Seems like I'm missing something, missing some mod that handles splicing of stages together, filling of edging bars, climax of the pc, pc and human partner, or pc and creature.  I can start an animation fine through gui...it plays the one animation stage over an over an over, but never proceeds to other stages...I can manually move It to another stage by hitting the pgdn key, I never see edge bars fill.  Am I missing some mod that handles putting the stages together.  I followed saya scarlett installation guide to the T.  The animations are never whole from start to finish with edging bars never filling.     

12 hours ago, Yossarian13 said:

Thanks for the response. Hmmm, that's really strange. I can't think of anything on my end that would interfere, and like I said, the Face Light mod is otherwise working completely normally for me. Just to confirm, the AAF compatibility should simply work automatically if I have Face Light installed and activated, right? I don't need to enable something in an ini or xml file?

Again, if anyone out there would be willing to test this out on their end I'd be really grateful. Just install Face Light, turn it on in MCM so it's activated on your character, and then start an AAF scene to see if the effect persists on the doppelganger. I'd just really like to know if this is an issue with my setup or whether the compatibility between these two mods has broken somehow.

Yes. That is how it should work. I haven't kept track of it over time as I don't use face light. But, the code for it is pretty simple and still in the right places.

Have you tested it with a very bare-bones install (ie no other mods installed)?

1 hour ago, leesjig said:

Seems like I'm missing something, missing some mod that handles splicing of stages together, filling of edging bars, climax of the pc, pc and human partner, or pc and creature.  I can start an animation fine through gui...it plays the one animation stage over an over an over, but never proceeds to other stages...I can manually move It to another stage by hitting the pgdn key, I never see edge bars fill.  Am I missing some mod that handles putting the stages together.  I followed saya scarlett installation guide to the T.  The animations are never whole from start to finish with edging bars never filling.     

This is not really a question for this thread. Check with the content mod(s) involved with these features.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:44 AM, EgoBallistic said:

Like @dagobaking said, there is no need for that and it was removed from the settings file many versions ago.  You should just use the AAF_EquipmentSetData.xml to handle equipment slots.  If you don't want AAF to do anything with a particular slot, just don't put an entry in the XML for it.

Ah, got it. I set the settings I want, but the changes didnt apply. Im assuming I have to compile the xml file, but I don't know how.

3 minutes ago, SpicyNuggies24 said:

Ah, got it. I set the settings I want, but the changes didnt apply. Im assuming I have to compile the xml file, but I don't know how.

XML doesn't need to be compiled. They are just text files in a certain format. So, you can just modify it and put it in place.

5 hours ago, RandomPerson15 said:

Is it just me or the download link is down? I can't access moddingham.com. It just says that this page isn't working right now. 

I had to update the site software today. You may have just caught it at a moment when the files were being uploaded, etc. Sorry about that.

All looks to be working correctly now.

14 hours ago, leesjig said:

Those aren't features of AAF, it's something added by UAP. There is a Discord server managed by the UAP author you can go to in order to get assistance with it (linked from UAP's mod page).

On 5/30/2022 at 2:31 AM, dagobaking said:

Yes. That is how it should work. I haven't kept track of it over time as I don't use face light. But, the code for it is pretty simple and still in the right places.

Have you tested it with a very bare-bones install (ie no other mods installed)?

I just tried it on a new game with only the following installed:

- AAF 166.0beta

- AAF Themes 210819.0

- FO4 Animations by Leito v2.1b

- BodySlide 5.5.2

- CBBE 2.6.2

- BodyTalk 3.22

- Buffout 4 1.24.5

- MCM 1.39

- Start Me Up 6.1

- FaceLight 1.1a (ESP version)

...and it still didn't work. FaceLight was enabled on my player character via MCM before I manually started an AAF scene. The FaceLight was visible on my character before and after the scene, but not during. I tried it a few times but it never worked. 

Also, it's worth mentioning that I tried it both with and without the following patch that someone made for FaceLight that fixes it disappearing when changing cells, but it made no difference to AAF: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/46209

Any chance you could have another look at it on your end? I feel pretty confident now that it's not an issue specific to my setup (unless it's something super obscure, which seems unlikely). Maybe something changed with the FaceLight mod after you added the compatibility to AAF?

Thanks, hope you can help.

