Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

It's really sad to see something like this pop up out of no where, I thought indie dev was a good combat for the Triple-A titles that have been coming out lately... Now this, which makes you wonder where the future of ANY gaming is going to go? I mean it could spiral in a weird domino effect of, "Look that dev is making money on his mods! I need to start selling mine asap!"

I mean Modding has always been a hobby, I have tried it but to no avail, but enjoyed everything I did do with it and would release work if it didn't always come out buggy. Would I charge for it? Nah, I would see it as an opportunity if I was to become popular enough to get noticed. I mean if a modder wants to make money, get good enough to have your mod in MILLIONS of users Skyrims. Like the Nexus' endorse feature, it's practically like having a portfolio of art! You can take these mods you made for a community to show off what you have learned and what you can do and how much positive feedback you gather from the community to show companies that will PAY you, that you know how to work a 3D engine, that you can design textures, or that you can create an amazing story and atmosphere that everyone loves...

The TL;DR is basically, use your free mods that you enjoyed making, and the community enjoys playing, to get you that job that will pay you to make an ORIGINAL game. Use your skills you used on that armor to make armor for a new game and get paid doing it...

Mods should be a gateway, allowing people like me with little money, the resources and community necessary to get noticed.

It's a hobby in the end, not a job.

Did they have any idea of how many mods people usually use? Those prices are insane.

I'm pretty sure an average skyrim modder has at least 30 mods or so installed... maybe even 50 or so.

My load order has 195 plugins running...  (Which isn't counting mods that don't use plugins - Replacers, textures, music, meshes...)... so god knows how many I have installed.

I hear you there, I am merging my plugins so I can add more and I'm still over 200... God if they DRM mods... My skyrim would do something like, divide by 0 or some shit...

This is simply fucking disgusting in every way imaginable. You know what's the worst part is though? Many prominent and talented modders have already followed the money and released newer, better version of their mods exclusively on the workshop (like isoku's Wet and Cold and a new version of Fishing).

Way to fucked up the entire modding community Valve, way to go. Hey, next time, maybe you can implement micro-payment for every time we open the CK

Now that's the rage out of the way, let's discuss this.

The biggest, and I mean BIGGEST flaw with this system is that mods are made mostly by non-professional and amateur artists and programmers, even some of the biggest and most popular mods. This means that most of the mods will have a high chance of breaking or not working together with other mods.

This is like if Beth released Dragonborn DLC but it would not work properly unless you play as a specific race or gender, because some of the armor meshes are not finished yet. How in the world did anyone who conceived this idea thought that this was a good thing?

Why not a bloody donation button. You can just make it right front and center if you want, but this is simply too much.

One modder shared his work with others, without hiding it behind a paywall: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65021/?If only he had paypal\donation link there at nexus. Logic works, and Valve should stop exploiting it's customers.

what are you talking about?

- you buy the mod

- you download it

- you ask for a refund because your horse don't like it

- and you upload it

you'll find all that on chinese sites soon

that one put it on nexus, that was stupid, it's already down

it was public for a short moment.

link was taken from original mod's page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429403248&searchtext=

Did they have any idea of how many mods people usually use? Those prices are insane.

I'm pretty sure an average skyrim modder has at least 30 mods or so installed... maybe even 50 or so.

Just checked my download folder for "TES5 SKYRIM".

2832 files.

Let's be generous and say that half of it are redundant updates or self-created archives, still leaves us with around 1500 actual mods (which goes along with the over 1000 endorsements i have given on Nexus).

So for a cheap average 2$ per mod i would have paid 3000$ for this?

Suddenly the 500$ for The Sims 3 with all add-ons sounds pretty cheap, doesn't it.

I think the people who believe this would be a positive development have absolutely no clue what's going on.

Guest endgameaddiction

This is simply fucking disgusting in every way imaginable. You know what's the worst part is though? Many prominent and talented modders have already followed the money and released newer, better version of their mods exclusively on the workshop (like isoku's Wet and Cold and a new version of Fishing).

