Fomm - Custom Build - 0.14.11.13

I downloaded and installed this in a separate folder. It launches the game just fine, but clicking on the esp files listed in the load order does nothing. Do I need to install this in the same directory as the Nexus FOMM and overwrite?

Not sure what you mean by 'does nothing'? All clicking them ever did was update the panel on the bottom of the window. Are you saying that doesn't work?

I downloaded and installed this in a separate folder. It launches the game just fine, but clicking on the esp files listed in the load order does nothing. Do I need to install this in the same directory as the Nexus FOMM and overwrite?

Not sure what you mean by 'does nothing'? All clicking them ever did was update the panel on the bottom of the window. Are you saying that doesn't work?

Let's say you have a mod installed but you have unticked the esp. Clicking on the empty box next to that esp does not enable it. Conversely, say you want to untick an esp already loaded, clicking on the checkmark does not untick the esp.-actually before posting this I tried again and it does work-there is a bit of a delay in ticking and unticking mods (more so than in the regular FOMM) and that caused me to think it was not working.

Check the permissions on your FONV directory. You can try copying over the top of the old one, but that should not be required.

I do not feel the need to overwrite the old one. Yours is working fine. The only reason I can think of to do that is if I wanted to activate/deactivate certain FOMODS.

May be we should implement write-check on startup?

Sounds good to me. You want me to take care of that, or do you want to do it?

I've already implemented write-checking logic into updater, so... I think it's my part mostly.

I'm thinking of - should we try to change permissions (after prompt of course) or leave it to user...

I'm not certain if this is the thread that I should post this question in or not, but here goes.

I read this in the comments for a random mod regarding having the ESM flag enabled on an ESP:  "it's a way to fix some bugs with the games handling of custom NPCs, it also solves navmesh bugs as well."  Can anyone else confirm this?

IIRC, when you install via FOMM and have an ESP with the ESM flag enabled, it gives you a warning about that, and I've actually gone into FNVEdit and removed the flag for certain mods thinking that doing so would improve stability.

I'm not certain if this is the thread that I should post this question in or not, but here goes.

I read this in the comments for a random mod regarding having the ESM flag enabled on an ESP:  "it's a way to fix some bugs with the games handling of custom NPCs, it also solves navmesh bugs as well."  Can anyone else confirm this?

IIRC, when you install via FOMM and have an ESP with the ESM flag enabled, it gives you a warning about that, and I've actually gone into FNVEdit and removed the flag for certain mods thinking that doing so would improve stability.

Yes, it does help in some rare cases, like with the NPC texture bug. The engine won't properly apply head textures to a custom NPC coming from an ESP, only from ESMs.

However most of the time, the flag being on in an ESP is a simple error on the part of the mod maker, and I think that's why FOMM throws up the warning.

Do you think/know of times where the flag should be removed manually, or should I just ignore it?  Also, along the lines of scripting 101, I guess that should tick it for my companion mod if/when I do get a custom face for it.

You only get the NPC texture problem if your custom NPC is non-caucasian. For whatever reason, the engine will apply the proper race to the body, but not to the head -- or maybe I have that backwards. In any case, an NPC in an ESP that is not set as master will have a mismatched head/body.

I don't know of any mods that require the flag though that aren't ESMs anyway. I don't have any myself and have never had that warning pop up in FOMM.

Per what I saw in-game earlier, it's right head, wrong body.

Request:  Since not everyone does a great job (or any job) with versioning, it would be nice if the Package Manager had a field for the Installed Date (first time FOMM installed the mod, ignores reactivations, but updates if you're installing an updated zip/etc of the same name).  I wouldn't think that there would be a need for a Reactivated Date.  Does that make any sense?

So this kinda broke my game some how. >.>

That whole yes and no to mod thing... had no clue what it was.  Didn't see much on it here.  I figured it was loose uninstalled mods that were deleted.  Now I crash on start up and FOMM will not launch because there is apparently some conflict with a Caliber X patch for Weapons of the New Millenia even though I was just playing with it, and it was fine.

Just checked.  Deleted all my mods.  This FOMM version deletes everything if you used the old version of FOMM before. (Meaning the original FOMM)

If there is any way to do a quick recovery, that would be awesome.  But I don't see how.

Is there a required setting for the colorization to work? I'm probably just dense and don't see the obvious.

I've unzipped it to a random location first and then over my main FOMM install to see if that makes a difference, have .NET 2.0, FNV, Vista 64. Mod directory is pointed to my old FOMM mod dump and shows correctly. Everything else seems to work as expected.

Is there a required setting for the colorization to work? I'm probably just dense and don't see the obvious.

I've unzipped it to a random location first and then over my main FOMM install to see if that makes a difference, have .NET 2.0, FNV, Vista 64. Mod directory is pointed to my old FOMM mod dump and shows correctly. Everything else seems to work as expected.

No, it's automatic. Default is to look as it's always looked. Drag sexout.esm after SCR or something in your load order to see some of it. Disable sexout (uncheck it) to see another.

Indeed it does, thanks.

I've been using Wrye forever for my load order needs and wrongly assumed to see a fully colorized load order with color code for properly installed mods as well. It's by no means necessary though other than to have the reassuring feeling that everything is (mostly) alright. :D

post-37-0-67762000-1394131355_thumb.jpg

I think the coloring functionality (though not colors themselves) is pretty similar to what's in Wrye. FOMM doesn't know if mods are mergable and can't merge them anyway so there's none of that coloring and whatnot. It also does that different version coloring stuff which FOMM doesn't support/do.

FOMM will colorize mods depending on a master being missing, disabled, or in the wrong order, which I *think* is all it can do right now. If you have suggestions for more colors, lay 'em on me.

It will also refuse to launch the game if any of that stuff is wrong and show a message telling you the problem.

I've been always using both FOMM (or OBMM, NMM for TES games) and Wrye in conjunction, since most modders never bothered with BAIN installers. The three color variations you have now are one more than Wrye has even, as it doesn't show a distinctive color if the master is present but in the wrong order (it just shows red).

Other than working mods showing in green, which is kind of redundant, plugins flagged as masters could potentially show up in a different color. There is already the warning notice in the description window for that, so this would be redundant as well, but potentially helpful for larger load orders. Another suggestion is marking the missing/misplaced master in the description window with the corresponding color which can be helpful to show which master is missing for multiple masters and lots of mods in the load order.