5 hours ago, Yossarian13 said:

I just tried it on a new game with only the following installed:

- AAF 166.0beta

- AAF Themes 210819.0

- FO4 Animations by Leito v2.1b

- BodySlide 5.5.2

- CBBE 2.6.2

- BodyTalk 3.22

- Buffout 4 1.24.5

- MCM 1.39

- Start Me Up 6.1

- FaceLight 1.1a (ESP version)

...and it still didn't work. FaceLight was enabled on my player character via MCM before I manually started an AAF scene. The FaceLight was visible on my character before and after the scene, but not during. I tried it a few times but it never worked. 

Also, it's worth mentioning that I tried it both with and without the following patch that someone made for FaceLight that fixes it disappearing when changing cells, but it made no difference to AAF: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/46209

Any chance you could have another look at it on your end? I feel pretty confident now that it's not an issue specific to my setup (unless it's something super obscure, which seems unlikely). Maybe something changed with the FaceLight mod after you added the compatibility to AAF?

Thanks, hope you can help.

Hello.

Thank you for doing due diligence and doing a proper test on your end.

There is good news and bad news. The good news is that I was able to reproduce the issue. It's not working. I thought that I had seen it work years ago. But, I can't be certain.

The bad news is that I tested every line of code related to Facelight in AAF and it all reported as working. Even the final line "AddSpell" returns True as having added it to the doppelganger. This is the same method that the Facelight mod itself uses to add the light to characters.

I'm not sure why it's not working from there. Maybe the character is still "building" due to many manipulations (added clothes, morphs, etc.) and it cant process the addition of a light in that moment? Or, maybe there are some kind of limitations regarding what types of characters can have the light added? Maybe the locking mechanism or free-camera mode during animation affects spell lights?

In any case, someone else will need to investigate further into those questions as they are delving into the mechanics of the light mod and not really AAF. I was very reluctant to add the facelight handling to begin with since it could be added via scene event codes instead.

Also, it's worth mentioning that there is another AAF related light mod that works. Maybe it does what you need? 

1 hour ago, dagobaking said:

Hello.

Thank you for doing due diligence and doing a proper test on your end.

There is good news and bad news. The good news is that I was able to reproduce the issue. It's not working. I thought that I had seen it work years ago. But, I can't be certain.

The bad news is that I tested every line of code related to Facelight in AAF and it all reported as working. Even the final line "AddSpell" returns True as having added it to the doppelganger. This is the same method that the Facelight mod itself uses to add the light to characters.

I'm not sure why it's not working from there. Maybe the character is still "building" due to many manipulations (added clothes, morphs, etc.) and it cant process the addition of a light in that moment? Or, maybe there are some kind of limitations regarding what types of characters can have the light added? Maybe the locking mechanism or free-camera mode during animation affects spell lights?

In any case, someone else will need to investigate further into those questions as they are delving into the mechanics of the light mod and not really AAF. I was very reluctant to add the facelight handling to begin with since it could be added via scene event codes instead.

Also, it's worth mentioning that there is another AAF related light mod that works. Maybe it does what you need? 

Thanks for looking into it, it's really appreciated.

That's a shame to hear that it's not working, but I'm definitely glad to know what the issue is so I can stop trying to troubleshoot it on my end, so thanks for that. In regards to what you said about the possible reasons why it might not be working, one odd thing is that I found a pretty imperfect workaround for it, which was adding the FaceLight effect to a ring and then setting AAF to not strip the ring slot in the XML. If I do that, the FaceLight effect persists during AAF scenes as intended. The bad thing about this approach is that adding the FaceLight effect via a clothing item means that the effect is removed every time I enter a new cell (this seems to be a general engine-level bug, from what I can tell) and needs to be reequipped constantly. So it's unfortunately not a good option for general usage, which is why I was hoping to have the default non-ring approach work during AAF scenes instead.

I assume there's no simple way to tell AAF to equip a specific clothing item at the beginning of a scene and unequip it at the end, without creating a custom script to do so (which would be beyond my knowledge)? If I could somehow do that, I could use the FaceLight mod for general game play, and then the ring version for AAF scenes. But my guess is that it's not an easy thing to make work.

Anyway, the ring thing is odd because it does show that it's possible for the FaceLight effect to be applied to the doppelganger during AAF scenes, but only when done so via an equipped clothing item for whatever reason.

Thanks for the link to AAF Turn The Light On. I've tried that mod in the past, but unfortunately it's not really what I'm looking for. The thing I like about the FaceLight is that the visual effect on the player character is consistent and doesn't depend on things like orientation, which way the character is facing during a specific animation, etc. I find FO4's character lighting (especially on faces) pretty ugly/inconsistent in general and FaceLight makes a significant difference.

