Starfield release date 11/22/22

Anyone else notice that the intro music sounds very 'Star Trek'?

A lot of 'Halo' vibes to it as well.

Not surprising, really, given that that is Microsoft's big FPS game, so they are probably wanting a lot of that money machine working in this game.

Just a few comments I have after watching the vid.

• Combat: Meh. Just the usual here. They've added some verticality with the jet pack and maybe zero-G combat might pose some challenges but overall its nothing I haven't seen before in their prior games.
  • Character Creation/Customization: Better graphics compared to Fallout 4 but it still feels very similar as far as the character options go. The Body scaling is like FO4. The Face options have been done before (I didn't see any Sculpt menu). Character skin still had that plastic sheen on it. Didn't see a makeup/tatoo option unless it's further down the Face menu. Backgrounds and Traits look streamlined. Overall...RaceMenu is still superior.
  • Factions: Some are intriguing but there's already a Minutemen 2.0
  • Outpost building: An iteration of Fallout 4's settlement system. I really like that they seem to have gone to structures that can snap together rather than having to build walls/floors/ceilings/doors/etc. 
  • Ship building: Love it. Hope having an actual crew to manage brings additional gameplay or story elements aside from just clicking on them for a one-liner or two.
  • Ship combat: Seems way more visceral than the gun combat presented so far. I'm speculating that they will have transition from planetary gameplay to stellar gameplay (sit on pilot seat>click launch into space button>cinematic take off>loading screen>new cockpit ui/3rd person ship view mode after loading into a preset Space region that will have the planet as a backdrop and objects to fly to and interact with. Warping from planet to planet/system to system would just be a cutscene and then loading into a different Space region. I really doubt there is going to be a seamless transition from space to planet and vice versa. They could let players roam around the interior of their ship at this point but it's probably gonna be another loading screen to the ship interior area.
  • 1000s of Planets to explore: I doubt there'd be worthwhile content in all of them aside from the outpost system but it could be awesome for Modders to bring life into them.
  • Varied landscapes: Mmmm....screenshot galore.

I'm still stoked about playing the game, despite my comments and concerns. As long as Bethesda continues to let Modders do what they do best after the game's release, most of the game's faults can be remedied. 

Edited by legendofblaze

I think some of you missing the point.  Look at the original Skyrim released back then compared to today.  How many dildo tentacle planets do you really need?  As long as mod creators can do with it what they've done with Skyrim, then it's just a matter of time before we see mods like Walmart and Star Wars.

56 minutes ago, TopDogCat said:

I think some of you missing the point.  Look at the original Skyrim released back then compared to today.  How many dildo tentacle planets do you really need?  As long as mod creators can do with it what they've done with Skyrim, then it's just a matter of time before we see mods like Walmart and Star Wars.

Not really. Modding FO4 is a gigantic pain in the ass, and it's never going to be on the level of Skyrim and that has nothing to do with age. While SF is very likely to be received better than FO4 simply based on genre, expecting the same level of support with the level of lockout and gimping FO4 received is most certainly "missing the point".

Skyrim's mod eco system was developed with creator credit and goodwill in mind. SF's mod environment is going to Sims level GIBMONEYSNAOWORNOESP and we haven't even touched how M$ feels about risque content.

There is no 1:1, there will be no 1:1.

It looked like a mix of Fallout, Mass Effect and Star Citizen to me in the video, well gameplay wise. I always wanted to play something like Star Citizen, but not Star Citizen, i don't want to play a MTX infested game. Starfield might be just that. And with modders from here and Nexus the game might actually be good after a few years.

There might be 8-15 planets with actual content and 985 almost completly empty planets, but this gives modders the possibility to create a whole world. Let it be a world that is still stuck in the medival times, a world that is still stuck with the technology we currently have on earth and maybe even worlds with dinosaurs. I mean in a game like this everything would make sense lore wise.

I hope the game will use DX12 and or Vulkan API and that is has DLSS. I don't think there will be Raytracing, and that would be okay. I would be dissapointed if it's a DX11 game, the CPU utilization just sucks in DX11 games, most stuff is still done on the first CPU core in most DX11 games.