Way to fucked up the entire modding community Valve, way to go. Hey, next time, maybe you can implement micro-payment for every time we open the CK

Now that's the rage out of the way, let's discuss this.

The biggest, and I mean BIGGEST flaw with this system is that mods are made mostly by non-professional and amateur artists and programmers, even some of the biggest and most popular mods. This means that most of the mods will have a high chance of breaking or not working together with other mods.

This is like if Beth released Dragonborn DLC but it would not work properly unless you play as a specific race or gender, because some of the armor meshes are not finished yet. How in the world did anyone who conceived this idea thought that this was a good thing?

Why not a bloody donation button. You can just make it right front and center if you want, but this is simply too much.

As I stated on the other topic. I bet FO4 GECK and TESVI CK will cost money. Not to mention it will probably require you to log on steam to be able to open them.  The irony!

I hear you there, I am merging my plugins so I can add more and I'm still over 200... God if they DRM mods... My skyrim would do something like, divide by 0 or some shit...

Not to gabber about piracy, but if anyone with enough talent cares enough paid mods won't work out at all. Hell, even if that doesn't happen, I decided to hop over to Reddit a bit ago to see if they had something going on about this.

The short and skinny is, modders like Elianora, Chesko, and apollo are telling this to go fuck itself, Isoku's selling out or at least appears to be, and I actually discovered something I didn't notice skimming this thread: It's a 25% cut.

So a mod on Steam Workshop has to sell for $400 for them to see a $100 profit. Even if zero piracy of any of the mods on the workshop occurs, they're already pretty screwed. The mods currently on the list I'd even recommend at all are Wet and Cold and iNeed. The former's old version is still up on the Nexus, and from what I'm reading there's not much of a difference and possibly even a DOWNGRADE to remove content from modder resources(keywords, from what I'm reading), and there's still RND and Chesko's Last Seed whenever it's done. The rest are some weapon/armor mods and a few followers. Big whoop, plenty of good ones out there for that. And Isoku isn't going to see a buck because people on the Nexus shat all over his comments section to the point a mod closed it, and are continuing to shit all over his Steam mod pages.

The only other mod I saw of interest was Animated Fishing(I never got around to looking up fishing mods yet), and when I googled that I pulled up another mod on the Nexus, Fishing in Skyrim, which seems like a better mod(need to read the page in a bit).

I don't see how this is expected to work at all.

The short and skinny is, modders like Elianora, Chesko, and apollo are telling this to go fuck itself, Isoku's selling out or at least appears to be, and I actually discovered something I didn't notice skimming this thread: It's a 25% cut.

Chesko too? But his mods are one of the paid ones on the workshop. Though his usage is more of a advance copy on the workshop, with the free version coming out later.

My argument stands about the negative being mod DRM killing modding.

Not to gabber about piracy, but if anyone with enough talent cares enough paid mods won't work out at all. Hell, even if that doesn't happen, I decided to hop over to Reddit a bit ago to see if they had something going on about this.

So a mod on Steam Workshop has to sell for $400 for them to see a $100 profit. Even if zero piracy of any of the mods on the workshop occurs, they're already pretty screwed. The mods currently on the list I'd even recommend at all are Wet and Cold and iNeed. The former's old version is still up on the Nexus, and from what I'm reading there's not much of a difference and possibly even a DOWNGRADE to remove content from modder resources(keywords, from what I'm reading), and there's still RND and Chesko's Last Seed whenever it's done. The rest are some weapon/armor mods and a few followers. Big whoop, plenty of good ones out there for that. And Isoku isn't going to see a buck because people on the Nexus shat all over his comments section to the point a mod closed it, and are continuing to shit all over his Steam mod pages.

The only other mod I saw of interest was Animated Fishing(I never got around to looking up fishing mods yet), and when I googled that I pulled up another mod on the Nexus, Fishing in Skyrim, which seems like a better mod(need to read the page in a bit).

I don't see how this is expected to work at all.