Edited by Yossarian13
4 hours ago, Yossarian13 said:

I assume there's no simple way to tell AAF to equip a specific clothing item at the beginning of a scene and unequip it at the end, without creating a custom script to do so (which would be beyond my knowledge)? If I could somehow do that, I could use the FaceLight mod for general game play, and then the ring version for AAF scenes. But my guess is that it's not an easy thing to make work.

Actually, there is already a built in way to do this without a custom script.

AAF uses XML to define start/end equipment sets in order to configure clothes options. That includes the ability to add equipment at animation start and removal at the end. It sounds like this would do exactly what you're trying to do with just two lines of XML.

The alternative would require some custom scripting. But, it would be very light scripting as it's only a couple lines of code to add/remove equipment and listening for animation start/stop events from AAF is just a few more lines. That is exactly how "AAF Turn the Light On" works. You could look at that code to see how they set it up.

Both options are very light mods...

9 hours ago, dagobaking said:

Actually, there is already a built in way to do this without a custom script.

AAF uses XML to define start/end equipment sets in order to configure clothes options. That includes the ability to add equipment at animation start and removal at the end. It sounds like this would do exactly what you're trying to do with just two lines of XML.

The alternative would require some custom scripting. But, it would be very light scripting as it's only a couple lines of code to add/remove equipment and listening for animation start/stop events from AAF is just a few more lines. That is exactly how "AAF Turn the Light On" works. You could look at that code to see how they set it up.

Both options are very light mods...

That's great news, thanks for the info.

I've been trying the XML option but I seem to be doing something wrong. Hope you don't mind guiding me a little bit here. I've been editing AAF_equipmentSetData.xml and trying to follow the instructions on your wiki.

I added "FaceLight.esp" to the source at the top of the XML so that it now reads: <defaults source="Fallout4.esm", "FaceLight.esp"/>

Then towards the bottom I've filled in the provided addEquipment/removeEquipment example sections. It now looks like this:

<equipmentSetData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="common.xsd">

<!-- Default attributes are applied to the addEquipment and removeEquipment nodes below if no conflicting attribute is set there. -->
	<defaults source="Fallout4.esm", "FaceLight.esp"/>

<!--
	Add or remove unEquip and reEquip entries to control which slots get
	equipped or unequipped before and after animations.

Use the exact slot names defined here: https://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Biped_Slots

For the slots with repeated names like "Unnamed" and "Possibly Weapons"
	add a number after each. So, "Unnamed1" is slot index 24 and "Possibly Weapons2"
	is slot index 33.
	-->

<equipmentSet id="unEquip">
		<condition>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Hair Top"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Hair Long"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="FaceGen Head"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="BODY"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="L Hand"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="R Hand"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[U] Torso"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[U] L Arm"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[U] R Arm"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[U] L Leg"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[U] R Leg"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[A] Torso"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[A] L Arm"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[A] R Arm"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[A] L Leg"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="[A] R Leg"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Headband"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Eyes"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Beard"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Mouth"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Neck"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Scalp"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Unnamed1"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Unnamed2"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Unnamed3"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Unnamed4"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Unnamed5"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Shield"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="FX"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons1"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons2"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons3"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons4"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons5"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons6"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons7"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons8"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons9"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons10"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons11"/>
			<unEquip bipedSlot="Possibly Weapons12"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

<equipmentSet id="reEquip">
		<condition>
			<reEquip resetAll="true"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

<!--
	Add or remove addEquipment and removeEquipment entries to control adding and
	removing any equipment to the actors before and after animations.

You can also add attributes to the condition node to discriminate which actors
	the set is applied to. For example, <condition isFemale="true"> will only
	apply the equipment commands to female actors.
	-->

<equipmentSet id="addEquipment">
		<condition>
			<addEquipment form="66002E0E"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

<equipmentSet id="removeEquipment">
		<condition>
			<removeEquipment form="66002E0E"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>
</equipmentSetData>

66002E0E is the FormID for the custom ring I made that carries the FaceLight effect (I created the ring within FaceLight.esp, and it works in game). I was going to add a condition to only add it to the player character, but first I wanted to get it working generally before attempting that.

But it's not working, so clearly I'm misunderstanding something. Sorry, this is all somewhat new to me.

On 5/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, dagobaking said:

XML doesn't need to be compiled. They are just text files in a certain format. So, you can just modify it and put it in place.

