Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

It seems steam might have rights to the content sold, so re-uploading a free version elsewhere may be just as risky. Like I said, anytime soon, if not, ever.

They have a non-exclusive right to it.

Judging on how poorly of a call they made about asking for Fore's permission. The information is not trusting. I'm not Chesko so I can't provide a definitive answer, I'm just saying what I think based on evidence provided.

Nothing can really be done about it, if a modder want to sell their mode they totally have the right to do so..

but at the same time, this will allow modders that don't want to charge for their mods to gain tons of money via donations, they might even gain more than a modder that's selling his mode in steam, because now there's a more reason to do so, nexus is already working on this...

plus, modders only gaining 25% out of this is ripoff, 50% would've been better...

Selling mods is illegal and has caused a bunch of fiascos on various mod sites. A good example is The Unofficial Gold Patch for Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. The only exception is if the publisher or developer allows it (ie. Bethesda with Skyrim mods).

Hey, did Chesko have any plan on hosting his fishing mod? Or did he delete out because of the backlash?

It is incomplete.

At this point i am not sure if either Chesko or me have any interest in completing this mod.

I'm supposed to deliver something to ppl that spend last 24 hours insulting me for god knows what reason? Ya, sure...

The mod author removed the finishing mod on his own will and not due to Fore having any legal standing on it, i wouldn't be so sure about it considering FNIS piggyback on libraries that belong to Havok/Autodesk and BSD licensed code from the hkxcmd project.

I am not convinced that it gives him the right to restrict the commercial/non commercial status of the hkx files, which, again is a proprietary format from havok/autodesk.

All this makes me really sad, seeing the modding community i love torn apart. Doomed to become a greed-based abomination for future games.

I really hope Bethesda is gonna recognise that this will hurt them much more than it helps them.

I'm really glad that LL won't be affected, else i would quit playing a game i had +1200 hours of fun with.

Hey, did Chesko have any plan on hosting his fishing mod? Or did he delete out because of the backlash?

It is incomplete.

At this point i am not sure if either Chesko or me have any interest in completing this mod.

I'm supposed to deliver something to ppl that spend last 24 hours insulting me for god knows what reason? Ya, sure...

Huh, I actually want to buy it. LOL

But I do share your feelings, those stupid redditters are fucking retarded. Some of them thumb me down for no reason. Most people are stupid and vile.

So it seems all those money grabbing video youtubers agree and its normal paying for mods lol.

Let's see i buy a game for 50 bucks then at launch day developer release DLC content for x $$$ and when i want to mod my game like it did with skyrim that will maybe cost me another 500 bucks at least( installed 253 mods but used maybe 1000+) are they fucking crazy stupid or what.

I will NEVER and i say NEVER  buy/pay GAME+DLC+EXPANSION+MODS HELL NO.

I see mods on steam that are fucking terible asking 1 dollar for it wtf.

Fuck the pay walls fuck bethesda fuck Valve and steam.

This don't mean modders don't deserve some donation for there mod im all for that, but it should volentary not forced which is this steam deal forced. If i deside not to buy any mods then i prolly have to play vanilla ALWAYS good move bethesda you killed modded game for me. Money grabbing bastards.

BLACK DAY for gaming :(

Where did you get the info that all youtubers that connected to skyrim modding agree to this?

As far as we've seen MxR is against the system currently implemented, Gopher is trying to be optimistic and i understand why, Brodual is also against the current system and how its implemented and TB also said that it is implemented and executed badly on steam...

Now don't get me wrong they all are for modders to get paid for their work but the way that this is going down right now is badly implemented.

I think most of us here agree on the reasoning that modders should be paid for their hard work, and that a steady income will improve quality, but not in the current way.

Also not all mods should be behind a paywall in my honest opinion, things like updates, weapons and armor, textures and game mechanics in my opinion should not belong there, for example SkyUI, why would i pay for a normal playable AI, isnt it Bethesda's job to provide me a full functioning UI and not that crappy shit that was built for consoles?

Yes, mod authors deserve some kind of compensation if they so desire, of course. However, they are not entitled to compensation. They spend countless hours working on their content and providing support for their mods. On top of countless hours spent on learning CK or any other tool in order to be able to develop their mods. Some are happy giving to the community and they ask nothing in return, some are not. Some are comparing modding with other hobbies, except it's different. If yo make a painting and decide to sell it the customer doesn't have to worry about painting breaking his wall, and you used material you had to pay, so you can put a price on your product. Modding is different simply because it is...

But what about mod users? The way I see it it's a 2 way street. We, the users, provide mod authors with feedback, make suggestions, even provide support and try to help others to solve the problems they have with mods. We are endorsing mods, and those in position to donate do so. I know, some will say "we have nothing to show for from endorsements". But what about the author of Falskaar? He didn't get a job because Bethesda or Valve or anyone else helped him, it was because of community... We also spend time learning great deal of things. Personally, to be able to use mods I had to put a lot of effort in learning and understanding how mods work, to the point where I'm able to successfully tweak mods exactly to my liking.

