexus got it blocked- I'm back to 2-3 second resolves.

Firefox just did an update and it seem that may be part of the problem, well it is for me anyway, when started firefox is fine, but leave it running for a couple of hours and it takes longer and longer to connect to any website, eventually it just stops doing so.

When it first did it for me my thoughts were that noscript was acting up as looking at the sites that was not connecting it was only showing the top level domain for that site, but was saying connecting to or waiting for other domains, eg google etc, but when restarting it showed all the correct sites in the noscript section, removing noscript however made no difference same messages, it looks like for some reason after time firefox stops connecting to all the sites., though it could also be a combination of stuff from the firefox and the two or three big windows 10 update we had over the last couple of weeks.

Works perfectly normal for me.

If you still need Spring Cleaning I can get it for you.

However, if there ever was a DDoS it would probably because of their latest changes, that beeing paying people for mods.

While it does sound great initially you quickly run into problems if you want to use other peoples stuff. Even if you don't want to sign those mods in yourself.

3 hours ago, Fakenet said:

Works perfectly normal for me.

If you still need Spring Cleaning I can get it for you.

However, if there ever was a DDoS it would probably because of their latest changes, that beeing paying people for mods.

While it does sound great initially you quickly run into problems if you want to use other peoples stuff. Even if you don't want to sign those mods in yourself.

I finally got the file but thanks for the offer.

As to their recent changes...all I can say is that I really don't care.  I go there, I download anything I like the look of, I play my game, and I go on with life.  It's a prime example of a tempest in a teapot.  And that goes for basically everything that the Nexus has ever done that got people riled up.  Sure, I'd prefer everyone follow more LL-style rules, but tbh I really don't care that hard either way.

That said, I wish any modder who wants financial support would use Neiro's recent model.  Truth is, anyone can fart out a low poly model with 512 textures, and nobody should get paid for that, ever.  But if you're going to put in the extra effort to make 4k textures, and you have an OPTIONAL means for someone to give ANY amount they choose, that's fair.  For what it's worth, I gave him $1 for the first one he put on Gumroad.  I haven't donated since because I'm broke AF but eventually I plan to throw another $1 his way when I can afford it.

That said, selling your mod for $9 is just...antithetical to modding as a culture.  I can agree with that.  But if that's your issue, then go DDoS Bethnet instead of Nexus.

Of course, whoever was doing this is a pussy so obviously they wouldn't DDoS a multibillion dollar company who they know will track their ass down and file criminal charges.  Instead they target the small company with like 10 employees who can't afford to fight back, cloudflare or not.  I don't care how noble your motives are.  If you're DDoSing the Nexus, you're an asshole, just as anyone DDoSing LL would also be an asshole.  You are not any less of an asshole because Nexus is your target.  You just aren't.

Anyhow, it's over now.  Of course it'll happen again in a month or so but eh, what else is new.

This seems more for the rant section or What pisses you off section at this point. Not to mention we don't even know if they truly were DDOSed and at the same time if they were we (you) Don't even know if said person is even on this website. This all seems a bit overboard at this point.

3 hours ago, chuckdm said:

I finally got the file but thanks for the offer.

As to their recent changes...all I can say is that I really don't care.  I go there, I download anything I like the look of, I play my game, and I go on with life.  It's a prime example of a tempest in a teapot.  And that goes for basically everything that the Nexus has ever done that got people riled up.  Sure, I'd prefer everyone follow more LL-style rules, but tbh I really don't care that hard either way.

That said, I wish any modder who wants financial support would use Neiro's recent model.  Truth is, anyone can fart out a low poly model with 512 textures, and nobody should get paid for that, ever.  But if you're going to put in the extra effort to make 4k textures, and you have an OPTIONAL means for someone to give ANY amount they choose, that's fair.  For what it's worth, I gave him $1 for the first one he put on Gumroad.  I haven't donated since because I'm broke AF but eventually I plan to throw another $1 his way when I can afford it.

That said, selling your mod for $9 is just...antithetical to modding as a culture.  I can agree with that.  But if that's your issue, then go DDoS Bethnet instead of Nexus.

Of course, whoever was doing this is a pussy so obviously they wouldn't DDoS a multibillion dollar company who they know will track their ass down and file criminal charges.  Instead they target the small company with like 10 employees who can't afford to fight back, cloudflare or not.  I don't care how noble your motives are.  If you're DDoSing the Nexus, you're an asshole, just as anyone DDoSing LL would also be an asshole.  You are not any less of an asshole because Nexus is your target.  You just aren't.

Anyhow, it's over now.  Of course it'll happen again in a month or so but eh, what else is new.

Nah, I can't say I care enough to write home about it either.

I just saw the new model impeed creativity once and that is bad in my opinion but I am sure that can be worked out.

Banns, blockades and embargos pretty much always hurt the wrong people the most. Even our leaders don't always get that.

Maduro riggs the vote? Let's starve Venezuela!

No idea how that is supposed to help, those people don't want him either.

I digress.

Out of interest, what is Neiro's recent model?

15 minutes ago, Fakenet said:

Out of interest, what is Neiro's recent model?

Basically, he puts up his mods with 1k textures on Nexus for free, then he has a 4k skin pack on Gumroad.  You can pay $0 for the skin pack (so it's also free) but you do have to manually type in $0 to do so.  Basically it's kindly hinting a donation would be nice if you can afford it.  Apparently, Nexus's built-in donation system doesn't allow the user to name their own price, which I'm assuming is why Neiro is using Gumroad because it does.  AFAIK you can do anything over like 10 cents (or again, just do $0) so it's extremely reasonable.

As I said, I gave him $1 the first time.  His stuff really is high quality and if I could afford it, I'd give him $1 every time, but I am broke.  I mean right now, I'm using the VTS armor mod and his new Cryolance too, and Piper is rocking TheKite's ScoopDigger and his Ruger, so basically 4/5 of the in-game items I use and see most are Neiro's creations.  His Strigade armor is also amazing, but I've only ever sided with the institute once so I never use it.  Not a fan of techno-facists.

The key is that it's 100% passive and optional.  I have no qualms with mod authors asking for true donations, i.e. optional things people give you out of the goodness of their hearts.  I agree paid mods are cancer, and especially when a single piece of armor costs as much as a whole DLC.  That's just insane.

But again, doesn't justify a DDoS.

3 hours ago, Hayleyrose2323 said:

This seems more for the rant section or What pisses you off section at this point. Not to mention we don't even know if they truly were DDOSed and at the same time if they were we (you) Don't even know if said person is even on this website. This all seems a bit overboard at this point.

As far as everyone who says they didn't experience it, that's fantastic for you, but I know what a DDoS looks like.  I managed a small ISP (yes, very small, only 700 customers, but still) for 2 years so I've seen it from the inside a couple times.  This was a DDoS.  The fact that EVERY other site did not have issues loading while I'm getting 500 errors (not 505 errors) from Cloudflare every-other page load makes it pretty obvious.

That said, if someone wants to move the post, please do.  I never even noticed LL had a rant section.

I think I can smeel faint trace amounts of charity shaming on that but then again I am a pessimist and he repeatedly says that it's freely available and his mods are in fact complete with whats on the nexus.

Looks like TheKite has found the lord or something, blocked all his mods. For Piper I use "Just another Piper Outfit", it's pretty close to her original outfit.

There is no rant section but "The Rant Thread".

Archived