On 1/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, hellodarliing said:

I have LE so am using TES5Edit, not SSEdit.  Judging by screenshots they are nearly, but definitely not entirely, the same.

Actually, TES5Edit.exe and SSEEdit.exe are one and the same program (collectively referred to as xEdit), the only difference being the name of the executable and installation path. According to the documentation, xEdit works for all or most Bethesda games, including Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Skyrim SE. It can be downloaded once as xEdit, and then copy > pasted into the games' folder systems you wish to use it for, renamed "TES5Edit" and "SSEEdit" (etc.) to match that particular game.

In other words, it "knows who it is by what you call it and where it lives." :classic_tongue: So, you can copy SSEEdit.exe from your SSE installation and paste it into your Oldrim game path (Data\TES5Edit\) as TES5Edit.exe and party on.

TL; DR: Whatever differences you see in various screenshots between SSEEdit and TES5Edit are undoubtedly due to xEdit version mismatches or user UI customizations.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Hacker432 said:

It's an interesting mod but most of the sounds are a bit off thus breaking the immersion

Yes, the sound seems to occur about a tenth of a step before the heel hits the ground... but wait! If you combine the slight earliness of the sound/footfall with the telltale delay in switching sounds when transitioning from (for example) wood to stone, I believe the real timing error is: approximately 9/10 of a step BEHIND compared to when it should occur based on the walking visuals.

I have asked before (in this forum) how to adjust the timing of the footfall sound, but apparently, nobody knows... and Google searches do not reveal anything useful.

8 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

Yes, the sound seems to occur about a tenth of a step before the heel hits the ground... but wait! If you combine the slight earliness of the sound/footfall with the telltale delay in switching sounds when transitioning from (for example) wood to stone, I believe the real timing error is: approximately 9/10 of a step BEHIND compared to when it should occur based on the walking visuals.

I have asked before (in this forum) how to adjust the timing of the footfall sound, but apparently, nobody knows... and Google searches do not reveal anything useful.

I didn't notice it. What I was referring to it's not the timing but the sound. Some of the sound are too loud and seem to have like echo.
For example, hear the carpet audio files, not bad right? Now hear the dirt or stonesolid ones. They are not in armony with the game sounds

Don't get me wrong... I can't write mods, nor do I want to, but if I want to learn how to use something I don't give up. That said;

How difficult would it be, technically, for this process to be a bit more automated? Is it necessary for this mod to stay as intimidating and tedious to use, by requiring users to have to TESEdit each of their heels? If it could somehow go and do its thing on what a user aims it at, that'd be impressive and practical. If it went beyond that, for example if it was able to recognize in game when someone's wearing heels... More impressive. Take it even further, give it an MCM to configure sound intensity, timing ETC. I'd easily give up an LO slot(If this has no ESP already) for such a thing.

Well maybe I sound negative but I'm just offering some honest feed back. The mod obviously appeals to me and it's good that it exists or I wouldn't be here and I wouldn't be bringing up what could be improved.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:45 AM, Violence6884 said:

Is it necessary for [...] users to have to TESEdit each of their heels?

The answer to your first question (above) is yes. What you are describing is just how Skyrim works. I have never seen a mod that just automatically attaches itself to every pair of high heels in our games, all of which are mod-added since Bethesda didn't build any high heels into Skyrim. The first issue in something automatic like you described is that there is no existing Keyword (KWDA) for high heels, whether they are boots or pumps. So the game (and any mods dependent on the game, which is approximately 100.0% of them) has no way of "knowing" which footwear should have the Heels Sound AngelStep set.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:45 AM, Violence6884 said:

If it could somehow go and do its thing on what a user aims it at, that'd be impressive and practical. If it went beyond that, for example if it was able to recognize in game when someone's wearing heels... More impressive.

You're right, doing something impossible like that would certainly be beyond impressive. :classic_biggrin: However, even if it were possible, the mod's author hasn't updated/fixed it since he released the current version of it years ago, so I don't think it's likely that he would revive his interest in it and make any enhancements/bug fixes at this late date. There are a couple of errors in it which have been fixed by users and linked in this thread, but other than that, the mod is moribund. WYSIWYG.