I see now. I got the settings I want mostly working, but am still running into one issue: I got the equipment set data set to strip the (U) Torso slot, but its not stripping anything using that slot for some reason. I don't have it set to strip anything using the BODY slot (to prevent it from stripping certain outfits I'm fine with playing animations with) and I'm thinking that's what's causing it, but I would like to be able to find a workaround or something.

Edited by SpicyNuggies24
Accidental underlining
16 hours ago, Yossarian13 said:

That's great news, thanks for the info.

I've been trying the XML option but I seem to be doing something wrong. Hope you don't mind guiding me a little bit here. I've been editing AAF_equipmentSetData.xml and trying to follow the instructions on your wiki.

I added "FaceLight.esp" to the source at the top of the XML so that it now reads: <defaults source="Fallout4.esm", "FaceLight.esp"/>

Then towards the bottom I've filled in the provided addEquipment/removeEquipment example sections. It now looks like this:

<equipmentSetData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="common.xsd">

<!-- Default attributes are applied to the addEquipment and removeEquipment nodes below if no conflicting attribute is set there. -->
	<defaults source="Fallout4.esm", "FaceLight.esp"/>

<!--

Use the exact slot names defined here: https://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Biped_Slots

add a number after each. So, "Unnamed1" is slot index 24 and "Possibly Weapons2"
	is slot index 33.
	-->

<condition>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

<condition>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

<!--
	Add or remove addEquipment and removeEquipment entries to control adding and
	removing any equipment to the actors before and after animations.

You can also add attributes to the condition node to discriminate which actors
	the set is applied to. For example, <condition isFemale="true"> will only
	apply the equipment commands to female actors.
	-->

<equipmentSet id="addEquipment">
		<condition>
			<addEquipment form="66002E0E"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

<equipmentSet id="removeEquipment">
		<condition>
			<removeEquipment form="66002E0E"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>
</equipmentSetData>

66002E0E is the FormID for the custom ring I made that carries the FaceLight effect (I created the ring within FaceLight.esp, and it works in game). I was going to add a condition to only add it to the player character, but first I wanted to get it working generally before attempting that.

But it's not working, so clearly I'm misunderstanding something. Sorry, this is all somewhat new to me.

Your XML is a bit off. It should be like this:

<defaults source="Fallout4.esm"/>

<!--

is slot index 33.
	-->

<condition>
          	<addEquipment source="FaceLight.esp" form="2E0E"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

<condition>
          	<removeEquipment source="FaceLight.esp" form="2E0E"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

</equipmentSetData>

4 hours ago, SpicyNuggies24 said:

I see now. I got the settings I want mostly working, but am still running into one issue: I got the equipment set data set to strip the (U) Torso slot, but its not stripping anything using that slot for some reason. I don't have it set to strip anything using the BODY slot (to prevent it from stripping certain outfits I'm fine with playing animations with) and I'm thinking that's what's causing it, but I would like to be able to find a workaround or something.

Are you sure that the items you expect to be removed are in that slot? Maybe they are in the (A) Torso slot?

14 hours ago, dagobaking said:

Are you sure that the items you expect to be removed are in that slot? Maybe they are in the (A) Torso slot?

Yes, I made some quick edits to a few outfits in FO4Edit to put them in the (U) Torso slot and it still doesn't work. Its also the case with vanilla outfits, which are set to the U Torso slot by default.

Im gonna try something real quick, Im gonna set AAF to unequip some of the other (U) slots and see if the vanilla outfits get unequipped.

Edit: So I assigned the (U) left and right arm slots to get unequipped and put on some road leathers, and the road leathers still did not get unequipped. The (A) Torso slot gets unequipped, so that works, so I dont know whats wrong. 

I'm going to try to assign some (A) slots and see if they work.

Edit 2: Okay, so after some testing, it seems that the way AAF handles unequipping is that it looks at the first body slot an armor piece takes up and unequips it if it's on the list; it ignores the other armor slots the armor piece takes up. That's why most outfits dont unequip: most of them do have the BODY armor slot as they're first (since they're in numerical order)

Edited by SpicyNuggies24
More Info
1 hour ago, SpicyNuggies24 said:

Edit 2: Okay, so after some testing, it seems that the way AAF handles unequipping is that it looks at the first body slot an armor piece takes up and unequips it if it's on the list; it ignores the other armor slots the armor piece takes up. That's why most outfits dont unequip: most of them do have the BODY armor slot as they're first (since they're in numerical order)

