Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

Honestly Isoku's mods need to be taken down as well. They use SKSE and SKYUI. I don't see him giving a portion of his 25% to those who worked hard on those mods. You can't charge for mods that use/ require assets from other mods. Armors & Weapons are fine but anything using SKSE and SKYUI's MCM features needs to banned from selling. If he can figure out a way to make his mods work without those mods more power to him.

A lot of the mods on Steam were stolen or uploaded without permission for the longest time. Valve wasn't exactly quick with removing those mods either. I don't see this ending well at all.

I posted this in the other thread but I don't know how many of you are reading both so I'm posting it in spoilers here.

Okay, questions.

At what point do you cease to be a modder and start to be a developer? What are the differences in the expectations of the two? Does paying for the mod mean the mod author owes it to paying consumers to put work into their mod? Is it possible to be both, and if so, what does that entail?

Consider the whittler. He sits and he whittles for a few hours a day, and in a few months has produced a pile of nifty statuettes. He does this because he likes to whittle. Well, there's a flea market in town, and he he figures, hey, I can sell some of these, make a little money, and give the people some of my hard-made work for them to enjoy.

In a lot of ways, modders are the whittler. They do this as a hobby, not as an income. It's not inherently wrong to seek a little income, provided the price is deemed fair by the public (nobody will buy the whittler's statuette if he charged $75 for a 3-inch figure of a raccoon). These things took time to make, and if the product is something others will enjoy, paying a little for that enjoyment isn't unreasonable.

But, then again, in other ways it's nothing like whittling. You don't have to worry about a wooden statuette being incompatible with a surface to display it on, but you do have to worry about mods not playing right with other mods or not working as intended in and of themselves. Does it become strictly buyer beware at that point, or is it right to expect a certain quality of service when paying for it? Could modders be motivated to work harder to ensure their product isn't crap, since crap isn't as likely to sell?

Absolute outrage. You cease to be a modder when you get paid for them. You become a developer. Donations should be an option but paid mods? Greedy.

you demand that someone would share results of his work for free because if he would dare to ask for any kind of compensation you would call him greedy?

It's disgusting how they advocate that it's a new way to "support the modders", in fact the modders will only receive a small slice of the pie. If this doesn't get rectified, you can expect them to release a FO4 with bare-minimum content plus some basic modding tools and wait for the modding community to fill/fix their half-assed game, in the mean time they will be profiting from all the hard labors of the modders.

There are already big name modders jumping on the bandwagon, won't surprise me more will follow suit, I can only presume Skyrim modding will lose its popularity soon, lets be honest here, we all have played the through the game at least a dozen times, been to almost every nook and corner of the game, at least the majority of us, are you going to pay for a mod that adds a tiny bit thing here and there? watching your character breathing out moisture? Having a cool looking horse donning some shiny armor? If you are going to pay every one of them, you will be soon splurging hundreds of $, even if the mods only cost 1 or 2 bucks a piece. I'd rather quit playing/modding the game all together.

LOL...

Bethesda should do anything to prevent mod releasing from becoming more difficult. Introducing a payment system for mods is one of the usual idiotic business ideas that were done by suits that once again proved that they know shit about how things in that area work except for what they learned in their economy classes.

Bethesdas vanilla games are so very crappy and poorly done - let's be honest. The technical shortcomings of their flawed games (which I have come to refer to as mere game frameworks) alone would be reason enough for them to support barrier-free mod releasing all the way. The only thing that makes Bethesda games worth playing is the mods. I would have touched none of their sorry releases if there were no mods or you'd have to pay for those.

Zeitgeist sucks. Squeezing money out of the most ridiculous things like making youtube videos is already "common nonsense", but "pay for mods" will first kill the modding scene and then Bethesda.

lol this is so scummy. This is going to hurt Skyrim Modding a lot.

Skyrim Modding has gotten by just fine... What this is going to "hurt a lot" is FO4 and future Bethesda games. Can you picture FO4 with steam as the only place to get mods? and at a fee?

I believe this is directly about FO4. Beth is testing the waters with Skyrim and preparing to really capitalize on modding in the future.

The Bad thing is that some people like the idea to sell there work and that is sad really sad. let talk real here i not going to pay for a mod never i download mods because i like to expand my experience for skyrim or other games. the only thing i can do to support Modders is through patronage.

because buying a mod through steam they will take almost all the money for them and the other for modders.

i hear something wear some important persons are trying to make mod illegals so that way if you add mods to your game your account will be suspended from steam, xbox and sony. that way you will not going to access to steam or other gaming structure. right now mods are not illegal but the sametime are not legal so the mods are in the middle that is why is easy for important people to try to make the mods illegals. let see where go all of this

I'm really expecting a gigantic wave of pirated steam-mods if valve really continues with this shit. Now, here are the reason why I dissaproves this system:

- Because it's sold as "a way to help our fellow modders community" and it's just a shameless money grab.

- Because it's like cancer, if you don't extirpate it, it spreads...to other games, I say.

- Because modding is a independant effort of -must of the time- a single man army. The companies should be getting a big THANK YOU and the respective credits from the modder, not money for doing literally nothing.

- Because you know (and don't try to justify) that every game DLC is kinda a legal scam this days, you don't want to have to buy every single addition for all your games in a near future.

- Because remember the MMO'S and microtrasactions, you don't want this shit here...that is what's gonna happen.

- Because FUCK YOU VALVE!

EDIT: Sorry for the horrible grammar. I'm posting this on every single thread around the internetz, bear with me.

really hope Bethesda isn't involved.

they are very much involved...

Agreed. This is why Bethesda released the Skyrim patch removing Workshop file restrictions. Bethesda supported this. It seemed weird Bethesda would release a patch for a game they had long since abandoned. Some pondered if it was in the goodness of their heart that they did this. Obviously not!

http://www.bethblog.com/

that will don't destroying the modding communauty, 99% of mods will stay free.

Steam is insignifiant, and will don't changing the "modding spirit".

But, shame on Bethesda for accepting that.

it does not augur well for TES VI :(

Shame on Bethesda for accepting that.

But it really could change. What is to stop publishers putting in their T&Cs for mod tools that all mods must be sold for profit on the workshop and that free mods are not allowed?

Shame on Bethesda for accepting that.

But it really could change. What is to stop publishers putting in their T&Cs for mod tools that all mods must be sold for profit on the workshop and that free mods are not allowed?

i'm sure that will changing nothing.

Like i said before , the best way is to creating a patreon and have donations from users.

Pay for having acces to mods, for 90% of shity work, (modders do that only for money) that will stay a bad idea and will don't working.

They try, but they will see it's useless.

If they want a professional work from modders and have money for that, that calling video games developper, not modder.

This isn't on Valve.

This decision was made somewhere between Zenimax Media, Bethesda and....some mod authors that are probably Twitter friends with some Beth devs.

Valve is just providing a framework, if Bethesda and Zenimax didn't want this, Valve wouldn't have put any effort into it at all.

So overall the people you need to really start looking at are Bethesda and Zenimax...and perhaps a few mod authors that appeared to know way more about this than anyone else long before anyone else that is anyone knew anything about it.

Might as well call this #moddergate.

I'm seeing some strange arguments coming up in defense of this, including the "some money better than no money"

I've made a mod, not that popular but still, I'd rather give it away than be exploited for pennies, which is all I would gain from putting it on steam workshop.

I don't like being taken advantage of.

I'd rather have sex with someone I love than be raped for money, thanks

Archived