Oh good. ANOTHER version of Skyrim

Anniversary edition.

You can fish. That's about it. I swear if it means a whole new set of mods people are gonna be pissed. That'd be 3 different versions of the engine to support.

I'm actually not going to buy this, I gave in and got SE and in fairness, it is more stable than LE and generally runs better. But seriously what could this offer

to convince people to buy it??

I don't mind paying Bethesda more money, given the enjoyment I've had from Skyrim... but I don't care about CC mods or fishing, and I do care about not messing up my current modlist. So I don't think this is for me.

But if, say, AE comes out and it's established that SE mods work with it without any problems AND it turns out there are some really great and unique CC mods available (because I've never looked at CC mods) AND intriguing mods based on AE exclusive content start showing up (I don't know, can the fishing mechanic be applied to sex somehow?) then I'll happily buy the new edition. Though I don't think that'll be the case right out of the gate, to say the least....

15 hours ago, Anunya said:

I don't mind paying Bethesda more money, given the enjoyment I've had from Skyrim... but I don't care about CC mods or fishing, and I do care about not messing up my current modlist. So I don't think this is for me.

But if, say, AE comes out and it's established that SE mods work with it without any problems AND it turns out there are some really great and unique CC mods available (because I've never looked at CC mods) AND intriguing mods based on AE exclusive content start showing up (I don't know, can the fishing mechanic be applied to sex somehow?) then I'll happily buy the new edition. Though I don't think that'll be the case right out of the gate, to say the least....

There is some nice creatures included. The zombies look great. Some new type of goblins that reminds me of the ones in Beyond Skyrim. It's the same ones. I think there's a undead dog too that looks cool.

I don't own skyrim SE edition yet. So I'm a bit conflicted if I should buy this Ann. version (probably at a stiff price) or buy the GOTY edition of Skyrim SE/Fallout4 bundle on steam for a few bucks instead. Tough choices...?

AND I don't mind giving Bethesda money either. There's no games ever that have killed more hours in my life than Skyrim. I also love their modding philosophy. Releasing CK and all that. Not many game developers do that. Most don't.

Edited by Thor2000
Wrong link
1 hour ago, endgame † addiction said:

Another gimmick edition for the fanboys to drool over.

And drool they probably will but I see it as an exercise in brand awareness to keep Skyrim - Elder Scrolls - Bethesda in the public consciousness until they sort out ESVI.

Just come across this:

"Existing owners of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition and Xbox Game Pass subscribers will also receive the option to purchase an Anniversary Edition upgrade for their Special Edition version of the game to gain access to all the additional content found in the Anniversary Edition."

Ker-ching.

https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/125398-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-anniversary-edition-announced.html

time for a new section called Skyrim XXL with Creation club support.

anyway, you never know maybe it will be awesome it's not like they let us down with SE.

hopefully it's to reinvigorate the community before Starfield and TES6 drop.

i guess we should all make the most of what we have! 

Think the main thing is whether SE stuff like SKSE will work on it, if we need a whole new set of stuff like that then i doubt uptake will be huge

If SE stuff works out of the box on the new version (AN?) then it might be worth a look depending on how much it costs, do wonder whether they are counting peeps that got SE for free due to having LE in the "existing owners" thing or whether you actually had to buy SE

A couple of point's for dicussion.

1. Zenimax don't own Bethesda anymore and look at how they sunk New Vegas and stifled production of new content.

2. Microsoft have probably invested heavily into their aquisition.

3. Skyrim will never die and both 32 and 64bit platforms are still developing.

4. T.e.s and Fallout were not Bethesda I.p's to start with. Microsoft may just see the value in the long term community and just want to attract a new Generation for the next gen game's

5. You can guarantee Anniversary is a back port of the new engine. 

6, Skyrim 76 incoming ?

On 8/21/2021 at 2:05 AM, Thor2000 said:

I don't own skyrim SE edition yet. So I'm a bit conflicted if I should buy this Ann. version (probably at a stiff price) or buy the GOTY edition of Skyrim SE/Fallout4 bundle on steam for a few bucks instead. Tough choices...?

Wait what? How don't you have SE yet? They literally gave it away to everyone with an activated copy of Skyrim on steam automatically.  Steam even, at least they used to, let you add the game to your account by entering the serial number from your boxed copy. 

Edited by IA.Echo.Hotel
clarification
4 hours ago, IA.Echo.Hotel said:

Wait what? How don't you have SE yet? They literally gave it away to everyone with an activated copy of Skyrim on steam automatically.  Steam even, at least they used to, let you add the game to your account by entering the serial number from your boxed copy. 

My LE setup is so stable and refined now that I'm really reluctant to mess with a new one. But, lately I have got into "thinking" I should probably buy a copy of SE. So there is some progress ?

On 8/20/2021 at 12:51 AM, aranious said:

Anniversary edition.

You can fish. That's about it. I swear if it means a whole new set of mods people are gonna be pissed. That'd be 3 different versions of the engine to support.

I'm actually not going to buy this, I gave in and got SE and in fairness, it is more stable than LE and generally runs better. But seriously what could this offer

to convince people to buy it??

Agreed. I use LE but find it completely pointless to develop (?) a game exactly as before. I've seen the trailers and the graphics are the same, the AI will be the same. Also, what mods will be compatible? I finished Skyrim a while ago, now I play it as a hobby, but I certainly won't buy a version of a game that wouldn't give me anything different.

It's funny I'm kinda contradicting my own points in some ways but I switched to SE about a year ago and I have to say it really is an improvement,

not so much on the game itself but certainly on the engine. I've a ton of mods installed, haven't used LOOT in god knows how long, and it's running just fine. Only had 1 CTD in about 70 hours on my current file and even then it was my own fault.

But I just can't see AE doing anything like that, personally I think they've been pushing that engine as far as it can go and FO4 (and the changes from that that were backported to SE) was the limit. I'm fine with AE being a bundle, I just really hope it isn't another "entirely new mod breaking" version, since...just...why? it took SE this long to even get close to LE's download numbers on Nexus, and even then it's still a decent gap between them. a 3rd version would surely kill any enthusiasm people have for modding right? (again, unless it introduces some spectacular new change)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 12:32 AM, aranious said:

I've a ton of mods installed, haven't used LOOT in god knows how long, and it's running just fine. Only had 1 CTD in about 70 hours on my current file and even then it was my own fault.

I hate to break it to you but all that is entirely possible with LE.

I think the anniversary edition exists so Bethesda can put butter in the spinach while Starfield is still in development.

Some naive souls think the launch date has been postponed because they want to propose the best product possible. But, come on! It's Bethesda we are talking about. They are probably in serious delay because Todd Howard pushed the team to put tens of hours in the modeling of  in game sandwiches instead of finalizing the quests.

Edited by erallor
12 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I hate to break it to you but all that is entirely possible with LE.

It is, but only with a fair bit of effort. Beyond making sure that requirements are in order I've done very little to have a stable build. with LE I spent a ton of time troubleshooting things etc. I just meant SE's engine seems a little better suited to just dumping mods on it.