That kind of phone-home stuff he described is obviously unacceptable. I admit I thought it'd only be nagging about updates, kudos and the like, nothing essential. Either way, NMM's getting the axe and it remains to be seen if the new mod manager would include something similarly invasive. I don't dismiss this concern, but I won't automatically assume the worst just because it involves Nexus either. Nothing there to be "confused" about; I just don't agree with it.

That was another point I was attempting and failing to make.  There isn't a valid reason for the NMM to install more cookies than a pack of Oreos but it does.  It is invasive and any decent antivirus will flag it.  Those things weren't done out of software necessity, they are there because Dark0ne wants them there.  Knowing Dark0ne's track record IN ALL THINGS NEXUS, his NMM 2 won't be different.

I'll say this then I'm done.  Dark0ne has recruited the one person standing in the way of his mod manager monopoly.  This is the same person Dark0ne publicly blamed for a cyber-attack on Nexus (MO was responsible, not Nexus).  That assertion was disproved later.  Public opinion then was Dark0ne was trying to malign Mod Organizer.  Now he has absorbed the talent behind MO for his own purposes, removing 'the competition'.  Dark0ne's piece of the mod community pie just got bigger.  When has that ever been a good thing for anyone but Dark0ne?  Anyway, I'm done with my unwelcome dissident thoughts on this.  Do carry on.

That kind of phone-home stuff he described is obviously unacceptable. I admit I thought it'd only be nagging about updates, kudos and the like, nothing essential. Either way, NMM's getting the axe and it remains to be seen if the new mod manager would include something similarly invasive. I don't dismiss this concern, but I won't automatically assume the worst just because it involves Nexus either. Nothing there to be "confused" about; I just don't agree with it.

That was another point I was attempting and failing to make.  There isn't a valid reason for the NMM to install more cookies than a pack of Oreos but it does.  It is invasive and any decent antivirus will flag it.  Those things weren't done out of software necessity, they are there because Dark0ne wants them there.  Knowing Dark0ne's track record IN ALL THINGS NEXUS, his NMM 2 won't be different.

I'll say this then I'm done.  Dark0ne has recruited the one person standing in the way of his mod manager monopoly.  This is the same person Dark0ne publicly blamed for a cyber-attack on Nexus (MO was responsible, not Nexus).  That assertion was disproved later.  Public opinion then was Dark0ne was trying to malign Mod Organizer.  Now he has absorbed the talent behind MO for his own purposes, removing 'the competition'.  Dark0ne's piece of the mod community pie just got bigger.  When has that ever been a good thing for anyone but Dark0ne?  Anyway, I'm done with my unwelcome dissident thoughts on this.  Do carry on.

This just drives home the point that having basically the only mod manager or at least the most major one, being developed by a cooperation with its goals and plans is a bad thing. Before we had FOMM, OBMM, and MO. For the new games.. Fallout 4, Skryim SE we won't unless someone does take over MO or start development of another one. This is bad. Choices is good.

There are many here that will find Nexus Mod Manager perfect for their uses of this I am sure. But there are those that will have issues with the way it works, what it does in the background (like the phone home stuff) etc. Not having an alternative will really suck. Nexus bought the competition and with the rarity of individuals with the necessary skill set to create such programs... we will likely be SOL for a long time.

I just really hope of hope that with all this drama and trama :P that at least a very solid and dependable mod manager is created. Even if it does have the "phone home" and other crap attached to it. Currently we can't even get NMM to upgrade properly for those that use it for Fallout 4. And with Skyrim SE coming out 10/28... not a pleasant time to say the least. At least we still have the older programs for the previous games.

On one hand, maybe this guy can program an NMM that can actually do math properly.

On the other, this is the same guy who can figure out how to virtualize entire file systems on the fly but can't manage to display version numbers as entered.

Maybe with the "team" he is working with they can cover each others issues and deficiencies.

