What's on your mind?

15 hours ago, acursedsexaddict said:

I actually tried Myer Briggs. I have been sort of searching for my identity. While acceptance of the self makes sense, I need more information so that I can in turn hopefully figure out what would make me happy. I found that my type kept changing too much to hold any level of security. It usually bounced between INTP, INFP, ENFP, and ENTP. At some point, I started realizing that the types were inconsistent as it was almost based on mood more than anything. So I sought a more accurate form of measurement, which most would call "delusional". See, I found that individuals could be more accurately described by fictional characters, that a fictional character was almost a purified template of a cluster of individuals, and therefore could define said individuals. Of course, I couldn't find the one that fit me. Mostly it has just resulted in me trying to find a waifu as I feel said waifu would be representing my own identity, but then finding that the ones I have run across are alien to me and also have led to painful memories.

Funny you say INTJ or INFJ, since usually INFJ translated out to a certain anime girl, specifically Yuri from DDLC. One of the only ones that were compatible with Myer Briggs actually. I found myself quite different from her. See, the INFJ likes predictability, they like structure and avoiding challenge. They hold a certain level of mental pride and hate anything bursting their bubble. They love appeasing the world by bottling up their emotions, then lashing out because they were not appeased. I find it far more efficient to just be genuine. I may be a miserable individual, but at least I am who I say I am, even if my level of delusion can lead to people thinking me unbelievable. I find society as a whole is based on white lies and dishonesty that I cannot connect with, so INFJ is almost more intertwined with society and can blend in. They are the quiet ones, the bookworms, while I find I hate books and also tend to stand out because of how abnormal I am.

An INTJ on the other hand... my memory is perhaps bad on the definable traits about them. I do recall they are far more about impressing others, so that they would spend a lot of time looking nice when I find little purpose to blending in or being "normal". They seem to value maturity, which means they would almost deem basic entertainment as immature, which doesn't sound like me as my concept of making my own fun usually ends up being "immature".

Furthermore, I feel intrigued that an INTJ would find me like themselves. But if the world is definable by 12 types, and we share a sort of mental enjoyment as our brains are similar, then we should have some sort of direction we should enjoy. Much like the INFJ, I believe they like literature, and thus could enjoy things such as Morrowind or Trap Quest which I found sadly limiting. I also didn't think INTJ was that rare, they tend to be relatively common alongside INTP from what I recall on websites. They may be the rarest, but they find comfort online.

I also never really considered myself intelligent. As much as such would be a nice thing to have, I also fear having an ego. The mentally ill think they are sane after all. So I don't wish to be misled by assuming myself superior to others in mental faculties. But I find it intriguing that I am not alone with scrutinizing everything, in having similar mannerisms. In being told I am not alone for a change, as usually I tend to stand out and be that "autistic individual who is too weird for anyone to get along with".

But I do have to agree, games in the non-physical are mostly great for diversions since the true reality is not much in the way of enjoyment. I am not really sure where to go for self-improvement, since what I mostly need to improve on is just finding happiness and something to enjoy. Something to occupy my time. While it is great to think with the mind, at a certain point you need various stimuli, if just to escape the monotony inside your head. See, the head is predictable, you know what you think and therefore it becomes a relatively boring game to play.

It definitely makes sense that if there are different types, that it becomes fruitless to push so much energy on others, since the answer is just a separation of types. But at that point, I still am left with the question of what to enjoy. Focus on my strengths, but I am not sure if I have any real strengths. As said, I am almost cynical of my own mind itself, meaning even there I cannot find entertainment. Which is sort of ironic in its own way, since my mind should be made for me, except perhaps that is the flaw. By being made for me, I know what it entails, and knowing what it entails means there becomes often little point to traveling down it.

The thing about the Myers–Briggs test is that its not very accurate in a one time setting. The test online, like the one I linked too, are even more inaccurate for determining what type you are. The questions are too general and is the reason you keep getting different results. Professionals who administer the the MG test, at the college level, suggest retaking the test a few times to get an average on where you type and use that as a staring point. One needs to then look at the cognitive functions a little further to see what applies to you and what doesn't. Some will discount the test, personality traits, and functions all together just because the tests are unreliable. That is a fair argument in regards to the tests, but it doesn't mean the cognitive functions don't exist. There is actually scientific research that has proven the functions are there and that there are 16 different personalities that can arrive out of the combinations. We just need a test that is more reliable than the Myers-Briggs.

Don't believe the stuff you hear about what the types are supposed to like and dislike or how they are supposed to act. A lot of it is regurgitated info people spread around the internet to lump people into a box to find their identity more easily. The truth is, it's not that black and white. There maybe INFJs that love literature, but then there are some that probably don't. There maybe INTJs that are incredibly smart, while some are complete idiots. The cognitive functions don't determine those sort things anyway. Those sort things comes from your upbringing and environment not the way people use their brains on a daily basis. Which leads to what they call "underdeveloped cognitive functions".  It basically means someone who hasn't developed their functions enough to utilize them to their best ability. I suspect that a large majority of the population are underdeveloped in their functions. The ones that are fully developed are the ones who stand out in society, regardless of what personality type they have. What makes it even more crazy is that your functions start to develop at different stages in your life. Going from puberty to middle age.