HA Hey the mod you linked in that, read the last part at the bottom of the mod page. It lines up perfectly with everything I said above, the guy was making this for his fiance's B'day and she ending passing away from DVT and now he continues making it for a memorial. He's doing it because it's something he wants to do and I bet it makes him happy seeing all her characters in the game and also the fact that everyone who DLs it gets to enjoy a little part of what they shared. I think I know what fishing mod I'll be DLing, been wanting a good mod to add along side hearthfire and all the hunting and cooking mods.

Chesko too? But his mods are one of the paid ones on the workshop. Though his usage is more of a advance copy on the workshop, with the free version coming out later.

My argument stands about the negative being mod DRM killing modding.

Recently I've been semi-active in reading up on Skyrim mods on Reddit because some of the threads made there are really explanatory of good mod setups/recommendations, and I happen to be working on a general recommendations guide for Skyrim mods as a hobby(I don't actually mod, but I like putting together collections of things like this as a hobby. Think of it as enjoying the hell out of file organization and management.).

From what I can glean with a ctrl+f search on some related terms, Frostfall, Campfire, and Last Seed will presumably be permanently free. Admittedly, did not see Chesko's name at first until you said that and I double checked. But apparently he's not completely out to monetize from this.

Quick edit: According to posts I found by apollo, the entire Awake mod team hates this, and Trainwiz's stance is the usual since he doesn't accept money.

ANOTHER EDIT: Okay so I found better info on this:

The affected mods include

• all three of Laast's mods (current status: Available through the nexus as individual downloads, available as nearly identical, merged files, from workshop),

• Isoku's iNeed and Wet and Cold (Some features cut, some improved speed + features, the improved speed + features should be hitting the nexus soon),

• Chesko's Arissa and Animated Fishing (The Arissa update will hit the nexus in 30 days and Animated fishing in 90 days; you can see Chesko's stance and why he decided to take the plunge here.

• Arthmoor's Castle Volkihar Rebuilt (currently only available through the workshop).

I should also stop using extremes to say things. Bit of an overstatement saying they said it could go screw itself.

Okay, I just realized something about this. If anyone were to ask you to describe this whole situation as quick as possible, go with this:

You know the Xbox Live Arcade? You remembered how shitty it was?

Well this is basically the DLC version of it.

Great idea, Valve!, great idea!

better?

"

[–]thedeathsheep 144 points

4 hours ago

Lol ripped? If you check the existing approved paid mods they already use assets from other free mods. Wet & Cold uses SKSE functions, Art of the Catch requires FNIS, and Arissa uses a ApachiiHair mesh. So either they hope they get permission, or they strip out these assets and replace with their own stuff. In fact isoku already removed a ton of custom stuff from Wet & Cold and replaced it with his own, not as good, models. So already we have a microschism where paid mods can't or are afraid to use free resources to make their stuff better, and are forced to recreate everything on their own instead of using existing resources.

Worse, how is Valve ever gonna even be able to monitor this. If some modder uses a mesh or texture he grabbed from another mod, how would Valve even know? This is a system that requires content creators to monitor the workshop themselves in order to make sure their stuff, stuff they put out for free, aren't being stolen. Faced with that, why would anyone even bother."

i think option b will be more common

you delete that stuff from other mods from your mod, you put them as master, and you add them to the required files in the description

let's not forgot that mod that will show a really nice armor, and when dumbass buy it, it's not that armor

and some will upload mods made by other too

the big winner will be steam, even if that system just can't work

before buying a game, you can look for video of it, review, demo...

you can't do that for mods, many mods you download are deleted after testing

so the one that start buying, will stop, it's a matter of time

uploader get nothing until he sold for 100$, and he only get 25%, so he have to sell 400$

until then, he is just selling for steam

and many will probably get ban before that for uploading stuff that aren't their

and the one that saw his mods getting sold by someone else, might stop uploading, and delete all his mods, so the other one don't make $ with his mods

better?