2 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

The answer to your first question (above) is yes. What you are describing is just how Skyrim works. I have never seen a mod that just automatically attaches itself to every pair of high heels in our games, all of which are mod-added since Bethesda didn't build any high heels into Skyrim. The first issue in something automatic like you described is that there is no existing Keyword (KWDA) for high heels, whether they are boots or pumps. So the game (and any mods dependent on the game, which is approximately 100.0% of them) has no way of "knowing" which footwear should have the Heels Sound AngelStep set.

You're right, doing something impossible like that would certainly be beyond impressive. :classic_biggrin: However, even if it were possible, the mod's author hasn't updated/fixed it since he released the current version of it years ago, so I don't think it's likely that he would revive his interest in it and make any enhancements/bug fixes at this late date. There are a couple of errors in it which have been fixed by users and linked in this thread, but other than that, the mod is moribund. WYSIWYG.

Thanks for the insight ^_^

21 hours ago, Hybridimyx said:

Sorry im in need of some assistance, I First got directed here from Nexus mods, and Im not familiar with the TES5Edit application, or even how to install it

Just to make your future modding life a little easier, you can save yourself a lot of trouble (and wasted time waiting on responses) by simply reading the Description of any mod you want to use.

TES5Edit is the Skyrim LE ("Oldrim") version of xEdit. It is not a "mod," but instead is a utility, and can therefore be installed wherever you like on your machine. Mine is on a different drive than my Games SSD because it doesn't need SSD speed at all. xEdit "knows what game it's for" by what you name it, so if you rename it "TES5Edit" it "knows" it's for Oldrim, and if you rename it "SSEEdit" it "knows" it's for SSE. All you have to do after that is make sure it finds your game installation and "tell" it where to look if it doesn't.

Here's the Heels Sounds author's instructions from the first page of this thread on how to add Heels Sounds to your high heels plugins:

Apokrytia's Guide to adding Heels Sounds to your high heels

Reassign the foot step set (in AA) of the high heels to "AngelFSTHeelsFootstepSet". The esp you modified will need "Heels Sound.esm" as master.
If you are using TESVEdit, you have to right click the esp to add "Heels Sound.esm" as master, first.

For newbie:

1. Open TESVEdit, right click and select none.
  2. Check Heels Sound.esm and the esp you want to modify.
  3. Right click the esp and select Add Masters.
  4. Check Heels Sound.esm and click OK.
  5. Expand Heels Sound.esm and expand Footstep Set.
  6. Copy FormID of AngelFSTHeelsFootstepSet.
  7. Now expand Armor Addon branch of esp.
  8. Select the high heels you want to modify. You can see the reference tab at bottom for help. Browse to SNDD – Footstep Sound.
  9. Paste the FormID to this column.
  10. Repeat again with every heels.
  11. Close TESVEdit and click OK with esp checked.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:56 PM, Vyxenne said:

Thank you for replying but yes thats exactly it these instructions dont make sence. I have the rar File but theirs No instructions on where to extract it.

Just to make your future modding life a little easier, you can save yourself a lot of trouble (and wasted time waiting on responses) by simply reading the Description of any mod you want to use.

TES5Edit is the Skyrim LE ("Oldrim") version of xEdit. It is not a "mod," but instead is a utility, and can therefore be installed wherever you like on your machine. Mine is on a different drive than my Games SSD because it doesn't need SSD speed at all. xEdit "knows what game it's for" by what you name it, so if you rename it "TES5Edit" it "knows" it's for Oldrim, and if you rename it "SSEEdit" it "knows" it's for SSE. All you have to do after that is make sure it finds your game installation and "tell" it where to look if it doesn't.

Here's the Heels Sounds author's instructions from the first page of this thread on how to add Heels Sounds to your high heels plugins:

Apokrytia's Guide to adding Heels Sounds to your high heels

Reassign the foot step set (in AA) of the high heels to "AngelFSTHeelsFootstepSet". The esp you modified will need "Heels Sound.esm" as master.
If you are using TESVEdit, you have to right click the esp to add "Heels Sound.esm" as master, first.