The reason you see a lot of INTJ/INFJ online is because some people don't understand that the test is unreliable and can be skewed depending on how you answer. If they get tested as one of the rarest types, they run with it because for some reason they think being "rare" is special. In reality, if they were those types, they probably wouldn't like it. The downside to having a rare type is that you hardly run into like minded people, so you constantly feel lost or misunderstood by the more common types. Relationships are harder because your SO doesn't understand your needs or you can't provide for their needs because you live in your head 90% of the time. 

As for happiness, it's internal. It comes from the inside. You will never find it looking at the external world, but I do hope you find it. Here are some quotes that helped me along the way.....

'Happiness is when: what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.' - Mahatma Gandhi

'The greatest happiness you can have is knowing that you do not necessarily require happiness.' - William Saroyan

'There are two ways to be happy: improve your reality, or lower your expectations.' - Jodi Picoult

'Just because you are happy, it does not mean that the day is perfect, but that you have looked beyond its imperfections.' - Bob Marley

'Happiness is the default state. It’s what’s there when you remove the sense that something is missing in life.' - Naval Ravikant

18 hours ago, ISNAN said:

The thing about the Myers–Briggs test is that its not very accurate in a one time setting. The test online, like the one I linked too, are even more inaccurate for determining what type you are. The questions are too general and is the reason you keep getting different results. Professionals who administer the the MG test, at the college level, suggest retaking the test a few times to get an average on where you type and use that as a staring point. One needs to then look at the cognitive functions a little further to see what applies to you and what doesn't. Some will discount the test, personality traits, and functions all together just because the tests are unreliable. That is a fair argument in regards to the tests, but it doesn't mean the cognitive functions don't exist. There is actually scientific research that has proven the functions are there and that there are 16 different personalities that can arrive out of the combinations. We just need a test that is more reliable than the Myers-Briggs.

Don't believe the stuff you hear about what the types are supposed to like and dislike or how they are supposed to act. A lot of it is regurgitated info people spread around the internet to lump people into a box to find their identity more easily. The truth is, it's not that black and white. There maybe INFJs that love literature, but then there are some that probably don't. There maybe INTJs that are incredibly smart, while some are complete idiots. The cognitive functions don't determine those sort things anyway. Those sort things comes from your upbringing and environment not the way people use their brains on a daily basis. Which leads to what they call "underdeveloped cognitive functions".  It basically means someone who hasn't developed their functions enough to utilize them to their best ability. I suspect that a large majority of the population are underdeveloped in their functions. The ones that are fully developed are the ones who stand out in society, regardless of what personality type they have. What makes it even more crazy is that your functions start to develop at different stages in your life. Going from puberty to middle age.

The reason you see a lot of INTJ/INFJ online is because some people don't understand that the test is unreliable and can be skewed depending on how you answer. If they get tested as one of the rarest types, they run with it because for some reason they think being "rare" is special. In reality, if they were those types, they probably wouldn't like it. The downside to having a rare type is that you hardly run into like minded people, so you constantly feel lost or misunderstood by the more common types. Relationships are harder because your SO doesn't understand your needs or you can't provide for their needs because you live in your head 90% of the time. 

As for happiness, it's internal. It comes from the inside. You will never find it looking at the external world, but I do hope you find it. Here are some quotes that helped me along the way.....

That sounds fairly logical indeed and what I started doing later, since I found the tests too contradictory in nature. I looked at the various cognitive functions and believed I found it as ENFP.  Si versus Se, I am better with the details and "not focusing on the larger picture" according to those around me, as I feel the details make up the greater picture. Just like an ENFP, it is last in the stack, which would make sense as I am terrible at implementation or being consistent. Ni versus Ne, I am often seen as being disconnected from reality and having entirely abnormal theories, therefore that is more Ne than the predictable Ni.

Morals and decisions based on feelings was one that always confused me as well, as I am unsure how to precisely identify this in myself. I base most of what I do on preference, I seek the game I enjoy after all. But then again, is this not the logical direction? It seems irrational to go against one's own preferences in any circumstances, that assumes the self is trying to meet the external. This sounds incorrect to me, since I cannot seem to fake enjoyment for titles everyone else can praise, thereby making it more likely I have Fi. I value honesty highly and being an individual.

Of course, people always said I had a highly developed sense of Ti, which is where I was entirely thrown off of ENFP. Ti questions everything and tries to reconstruct it, to try to figure out meaning and purpose for the self, which can summarize a lot of what I do. I do not accept external facts without my own evaluations. This means I end up with Ti-Fi, which makes no sense since you either have Te-Fi or Ti-Fe.  This means the best I have to go on is ENFP with a confusing Ti-Fi nature, which becomes more confusing when you detect me as the exact opposite in the function stacks. seeing a similar nature to yourself when I would apparently be the opposite.

It does make sense that the types have been deformed over the internet to mean a lot more than they originally did. It feels more liberating in a way to know not all fit into such a category, that I would not be as much an outcast to such categorical boxes. I recall hearing about "underdeveloped cognitive functions" and how we gradually gain more development as we go along. One thing I do remember about MBTI is that taking the test as a teenager often would be even more unreliable for the reason that the functions themselves had yet to fully form. This seems similar to what you mentioned, except that as stated even later the test seems inefficient at finding yourself.