For NMM .. the current version does need to be taken out back and shot. Seriously. It is in a great need of a serious update. I doubt that code was designed to do as much as Dark One is trying to get done with it. What the results will be.. is anyone's guess. I hope he has a released plan shortly for even an Alpha testers to take and give it a spin so we can learn what is in store for us in regards to the new NMM.

• 2 weeks later...

So I use MO for old Skyrim. I want to use MO for new Skyrim. How do I set it up to do that with more than one game? I also don't want to use any new NMM. Help!

You don't.

There isn't any support for the old MO (32bit) for the game as it is 64 bit and MO2 isn't set up to run MO 2. It had a hard time working with FAllout 4 so I doubt it is even able to play or work with Skryim SE. You are stuck with NMM or manual (perhaps Wyrebash if/ when they have an update for the game)

However if you are insistent.. try the MO2 and follow what instructions you have for Fallout 4 and try for yourself. However I doubt it will work.

I'm sorry, but MO is not compatible at all with the new Skyrim. The new Skyrim is run on 64-bit, and the old one was 32-bit. Thus the whole MO2 enigma. Until 64-bit is figured out by our 1 n' only (fuck the rest) Tannin, we just hafta wait for progress on (gulp)...........NMM

8-l

(WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SAY?!)

What kind of Evangelist am I???f3cd191fa3c5ae59e4084033e99bcb16.png

Well tannin is working on NMM... He is the one that developed MO in the first place and started a revolution with the virtual install and even profiles as far as I know no other manager had that feature. NMM tried to imitate it but failed and now will be rebuilt with Tannin as the Lead developer as I understand it.

So... the reason I am mentioning this is lets not cry too much until we see what he has decided to give us in NMM. It might be the ease of use the NMM lovers well .. love with the power and extend-ability of the virutal file systems and such that all the  MO users love. If this is the case then someone could start with basic install.. move ot more advanced (virtual drives) and then advance even more.

Then again it could just as easily be the worst thing ever. Lets give him some time.

Well tannin is working on NMM... He is the one that developed MO in the first place and started a revolution with the virtual install and even profiles as far as I know no other manager had that feature. NMM tried to imitate it but failed and now will be rebuilt with Tannin as the Lead developer as I understand it.

So... the reason I am mentioning this is lets not cry too much until we see what he has decided to give us in NMM. It might be the ease of use the NMM lovers well .. love with the power and extend-ability of the virutal file systems and such that all the  MO users love. If this is the case then someone could start with basic install.. move ot more advanced (virtual drives) and then advance even more.

Then again it could just as easily be the worst thing ever. Lets give him some time.

Yeah, I know. Just gonna take a little getting used to. (wipes away a single tear)

All hail!....NMM?

...IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME!!f3cd191fa3c5ae59e4084033e99bcb16.png

Kendo! How am I supposed to feel?? Because I feel...Awful (see what I did there?) B)

Yeah, I know. Just gonna take a little getting used to. (wipes away a single tear)

All hail!....NMM?

...IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME!!f3cd191fa3c5ae59e4084033e99bcb16.png

Kendo! How am I supposed to feel?? Because I feel...Awful (see what I did there?) B)

You will have to go here.. to find out the answer to that question you post to Kendo...

He will not be here for a while.. Guess taking a break.. :P

I'm tempted to use MO as primary mod manager for Oblivion (only ever used obmm and Wrye Bash so far). Being able to switch between different profiles for different savegames and keeping the Data folder clean in the process sounds great. I just wonder: should I create a bashed patch for each profile? Looks like Wrye Bash and obmm "can be made to work on the "virtual" data tree". Could you please elaborate?

Sorry for asking the obvious, but this is all new to me.

I'm tempted to use MO as primary mod manager for Oblivion (only ever used obmm and Wrye Bash so far). Being able to switch between different profiles for different savegames and keeping the Data folder clean in the process sounds great. I just wonder: should I create a bashed patch for each profile? Looks like Wrye Bash and obmm "can be made to work on the "virtual" data tree". Could you please elaborate?

