Its suppose to be "NEW" and from "GROUND UP" development. So likely all that old code isn't going to be there. So it won't be the NMM that everybody knows of currently or the past. Still can't see the "goals" that were set forth being obtainable. Simple as NMM for those that want it and complex for those that want to have more control over their mods. Doubt it.

At least the old MO 32 bit is stable and so far works very well so you won't have to change that out and can continue using it going forward D_ManXX2.

If I'm reading right, there's open permission to modify the original MO for other games. So hopefully some programmer will continue off the original MO and update it. Like Prideslayer did with Fallout Mod Manager. I certainly am not going to be convinced to switch to NMM.

If I'm reading right, there's open permission to modify the original MO for other games. So hopefully some programmer will continue off the original MO and update it. Like Prideslayer did with Fallout Mod Manager. I certainly am not going to be convinced to switch to NMM.

Only way i'm switching to this new mod manger they are making is if a lot of the features from MO make it to that one.

Only way i'm switching to this new mod manger they are making is if a lot of the features from MO make it to that one.

Namely the independent install of mods and the ability to drag and drop in order along with conflicts being easily seen.

Prideslayer retired from modding. There are very few able to do that level of work and willing to do that level of work. I wouldn't hold my breath. :(

Oh, I wasn't holding my breath on him to do it. I mean someone out there who is a programmer. Tannin can hump D0 for all I care, as long as MO is open GL, remains that way and doesn't become a douche changing his permissions I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't want to touch NMM and no one should feel obligated. NMM and MO was fine the way they were apart. It gave people the choice for one or the other. It gave people the option to switch to one or the other when ever they wanted. That choice is taken away because we won't be seeing a MO for Skyrim Remaster. So unless he changes his permissions and becomes a dick about redistribution, I hope someone out there is willing to continue pushing MO forward for the many of us who preferred the way MO is built and how it handles mod managing.

I think it's pretty dumb to let such a fine program die out like that. If anything, NMM should of died out and been replaced with MO as the main manager for Nexus.

Oh, I wasn't holding my breath on him to do it. I mean someone out there who is a programmer. Tannin can hump D0 for all I care, as long as MO is open GL, remains that way and doesn't become a douche changing his permissions I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't want to touch NMM and no one should feel obligated. NMM and MO was fine the way they were apart. It gave people the choice for one or the other. It gave people the option to switch to one or the other when ever they wanted. That choice is taken away because we won't be seeing a MO for Skyrim Remaster. So unless he changes his permissions and becomes a dick about redistribution, I hope someone out there is willing to continue pushing MO forward for the many of us who preferred the way MO is built and how it handles mod managing.

I think it's pretty dumb to let such a fine program die out like that. If anything, NMM should of died out and been replaced with MO as the main manager for Nexus.

I know you weren't holding your breath on him doing the work.. I was just pointing out that level of capability is rare in the modding world. The add to the actual work and time required... it is a very slim chance that it will be taken over.

However you are right... the possibility is there since he stated openly that someone could come along and take over the project on Nexus no less so if there is someone out there to do it it can be done.

Now if anyone does have the skills and is reading this... remember there is a patron option to help get your lights paid for (to cover the extreme time needed to develop this) and many fans of the traditional MO setup so you might be able to make some $$$ in the process. Something I don't think Tannin explored.

Now if anyone does have the skills and is reading this... remember there is a patron option to help get your lights paid for (to cover the extreme time needed to develop this) and many fans of the traditional MO setup so you might be able to make some $$$ in the process. Something I don't think Tannin explored.

Donations < an actual wage. You know this.

Donations < an actual wage. You know this.

Yes... I do.  However it is something and a start for someone that is considering the need for assistance for their time. Which is what I was commenting on to the poster above this.  There are some on the Patron system that makes quite a bit of "donations". Even with a share being taken by Patron system and fees.. it is something. Perhaps something to consider for anyone with the skills to work on MO to make it functional for the 64bit games.

Also when you have an "actual wage" you are TOLD what and how to do your job even if it isn't the best process to take. Dark One employing Tannin means HE chooses the final path for the new system, not Tannin. Through the patron system... Tannin CHOOSES what direction is best. Worst case some Patron members drop their support... others join in.