Actually, you just described my misery pretty well. I am an individual pretty much known for being unique, not because I am trying, but because I just see things in a different way and prefer different things. This immediately results in people assuming I am taking pride in being a special snowflake, but the truth of the matter is there is little benefit to being so different. Disliking the mainstream isn't a good thing, because that means you will have to look harder to find what you enjoy, and there are possibly those like me that possibly spend all their time hunting and little time actually enjoying. I would love to turn on a radio and enjoy the song on it, it is almost agonizing that I can't. I feel a sort of jealousy at how easy others can have it to find what they like, that after all this time it feels like I am just roaming a desert. I want to grasp what makes them appreciate the art. I try and endure, I end up making myself miserable, in the hopes of grasping it... of appreciating what seems perfectly obvious to others. I always hope that I did not give enough effort to properly enjoy, perhaps I was just unaccustomed, and yet it always feels like things degenerate. The more I touch them, the more I find the flaws, and the more I end up actually struggling to come to terms with something others can enjoy.

I always heard INFJ was rare, but never knew such a thing was correlated to INTJs as well. Potentially, my rarity could suggest such an exclusive branch, since I tend to question how it appears society can interconnect while I appear to exist as a separate function. A cog that just doesn't spin the way it should, the way that would make life so easy. Relationships are impossible for me because, from experience so far, no individual can handle my presence more than a few months. I am also highly undesirable by society's terms, since I deviate in almost every way and thus don't have much connection to their challenge and vanity. Plus, there is of course the issue that I am unsure what two humans can even benefit from interaction with each other that could not be achieved through messages online. Romance is an extremely confusing topic, since individuals seem to state "you just feel it", which in turn makes me question my empathetic abilities. Other individuals almost seem possessed by a hive mind. They cringe at your failures, they feel sad if someone else is depressed... it is a rather confusing subject, how one can almost radiate off others just by a mood. Pity is a confusing thing, I do not understand why humans feel pity or how pity can exist when the individual is not the one doing it (since that would be shame, another confusing emotion).

Happiness is internal... a curious fact, since I am unsure how to generate such a reaction without an external factor. And I am unsure how that makes sense, since the reasoning for my negativity is because I have no enjoyment. If I could find enjoyment, or change internally to enjoy what exists, then my problem would be gone. This problem does not seem to involve many internal elements besides what I do and do not like, which I am unsure how to change. Ghandi's quote seems to further this point, "what you do" implies an external satisfaction is necessary. I wish I could lower my expectations, but that is what I am finding it difficult to do, and one of my great struggles. Therefore, what is missing is a hobby, a purpose for being, a thing of enjoyment to spend time between sleeping and working. Looking past its imperfections is an ideal I would love to reach, but one I seem unable to achieve so far.

If one does not require happiness, then what meaning is there? The meaning must be defined by the self, but the self seeks tranquility or happiness. This means, to reach a state of inertia or calm, one must be happy. To be happy one must either embrace what exists or create anew, neither of which is a path I seem to be able to tread at the current time without negativity overwhelming it. Some may listen to songs they hate and say they at least find what they are looking for more, me I find it destruction, one more avenue I cannot appreciate or even comprehend.

2 hours ago, acursedsexaddict said:

<snip>

We sound a lot a like tbh. Most days I find it hard to be happy so I just try to be content because I know if I at least have that, then happiness has the opportunity to surface. It's like the middle ground between a positive and negative emotion. It's more of a neutral state. I know if I'm angry, then it will take a lot more effort to become happy and vice versa. I found ways to be content which mostly consist of being creative or admiring creative work if I can appreciate the complexity involved. I hate half assed creativity though. Like modern art. Even though it's more about the message, the artwork itself looks extremely easy so I get more annoyed by it. I saw this one piece which was simply a piece of drywall with mold. Someone cut it out of a wall and put it into a frame. It sold for $100,000...:/ I see things like that more and more these days. People doing the bare minimum and getting praise as if they are some genius or savant. It depresses me because people will say "it's amazing!". If they are using that word to describe something simple and mundane, then what IS actually amazing? What is the word you use then?

Games and modding are another thing that makes me content. Really anything that allows my mind to wonder makes me that way. But I can quickly become annoyed when problems surface so sometimes I just have to walk away and do something different for a little bit. Buggy mods make me extremely annoyed sometimes, but I know that is just my expectations not being met. So I try to lower it down a bit and just go back a save. Eventually the bug worked it's way out and I'm right back to enjoying my game. If I start getting bored with it, that is when I mod because it will be something new that I incorporate into the game. 

I have several of these creative endeavors I get into. Another one is programming. Building things and seeing it work or finally solving a problem is a truly wonderful experience. But the problem itself can drive me crazy though...which leads me to walk away and do something different. Doing this way has a drawback because I constantly got my hands in several projects that never get finished. I will lose interest too quickly or ponder the reason why I'm even doing it. I draw a lot and use Photoshop to make digital art, but never finish a damn thing because I get bored halfway through it. I then just look at the time wasted as practice so I don't feel bad about wasting time. The ONLY things I do finish are mods. I think it has to do with wanting to see the mod in my game so it gives me more motivation to finish.