"

[–]thedeathsheep 144 points

4 hours ago

Lol ripped? If you check the existing approved paid mods they already use assets from other free mods. Wet & Cold uses SKSE functions, Art of the Catch requires FNIS, and Arissa uses a ApachiiHair mesh. So either they hope they get permission, or they strip out these assets and replace with their own stuff. In fact isoku already removed a ton of custom stuff from Wet & Cold and replaced it with his own, not as good, models. So already we have a microschism where paid mods can't or are afraid to use free resources to make their stuff better, and are forced to recreate everything on their own instead of using existing resources.

Worse, how is Valve ever gonna even be able to monitor this. If some modder uses a mesh or texture he grabbed from another mod, how would Valve even know? This is a system that requires content creators to monitor the workshop themselves in order to make sure their stuff, stuff they put out for free, aren't being stolen. Faced with that, why would anyone even bother."

i think option b will be more common

you delete that stuff from other mods from your mod, you put them as master, and you add them to the required files in the description

let's not forgot that mod that will show a really nice armor, and when dumbass buy it, it's not that armor

and some will upload mods made by other too

the big winner will be steam, even if that system just can't work

before buying a game, you can look for video of it, review, demo...

you can't do that for mods, many mods you download are deleted after testing

so the one that start buying, will stop, it's a matter of time

uploader get nothing until he sold for 100$, and he only get 25%, so he have to sell 400$

until then, he is just selling for steam

and many will probably get ban before that for uploading stuff that aren't their

and the one that saw his mods getting sold by someone else, might stop uploading, and delete all his mods, so the other one don't make $ with his mods

I think you nailed it. The power of mods is how they are open and shared. Modding resources are used as foundations and mods build off each other. It's the same concept as open source.

But once you try to monetize it, usage rights get restricted and resources can't be re-used. That goes against the whole nature of what makes modding and open source coding successful.

I wonder where the SKSE team stands on this. If they take a firm stance and do not allow mod authors to use SKSE in paid mods, I imagine that would be pretty big.

This has the potential to be a mess of epic proportions. How will they handle permissions? Ripped content? People lifting mods to get a quick buck from other places claiming them as their own? Workshop already has a reputation for being a mod thief's haven.

They're recommending people use the DCMA takedown system. 

Which means they intend to solve a can of worms by opening a whole freight train full of poisonous worms.

If this isn't reversed ASAP, I'll be donning my pirate costume for the next few Bethesda releases. This is ludicrous, it's going to foster the same sort of shitty community Sims suffers, and has the potential to kill the modding scene at large. Small, dedicated pockets will certainly continue to thrive and undoubtedly churn out good stuff, but the amount will suffer.

The only reasonable avenue for paid mods that I can think of is something like Enderal, Shadow of Morrowind, or Beyond Skyrim - things with teams that are doing a great deal of technical work, even up to studio access for VO and music scoring. These things cost money, and at least in the case of Enderal, we know they can do quality work and deserve some sort of kickback. But these are exceptions, not the rule.

Alright guys I think I want in on steams new feature. I'm gonna make Nazeem aggressive towards the player, and invulnerable. I should also make him him speak a lot more and follows your character. How much should I charge?

Go low. 2-3 dollars.

Seems like Fore has done something to at least delay this madness - after his intervention due to FNIS usage, Chesko's fishing mod got taken down from the workshop and thus Valve's entire "mod collection".

The backlash has been so intense it almost seems detrimental for authors in the long run.  People have already un-endorsed and outcast authors like Isoku and Laast.  People have even pledged to stop using mods from Chesko, even after he posted a letter to the community about his reasoning and how he will use the system and honestly, his idea of handling this with delayed releases isn't terrible, but after this whole debacle people will just pirate his stuff out of spite for what happened.   

The funny part is that those authors that took the deal are now ostracized by the people that they made the mods for in the first place. 

Seems like Fore has done something to at least delay this madness - after his intervention due to FNIS usage, Chesko's fishing mod got taken down from the workshop and thus Valve's entire "mod collection".

Pictured: Fore after single-handedly taking down Valve's mod package

DDh8Uo9.jpg

Archived