I hope we can travel to our system (Sol) ingame, and hope we can travel to earth, it would just suck not being able to visit earth. Of course i also hope for a terraformed mars, and that also something is going on the moon.

I got real "The Expanse" vibes from the Starfield gameplay video, except that there are also alien creatures shown. Im like 100% sure there will be a Rocinante mod, and a Normandy mod. :D 

No matter what vanilla they reveal, modders will make it better. Aren’t we used to this by now?

I’m already scheming all the shit I wanna do ?

The slated release schedule is reportedly Q1 2023. Can’t wait…

5 hours ago, RohZima said:

Does anyone know who composed the score? Soule?

Soule was MeToo'd years ago. Hasn't made music for AAA in like five years.

Bethesda's new go to is Inon Zur.

Edited by 27X

So apparently you can fly your own ship and have combat in space. From the looks on the trailer this appears to be very arcade airplane-in-space like. Disappointing.

Hopefully there will be a toggle to have a true Newtonian space movement, like in E:D with Flight Assist off, or it will be modded in at some point.

1 hour ago, 27X said:

Soule was MeToo'd years ago. Hasn't made music for AAA in like five years.

Bethesda's new go to is Inon Zur.

I didn't know about that. Lol, he doesn't exactly come off as much of a 'predator' type. I like Inon Zur alot, but for a space opera type thing Soule might be more suited.

2 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Well, it was from a 4chan "leak"originally, and the screenshot was posted on Reddit. Only reason I give it any credence is the supposed leak was bang on the money about a lot that turned up in the gameplay reveal. So maybe they're right about this too.

Which isn't to say they'll let us use their home grown animation extensions either, of course. Still, it does no harm to hope,

8 hours ago, DocClox said:

Well, it was from a 4chan "leak"originally, and the screenshot was posted on Reddit. Only reason I give it any credence is the supposed leak was bang on the money about a lot that turned up in the gameplay reveal. So maybe they're right about this too.

Which isn't to say they'll let us use their home grown animation extensions either, of course. Still, it does no harm to hope,

After all these years, “modders will find a way” is built into Bethesda’s expectations. They know full well what’s in store for this game, and they’re betting the farm on it.

”Let’s get more players into this game than ANY of our previous titles”. After Skyrim and Oblivion, that’s a pretty bold request. I’m expecting even more mod-ability than those games had straight out of the box. It’s almost required to achieve the goal.

Edited by Trykz
32 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

After the creation of the CC and the difficulties in creating mods for FO4, I'm still not convinced we'll see the same level of "mod-ability" in Starfield that we had in previous titles. It's just a gut feeling.

It may get worse, IMO. If they're changing the physics engine it may also sign the end(or another long time of reverse-engineering) of animation modding.Or not. Who knows.

Edited by Kargrin
1 hour ago, Kargrin said:

It may get worse, IMO. If they're changing the physics engine it may also sign the end(or another long time of reverse-engineering) of animation modding.Or not. Who knows.

Possibly. But I doubt it.

I'm leaning toward more expansive mod-ability than any prior Bethesda title. Why? Because Bethesda isn't as stupid as many like to believe.

Skyrim, after 10 years and multiple iterations, is still one of THE most played games ever. And Bethesda knows that mods are what has kept the

game fresh and interesting over the years since it's last DLC was released. They also know that Fallout 4 brought many mistakes to the table, but

a lot of decent content as well.

Now I'm sure there are those who are likely expecting "settlements in space" with the outpost stuff. Except that in this new game, "settlements"

can be built anywhere you choose according to Howard. Unlike those of FO4 which were just pre-determined areas you were allowed to build on.

The most notable takeaway for me was what he said about shipbuilding. "You can build your own ship(s)". Insinuating you can amass "fleets" of

ships, and not just one. I'm hoping there's a fleshed out companion system that allows you to assign a ship to a companion. Would make the ship

combat a lot more interesting. But even if there isn't, it wouldn't deter me from playing and modding the game.

We'll see...