1 hour ago, BoundNerd69 said:

can you elaborate more on that? I'm not sure what you are saying for me to do. thank you for the reply 

Was it a new game or did you update the game while the player was wearing devices?

Do you have any patches installed?

If you need to uninstall / reinstall anything make sure the player is not wearing devices.

Also. DD is not meant for use on NPCs. Don't expect them to work if you do. 

In order. I have

• Devious Devices RC8 Full
  • Devious Devices Rads Patch
  • Deviously Cursed Wasteland V1.4
  • Deviously Cursed Menu

DO NOT install

• DD_LegAnimOverride
  • Devious Devices AAF Support
  • Devious Devices Face Morphs
  • Devious Devices NoRun Patch
  • Devious Devices 2.0 Patched

Also, I think, some devices like wrist cuffs have random arm animations / binding effect. Sometimes in the front. Sometimes behind the back. I'm not sure but I think leg cuffs may also have a random animation / binding effect. 

Edited by jbezorg
13 hours ago, Slorm said:

I can see what you've done and the part you removed from DD_Effect_CuffedLegs_Strict still works okay (pc can move normally) the bit that's not working in RC8 is the script property you added DisableRunning. I'm not that hot on scripting so I'm not even sure how this worked before as I can't see a script for it or what it should point to. (Sorry, I'm just curious now)

Vanilla, part of `HC_DisableControlsEffectScript.psc`, the script extends ActiveMagicEffect, and during OnEffectStart, if DisableRunning (bool, property) = true, it runs `inputLayer.EnableRunning(False)`.
There's a similar one for disable sprinting in the same file, doing basically the same thing, too.

So I basically added that as `= true`, so when it's equipped and it tries to apply the effect, running is automatically disabled/prevented.

Can do the same with sprinting too, though I think you can't sprint, if you can't run, but I'd need to actually test that :joy:

TL;DR: Stuck vanilla property on it which triggers with the spell effect being applied, which stops you being able to run while it's active, and cleans itself up on the effect ending.

5 hours ago, Nebuchadnezzer2 said:

Vanilla, part of `HC_DisableControlsEffectScript.psc`, the script extends ActiveMagicEffect, and during OnEffectStart, if DisableRunning (bool, property) = true, it runs `inputLayer.EnableRunning(False)`.

Thank you, that's really useful knowledge to learn.

Is there a a catalogue or dictionary of all these calls anywhere? I'm at that awkward stage where I can create very basic mods but most of the tutorials seem to concentrate on "how" rather than "why" so it's a bit difficult to progress. A lot of syntax seems to be just assumed to be in place like "bool Property DisableSprinting const auto". I know what a boolean and a property are but the semantic meaning of const or auto are not defined in the various tutorials I've looked at you are just told to put them in, so it's unclear "why" they are used.

My background before I retired was SQL so I'm used to syntax being codified in books or online, it seems that papyrus lacks that central reference source. The CreationKit site isn't particularly helpful with poor indexing, though the Skyrim side of it is better.

I'll shut up now as I'm getting off topic

33 minutes ago, Slorm said:

Thank you, that's really useful knowledge to learn.

Is there a a catalogue or dictionary of all these calls anywhere? I'm at that awkward stage where I can create very basic mods but most of the tutorials seem to concentrate on "how" rather than "why" so it's a bit difficult to progress. A lot of syntax seems to be just assumed to be in place like "bool Property DisableSprinting const auto". I know what a boolean and a property are but the semantic meaning of const or auto are not defined in the various tutorials I've looked at you are just told to put them in, so it's unclear "why" they are used.

My background before I retired was SQL so I'm used to syntax being codified in books or online, it seems that papyrus lacks that central reference source. The CreationKit site isn't particularly helpful with poor indexing, though the Skyrim side of it is better.

I'll shut up now as I'm getting off topic

I would suggest using the coding part of the Skyrim Creation Kit wiki. It's way more detailed in terms of tutorials and syntax. The FO4 one is lacking quite a bit in that area.

The coding is a bit similar to a high level language C# but with the function "limitation" of a scripting language like bat or PowerShell. The coding from Skyrim and FO4 is quite similar but there are loads more info/guides/help on Skyrim as it's more popular and around much longer. FO4 does have some unique things but most of these are either ease of use (like condition groups) or not required for basic quest scripting.

One of the things most new coders run into is forgetting to set a property on the script. If it compiles you need to modify the properties and either press auto-fill if you use something the game recognizes like PlayerREF or select it yourself. Otherwise the script will run but has nothing to call and just does nothing. Or some parts do nothing. The in-game troubleshooting/logging is next to 0. So might take a while to find out that error :P

42 minutes ago, Slorm said:

most of the tutorials seem to concentrate on "how" rather than "why" so it's a bit difficult to progress.

Have you watched kinggath's scripting tutorials on YouTube?  He's usually pretty good about explaining why he's performing any given action.  I found them to cover a decent chunk of the basics.

Overall I agree, though.  You sort of have to scrape together the missing knowledge from modder forums, reverse engineering, and an absurd amount of hair-pulling trial & error.

47 minutes ago, Slorm said:

Variables and Properties covers some of that, but I basically worked most of it out by poking other's scripts.