So with Dark One paying Tanning to work for him.. it is very unlikely we will have a NMM that will be anything like the MO that we enjoyed before. It remains to be seen if it is better and only time will tell on that.

just to be clear.. I don't hold it against Tannin for taking a paying job. I posted that on another thread...

The fact of the matter is Tannin needs a job. His previous one increasingly kept him from developing MO2. His new one at least has him developing a mod manager, instead of none. DarkOne may hold the purse strings, being the only one in the world of modding able to pay people wages, but if he weren't interested in a better product than NMM, he wouldn't have hired Tannin.

The fact of the matter is Tannin needs a job. His previous one increasingly kept him from developing MO2. His new one at least has him developing a mod manager, instead of none. DarkOne may hold the purse strings, being the only one in the world of modding able to pay people wages, but if he weren't interested in a better product than NMM, he wouldn't have hired Tannin.

Yes... he is developing a mod manager. One that won't be NMM and one that won't be MO. Both parties (NMM and MO crowd)  now have their favorite mod managers up and ripped out from under them. With no telling when this "new" manager will be released.

I did state I don't begrudge him getting a job. However the fact is now the future of mod managers is up in the air. Who knows what will be created. Everyone knew what was to be expected with either NMM or MO. I suspect it will be a hybrid of both and chances are nobody will be happy with the results.

Anyway... I believe this conversation is quickly moving toward derailing the thread. If someone wants to create a Tannin at Nexus discussion thread then perhaps I might have some more to say. Until that happens I have stated my views on this and the NMM thread and elsewhere.

if tannin had continued the way he was going MO would have been neglected for another year before he gave up on it... either way tannin working on MO is over...

the reason the nexus has a rep for asshole moderators is because darkone does not keep them on a leash - do you really think he's gonna keep tannin on a leash?...

darkone did say he wants a mod manager that is simple for people that just want to activate mods but has the advanced stuff from MO and a better UX than either - he also said that he knew NMM needed to start over anyway because some of the problems they were having to fix came from old code - it seems right now that tannin and darkone want the same thing who knows if that will last but we'll have to wait and see

as a programmer of 20 years i can totally see why he wanted to start over and tannin is the man with the skills and brain power to do it right as well as do it fast enough for new games coming out...

whatever it looks and works like i'm just gonna call it Nexus Mod Organiser

No one cares if Tannin has a job or not.  He works at Jack in the Box or he works at Nexus.  It doesn't matter.  What matters is work is being stopped on two somewhat functional mod organizers so a new one exclusive to Nexus members can be started.  Dark0ne just made a play to further restrict modding independent of Nexus.  WyreBash will be the only independent tool around.  THAT is NOT a good thing.

What matters is work is being stopped on two somewhat functional mod organizers so a new one exclusive to Nexus members can be started. 

You don't know that, it depends on the licenses. Both NMM and MO were free open source, and used software that forced this on them, so who's to say the new mod manager won't be the same?

If you're not a member at Nexus then you don't have access to the NMM.  Why would this new mod organizer be any different?  And that's not a rhetorical question because there won't be any difference.

Open source doesn't equal access to the root source code.  Even if it did, who here has the knowledge and ability to continue development?  No one is piling on do FNIS type software for FO4.  Yes, I know a few people are tinkering and muddling their way trough the process and I also know they are struggling due to lack of knowledge.  This scenario will play out for Skyrim Remastered as well.  What's true for animation loaders is true for mod managers when there is a dearth in technical know-how.  It is an apples-to-apples comparison.

My point is Tannin is free to do whatever he wants; including assisting Dark0ne in consolidating his hold on Bethesda game modding.  The lack of diversity and options is not a step forward.

Well since this appears to be officially sanctioned derailment of the thread... I guess I can make comments here instead of the actual thread created by prinyo for discussion of TAnnin42 being the new head developer of NMM...

If you're not a member at Nexus then you don't have access to the NMM.  Why would this new mod organizer be any different?  And that's not a rhetorical question because there won't be any difference.

