Steam a bit late on their aprils fool joke

This  is a new kind of all time low ,

Steam is forgetting that it has customers not fans .

What is your take on this guys because it fucking stinks to me .

How many awesome mod projects have you seen dying before they even came out?

How many of them would came out if you would buy 1 less beer and spend that 1$ donating that modder?

0 that's how many , mods are not dlc .

The reason a mod dies is not because of the lack of money on the modders side but a lack of interest .

How many of them would came out if you would buy 1 less beer and spend that 1$ donating that modder?

You do realize that they're already released by the time they show up on the Workshop for purchase, right? Also, this is not donating, so I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make. Edited by zippy57

You do realize that they're already released by the time they show up on the Workshop for purchase, right? Also, this is not donating, so I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make.

but if you expect or even hope that you would get some profit out of something then this could work as a motivation.

and if you start modding something and see that in front of you is only hundreds of hours of work and you wont ever get any kind of reward for it... This i wouldn't call a motivation.

I was planning to publish my own mod there. But seeing that wall of hate... i suddenly started to wonder if there is any point in spending dozens of hours of my time to actually create it...

All I'll say is I'm glad I'm old enough to be out of college and onto a full-time job so I can at least throw this issue under the bus if I ever do need to spend money on something. Imagine college students (ie. generally the target audience), who are sitting on student loans. Yes, I understand they spend money on Starbucks coffee, but that's besides the point.

I will refuse to purchase any of these mods because I don't condone this. Unfortunately, when Oblivion released that $3.00 horse armor, I recall it actually doing somewhat well, so I hate to say, but this probably will take-off.

I do not see why I should buy a mod for 5 EUR or a single weapon for 99 cent - that's just absurd!

Skyrim is priced at 15 EUR and at 3.47 right now, due to the sale.

So, you want me to pay 1/3 of the ENTIRE GAME JUST SO I CAN HAVE ONE MORE FOLLOWER!?! OR JUST SO MY CHARACTER CAN FREEZE HIS BALLS OFF??

In which realtion if any does this stand?

15EUR game
5 EUR Follower?

Where does this stop? Buy this fancy new underwear you are never going to see for only 0.99 EUR! HECK! BUY IT!

Plus - as much as I know about Valve, they are going to take the lionshare. Like 75% to valve and 25% to the creator

So for 24 cent you have destroyed the modding community for a small bit! WHAT A PRICE TO PAY! HELL WHY DON'T I UPLOAD STUFF I HAVE FOUND ON THE NEXUS FOR FREE AND UPLOAD IT FOR 24 cent per download!

We already see what the update is doing to the community. The mods on the workshop will be updated, the mods on the nexus not. So if you want to play a bug-free mod, which I take as granted if I PAY FOR IT! Better get those 5 EUR ready! And even then! Even if the mod is bug free - MODS CAN CONFLICT! So I PAY 10 EUR (2 Mods for 5 Eur) and they conflict - therefore I have wasted half of the money I spent.

They don't even gurantee me that I can play the stuff I have BOUGHT!!!! WHAT IS THIS!?

Dear Valve - do you learn? We had the upset with the M4A4 Howl being stolen artwork, how are you to prove that you made the mod? Guilty until proven innocent or what? This entire system has no future, it is not failsafe - and stuff like that, if you want MONEY has to be failsafe to at least SOME degree!

Game price and Mod Price stand in no relation what so ever.
This has to fail.

I hope so.

https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop

You do realize that they're already released by the time they show up on the Workshop for purchase, right? Also, this is not donating, so I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make.

but if you expect or even hope that you would get some profit out of something then this could work as a motivation.

and if you start modding something and see that in front of you is only hundreds of hours of work and you wont ever get any kind of reward for it... This i wouldn't call a motivation.

I was planning to publish my own mod there. But seeing that wall of hate... i suddenly started to wonder if there is any point in spending dozens of hours of my time to actually create it...

You can't suddenly start charging for something that has always been free and not expect backlash. There's a right way and a wrong way to make money from modding. The wrong way is to implement a paywall. The right way is to set up a Patreon or someting similar.

Steam workshop has always, ALWAYS been a joke, so this is just another unfunny layer to it. Anybody who actually thinks they should be making a profit off of the resources and tools of a company, no matter how much custom work you put into it, is a fool. Worse, what about all the mods that require other mods to work, yet contain all the needed files to be stand alone? Should they thus be allowed to charge for something that contains the modding work of somebody else?

Welcome to the potential death of modding.