If your edition is the Steam edition I would advise you to continue using the combined mod manager system you have. MO don't work so well with Steam's Oblivion. The main issue is the script extender can't be activated (or some have had problems with it) in regards to Steam's Oblivion. Apparently some have clained that the disk version does work. Not sure not to many reports on MO and disk / non Steam version of Oblivion out there.

The closest I can figure out is the Scripts have to be ripped out of the mods you use and manually installed to work properly. There will be no overwrite or other protections. Also means no removal. If something gets screwed up you will have to install all those scripts again from each of the mod you want to use.

Disclaimer.. never really played much of Oblivion and not a all with MO only a brief time I tried to do this and experienced the above. Could get some of the thigns to work however it wasn't the "MO" way. Stick with  FAllout 3, NV and Skyrim (not the SE version) and you should be fine and have the experiences you expect from MO.

If your edition is the Steam edition I would advise you to continue using the combined mod manager system you have. MO don't work so well with Steam's Oblivion. The main issue is the script extender can't be activated (or some have had problems with it) in regards to Steam's Oblivion. Apparently some have clained that the disk version does work. Not sure not to many reports on MO and disk / non Steam version of Oblivion out there.

The closest I can figure out is the Scripts have to be ripped out of the mods you use and manually installed to work properly. There will be no overwrite or other protections. Also means no removal. If something gets screwed up you will have to install all those scripts again from each of the mod you want to use.

Disclaimer.. never really played much of Oblivion and not a all with MO only a brief time I tried to do this and experienced the above. Could get some of the thigns to work however it wasn't the "MO" way. Stick with  FAllout 3, NV and Skyrim (not the SE version) and you should be fine and have the experiences you expect from MO.

Disk edition here, so OBSE Launcher is very likely going to work. As always, nothing is certain until you actually put it to test, and in this case it's something I'm determined to try. From your kind reply, basically I can tell that BAIN wizards or OBMM scripts are to be avoided, and it's not a big deal since usually I already repackage my omods including a pre-selection of the features I want, discarding the rest.

For FCOM (Francesco-OOO-MMM) in particular this is going to be a lot more difficult, but definitely not impossible.

I won't be trying this anytime soon, mind you, but when the time comes I'll let you know how it goes.

Let us know your results.

I think if you use the program through MO it might work properly. Let the installers work using the appropriate tools.

I used to have problems with the Hud mods in Fallotu NV.. this is because it wasn't able to see the other mods. Easy I run them through FOMM to to the needed work. (through MO that is) and then installed all the mods in proper order I wanted. When done I had a nice little package to package up for a mod in MO. This approach might work for you

So if you want.. give MO a try to see if it installs correctly. If so great. If not then try using another tool like Wyre bash or ObBM and let it fall into the overwrite folder (make sure it is clean of course.. then package that up and see if it work.. If all else fails manually install it. Keep a nice zip ready to do a new fresh install and some notes on proper installation order. YOu seem to be experienced with Oblivion mods and the modding process so I have no doubt you will be able to get something going. .

I had a go with oblivion on mo and gave up on it as like you said get the script extender to work was a major pain, in the end I went back to nmm, its a pain remember which mod manager I am using and its relevant foibles, but there again I do not pay obivion much or at all recently. 

Though this guide may or may not be of help, if you are not aware of it that is http://www.loverslab.com/topic/65195-guide-to-using-mod-organizer-with-oblivion/

I had a go with oblivion on mo and gave up on it as like you said get the script extender to work was a major pain, in the end I went back to nmm, its a pain remember which mod manager I am using and its relevant foibles, but there again I do not pay obivion much or at all recently. 

Though this guide may or may not be of help, if you are not aware of it that is http://www.loverslab.com/topic/65195-guide-to-using-mod-organizer-with-oblivion/

I wasn't aware of the guide, a huge thanks for the link.

I have a fresh reinstall planned, it will be the perfect opportunity to experiment with MO.

I wasn't aware of the guide, a huge thanks for the link.