When it comes to friends or family.  I only have a few that I hang out with. I usually have to let some time go by in between hangouts or when we talk because if I see them everyday, it will be small talk, which I hate because it's so predictable. If I let time go by, then the discussion is more about what they did in between the time we didn't interact which I find interesting because they are my friends. Those kinds of conversations only last a few minutes though and we are right back to talking about mundane shit. I say mundane because as an INTJ, my thoughts are on a different level because I think too much. I want to talk about complex things and they quickly get lost and try to change the subject or I see that they are getting bored. I never discuss what I did since the last time I saw them simply for this reason. They don't understand what I do with programming, mods or artwork. So I simply reply..."Not much" with their question of what I did last week or I will just name a few random mundane things that they can relate to. It's kind of a weird dynamic I have with friends. Meeting new ones is hard because as an INTJ one of our traits is being "standoffish" or "judgmental". When people look at us, that is what they read. In reality it's more of a curiousness than a judgmental demeanor. It's because having "I" as the first letter means we display the second letter (introverted intuition) to the outside world. People that have "E" as their first letter display the extroverted personality. So they come across as outgoing even if they are not.  People with "I" don't display introvertion on the outside because it's the nature of being introverted...you only do it when you are alone. 

Sorry for the wall of text. If you read it then you are a champ...lol I definitely "get you" from what you told me so far, so know that there is someone out there that can relate to you on some level. 

On 6/9/2019 at 11:43 PM, ISNAN said:

<snip>

Potentially, it is definitely intriguing and nice to find someone like me out there, and I am grateful for your responses, even if it confuses me more since an INTJ is the opposite of what I figured I was. Happiness and content feel about the same in my eyes, I am looking for more of the latter, since I feel that will be the same as the former. My issue is being so against things, so cynical, or finding them mundane to the point of annoyance. At the same time, I am not really emotionally intense, at least I don't believe so. People around me have often told me that I am detached, that I lack those sort of strong emotions. I have passion for an inner world, but am pretty much disconnected from the external, and don't really get such emotions as anger.

Creativity is definitely something to embrace, I for one would love to be more creative, but find I just lack the talents after years of effort with 3d modeling. It also doesn't help that I don't really feel much devotion to modding a game when I can't really find that game I hold passion for. Plus, I tend to have a sort of inconsistent nature, where a specific style and mood changes with each time I sit down and put effort into something. What I mean is that I can focus on something and start designing it, then get interrupted to do some minor thing or have a small phone call from a wrong number, then come back to find my atmosphere has entirely shifted. The structure never really goes where it should, the whole ambience ends up being inconsistent, and I tend to not really make much sense by the end. As for complexity, I can respect it in artworks, but find emotional intensity to generally be the drawing factor.

It feels like people tend to appreciate the simple and mundane. Look at the general nature of adult games. Most are visual novels, literal pictures in CYOA format, and while the writing could be at various levels, you cannot really have a sophisticated title or actual gameplay with such limited resources. Fully fleshed out 3d games or 2d games that aren't just RPG Maker are games I will put more effort into trying, since both require a lot more effort on the user, since they are made to be actual games with input choices.

You are quite right though, it is that which allows my mind to wander that is what I need. The problem is just the general lack of challenge, especially due to the focus on getting to all the adult content. I have seen plenty of reviews PRAISING the easiness of the title, saying how great it is that you can die at a spot without even needing to risk anything. It feels like most people don't really seek art in adult titles, mostly just dismissing them as smut and thus wanting them mindless for a quick bit of pleasure. They are made to be as disposable as the porno magazines of old, when I desire something that could be sustainable for life.

Oh yes, frustrations and problems definitely get to me as well. Skyrim is one of those things that is praised and said to be the creme of the crop, yet after more than a year of just trying to set it up, I am still not really at a point where I can play it for more than half an hour without getting highly frustrated. Since my earlier post, I found Sexlab Adventures can be converted to SE, which means I could set up stalkers that would chase the player. Of course, then I started getting annoyed with how easy it was to cheese it, since you can prevent them from triggering their script just by keeping a step in front of them, even if they are faster they never really catch you. Plus if you leave a dungeon, that momentary wait can allow them to teleport, even if they were much further behind before. Plus, ignoring all of that, I cannot seem to get a game of Skyrim going where I do not teleport to the middle of the world or enter a grey void every few minutes. That is on top of all the crashes, possibly due to the non-converted properly mod. I hate crashing games, it takes me too much out of the action, and is one of the big reasons Oblivion got on my nerves when it wasn't that I kept getting stuck behind the pillars on Death Alternative or would pass out permanently for fatigue for reasons nobody could really fix besides tell me that it was my fault for playing the game the way I wanted to. It feels like adult mods only really exist, outside of basic nude mods (as in, no other games seem to offer real NPCs giving you challenge for the sex via rape, but it being more consensual), for Bethesda games. At least if you don't count the Sims, which doesn't really have much of an interactive element there.

That is the problem, the bugs never really work themselves out for me, they just get progressively worse the more I do it, as the bug tends to become more apparent to the point it almost overwhelms the game itself. Elder Scrolls Arena starts relatively decent, but then spams you with memory errors in the late game. And since I can't really mod myself, nor am I even sure I could be happy with my mods due to the amount of work and the lack of talent I have, I am pretty much stuck being bored and upset.