Open source doesn't equal access to the root source code.  Even if it did, who here has the knowledge and ability to continue development?  No one is piling on do FNIS type software for FO4.  Yes, I know a few people are tinkering and muddling their way trough the process and I also know they are struggling due to lack of knowledge.  This scenario will play out for Skyrim Remastered as well.  What's true for animation loaders is true for mod managers when there is a dearth in technical know-how.  It is an apples-to-apples comparison.

My point is Tannin is free to do whatever he wants; including assisting Dark0ne in consolidating his hold on Bethesda game modding.  The lack of diversity and options is not a step forward.

The understanding of how coding works is the issue here. Then combined the fact that this level of coding isn't something some script kitty can churn out. This is serious code requiring someone that is really skilled and trained in programming.

NMM is not a nexus exclusive; anybody can upload it anywhere for people who don't have access to nexus to download. GPL, after all. Same goes for MO. Chances are the new download manager will be released under a similar license.

You are right. Likely the new code will be released as open source. Dark One isn't one to turn down free support. Being Open means others can add to the code and help improve his product to boot. It works quite well.

As for uploading it anywhere... Where else is it uploaded? Just because it can be uploaded and openly distributed ... doesn't' mean it is or will be. Not being distributed means those that don't have access to the Nexus..are ... quite frankly ... SOL.. The only benefit is I or others can openly distributed it to them without the fear of "official" sanctions from Nexus or any site we are on. However very few do this so still they are SOL.

Also.. lets keep in mind. Any development will be along the lines best for the Nexus. After all why not. Dark One is paying for it so yes.. it should be. However that don't' mean it will be the "best" line for development for the modding community. Yes.. also means it won't necessarily be bad either. Only time will tell.

You only address one part of Kendos statement. Are you going to take over MO? Do you know someone that will? Chances are very slim that you do or anyone here does. Again this code is serious business and chances are wont' be taken up. There are only a few rare individuals in the modding community that can both competently take over the project and actually would. Pride being one of those niveuserverto is another. Lets remember Pride retired ;) so the few we had.. is even less :(

Also not addressing the Elefant in the room. We now have no actual manager.. Essentially we don't. NMM is discontinued and only minor bugs fixed. It also isn't very stable by having various problems like messing with your installed mods. and on the other hand.. we don't have MO either. Yes. I know it wasn't being actively developed because Tannin was very busy.. however it could be developed now it is even more unlikely it will continue. Unlike OBMM, FOMM, etc (NMM's predecessor) complete and stable.   both NMM and MO are incomplete with issues. 

Finally.. there isn't much of a choice for mod managers. It will soon be NMM 2or WyreBash. Choice is good. Regardless of the arguments between NMM and MO that raiged on.. we at least had the choice in the matter... now we don't. That is what I think is the major issue here currently. We are in shock at the change in our modding worlds and it will take time to come to terms with this.

FNIS is not needed for FO4 as the animations can be added in the CK and the game handles what FNIS did - the work being done is making the animations into something FO4 can use, animators have started work already - as the workflow gets ironed out more will come

Really? If so then that is good news.One of the things I was really afraid of was / is that Bethesda somehow restricted our ability to mod further and with the retirement of FORE .. well essentially from what I hear that is when it comes to FNIS for FO4.. I thought we would be screwed.. If we can actually add animations in the CK then that is great. I  have heard that some had limited success with this so far so I guess it is only a matter of time to iron out the rest. Now with Skyrim 2 coming out soon I am sure there will be even more effort (and perhaps manpower) to get this done since I assume it will be basically the same thing or pretty dam close.

For a lot of the NMM functions to work properly you need to be signed in to...wait for it...NEXUS.  So YEAH, it's 'open source' but it is specifically tied to Dark0ne's servers.  If someone were to upload the NMM to another site the downloaders would still have to be registered members at Nexus to activate it.  That makes NMM a Nexus exclusive.