I have a lot of issues with 'why' vs 'how' usually too, which often means I'd rather go over other people's works, than watch videos on things...
I hear good things about Kinggath's vids, though.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:24 PM, bwagdog669680 said:

Restrictive boots + straightjacket combination != not work.

I've attempted to equip both simultaneously, although when either is equipped, the other is immediately removed. Is there a fix to this?

44 minutes ago, Shxdy said:

I've attempted to equip both simultaneously, although when either is equipped, the other is immediately removed. Is there a fix to this?

In RC8 there are straightjackets with restrictive boots, in order to address this problem. Each one needs to use the "body" slot, so the only viable solution is to combine them into a single item.

1 hour ago, vaultbait said:

In RC8 there are straightjackets with restrictive boots, in order to address this problem. Each one needs to use the "body" slot, so the only viable solution is to combine them into a single item.

I'm familiar with the straightjacket + restrictive boots option in BodySlide; however, I have not done anything involving a complete replacement of items.

Say I wanted to equip a different color straightjacket with a different color pair of boots, would I have to do that with BodySlide, not in-game? How would I go about this?

Lastly, forgive my forgetfulness, but can you remind me what "RCx" stands for?

Edited by Shxdy
4 minutes ago, Shxdy said:

Say I wanted to equip a different color straightjacket with a different color pair of boots, would I have to do that with BodySlide, not in-game? How would I go about this?

I know there are armor components within DD that allow you to change item colors. I'm not sure if those components were kept when combining the boots with the straight jackets. You may want to check at an armor workbench before delving into BodySlide.  

14 minutes ago, jbezorg said:

I know there are armor components within DD that allow you to change item colors. I'm not sure if those components were kept when combining the boots with the straight jackets. You may want to check at an armor workbench before delving into BodySlide.  

Yes, it's possible to re-paint items in DD with the armor workbench. For combined items, however, I cannot say that I know for sure. For me, that's unknown territory.

Question, do you also perhaps have any knowledge of the quest "Belted!" in Kimy's Deviously Cursed Wasteland mod and finding Alice (the scientist who releases you from your post-cryohibernation predicament)?

Edited by Shxdy

I'm familiar with the straightjacket + restrictive boots option in BodySlide; however, I have not done anything involving a complete replacement of items.

Since the recoloring at the workbench uses material swaps, I'm not sure if changing the materials for those meshes in Outfit Studio would even work. I think the expectation was that the boots and straitjacket would always be of the same color as each other.

Lastly, forgive my forgetfulness, but can you remind me what "RCx" stands for?

"Release candidate" (a candidate under development to be the next official release). In this case, RC8 is the 8th revised release candidate for Devious Devices 2.1, or maybe 3.0, I'm not sure if anyone decided for sure what the next version number was going to be.

Edited by vaultbait
55 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

Since the recoloring at the workbench uses material swaps, I'm not sure if changing the materials for those meshes in Outfit Studio would even work. I think the expectation was that the boots and straitjacket would always be of the same color as each other.

"Release candidate" (a candidate under development to be the next official release). In this case, RC8 is the 8th revised release candidate for Devious Devices 2.1, or maybe 3.0, I'm not sure if anyone decided for sure what the next version number was going to be.

Okay, thanks. I've been wondering about that too, now that you mention it. It could be like the recoloring functions for the Pip-Boy or Vault jumpsuit. 

I think that's all I need to know for now. Thanks.

Edited by Shxdy
On 1/23/2022 at 8:23 PM, jbezorg said:

Was it a new game or did you update the game while the player was wearing devices?

Do you have any patches installed?

If you need to uninstall / reinstall anything make sure the player is not wearing devices.

Also. DD is not meant for use on NPCs. Don't expect them to work if you do. 

In order. I have

• Devious Devices RC8 Full
  • Devious Devices Rads Patch
  • Deviously Cursed Wasteland V1.4
  • Deviously Cursed Menu

DO NOT install

• DD_LegAnimOverride
  • Devious Devices AAF Support
  • Devious Devices Face Morphs
  • Devious Devices NoRun Patch
  • Devious Devices 2.0 Patched

Also, I think, some devices like wrist cuffs have random arm animations / binding effect. Sometimes in the front. Sometimes behind the back. I'm not sure but I think leg cuffs may also have a random animation / binding effect. 

why should I not have face morphs installed? sorry 

2 hours ago, BoundNerd69 said:

oh! that makes sense, is there any other mods incorporated in RC8, will removing them fix the leg cuff issue?

Make sure the list of all the patches in the Do-Not-Install list I posted earlier have been uninstalled.

If they are not. Make sure devices have been removed from the Player before you do.

Start there. See what happens.

6 hours ago, Shxdy said:

Say I wanted to equip a different color straightjacket with a different color pair of boots,

In Short: you need add new material swap files to DD, rework all DD scripts what use random color picking, rework meshes for new material swap and then add new mod to those items for material swap in mod bench in FO4.

1 hour ago, jbezorg said:

Make sure the list of all the patches in the Do-Not-Install list I posted earlier have been uninstalled.

If they are not. Make sure devices have been removed from the Player before you do.

Start there. See what happens.

I've added your list and some extra info to the download post.