I have a fresh reinstall planned, it will be the perfect opportunity to experiment with MO.

Based on the statements above I added the link to my Sig as well. Not going to "Oblivion" any time soon :P but if I do it is easy for me to use my own links.. :)

INFO (00:04:30.0353): injecting to C:\Program Files (x86)\ModOrganizer\mods\FNIS Behavior\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\hkxcmd.exe
INFO (00:04:30.0353): using profile Default
INFO (00:04:30.0353): data path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data
DEBUG (00:04:30.0353): invalid handle: 32 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data

ERROR (00:04:30.0353): failed to determine final path: 6
DEBUG (00:04:30.0353): mods are in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ModOrganizer\mods"
INFO (00:04:30.0353): using mod "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended"
INFO (00:04:30.0353): using mod "Death Alternative - Your Money Or Your Life"
INFO (00:04:30.0353): using mod "ApachiiSkyHairFemale"
INFO (00:04:30.0353): using mod "Devious Devices Expansion"

So MO just threw that at me. It happened around the time that I tried to launch the game through MO using skse. The game did not go full screen. I tried to launch the game by the vanilla launcher, and the game went full screen immediately.

Help?

Your steam game folder appears to be in the Windows Program folder.

This has been claimed to make for some difficult things and things go wrong. It is advised to have Steam outside of the Windows Program folder.

the following isn't advised to be done more than once or maybe twice during testing... Due to the risk you will open your computer up to.

Also I am not sure if it will work for you or cause you problems. Make sure you h ave a good backup of your MO / game / saves etc.

Try starting MO as an admin then start SKSE. This might allow the SKSE to fire properly. Again not sure and it isn't advised to do this for long term. This can really open up your computer to exploits while doing so (contaminated mod etc) as normally your computer will prevent firing of scripts and such that can harm the computer. I state this only to see if everything else works for you after doing so. If so then you can copy off STeam folder. MO folder etc and then move it outside of the Programs folder.. Then uninstall all the files, games etc. Then install the Steam program.. let it start up then copy over the files you backup. Then finally activate the game and move the MO and such over. Remember you will have to redirect the MO folder to the new locations for the mods and other files in the Setup. Lots of work to move it.  Reason for the suggestion. Again not sure how well this will work for you or if it is the problem. If it does work then likely this is the case and you will need to move the games /Steam/Mo etc.

Steam and MO are located in the Programs (x86) folder. There is advice against this, but I FORGOT WHAT AND WHY THAT IS. Stupid capslock. I don't have a second hard drive on this computer, and I can't ever get MO to run if it's not in Programs (x86).

I think I'll heed the advice about moving Steam, but where is a good place to stuff it? I'm not trying to run the game from an external hard drive again. It's too hard on my computer. Yes, I'm still in the process of figuring out how to make the other computers work properly. When I get that done, I'll try more complicated things like trying to run MO and Skyrim from the secondary hard drive.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot after running MO as admin.

post-279248-0-96624800-1478460535_thumb.png

All of the DLCs are missing.

And a really messed up file path here. I know that this isn't right.

post-279248-0-17108000-1478460790_thumb.png

Sigh...

post-279248-0-01907300-1478461496_thumb.png post-279248-0-27486200-1478461808_thumb.png

If you move MO.. you have to remember to change the settings for the folders when you do. This is likely the reason you can't get MO to work outside of the Programs folder. It is expecting to find the files in the Programs folder and they aren't there anymore. If you install a fresh MO install into the game folder then move your needed files over from the old one (Mods, Profile, downloads etc) it should auto configure over to the new location;

The location you use for Steam don't matter so long as it is outside of the programs folder. Many just install it into the root or C:/Steam Basically just right after steam and not in any other folders.

The windowed mode might be your settings through Mo. Not sure. you should launch the  Skyrim launcher and make sure the Windowed Mode isn't checked. I just replicated it on my rig. I clicked the launcher inside of the setup from Mo and it now is in windowed mode.  Using the SKSE gives me a windowed mode through Mo and a Non-Windowed Mode using the SKSE launcher in the folder. (outside of MO.)