As I said on another thread, the problem is there isn't another MO like mod manager otherwise migrating over to that wouldn't be an issue. But MO was one and the only one. It was easy for me to switch back to FOMM after trying NMM because it was pretty much the same thing.. MO is really well created. It lives up to its name. The interface and panels and features are just very smooth and I'd hate to see that mod manager just wither away. Hopefully someone will gain interest at some point. I really really don't want to have to be forced to use NMM for Skyrim Remaster just to have the virtual file structure again.

Well since this appears to be officially sanctioned derailment of the thread...

Yup.

As for uploading it anywhere... Where else is it uploaded? Just because it can be uploaded and openly distributed ... doesn't' mean it is or will be. Not being distributed means those that don't have access to the Nexus..are ... quite frankly ... SOL.. The only benefit is I or others can openly distributed it to them without the fear of "official" sanctions from Nexus or any site we are on. However very few do this so still they are SOL.

This is a non-issue. If you care about Nexus bannees no longer being able to download NMM from there, upload it elsewhere. If you don't, then don't complain others don't either.

You only address one part of Kendos statement. Are you going to take over MO? Do you know someone that will? Chances are very slim that you do or anyone here does. Again this code is serious business and chances are wont' be taken up. There are only a few rare individuals in the modding community that can both competently take over the project and actually would. Pride being one of those niveuserverto is another. Lets remember Pride retired ;) so the few we had.. is even less :(

Don't know why you keep bringing up pride. As far as I know he never even favored the file virtualization and profiling that we love about MO. Sure, it takes quite a special skillset to develop something like MO, and there's no guarantee anyone will step up to the plate to continue it. Then again, pride's continuation of FOMM was based on being allowed by the same copyleft licensing that apply to MO, and that he saw a need to do it. The same can happen with MO. Wait and see.

We now have no actual manager.. Essentially we don't. NMM is discontinued and only minor bugs fixed. It also isn't very stable by having various problems like messing with your installed mods. and on the other hand.. we don't have MO either. Yes. I know it wasn't being actively developed because Tannin was very busy.. however it could be developed now it is even more unlikely it will continue. Unlike OBMM, FOMM, etc (NMM's predecessor) complete and stable.   both NMM and MO are incomplete with issues.

Sounds like NMM gets the mercy killing it deserves so no worries there. MO: the version I have for FNV and skyrim works fine. I think only MO2 had real issues, to accommodate FO4 and probably skyrim2 later on, so I was waiting for that to get fixed. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer for the new thing now. MO2 wasn't going anywhere fast anyway.

For a lot of the NMM functions to work properly you need to be signed in to...wait for it...NEXUS.  So YEAH, it's 'open source' but it is specifically tied to Dark0ne's servers.  If someone were to upload the NMM to another site the downloaders would still have to be registered members at Nexus to activate it.  That makes NMM a Nexus exclusive.

I'll take your word for it, never having used NMM anyway. But surely those functions for which you need to be signed in aren't anything essential?

You need a Nexus account to activate it initially.  After that you only need to be signed in for updates, installing Nexus mods with the manager, or to rate mods.  If Nexus makes a major change to the manager or how their servers interpret the install the mod manager will throw an error and not load.  That basically sabotages whatever game you're attempting to use it for until you update it.  NMM is a perpetual beta POS actually.

Well since this appears to be officially sanctioned derailment of the thread...

Yup.

This is a non-issue. If you care about Nexus bannees no longer being able to download NMM from there, upload it elsewhere. If you don't, then don't complain others don't either.

Don't know why you keep bringing up pride. As far as I know he never even favored the file virtualization and profiling that we love about MO. Sure, it takes quite a special skillset to develop something like MO, and there's no guarantee anyone will step up to the plate to continue it. Then again, pride's continuation of FOMM was based on being allowed by the same copyleft licensing that apply to MO, and that he saw a need to do it. The same can happen with MO. Wait and see.

We now have no actual manager.. Essentially we don't. NMM is discontinued and only minor bugs fixed. It also isn't very stable by having various problems like messing with your installed mods. and on the other hand.. we don't have MO either. Yes. I know it wasn't being actively developed because Tannin was very busy.. however it could be developed now it is even more unlikely it will continue. Unlike OBMM, FOMM, etc (NMM's predecessor) complete and stable.   both NMM and MO are incomplete with issues.