It is a long way from 1 click installation of Skyrim and DLCs. No knowledge and skill required there. No incompatibilities. We paid for the game and DLCs, it was mandatory. Bethesda made a lot of money already, and so did Steam. We should help mod authors if and when we are in position to do so, but I refuse to be charged for mods as though I'm buying DLCs, and more importantly I refuse to give my money to Bethesda and Steam for zero effort and work.

It is incomplete.

I can understand being annoyed at the abuse that was over the top and not wanting to release the mod.

But don't say god knows what reason. You know perfectly well why people are annoyed.

It is incomplete.

Yo, can you still post the incomplete version? LOL

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with modders wanting to go into an agreement with game developers to monetize their mood. The only reason mods have not been on sale previously was because of the contentious issue of using assets owned by others (which has changed with the new steam agreement barring custom assets made from users). It would be great if mod developers keep open the option of having their mods for free but if they do so that is just a privilage that we should be grateful for instead of considering it as a right.

Defintiely the steam business model is extremely flawed as they are levarging their position as the middle man to earn more than they deserved from the shared contribution of modders and game developers, this is even after considering the front page advertisments and marketing they might provide to mod developers.

However, to assume that mods should be free based on the reasoning that mods have been free for the last 15 years is circular reasoning. To believe that you should only be paid for your work after going to a university and getting a degree irregardless of whether the product is good or bad has no rational cause. 

Please explain how monetizing a mod project would disincentivse the mod author from making a better product? Or reduce the innovation of the modding community as a whole? (I am actually really interested in trying to see the other side's point of view in a objective and rational manner and this is not meant to be sacarstic)

Be careful, where this thread is headed someone might want to label you as a traitor for having a cool head.

I think the main argument against having any paywall at all is that modders will become competitive and distrusting others instead of the cooperative communal act it is now.  Money will poison anything it touches, basically. 

Based on what happened so far the poison well camp is not wrong but I fear the very ugly entitlement backlash against authors looking to sell their works is not healthy either.

Personally I think Valve/Bethesda can avoid a lot of the nastiness by allowing users to set the price for all for sale mods with the starting price point at 0.  They also need to add a mechanism for rights dispute and keep payments in escrow for all new listings during a certain clearance period.  Similar to what Nexus is rolling out now with their new donation system.  I bet Nexus has this for a while and didn't roll out due to fear of backlash but situation has obviously changed.   

It is incomplete.

I can understand being annoyed at the abuse that was over the top and not wanting to release the mod.

But don't say god knows what reason. You know perfectly well why people are annoyed.

Yeah, but the problem is that none of them made any contribution to the modding community. The idiots who do that are stupid leeches who can't even afford to spend 5$.

All this makes me really sad, seeing the modding community i love torn apart. Doomed to become a greed-based abomination for future games.

I really hope Bethesda is gonna recognise that this will hurt them much more than it helps them.

I'm really glad that LL won't be affected, else i would quit playing a game i had +1200 hours of fun with.

lol teeny bit melodramatic don't you think?

Think quite a few peeps in the thread need to go take a chill pill

Funny thing is that he intended to make it available for free after 3 months. So seriously what's the big deal? Now, because of those brainless tards the mod may never see the light of day. Man, I am really pissed right now. It was the only mod that was missing to make the game superior to the Witcher 3. I would have not minded at all if the Witcher 3 had fishing in it, but it doesn't.

Yeah, but the problem is that none of them made any contribution to the modding community. The idiots who do that are stupid leeches who can't even afford to spend 5$.

That is completely irrelevant. As potential mod users or potential future customers there opinion matters. Whether their opinion matters or not is a different topic. 

You don't need to be part of a profession to have criticisms against it.

Potential mod users, potential customers? They want to use it for free. LOL

You have a twisted logic. It's like a fat moron who does nothing but play videogames all day long saying those American soldiers fight to earn cash, what a bunch of greedy bastard.

That is completely irrelevant. As potential mod users or potential future customers there opinion matters. Whether their opinion matters or not is a different topic. 

You don't need to be part of a profession to have criticisms against it.

umm go check rule 1 on the site rules

And you want to pay to use them, who's the idiot here?

I want to pay so that they may make more mods in the future. That's why. That's my way of contributing, because I can't MAKE A MOD! Why do people think people should be 100% altruistic when they're not? Did you ever give donations to those modders? I bet you didn't. Some people have no shame.

I want to pay so that they may make more mods in the future. That's why. That's my way of contributing, because I can't MAKE A MOD! Why do people think people should be 100% altruistic when they're not? Did you ever give donations to those modders? I bet you didn't. Some people have no shame.

i sent you a pm if you are looking for that fishing mod. confirm it for yourself, i'm out.

Funny thing is that he intended to make it available for free after 3 months. So seriously what's the big deal? Now, because of those brainless tards the mod may never see the light of day. Man, I am really pissed right now. It was the only mod that was missing to make the game superior to the Witcher 3. I would have not minded at all if the Witcher 3 had fishing in it, but it doesn't.

Yeah at least CDProjektRed is not like shitty salty Bethesda, and aren't you feeling entiteled for donating to mod authors, what it makes you better than those who dont fuckwit?

I use them because they are offered free of charge, you fucktard. I'm under no obligation to pay for a mod or donate to its author as I don't demand anything from anyone.

Archived