All I want for a game is one that works right, that doesn't shake at the seams to the point I am fighting with it more than playing. It should have some sort of goal so the challenge is actually existent, as opposed to say Minecraft where you make some self-imposed goal to gather resources only to really run out of things to do if you aren't a builder. I want randomization as the game otherwise ends up getting predictable on replays to the point it feels more like a mindless checklist, especially if there are puzzles with the exact same solution that will of course give you no real things to do on a replay.  Plus it needs to offer some challenge, otherwise the game is pretty pointless sadly. The problem is that such a title is just rather uncommon to begin with, then of course when one gets made it includes a bunch of elements I get bothered with. That is of course without diving into stuff that frustrates me to no end but I try to put up with, such as forced lesbian scenes. The ideal game would be some sort of asexual female avoiding as much sex as she can from a maledom world with roguelike gameplay mechanics. Sort of like Trap Quest, but visual and without the whole thing being implied to be a consensual simulation.

That is pretty much my issue with trying to solve issues, I end up with a series of problems that lead me on endless chases. I have trouble giving up on things, so I end up breaking myself down and getting miserable. I start losing my ability to even handle reality and its own challenges, since I am too focused on trying to get this thing done properly. And since I am but a feeble beginner, I can never hope for the aspirations that would require years of training. Regardless, it would be nice to do something, except that I never really get to see any finished work since I cannot even complete tutorials properly. I cannot figure out how to use Photoshop to draw either, that is even more alien to me than 3d modeling. And programming is a lot of memorization I would struggle with, stuff that means little unless I can make some art. I guess part of my problem is I don't believe in doing things from stock, I would want to do it all and do it to my specific standards, which just is impossible as I have extremely high standards. I wish I was competent, I have some motivation but just a lack of talent, and also my motivation is specific to my way or the highway.

Friends or family... I have my father, who looks after me and offers me guidance but is mostly frustrated with my depression. The rest of my family gave up on me long ago, since I was too incompetent for them. I can't really do much in basic life. I managed to get a position at a job where people are nice to me, but understand I hate socializing and also am paranoid about revealing anything about myself as I don't want to ruin my job and I am too abnormal for others. I don't really socialize with other human beings outside of the computer. I generally have one or two people I talk to on forums daily. Otherwise I spend my time searching for that which I can enjoy without success. Most people I have tried to befriend have given up on me due to how miserable I am and how I just lack any interests. Needless to say, I cannot even comprehend "hanging out" or what such an act implies. People I generally find are useful diversions to keep me away from the hell of exploring without really finding, I question how much socialization I would need if I actually had something else I could focus on. People hate talking to me anyway since my life never changes, I am the same every day as I am always hunting and always negative, so there is nothing really to tell about what has happened. It could be weeks, really doesn't change anything, and so I end up with awkward silence as I apologize for not being entertaining enough and eventually they log off or I log off so that we can get back to our individual tasks.

I find it ironic you state you are judgemental, because you have been one of the more accepting so far. Most tell me to either kill myself or how I am a terrible person. They find me highly delusional and end up telling me that I cannot be who I say I am, for I am too unbelievable of an individual. This is what confuses me about judgemental individuals, they seem less so, at least for a bit until they hurt me more than the other types. At least INFJ.

Curious that you only display introversion when alone. I have a severe case of social anxiety, I have run away from people due to there being too many. I cannot handle crowds. I need noise-cancelling headphones to function in society in any way. I cannot even comprehend the meaning or basis for other human beings beyond a diversion from the misery of entertainment, or for multiplayer which can be beneficial since they can add randomization to what would otherwise be predictable and even goals to where there would be none. Of course, since people hate playing with me and I get get stressed from going outside of my very limited circles to join their severs... it isn't something I really do. That is another part confusing about being an ENFP, since I am possibly more introverted than most introverts, almost to the point of being a disconnected recluse. Yet I ironically need and can definitely benefit from people, since said people are good at diversions and offering more meaning to things. At least until they get frustrated with my slow rate of doing things since I am very methodical.

Oh, don't worry about the wall of text, as you can clearly see I am just as bad if not worse. It has been an issue of mine for as long as I have known, I tend to just want to detail things as much as possible, so I end up with such lengthy amounts of text that only the really patient types want to bother looking at them in the first place. Needless to say, I am grateful you have put up with me, and it is no trouble to read yours. I actually feel bad for being slow to respond, taking an extra day due to just bad memory.

I can appreciate you relating to me. I can appreciate knowing that possibly INTJ is more my direction. Anything to give me hope I guess...  I just hope to somehow figure out what I can enjoy. Or how to change myself to enjoy things.

On 6/9/2019 at 10:43 PM, ISNAN said:

1 hour ago, acursedsexaddict said:

Myers-Briggs were designed by mystery novel writers....
Reason why it doesn't fit and has such an issue for some people to feel as if it fits.

2:01 Even Carl Jung didn't agree. (also his original group consisted of 8 and was intended to be a generalization not a specific grouping)

So if anyone feels a bit off, or has some issues or feels this test is not working for them or doesn't fit right... it is perfectly fine and normal and even expected...

1 hour ago, RitualClarity said:

Like I said before, the test is unreliable because the questions are too general, but that doesn't mean the functions and personality types don't exist. The test is used as a starting point to see where you fall. You then look at the functions and determine if it applies to you or not. You don't even have to take the test to get your personality code if you understand the functions. There is plenty of research and data that proves the functions do indeed exist. 

Also, the test we use today by employers was expanded upon over the years based on the original findings of the research of Katherine Briggs and Isabel Myers. This happened in the 70s. Briggs and Myers took the unfinished work of Jung and expanded upon it which lead to identifying the functions. Jung talked about personality types vaguely, but never dug much deeper than that. 