Hm. Yes. That is how it works. But, in my testing, unequipping any slot that is taken up does remove the armor. I haven't seen a case where you have to target a specific slot to remove it.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, dagobaking said:

Your XML is a bit off. It should be like this:

<defaults source="Fallout4.esm"/>

<!--

is slot index 33.
	-->

<condition>
          	<addEquipment source="FaceLight.esp" form="2E0E"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

<condition>
          	<removeEquipment source="FaceLight.esp" form="2E0E"/>
		</condition>
	</equipmentSet>

</equipmentSetData>

Thanks a lot for helping me with the XML. I'm sorry to report that it doesn't seem to be working correctly and is resulting in some odd behaviour. For some reason, when an AAF scene starts between my player character and an NPC, the NPC will have the FaceLight on but the Player Character won't. But the moment the scene ends, the PC will suddenly have the FaceLight on, which is then unequipped a few seconds later (at the same time as when clothes are reapplied).

I've tested this pretty extensively (both on my normal modded game and a new game with a minimal modlist), with different NPCs and animations and it always works out this way. I also tried adding a condition to the XML so that the all equipment lines only apply to the PC, but I still had the same result. For whatever reason, the FaceLight only ever gets added to the PC when the scene ends, even though it works correctly on NPCs.

Anyway, like you said this might be down to an odd engine-level limitation which is out of your control, so no worries, I'm not expecting a magic fix. I really appreciate all the help and patience you've provided in trying to get this to work for me. So far the only approach that's worked reliably is having the ring equipped manually before scenes (and instructing AAF to not unequip the ring slot), so I think I'll just have to live with that and the cell-reset bug that comes with it.

Edited by Yossarian13
On 6/2/2022 at 8:51 PM, dagobaking said:

Hm. Yes. That is how it works. But, in my testing, unequipping any slot that is taken up does remove the armor. I haven't seen a case where you have to target a specific slot to remove it.

Maybe I'm using an old version of AAF or something? According to Vortex, I'm using AAF Beta 161.1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:25 AM, Yossarian13 said:

Thanks a lot for helping me with the XML. I'm sorry to report that it doesn't seem to be working correctly and is resulting in some odd behaviour. For some reason, when an AAF scene starts between my player character and an NPC, the NPC will have the FaceLight on but the Player Character won't. But the moment the scene ends, the PC will suddenly have the FaceLight on, which is then unequipped a few seconds later (at the same time as when clothes are reapplied).

AAF has to do a lot of things at the beginning of a scene. To lock Actors in place, switch to free cam mode, create doppelganger and copy a bunch of things.

It's sounding like there is something in that process that interferes with the facelight working on the doppelganger (I suspect the ring actually is equipped on it). The odd thing is that it seems to work by manually equipping. But, maybe it's a matter of timing.

One thing you could try is to make a proxy function for the AAF start scene command. Add the code to equip the ring and force the game to wait a second or two and then pass on the command to the real AAF start scene function.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:57 PM, SpicyNuggies24 said:

Maybe I'm using an old version of AAF or something? According to Vortex, I'm using AAF Beta 161.1

That is an older version. Latest public release is 166. But, I'm pretty sure that the equip system worked the same way in 161.1...

Is there any way to choose which actor is passive or active during FF/MM animations (same gender) ? hopefully a keyword like "AAF_GenderOverride_*"

i know that when you manually start the animation, the first actor you choose (a0) is the passive one but when called by a mod, you have no control over it.

Edited by lee3310
4 hours ago, lee3310 said:

Is there any way to choose which actor is passive or active during FF/MM animations (same gender) ? hopefully a keyword like "AAF_GenderOverride_*"

i know that when you manually start the animation, the first actor you choose (a0) is the passive one but when called by a mod, you have no control over it.

That is intended to be controlled via the animation pack configs and mod usage. In other words, if certain passive/active things are desired a convention can be made and mods making the calls can enforce the order that actors are put in.

7 hours ago, dagobaking said:

That is intended to be controlled via the animation pack configs and mod usage. In other words, if certain passive/active things are desired a convention can be made and mods making the calls can enforce the order that actors are put in.

thanks king, so if I understand correctly, actors[0] has to be manually assigned via scrip ?

7 hours ago, lee3310 said:

thanks king, so if I understand correctly, actors[0] has to be manually assigned via scrip ?

Yes. Basically, the capability to control what you want is provided by AAF. But, the way it is commonly implemented doesn't apply that concept.

I wouldn't want to make something like that formally part of the API because it starts to go from a content-agnostic framework to catering to one type (adult) content.