Fomm - Custom Build - 0.14.11.13

As for the run as admin in he TTW installer.. I *think* it's related to a few things...

1)... accessing the registry for the install dir for fo3/FNV

It's not this. FOMM does the same thing. So does NMM.

2)... calling console .net exe on win8... or opening the console session... I'm still fuzzy on this.. but the whole running BSAopt thing from the installer is a bit less than optimal..

Jax (he's coding the installer iirc) said there's some necessary tweaks from the current BSAopt, but no source available for current version to recompile it so that it will play nice with the installer..

I am having a conversation with him about this in PMs, but yes. He can't use the source for the existing BSAopt because it's missing features, and the source to the new one is not available. BSAopt requires admin rights for some reason. If I can get my hands on the newer source, I'll figure out why and fix it. I've contacted the author on nexus and github.

3)... access to the "program files (x86)" directory.. .. ... but that should only be for write operations.. which isn't being handled by the installer.. the mod manager does that.. so don't quote me on this one

Right. It's not this.

Edit - PPS...

I did ask Jax about the possibility of using passthrough.exe from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164014.aspx to at least make he installer run w/o user-input by parsing the console windows for "Press enter to continue" then either terminating the console and moving on.. or sending the "enter" keystroke to the console and moving on to the next item.. but haven't heard back from him on my last series of inquiries.. so i'm not sure what the status is there.

When I did it for FOMM testing, it did not require any user input. I absolutely hate all those goddamn command windows though, stealing focus from whatever I'm typing in, constantly popping open. When I get BSAopt fixed one of the things I'm going to do is turn it into a lib/dll so it can be used without that commandline bullshit.

Note I said 'when' and not 'if'. If the author won't give it up, I'll just have to work with the 1.6 source and find the missing archive flags and such.

Hang on a second..

I think it was both 14.(2,or 3? and 8) and 13.21 that snarfed on it w/o LAA bit.. but this behavior was not consistent that I recall.. just "could" happen.

This was consistent. If you hit a file inside an archive > 2GB in size with FOMM, without LAA, it would explode. It may have exploded sooner in some circumstances, but this one is an inescapable fact.

Edit: IF the fomod had a C# install script (script.cs) AND was using PerformBasicInstall(). Mods not calling that function have/had other failure modes as well.

Also if you roll NMC's f3 small, fnv small and poco Bueno into a bsa, and pack it.. that can kill FOMM also. (1.2g bsa)

Using the BSA thing in FOMM you mean, with this latest version? It's probably doing the same thing the archive extractor is/was doing. *sigh*. I'll take a look.

Also if you turn off the WYSIWYG editing shit, you can quote and stuff without all the javascript BS that's probably blowing up IE. It's just simple BB code and way easier to do multiquoting and other things with than the fancy editor.

Niveus.. thank you for pointing that out.. I wasn't seeing anything on the TTW site indicating status of their code.

Pride.. glad you got in contact with Jax.. hopefully some of the installer can get smoothed out... as it's kinda dumb with the focus stealing as you pointed out.. but it's worse when you have to hit enter to move to the next bsaopt session. Enter to continue only occurs on specific configurations.. it's x64, or win 8, or win 8x64.. not 100% but Jax should know the specific conditions.

There was 1 brief mention in the bsaopt nexus threads about someone running into that running a batch of bsaopts... http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/461381-bsaopt/page-14&do=findComment&comment=6922762

skyrim bsaopt, page 14 , post 137 and 139 is dev response

Re: NMC's.

No a .fomod (7z archive.. with no fomod script) Version of NMC's made w/ external tools.

Contents consist of a single 1.2gb BSA of Washed-out-Wasteland over NMC-NV-Small over Poco Bueno over NMC-Fo3-Small rolled into a .BSA through BSAopt per the TTW recommendation by Chuck: http://taleoftwowastelands.com/comment/4309#comment-4309

Then 7zipped (as package manager choked creating from directory).. renamed to .fomod and installed. Add fomod went fine, but FOMM choked when activating the package.

Forget which version of fomm this was.. early 14.x iirc.. 14.2 maybe?

Sorry no crash dumps.. didn't ever think they'd be handy I just assumed it was me running too much crap at once.

Compatibility view in IE isn't helping for copy/paste.. where's the button for going to simple edit mode form the fancy inputbox?

-edit fixed link!

currently deactivating and reactivating my larger fomods.. will update with what woks/doesn't in current build

Status report:

TTW main - no problem (multiple 1gb+ bsa's)

NMC's DC+NV & poco wrapup - no problem (single 1gb+ bsa)

Crosswings - no problem  (MANY bsa's a few over 500mb)

:)

*shakes fist*

Reporting any bugs here in versions of FOMM other than the one I'm releasing in this thread are strictly forbidden!

Let me know if you need to borrow my Death Ray.  It has been recently recently tuned up.  :P

Although the viserial feeling of crushing things with your bare hands have an alure in itself....

Unless you can get the aircraft to do a 720 roll on each broadside volley you're just playing with rocks :)

And conquest by Blimp just says, "I'm so confident I'll ride in the biggest target I can get" and "I'll take over your country at walking pace, not because I have to, because I just don't feel like doing it any faster, you just have to wait till I'm ready before battle ensues and you have the privilege of defeat at my hands, gives you time to work on your surrender speech"

My thoughts on the next gen archive management are here.

The tl;dr version is I want FOMM to stop digging around in the archives so much (it's slow) and use file CRCs/hashes for most of it's work, while also rolling up unknown and vanilla assets so it's always sure to be able to recover them. It has some other cool features as well.