Discounting the whole concept entirely is like a mechanic discounting an engine just because his method of troubleshooting is flawed. 

Look into Dario Nardi, a UCLA professor, author, and expert in the field of neuroscience. His work has shown the functions and types of personalities are there. 

3 hours ago, acursedsexaddict said:

I don't mind reading longer texts as long as it's separated into paragraphs which you do very well. Your posts are very easy to read, takes only a few minutes and has a good flow to to it. If I can't give you 5 minutes then I suck as a human being...lol You should take up writing imho. It's a good way to expand creativity or simply writing a journal helps to see patterns in your thought process or just allowing your mind to wonder freely. You never know what you might find. 

Are you sure you are an ENFP? That would suggest you are extroverted. You sound more introverted to me. Extroverts get their mental energy from being around other people. They get bored easily when being alone. Introverts get their energy from alone time and get exhausted mentally when they are around large groups of people. That is not to say that each type can't step out of their zones and feel comfortable, but they can't sustain it for very long periods of time. You could even be a bit of an Ambivert. One that has both traits. Which could explain why you get extroverted some times. If you think of it as a spectrum where extrovert is on one end, and introvert on the other, then ambivert would be somewhere in the middle. I think I'm an Ambivert who leans more towards introvert depending on my mood that day. 

This is the very reason why employers use the MBTI or colleges test for it. Knowing your type allows you to better fine tune were your abilities happen to lay. Like for instance, as an INTJ, I would not want to get a career in social work. It would be mentally draining for me and I would never be able to use my full abilities which would cause me to hate my job even more or get stressed more easily. Someone who is say, ISFP would not want to get a job in computer science because their functions are introverted sensory and  extroverted feeling. It's not to say they couldn't do it, but they probably wont excel and meet their full potential or that of their employer. The idea of "you can be whatever you want to be", is very unrealistic because of this fact. 

As for gaming, I'm the same way. I hate CTD more than anything because it's so sudden. I'm playing Oblivion right now and you know how buggy that game is. It took me a good year and a half before I finally got a stable game. If it wasn't for the information here at LL, I would still be pulling my hair out. I never play the games as they were intended to be played. There is no "end game" for me except boredom. I only play open ended or sand box style of games. I despise linear games unless it has a good story. Another game I fall back into sometimes is Star Wars Galaxies. There is a team bringing back the pre-cu era of the game and it's almost complete. There are some modded servers popping up now so it will be sky's the limit with that. The only downside is there are no sex mods for it. I guess there could be if someone wanted to mod a server for that reason. I don't need sex in every game. Elder Scrolls is probably the best platform for those types of mods anyway. 

Feel free to PM me. I usually check the forums once a day or so. 

1 hour ago, ISNAN said:

Like I said before, the test is unreliable because the questions are too general, but that doesn't mean the functions and personality types don't exist. The test is used as a starting point to see where you fall. You then look at the functions and determine if it applies to you or not. You don't even have to take the test to get your personality code if you understand the functions. There is plenty of research and data that proves the functions do indeed exist. 

Also, the test we use today by employers was expanded upon over the years based on the original findings of the research of Katherine Briggs and Isabel Myers. This happened in the 70s. Briggs and Myers took the unfinished work of Jung and expanded upon it which lead to identifying the functions. Jung talked about personality types vaguely, but never dug much deeper than that. 

Discounting the whole concept entirely is like a mechanic discounting an engine just because his method of troubleshooting is flawed. 

Look into Dario Nardi, a UCLA professor, author, and expert in the field of neuroscience. His work has shown the functions and types of personalities are there. 

There is no discounting done. Realistic understanding of the source... two people without any formal training in Physiology creating a test sourced from a leader in Physiology at that time which himself discounts the results. Simple as that. 

Most that use this testing process are further harmed by the "quick test" that are given. Test that give one result of the 16.  Where many with the same result might respond differently from others in that same group due to the differences and the inherent lack of reliability  of the testing approach. (which most professionals in the field that would use this test would most likely agree to.) Professional or guided testing as a part of a series of test from a professional taking into account other results and giving a % of the results (where you fall in the various aspects of the Brigs Myers test) will net a much more valid result.

Note... a part of a series of test from a professional to help you gain an understanding of what is going on and who you are is needed for this to be useful. Other than that it is nothing more than a game as Carl Jung stated much later.

Finally a test like this would likely be seriously dismissed if created today, as it doesn't follow the necessary requirements for modern physiology standards.  Not much unlike some of the questionnaires that you might find on Facebook where you can find out what mystical creature you are most like, or which Harry Potter person you most belong to etc. etc. Knowing the process you can also figure out the results without even taking the test. Also if taken at a different time later... weeks or months later, would/could net a different result.

It is the reason, as posted before... not fitting or changes occurring between testing.  FYI.. I list as a INTJ... ranging between 59% ~89%... with some tendencies toward the side of INTP. (mostly leaning toward that )

Considering that is suppose to be one of the smallest groups... strange how almost everybody that post about Briggs Myers seems to be an INTJ  16% of the people. also comes with a nice title... :(  

f (33).jpg

3 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

There is no discounting done. Realistic understanding of the source... two people without any formal training in Physiology creating a test sourced from a leader in Physiology at that time which himself discounts the results. Simple as that. 