For newbie:

1. Open TESVEdit, right click and select none.
  2. Check Heels Sound.esm and the esp you want to modify.
  3. Right click the esp and select Add Masters.
  4. Check Heels Sound.esm and click OK.
  5. Expand Heels Sound.esm and expand Footstep Set.
  6. Copy FormID of AngelFSTHeelsFootstepSet.
  7. Now expand Armor Addon branch of esp.
  8. Select the high heels you want to modify. You can see the reference tab at bottom for help. Browse to SNDD – Footstep Sound.
  9. Paste the FormID to this column.
  10. Repeat again with every heels.
  11. Close TESVEdit and click OK with esp checked.

• 1 month later...

Just a little FYI to save anyone the trouble should this "issue" pop up.

I just spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out why my NPCs heel sounds were not working.  Its working on my female player, no issues there, but my NPCs were dead silent.  So, after a reinstall, manual installation, following the instructions to the letter, I was just about my wits end.  While thinking of what to do next, I was just thinking the game music was a tad too loud, so I wanted to lower the volume of it.  So, off to system -> audio settings.

In it, NPC footsteps is listed...

...and that setting was set to zero.  Now my NPCs have heel sounds.

I'm going to go take a walk, but just FYI for anyone else having NPC issues.

• 1 month later...

I've been having issues with heels sound with multiple armour mods so I assume it heels sound might be the root cause. When walking there is a nice click sound on hard surfaces like stone or wood, but when sprinting it always reverts to vanilla sounds regardless of surface. Does anyone have any insight on how to fix this or is this just the way it's supposed to be? Again, walking either slow or fast works, it's after pressing Alt/L1 that the sound reverts to vanilla.

After installing this mod, Skyrim says that ''a new menu was added to the MCM menu'', but there is nothing there and there is no sound of heels, although using mods that require this mod, does not cause problems or CTD, only there is no sound or MCM menu.

Please help a girl. 

Heels Sound does not have an MCM. Ergo, your notice that a new menu had been added came from a different mod.

Here's what you can expect when you get it working on your heels:

And since you are having difficulty getting the sounds, here's how to set it up:

You must reassign the Plugin-designated Footstep Sound (SNDD) in the Armor Addon of each pair of high heels.

1. Launch SSEEdit
  2. Right-click anywhere in the list of plugins in the left pane, and select "Select None"
  3. Tick the little box next to Heels Sound.esm in the list of plugins in the left pane
  4. Tick the little box next to your high-heels mod's plugin in the list of plugins in the left pane
  5. Click OK to load both plugins. SSEEdit will also load Skyrim.esm and SkyrimSE.exe, and possibly one of the DLCs
  6. If this is NOT the first pair of heels in your mod's plugin that you have added the Heels Sound Footstep Set to, skip to Step 11
  7. Right-click on the name of your high-heels plugin and click "Add Masters"
  8. Tick "Heels Sound.esm" in the popup display of possible new Masters - it will probably be the only available choice
  9. Click OK to add Heels Sound.esm as a Master to your high-heels mod
  10. Click "Yes, I'm sure" when SSEEdit asks if you are sure you want to edit the plugin
  11. Expand Heels Sound.esm by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  12. Expand Footstep Set by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  13. Make a note of the FormID of the Heels Sound Footstep Set- probably 01004527 but the first 2 digits may vary in your game
  14. Contract ("close up") Heels Sound.esm by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  15. Expand your high-heels mod's plugin by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  16. Expand Armor Addon by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  17. Click on the Armor Addon of a pair of shoes in the left pane
  18. Scroll all the way down to "SNDD - Footstep Sound" at the bottom of the right pane
  19. Right-click on the name of whatever footstep sound is currently assigned and select Edit**
  20. If you skipped Steps 7-10, click "Yes, I'm sure" when SSEEdit asks if you are sure you want to edit the plugin
  21. Carefully enter the FormID of Heels Sound's Footstep Set from Step 8- probably 01004527
  22. Click OK. The name of the Footstep Sound should now be "AngelFSTHeelsFootstepSet" - if it's not, go back to Step 14
  23. Repeat Steps 12-17 for each additional pair of heels to which you want to assign the Heels Sound Footstep Sound
  24. Close SSEEdit by clicking on the red X at the top-right corner of the SSEEdit window
  25. Make sure the name of your plugin is selected for backup, and that "Backup Plugins" is ticked, then click OK

**If there is no value in the SNDD data field and the SNDD label is grayed out, do this before Step 19:

1. Right-click the blank area to the right of the grayed-out SNDD label
  2. Click "Add"
  3. Accept the warning if it pops up

You will now have a new "Null" data field, so proceed with Step 19.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 7:31 AM, Vyxenne said:

Heels Sound does not have an MCM. Ergo, your notice that a new menu had been added came from a different mod.

