What's on your mind?

On 12/12/2021 at 2:43 AM, Evaloves4 said:

79773862_2021-12-1208_40_59-Jutarnjilist-Citywipedoffthefaceoftheearth_Asifthetrainroarede.png.ec0378a73798d7ba42d0cb7d0760f360.png

Oh My Omg Sticker by EmojiSad Face Sticker by Emoji

Some interesting facts about tornadoes:

Tornadoes have occurred in several countries, but the top three (per annual) are:

Argentina :   7 per year

Canada:       300 per year

US:              1200 per year

Living in Tornado alley (middle part of the US), chances are very likely that most (80-70%) people have been close enough to a tornado to hear it.  One (several years ago) passed over our apartment (jumping...as they do) leaving a tree on our deck and damage to the wall.   Did sound a bit like a train going by

Link to the drone coverage of this tornado.

Spoiler

Edited by steelpanther24
12 minutes ago, Psalam said:

Yes indeed it did. Please read Rule #2 again. There are many people grieving right now.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who lost loved ones, but there are also children in undeveloped countries who are suffering fates worse than death.

My sympathy for those suffering in first world countries is extremely limited.

41 minutes ago, Etrius vanRandr said:

I'm sure there are plenty of people who lost loved ones, but there are also children in undeveloped countries who are suffering fates worse than death.

My sympathy for those suffering in first world countries is extremely limited.

I get that in the sense of people whining about "first world problems" like not being able to buy anything they want at the Holidays because of supply chain issues which are the result of Pandemic problems. However, loss of lives and homes is a universal human problem. I would have, and would still, similarly delete a post that said that "it is a good thing that Third World children are starving - it reduces the excess population." I expect to find a certain amount of empathy in the posts on LL. I've deleted ones that simply made fun of the OP - how much more then when dismissing the feelings of thousands going through their grief in the face of natural disaster beyond their control.

This conversation is over. If you have additional things you want to say to me PM me. If this persists on this Thread I'll be forced to lock it --- which I would prefer to avoid since it is popular and the vast majority of people on this Thread have done nothing to deserve having the Thread locked on them.

On 12/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, steelpanther24 said:

Some interesting facts about tornadoes:

Tornadoes have occurred in several countries, but the top three (per annual) are:

Argentina :   7 per year

Canada:       300 per year

US:              1200 per year

Living in Tornado alley (middle part of the US), chances are very likely that most (80-70%) people have been close enough to a tornado to hear it.  One (several years ago) passed over our apartment (jumping...as they do) leaving a tree on our deck and damage to the wall.   Did sound a bit like a train going by

Link to the drone coverage of this tornado.

Reveal hidden contents

I live in CO, and we have a Tornado Siren that they test every first Wednesday. We've had a few close calls, but those things are kinda rare here. Very sad what happened.

6 minutes ago, Psalam said:

I get that in the sense of people whining about "first world problems" like not being able to buy anything they want at the Holidays because of supply chain issues which are the result of Pandemic problems. However, loss of lives and homes is a universal human problem. I would have, and would still, similarly delete a post that said that "it is a good thing that Third World children are starving - it reduces the excess population." I expect to find a certain amount of empathy in the posts on LL. I've deleted ones that simply made fun of the OP - how much more then when dismissing the feelings of thousands going through their grief in the face of natural disaster beyond their control.

This conversation is over. If you have additional things you want to say to me PM me. If this persists on this Thread I'll be forced to lock it --- which I would prefer to avoid since it is popular and the vast majority of people on this Thread have done nothing to deserve having the Thread locked on them.

This....all day.

Now this really is freakin amazing.   NY Times did a better story but they paywall and some here might not be subscribers.

https://thearizonatimes.com/asmls-high-na-euv-lithography-machine-is-set-to-transform-chipmaking/

It isn't in the story but they are pushing down to 3.5nm ..........soon  we will have chips with a single electron width.   The only thing that makes me sad is I opted to focus on job security rather than R+D coming out of school.    Ah well. 

"Chips are often comprised of 100-150 layers on one single silicon wafer. Only the most complicated layers need to be made with EUV machines, while more simple layers can be made with DUV machines, which ASML also makes, and other tools."

4 hours ago, Tlam99 said:

Electrons don't have a diameter but wavelenght, ca. 2, 5 power -12.

A way to go from nm. Maybe on second earth.

The NYT article did talk about the next "barrier" to Moore's law.  However, it was my limited knowledge that commented about being only one electron width.

Protons have mass?  I didn't even know they were catholic!

- FO3

16 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I'd much rather listen intently some of the time and try to figure out what I'm hearing than to always listen intently and hear nothing or worse - imagine what I hear.

> I would appreciate if you would translate this to me ..... you know, my English and I ..... ehhhh :D

52 minutes ago, Evaloves4 said:

> I would appreciate if you would translate this to me ..... you know, my English and I ..... ehhhh :D

Hearing- in an existentialist sense- is listening or reading objectively everything being said or written without judgement/preconceptions and mulling things over in your mind and weighing things in your heart compared to what you know or believe to be true - while reserving judgement until enough is known to be pretty clear. Not exactly cut and dry or science and... admittedly it's sometimes much harder in practice. :)

Edited by KoolHndLuke