Most that use this testing process are further harmed by the "quick test" that are given. Test that give one result of the 16.  Where many with the same result might respond differently from others in that same group due to the differences and the inherent lack of reliability  of the testing approach. (which most professionals in the field that would use this test would most likely agree to.) Professional or guided testing as a part of a series of test from a professional taking into account other results and giving a % of the results (where you fall in the various aspects of the Brigs Myers test) will net a much more valid result.

Note... a part of a series of test from a professional to help you gain an understanding of what is going on and who you are is needed for this to be useful. Other than that it is nothing more than a game as Carl Jung stated much later.

Finally a test like this would likely be seriously dismissed if created today, as it doesn't follow the necessary requirements for modern physiology standards.  Not much unlike some of the questionnaires that you might find on Facebook where you can find out what mystical creature you are most like, or which Harry Potter person you most belong to etc. etc. Knowing the process you can also figure out the results without even taking the test. Also if taken at a different time later... weeks or months later, would/could net a different result.

It is the reason, as posted before... not fitting or changes occurring between testing.  FYI.. I list as a INTJ... ranging between 59% ~89%... with some tendencies toward the side of INTP. (mostly leaning toward that )

Considering that is suppose to be one of the smallest groups... strange how almost everybody that post about Briggs Myers seems to be an INTJ  16% of the people. also comes with a nice title... :(  

f (33).jpg

You keep going back to the test itself. Yes, the test is unreliable to determine your personality type if you only take it one time. That is why they recommend retaking it a few times to increase the accuracy rate OR you just skip the test entirely and look at the cognitive functions and see what applies to you.  There is no denying that the cognitive functions and personality types exist when there is enough evidence to show that they do. This research has been done in the last 20-30 years. After the deaths of Myers, Briggs and Jung. So it doesn't matter that Jung didn't agree with Myers and Briggs from 1930-1950. Just because Jung didn't accept typology, because it wasn't aligned with his book, does not mean that Myer's and Brigg's work didn't have some merit. We later find out that it does and it goes more in depth than what Myers and Briggs purposed because now we can see the areas of the brain being activated which corresponds to the cognitive functions. It makes perfect sense that Jung didn't agree with Myers and Briggs because their work was only a small glimpse of the bigger picture.

It took me a solid month of researching the functions and digging deep within myself to determine my type. When I say deep, I mean DEEP. Like going back to my childhood, adolescence, and adulthood and replaying past memories of my thoughts and actions to see how my brain evolved throughout those years. Some times, it was a bitter pill to swallow because I realized I wasn't what I thought I was. It also revealed hidden truths that I always downplayed because I thought I wasn't good enough or even had that capability within me. But I had to understand the functions first before I could even do that kind of introspection. But the MBTI test gave me a road map on where to start initially.

Now when it comes to the characteristics of the personalty types, most of it is wrong, regurgitated nonsense because you simply can not put yourself into a box like that. Plus you have to factor in your upbringing, environment, and whether or not you are fully developed or underdeveloped in those functions. So the titles really don't mean anything. Just because one is an INTJ, does not mean they are "the mastermind" or "Architect" or that they "hate everyone" because they care more about their feelings than others. I suspect that is what people go off of when they look into their types. They take the test, read the description and go.."Yep that's me!". Which is the wrong way of going about it because you are just basing it off of misconceptions.

You have to look at the functions.

Wow. All of this voluminous chit chat. Thankfully, talk is cheap (from a bandwidth perspective, as well as otherwise.)

Questions.

How many of you obsessively chatty motherfuckers are over the age of 50?

How many of you contemplate your (possibly soonly!) imminent mortality?

21 minutes ago, Pork Type said:

How many of you contemplate your (possibly soonly!) imminent mortality?

Every now and then i'll be lying on the bed at night thinking what it's like to be dead. And what's gonna happen if i die the next day. But then i think that in death nothing would matter, and even nothing would cease. So i go meh and fall asleep. I wonder how i'll look when i'm 50 though, hmmmm

8 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:

I wonder how i'll look when i'm 50 though, hmmmm

Depends upon the audience.

The weirdest thing that happened to me at 50, was realizing how many prominent media figures were actually YOUNGER than me.

Then I realized. Pretty much 75% of everyone currently alive, is younger than me. What a mindfuck.

1 hour ago, Pork Type said:

Depends upon the audience.

The weirdest thing that happened to me at 50, was realizing how many prominent media figures were actually YOUNGER than me.

Then I realized. Pretty much 75% of everyone currently alive, is younger than me. What a mindfuck.

I can only imagine. It's weird looking at teenagers because i sometimes feel like i'm beginning to develop more and more of a disconnect from them. It wasn't that long ago i was one myself and now i'm like "Shit, now i'm a full blown adult! They'll think i'm cringe if i partake in their line of conversations" lol

I was just watching this and snickering over the fact that this is NOT how you roll a proper joint.

This is a joint 'US' style.. sharp.. will make you cough and worst of all it'll burn up 2/3rds of your weed before it hits your lungs.

First thing is you'll want to roll it inside out, so you don't smoke an excess of paper. Secondly you'll want to use either real tobacco, or a tobacco replacer in it so your weed won't burn up, but will instead evaporate as the more combustible tobacco heats it up.

https://keytocannabis.com/blogs/cannabis/the-art-of-rolling-joints-inside-out

1 hour ago, Mr.Otaku said:

I can only imagine. It's weird looking at teenagers because i sometimes feel like i'm beginning to develop more and more of a disconnect from them. It wasn't that long ago i was one myself and now i'm like "Shit, now i'm a full blown adult! They'll think i'm cringe if i partake in their line of conversations" lol

It only gets worse, my friend, :)

[BURP] My internet decided to die, but I saved the rest of the post.