Here's what you can expect when you get it working on your heels:

And since you are having difficulty getting the sounds, here's how to set it up:

You must reassign the Plugin-designated Footstep Sound (SNDD) in the Armor Addon of each pair of high heels.

1. Launch SSEEdit
  2. Right-click anywhere in the list of plugins in the left pane, and select "Select None"
  3. Tick the little box next to Heels Sound.esm in the list of plugins in the left pane
  4. Tick the little box next to your high-heels mod's plugin in the list of plugins in the left pane
  5. Click OK to load both plugins. SSEEdit will also load Skyrim.esm and SkyrimSE.exe, and possibly one of the DLCs
  6. If this is NOT the first pair of heels in your mod's plugin that you have added the Heels Sound Footstep Set to, skip to Step 11
  7. Right-click on the name of your high-heels plugin and click "Add Masters"
  8. Tick "Heels Sound.esm" in the popup display of possible new Masters - it will probably be the only available choice
  9. Click OK to add Heels Sound.esm as a Master to your high-heels mod
  10. Click "Yes, I'm sure" when SSEEdit asks if you are sure you want to edit the plugin
  11. Expand Heels Sound.esm by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  12. Expand Footstep Set by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  13. Make a note of the FormID of the Heels Sound Footstep Set- probably 01004527 but the first 2 digits may vary in your game
  14. Contract ("close up") Heels Sound.esm by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  15. Expand your high-heels mod's plugin by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  16. Expand Armor Addon by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane
  17. Click on the Armor Addon of a pair of shoes in the left pane
  18. Scroll all the way down to "SNDD - Footstep Sound" at the bottom of the right pane
  19. Right-click on the name of whatever footstep sound is currently assigned and select Edit
  20. If you skipped Steps 7-10, click "Yes, I'm sure" when SSEEdit asks if you are sure you want to edit the plugin
  21. Carefully enter the FormID of Heels Sound's Footstep Set from Step 8- probably 01004527
  22. Click OK. The name of the Footstep Sound shhould now be "AngelFSTHeelsFootstepSet" - if it's not, go back to Step 14
  23. Repeat Steps 12-17 for each additional pair of heels to which you want to assign the Heels Sound Footstep Sound
  24. Close SSEEdit by clicking on the red X at the top-right corner of the SSEEdit window
  25. Make sure the name of your plugin is selected for backup, and that "Backup Plugins" is ticked, then click OK

You will now have the glorious high-heels click-clack sound wherever you go!

what if I run into the issue that a mod doesn't have the option to change it's SNDD - FootStep Sound, when it is a shoe for sure, but the option is grayed out and has nothing assigned in it's place?

7 hours ago, GalaxySeraph said:

what if I run into the issue that a mod doesn't have the option to change it's SNDD - FootStep Sound, when it is a shoe for sure, but the option is grayed out and has nothing assigned in it's place?

If there is no value in the SNDD data field and the SNDD label is grayed out, do this before Step 19:

1. Right-click the blank area to the right of the grayed-out SNDD label
  2. Click "Add"
  3. Accept the warning if it pops up

You will now have a new "Null" data field, so proceed with Step 19.

Thank you for pointing this out- I have edited my guide (above).

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 5:56 AM, Julianwebster said:

Hi, is there a way to apply to sound to original skyrim boots?Thanks

Why, yes! Yes, there is! :classic_biggrin:

Vyxenne's Guide to adding Heels Sounds to any Footwear

Overall process

You must reassign (or add) the Plugin-designated Footstep Sound (SNDD) in the Armor Addon of each pair of shoes you want to have the high heels sounds.