Didn't realize that you could have different settings in MO for this. :)post-89432-0-32389800-1478465189_thumb.jpgpost-89432-0-96400400-1478465194_thumb.jpg

That should fix your Windowed Problem with out needing to move the folders or Steam.

you also should be able to return to using normal start instead of Admin launch of MO

There is advice against this, but I FORGOT WHAT AND WHY THAT IS.

It causes issues because starting with Vista Microsoft decided to try to strictly enforce file permissions for security reasons. From what I understand, in order to prevent viruses and malicious software from doing something to your programs, the only thing that's supposed to touch Program Files is installers. General stuff the program needs to manipulate should be in Program Data, user-specific data in AppData, and files the user is supposed to be able to manually change or access in My Documents.

But Microsoft forgot that you can't just suddenly start enforcing a standard after over a decade of not having a standard, so rather than actually accomplish anything UAC just breaks programs and overall annoys users until they get fed up with it and are forced to disable or bypass it, removing the security improvements it was designed to introduce.

... where is a good place to stuff it?

Hey Storms, sorry to read that you are having problems with your Steam/Skyrim/MO install. Let me share with you what, so far at least, has always worked for me:

If things get difficult and messy, start over. Completely. So make a copy of any savegames that you have. Then delete everything related to Skyrim, MO and yes, even Steam! Be sure to also delete any left over files in the C:\Users\[your profile name]\AppData\Local. There will be at least 2 folders in the called "Skyrim" and "Steam" and possibly a 3rd folder called "Nexus". Just right-click and delete the complete files. POOF! All gone.

Next, make a folder called Games (or similar) on your harddisk. So it should be C:\Games (or similar). Keep the path length/ name as short as possible, because Windows has a 256 length limit for file paths. And when modding, it is shockingly easy to get over this file path length!

Inside the C:\Games folder, make another folder called "Mod Tools" and "MO". (all names are suggestions, but keep it short!)

Then, go to the Steam website and download the Steam installer. When you run it, have it install into the C:\Games folder, not the standard one it wants to install in! When it is done installing, you will have "moved" your steam outside a secured folder (like Program Files). Install your game(s) via Steam, so they are all installed in this new folder. And as always, when done, run Skyrim at least once to get the ini files installed.

When done, install ModOrganizer into the folder you created called MO. Keep the Mod Tools folder to install actual tools like Tes5Edit, LOOT etc. in to. After you have installed MO, you are ready to start installing your mods with it. And you should be freed of any problems.

When installing FNIS, you should take a few extra steps to (hopefully) avoid any issues. Download and install the FNIS main file and while installing it, rename it to FNIS. Then install any additional FNIS files, like FNIS creatures and when installing it also rename it to FNIS! Select "Merge" when you get a popup. If you don't get a popup window, you didn't give it the same name. This way all the FNIS files will be in the same mod.

As I said, this setup has always worked for me with a minimum of problems. So I hope it will for you as well. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to determine what could be causing this for fallout 4 i tried it with mo newest beta 3 and i noticed it will make loading from game cell take very long time to complete. then i tried it the same with just manual installing mods and my load time became normal again. is this a known problem with the beta MO ??

I am trying to determine what could be causing this for fallout 4 i tried it with mo newest beta 3 and i noticed it will make loading from game cell take very long time to complete. then i tried it the same with just manual installing mods and my load time became normal again. is this a known problem with the beta MO ??

This release is for testers only! If you're not willing to participate on the issue tracker, do NOT contact me about problems!

Okay, it's finally time to test F4 with Tannin's new work. I have slacked, but I've had reasons.

Tannin wishes his bugs to be reported here. This is where he looks, and this is where he answers.

As for me, I am ready to rock, and will mediate and help as much as I can with MO2, but I do wonder if maybe MO2 should have a separate thread.

Should I make a Mod Organizer 2 thread?