Sounds like NMM gets the mercy killing it deserves so no worries there. MO: the version I have for FNV and skyrim works fine. I think only MO2 had real issues, to accommodate FO4 and probably skyrim2 later on, so I was waiting for that to get fixed. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer for the new thing now. MO2 wasn't going anywhere fast anyway.

For a lot of the NMM functions to work properly you need to be signed in to...wait for it...NEXUS.  So YEAH, it's 'open source' but it is specifically tied to Dark0ne's servers.  If someone were to upload the NMM to another site the downloaders would still have to be registered members at Nexus to activate it.  That makes NMM a Nexus exclusive.

I'll take your word for it, never having used NMM anyway. But surely those functions for which you need to be signed in aren't anything essential?

I brought up Pride as an example of one individual that might be able to accomplish taking over such a task. You just prove my point in the fact that he never even shown an interest in virtualization or such. What is the chances someone else will ;)

The issue of Nexus manager is that it is a Nexus manager not a  non affiliated manager. Being Nexus based it is focused on services for Nexus... Sure you can give it away, send it.. bit torrent it or whatever.. that still don't change the fact it is designed and developed for Nexus. The reason why some have an issue with NMM. Keep ignoring that fact if you will. Now there is less options because of the changes. That is and was the entire point of my comment.

True NMM needed to be taken around back and shot. Who knows what we will get in its place. I hope it is a better manager. Also true MO2 was going slowly or almost not at all. However there was always a better chance when Tanning wasn't busy.. he could start back up.. Now he won't as it would now be a conflict of interest with his current job. And my statement about how few people there are that can.. means it is likely Fallout 6 will be released before anyone starts or even tries to work the old system.. or anyone even develop an alternative to NMM. See that is the main issue. Lack of selection.

How would you like it if there was only one soda, one apple juice, one car, one type of shirt, one pair of pants for both males and females, you name it .. one of whatever and that is all you had a choice on using.. It would suck.. It would suck badly wouldn't it. The same goes for mod managers. One sized don't fit all. Even the NMM and MO communities were constantly fighting with each other about how one was better than the other. And yes.. one was better than the other... for that person because it FIT THEM.. They had the choice.

As for Kendo's comments.. even if that wasn't true. It is still being designed for Nexus and Dark Ones and their teams goals, plans and uses, not for or driven by the modding community. That is what many that don't see the problem are missing and getting confused when people are upset about Tanning working for Nexus. They don't see this and/ or just outright dismiss this and the concerns of those who mod just like them as a trivial issue.

I stated before don't begrudge the man getting a paid job for doing what he loves doing. It would be the same if any of the major mod authors and talent here got a job working at Bethesda. Great for him. The problems are were we are at now. The situation. Unlike many others here I can manually install the mods if I need to. If I need to I can start combining mods and all sorts of crap to get my game on. A bit of practice and research .. but no problem I did it before with Oblivion and even recently with Fallout 4. So it don't matter what is produced. I can deal with it. Many others here can't. Many are at the mercy of the managers and those that "know" what they are doing to get mods into their game. Having a decent manager is essential for the level of modding that is part of the Bethesda mod community. Having options is greatly preferred over having one directed focused corporately driven manager.

Fortunately we have WyreBash.. Hopefully they have some support for Fallout 4 and the upcoming Skryim. Does anyone know the status of this?

The issue of Nexus manager is that it is a Nexus manager not a  non affiliated manager. Being Nexus based it is focused on services for Nexus... Sure you can give it away, send it.. bit torrent it or whatever.. that still don't change the fact it is designed and developed for Nexus. The reason why some have an issue with NMM. Keep ignoring that fact if you will.

If wishing could make it so.

My insistence on saying anybody can still re-upload the current versions of NMM and MO was meant to do away with the idea that they'd become unobtainable somehow ("ripped out from under them"), now that the development of both is discontinued, or already are to some ("Where else is it uploaded?"). I'm not at all surprised some people are bothered by the fact it's developed under the Nexus umbrella - what else is new. This is however the first time you mentioned it as a serious concern in your posts here, so don't blame me for ignoring it in answering to you, or get creative with your fonts to explain it to me like a moron who's been told several times already and may need some ***visual aid*** or something.