1. Launch SSEEdit

6. If this is NOT the first pair of heels in your mod's plugin that you have added the Heels Sound Footstep Set to, skip to Step 12

7. NOTE: If the footwear is from Skyrim.esm or one of the official DLCs (Dawnguard.esm, HearthFires.esm or Dragonborn.esm), you should not modify it directly in the game plugins. Instead, you should create a new Override plugin ("patch") with the vanilla shoes you want to add Heels Sounds to, and add Heels Sounds to those new Override records:

• Right-click and "Copy as Override Into" the item's Armor Addon (ARMA) and Armor item (ARMO) in the vanilla esm

• If you are adding your first Override shoes, select "New plugin file" accept the notice that SSEEdit is making the game esm a Master of your new plugin, and name your new patch something descriptive like "Heels Sound Patch for Vanilla Shoes"

• Enter the FormID of the new Override ARMA into the Armature field of the new Override ARMO

1. Right-click on the name of your high-heels plugin and click "Add Masters"

2. Tick "Heels Sound.esm" in the popup display of possible new Masters - it will probably be the only available choice

3. Click OK to add Heels Sound.esm as a Master to your high-heels mod

4. Click "Yes, I'm sure" when SSEEdit asks if you are sure you want to edit the plugin

5. Expand Heels Sound.esm by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane

6. Expand Footstep Set by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane

7. Make a note of the FormID of the Heels Sound Footstep Set- probably 01004527 but the first 2 digits may vary in your game

8. Contract ("close up") Heels Sound.esm by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane

9. Expand your high-heels mod's plugin by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane

10. Expand Armor Addon by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane

11. Click on the Armor Addon of a pair of shoes by clicking on the little box next to it in the left pane

12. Scroll all the way down to "SNDD - Footstep Sound" at the bottom of the right pane**

13. Right-click on the name of whatever footstep sound is currently assigned

14. Carefully enter the FormID of Heels Sound's Footstep Set from Step 8- probably 01004527

15. Click OK. The name of the Footstep Sound should now be "AngelFSTHeelsFootstepSet" - if it's not, go back to Step 14

16. Repeat Steps 7-22 for each additional pair of heels to which you want to assign the Heels Sound Footstep Sound

17. Close SSEEdit by clicking on the red X at the top-right corner of the SSEEdit window

18. Make sure the name of your plugin is selected for backup, and that "Backup Plugins" is ticked, then click OK

**If there is no data in the SNDD field and the SNDD label is grayed out, do this:

• Right-click the blank area to the right of the grayed-out SNDD label

• Click "Add"

• Accept the warning if it pops up

• You will now have a new SNDD "Null" data field, so proceed with Step 20.

Too much trouble, you say? Mais, non! Check out the glorious high-heels click-clack sound at https://youtu.be/fYe8Od9yRgw

Got a little problem with this mod: Heels sound work as expected when wearing high heels enabled shoes, but when I move to non-high heels footwear, like maybe the vanilla leather boots, or just remove footwear entirely and go barefoot, the heels sounds are still there. Is there a way to resolve this?

8 hours ago, johnmcderp said:

Got a little problem with this mod: Heels sound work as expected when wearing high heels enabled shoes, but when I move to non-high heels footwear, like maybe the vanilla leather boots, or just remove footwear entirely and go barefoot, the heels sounds are still there. Is there a way to resolve this?

There are only two requirements for a footwear item to have the Heels Sound:

• The footwear item's plugin file (esm, esp or esl) must have Heels Sound.esm dependency as a Master
  • The footwear item's Armor Addon SNDD data must be set to AngelFSTHeelsFootstepSet [FSTS:xx004527] where xx is the hex load order of Heels Sound.esm

The fact that you are hearing Heels Sounds when barefoot means that you are unknowingly wearing a footwear item with the above two requirements satisfied. This could presumably be something like an invisible equippable "Feet Armor" shape used for collisions.

To find the culprit, disable Heels Sounds.esm and then try to load all active plugins into SSEEdit- the ones that it won't load (SSEEdit grays them out and draws a Strikethrough line through their names, like this: MySlootyArmor.esp) are the ones that have Heels Sound.esm as a Master. Then simply look through the list of grayed-out, Strikethrough plugins until you see a surprise.