Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

None of the Adult mods are going to be there anyways so it may not affect LL mods much I hope ............. Can agree with a donate button though or the variable price thing but then again some of the prices are outrageous lol       5 USD for a Follower Mod :s 

Certainly can do good for people who could not doing well financially or could use the extra cash for upgrades etc (May sound like an ass ) but some people could benefit out of this, I know I could too cause I'm poor as fuck and struggling RL for quite a while now.

But on whole its bad Idea it wont kill modding but it would kinda be a bit  fucked up , but adult mods are safe I guess. 

None of the Adult mods are going to be there anyways so it may not affect LL mods much I hope ............. Can agree with a donate button though or the variable price thing but then again some of the prices are outrageous lol       5 USD for a Follower Mod :s

Certainly can do good for people who could not doing well financially or could use the extra cash for upgrades etc (May sound like an ass ) but some people could benefit out of this, I know I could too cause I'm poor as fuck and struggling RL for quite a while now.

But on whole its bad Idea it wont kill modding but it would kinda be a bit  fucked up , but adult mods are safe I guess. 

My worry more lies along the lies of dependencies for the adult mods that could exist in the SW paid-for ecology, which would then start gating access to the adult community and basically cause things to start death spiralling.

I guess it was inevitable that Beth would want to start reaping their share of that sweet, sweet workshop cash, but goddamn.

My worry more lies along the lies of dependencies for the adult mods that could exist in the SW paid-for ecology, which would then start gating access to the adult community and basically cause things to start death spiralling.

I guess it was inevitable that Beth would want to start reaping their share of that sweet, sweet workshop cash, but goddamn.

Yes , but I think LL can combat by not using or using/creating options that can avoid the paid mods I have faith in the very talented modders here 

Planned mid March to do an Aprils Fool with "XPMSE2 for 0.49€ as Steam exclusive", good thing I didn't do it, Sadly if I watch the prices I would have to go with 5 bucks that it would have sound real.^^

you'll find all that on chinese sites soon

Yeah already doiing mod watch^^

I'm glad to see it's not just the sane people here that are pissed off about this, but Steam users and even the Nexus-goers, too. Because, seriously? This is probably THE STUPIDEST thing anyone could have possibly done. And, like others, I'm really annoyed to see that even some [formerly] respected modders like isoku decided to jump in on this - I've been using Wet and Cold probably since it first came out, but now, if I want to get the latest version, I have to pay for it? (Oh, and you -do- have to pay for it: it's marked as "pay what you want" so you can lower the price from the default $5 USD...but the lowest is still $1 USD.) Not only am I strongly opposed to being asked to pay for mods, this also means modding in general is going to become a complete mess - I've always deliberately avoided the Steam Workshop before because, so far as I understand, it tries to do all the work of setting the mods up for you. Which sounds nice in theory, but with a game as complex as Skyrim, where utilities like Mod Organizer and LOOT are practically considered essential, trying to let the Workshop do everything might very well result in it just breaking everything.

TL/DR: If they'd added an option to offer donations, I would've said good on them; yay for Steam supporting modders, and helping us support them. But making it possible to charge for mods? Fuck off. There are some modders who's work is good enough to be worth money, sure, but if they try to lock MODS behind paywalls, I WILL pirate those purely out of spite.

Modders are getting 25% of the sales lol :s  rest goto to Bethesda and Valve I suppose

This is what upsets me. Honestly, if my money went fully to supporting the modder, I wouldn't really mind. I mean I have mods that are way better than the dlc Bethesda gave us. But sadly, that's not the case. This is Valve and Bethesda realizing that modding has the potential of giving them dlc like revenue, without them having to even put the effort to it. 

Yeah not on board at all with this.

The problem I see is, with such mods as Wet and Cold, some of those profits should be going to the SKSE team as well. Seeing as it is a requirement and does most of the work. Yet these modders can't even see past their own greed for that.

Either way, it is ridiculous the greed these people have. I've done my fair share of modding, but I would never think of charging people for my mods. I understand donations, but to lock your mods behind a paywall is not a donation. It's just retarded.

I honestly knew there were people like this, but when you see some of the more popular modders doing it, it is really rather pathetic.

Yeah not on board at all with this.

The problem I see is, with such mods as Wet and Cold, some of those profits should be going to the SKSE team as well. Seeing as it is a requirement and does most of the work. Yet these modders can't even see past their own greed for that.

Either way, it is ridiculous the greed these people have. I've done my fair share of modding, but I would never think of charging people for my mods. I understand donations, but to lock your mods behind a paywall is not a donation. It's just retarded.

I honestly knew there were people like this, but when you see some of the more popular modders doing it, it is really rather pathetic.

This is a good point. I hope the SKSE team breaks support for paid mods that uses it... because I doubt modders will give them a share of the money they'll make.

Yes , but I think LL can combat by not using or using/creating options that can avoid the paid mods I have faith in the very talented modders here 

I am sure that I would never set a dependency on anything behind a paywall, but apparently people are starting to move even existing mods behind the paywall, so there is no guarantee that one day we won't wake up to one of our dependencies being a paid mod. Thankfully most of what we do only relies on stuff also hosted here, but there are plenty of LL mods having external dependencies. Death Alternative, Life Another Life, various hair and armor packs. You name it. I guess in the future we will have to be extra careful about what we build upon.

In general, I'd just wish they had set up a "pay whatever you think it's worth" system instead of a hard paywall. We all know that donations aren't going to work (nobody ever donates for stuff they already have, it's just one of the basic truths of the internet), so a little nudge of the "You know...the person who made this mod has sunk hundreds of hours into it, don't you think s/he deserves a little reward?" kind before downloading would be ok. Allowing the user to set the price would solve a lot of issues the idea currently has, namely many of us using each others' resources.

I am sure that I would never set a dependency on anything behind a paywall, but apparently people are starting to move even existing mods behind the paywall, so there is no guarantee that one day we will wake up to one of our dependencies being a paid mod. Thankfully most of what we do only relies on stuff also hosted here, but there are plenty of LL mods having external dependencies. Death Alternative, Life Another Life, various hair and armor packs. You name it. I guess in the future we will have to be extra careful about what we build upon.

In general, I'd just wish they had set up a "pay whatever you think it's worth" system instead of a hard paywall. We all know that donations aren't going to work (nobody ever donates for stuff they already have, it's just one of the basic truths of the internet), so a little nudge of the "You know...the person who made this mod has sunk hundreds of hours into it, don't you think s/he deserves a little reward?" kind before downloading would be ok. Allowing the user to set the price would solve a lot of issues the idea currently has, namely many of us using each others' resources.

Outside of Wet and Cold, what other mods are being moved behind the paywall?

Outside of Wet and Cold, what other mods are being moved behind the paywall?

It's a matter of time, I suppose. The precedence is there, others are likely to follow. No, I don't have a crystal ball, but I would be surprised not to see it more frequently down the road.

Q: Wet and Cold uses SKSE right?

Isn't SKSE under GNU?

So wouldn't Wet and Cold, being derivative off SKSE be illegal if sold?

My reasoning is that the WHOLE reason you need to use SKSE, is because it adds script functions that the game doesn't actually have itself. It runs these functions outside the engine and basically injects them. So if a mod like Wet and Cold require SKSE, then its using these functions, and thus are added to that mod itself. Yet these functions would be classified under GNU.

99% of all mods out there now are derivative in some way to other user generated content. I don't see how anyone could put anything up unless its a model/skin re-placer that is made 100% from scratch, and is low quality enough to not require any engine enhancements to cause the game to immediately CTD.

Archived