As for lack of choice being your main point: if there was only one mod manager in development, and it was MO, that lack of choice would be fine by you, I suspect. It would be fine by me too.

As for Kendo's comments.. even if that wasn't true. It is still being designed for Nexus and Dark Ones and their teams goals, plans and uses, not for or driven by the modding community. That is what many that don't see the problem are missing and getting confused when people are upset about Tanning working for Nexus. They don't see this and/ or just outright dismiss this and the concerns of those who mod just like them as a trivial issue.

That kind of phone-home stuff he described is obviously unacceptable. I admit I thought it'd only be nagging about updates, kudos and the like, nothing essential. Either way, NMM's getting the axe and it remains to be seen if the new mod manager would include something similarly invasive. I don't dismiss this concern, but I won't automatically assume the worst just because it involves Nexus either. Nothing there to be "confused" about; I just don't agree with it.

The issue of Nexus manager is that it is a Nexus manager not a  non affiliated manager. Being Nexus based it is focused on services for Nexus... Sure you can give it away, send it.. bit torrent it or whatever.. that still don't change the fact it is designed and developed for Nexus. The reason why some have an issue with NMM. Keep ignoring that fact if you will.

If wishing could make it so.

My insistence on saying anybody can still re-upload the current versions of NMM and MO was meant to do away with the idea that they'd become unobtainable somehow ("ripped out from under them"), now that the development of both is discontinued, or already are to some ("Where else is it uploaded?"). I'm not at all surprised some people are bothered by the fact it's developed under the Nexus umbrella - what else is new. This is however the first time you mentioned it as a serious concern in your posts here, so don't blame me for ignoring it in answering to you, or get creative with your fonts to explain it to me like a moron who's been told several times already and may need some ***visual aid*** or something.

As for lack of choice being your main point: if there was only one mod manager in development, and it was MO, that lack of choice would be fine by you, I suspect. It would be fine by me too.

shocked-face-300x225.png

Also when you have an "actual wage" you are TOLD what and how to do your job even if it isn't the best process to take. Dark One employing Tannin means HE chooses the final path for the new system, not Tannin. Through the patron system... Tannin CHOOSES what direction is best. Worst case some Patron members drop their support... others join in.

So with Dark One paying Tanning to work for him.. it is very unlikely we will have a NMM that will be anything like the MO that we enjoyed before. It remains to be seen if it is better and only time will tell on that.

Oct 13th 6:55

Also.. lets keep in mind. Any development will be along the lines best for the Nexus. After all why not. Dark One is paying for it so yes.. it should be. However that don't' mean it will be the "best" line for development for the modding community. Yes.. also means it won't necessarily be bad either. Only time will tell.

Oct 14 5:57

The issue of Nexus manager is that it is a Nexus manager not a  non affiliated manager. Being Nexus based it is focused on services for Nexus... Sure you can give it away, send it.. bit torrent it or whatever.. that still don't change the fact it is designed and developed for Nexus. The reason why some have an issue with NMM. Keep ignoring that fact if you will. Now there is less options because of the changes. That is and was the entire point of my comment.

How would you like it if there was only one soda, one apple juice, one car, one type of shirt, one pair of pants for both males and females, you name it .. one of whatever and that is all you had a choice on using.. It would suck.. It would suck badly wouldn't it. The same goes for mod managers. One sized don't fit all. Even the NMM and MO communities were constantly fighting with each other about how one was better than the other. And yes.. one was better than the other... for that person because it FIT THEM.. They had the choice.

It is still being designed for Nexus and Dark Ones and their teams goals, plans and uses, not for or driven by the modding community.

October 14th 9:19

There were several post before the one where I used the ***visual aid*** 

I posted some smaller segments of those post above to show how when and what I was talking about when I implied several times before that I didn't like the fact that the main mod manager was being developed by NMM. For those that want to check them .. I made a link below the capture because it is quite a bit of text.