Sorry but it's true. That 20 something server in the restaurant, that you see once a week or two and casually flirt with... 'cos it's fun...

In your mind, it's flirtation. In hers, it's something else. You're jaded/conditioned. She's not.

At some point, you realize that your dalliances are more harmful than not. And you simply quit fucking around with young women. If you care about them. Or at least your soul, anyhow.

I was 45 when I came to this realization. That I was no longer a young man. And had no business whatsoever fucking around with 20 somethings.

Bunch of unpleasant thoughts unfortunately. I wanna rant and scream about things that make me angry but there's no one to listen. I did try it in the past and eventually nearly everyone walks away, nowadays I think it's better if I act like a heartless corpse wading through life.

24 minutes ago, NitroHamlin said:

I'd been longing for a lewd dream to finally come to me, but to get one of me and a close relative... ended up staring at the walls for about half an hour after I woke up from that nightmare.

It was just a dream, I know it can be disconcerting but keep reminding that to yourself. If you feel like it bothers you on a deeper level, consider talking about it to a specialist. It may sound a bit simple of me to say that, but I've been having strange and ridiculous dreams that border on horror/action film sequences for years now and honestly I kind of enjoy them. They're just dreams.

1 hour ago, Pork Type said:

It only gets worse, my friend, :)

[BURP] My internet decided to die, but I saved the rest of the post.

Sorry but it's true. That 20 something server in the restaurant, that you see once a week or two and casually flirt with... 'cos it's fun...

In your mind, it's flirtation. In hers, it's something else. You're jaded/conditioned. She's not.

At some point, you realize that your dalliances are more harmful than not. And you simply quit fucking around with young women. If you care about them. Or at least your soul, anyhow.

I was 45 when I came to this realization. That I was no longer a young man. And had no business whatsoever fucking around with 20 somethings.

Even though 45/50 is still more than twice as much my age, i can already kinda understand that position. I guess my tendency to listen more than talk and distance myself from everything when in doubt has allowed me much time to observe the world as it is. I talk to tons of older guys, some i'm friends with too. They tell me a lot about how life is like for a middle aged man and stuff. It's very fascinating and jading at the same time. I'll admit, it got really really bad a few years ago, i guess i got overwhelmed with all this raw insight and i got really jaded. I'm over that now, but i still can't look at the world the same way some of my other friends of the same age groups do.

On one hand i sometimes wish i was oblivious to all of the "truth", so that i could enjoy my life more in a happy carefree manner like the rest of them. On the other hand, it's quite terrifying to think of myself without all this information and insight. Though i later decided that i'd rather know bitter truth than cling to sweet delusions.

8 hours ago, ISNAN said:

You keep going back to the test itself. Yes, the test is unreliable to determine your personality type if you only take it one time.

I stated also that it is used but with a % and with a professional giving it along with many other test and reviews...

Even then the vast majority of professionals in the field discount, avoid or outright don't use it due to its nature. 

Also... current testing and standards for "Scientific" test require reliable testing results that can be repeated over and over... this tests doesn't measure up.  Used by schools and some that have paid the fees to administer these test and vastly avoided by any serious professional physiologist.  Readers don't have to take my word for it... just look it up on the web. Look at serious sites dedicated by, curated by professionals in the field and you will soon see where that test stand.

Most "testing" afterwards as you mention was done so by those with a vested interest in keeping the test going.  Also easily found out on the web and various sources. That test and  a couple of bucks will get you a Cappuccino at Starbucks. It has little to do with guidance into a job as many using it has found out (also many reports on the web from professional non-vested physiology writers)

My problem is with the test and how it is used by people. (commonly that is, not your case) Not professionals (which if used will use it with a battery of other test as well as interviews and such to get a firm grasp on what is going on and who you are)  How common people use it... is nothing more than some of the other games you find on Facebook.  Using it as a starting point to figure out who you are.. well.. maybe but there are other ways to go about it. however, if it gives someone a start and they continue to dig and find out about themselves.. then OK.. however, on the other hand, they can do that themselves without the test.

I remember my classes quite well on this subject and a very old Physiologist from the 60s that was semi retired. He went through many aspects of this and influenced the test just by having conversations and discussions, sometimes questioning someone on their facts (shedding doubt) and the results would change. he shown how this wasn't a "scientific test"  My test showed the "mastermind" which in some cases does apply (with many others) however, he proved to me it was also combined to my I.Q and many that have an high I.Q also have many characteristics like that.  Oh, by the way, I.Qs are also not reliable in the public setting without someone working to evaluate it that is a professional .. most part useless.  With a bit of prep.. he shown us that we can change our scores as much as 20 points or more.  To put it in perspective... a higher than average intelligent person could score in the Mensa level.

Since you found that useful, check into "Focus 3" There are people that like that layout and helps many in the business field achieve more. Helps with paths of development and problem solving, helps train to prevent .. preventable mistakes. Much of what is there (had to take it) is found elsewhere, but structured in a way that is a but more solid. Easier to follow (path way)