So you want to make animations? - The Pose, Animation, Blender and NifSkope Tutorial Compendium

So You Want To Learn To Animate?

20130516136871323127832.png

A Compendium of Tutorials and other useful resources

Introduction:

• What this thread does - brings together the knowledge and information you'll need to learn to animate into one easy compendium.
  • What this thread doesn't do - actually teach you anything by itself.

The idea behind this thread came to me a while ago when I started getting interested in learning how to make both static poses and full on animations for Fallout New Vegas. However, it is a commonly known fact that creating animations is an incredibly difficult, time consuming and labour intensive endeavour, and that is has a particularly steep learning curve. As a result of this, before anyone attempts to carry out what amounts to a gargantuan task if, like me, you have no prior knowledge, immersing yourself in the topic, learning and getting to know the tools and ins and outs of the trade are the best way to get started.

So I decided to first put together and collate all the relevant information I could find, and so the idea for this thread was born. Here, I have tried to compile a list of tutorials, threads, individual posts, links and youtube videos that aim to aid a user with no prior knowledge of making animations. I have done this with Fallout New Vegas and Sexout in mind, though a lot of the stuff seems to be cross-compatible with Oblivion and Skyrim (to some extent!) but don't take my word on this. 

The aim of this thread is, really, to make it easy for the first time user without having to browse upwards of six different forums, across a number of pages and different posts and threads, to find information that is incredibly useful but simply gets buried over time and forgotten. I do hope this comes in handy for anyone thinking of making new animations. It also includes a number of miscellaneous functions, scripts, FAQ's and so on that people may find useful.

Basic Tutorials: 

Advanced functions, scripts, tools and miscellaneous:

• Blender: How to make it work with KF and nif. Files: A short tutorial by Firedoom on getting certain nif files to work with Blender/Python/Nifscripts.
  • Blender – Bone Weight Copy Script: A Blender script by Gerra which does a good job of speeding up the process and ensuring better quality for the otherwise difficult to match weight painting, such as breasts or butts with significant size differences.
  • Control Vertex Normals in Blender: Another tool by Gerra which copies normals from selected vertices on the source object to selected vertices on the destination object(s) that match location. This allows you to modify normals in a reference mesh and then copy those normals to a destination mesh.
  • Blender Script – Seam Mender: Another tool by Gerra which "mends seams.1. Snaps selected vertices on your selected meshes to exactly match the position of the selected vertices on your active mesh. 2. Replaces the boneweights on those vertices to exactly match the boneweights on the active mesh (not averaged like the boneweight copy script) 3. Set the vertex normals to exactly match the vertex normals on the active mesh.
  • Tutorial: Object-space normal maps: A tutorial by b3lisario on how to add detail to your body / face / hands textures, like scars, wounds, veins, muscles, etc.
  • Clothing Bodytype Converter: Another useful Blender script by Gerra with the goal of of automatically generating permanent lattices that can quickly and easily convert clothing from one body style to another.
  • Pose Converter – Converting one pose/armature from one game to another: An incredible suite of Blender tools by Gerra designed to simplify and automate many animation related tasks. The latest update simplifies and streamlines the process of converting animations from one game or armature to another. At things currently stand, if you can port an animation and its armature into Blender, you can port it to any other armature with a vaguely similar structure.
  • Blender – Automatic Rigging Tool: Another tool by Gerra. This tool automates the rigging/weightpainting of any mesh (or part of mesh) with a reasonably linear primary axis.

Sexout Related:

Where Else To Look:

• The Internet: Self-explanatory, really. 
  • The LoversLab Modders Resource Forum: Where I pulled a lot of this information from to begin with. Lots of useful topics and the place to ask questions.
  • The LoversLab Technical Support Forum: Same as above, though more general in nature.
  • The LoversLab Tutorial and Guides Forum: An absolutely indispensable area for anybody wanting to learn how to do anything other than the most basic modding. 
  • Sexout Related Animation: Beck11's Animation Project FNV thread has huge amounts of detail into the ins and outs of animation modding and inclusion into Sexout. Anyone interested in animating for Sexout should start there.
  • Browsing The Individual Forums: I couldn't possible list all the different forum areas here for this sort of stuff, sufice to say you should check things like the Oblivion, Fallout and Skyrim sections (and respective technical support areas) if you're looking for anything in particular.

Notice:

I would really appreciate any further links, material, content or anything else both users and modders think would be useful here. I've aimed to present as much information possible for the aspiring modder without him/her having to trek through a number of different forums and threads to find the information they need. 

Therefore, please feel free to contact me with anything you think should be included here.

nice! i m very interessed by this ... ^^ not for make sex animation and all (too complex for me) ^^ but at least, if i can make an personnal idle for my character, thats should be a good start ^^

thanks alots ^^

i m very bad at computer programming/scriptting/etc.. stuff :(

Ha, just made today?  Not bad timing on my part!  

Question, maybe you found this and maybe you didn't.  I'm looking for a tutorial on how to make the nif files for object poses (for the objects themselves).

I've made this pose: 
241581-1368760006.jpg

But the coffee cup was posed using setpos and tfc 1. I'd like to learn how to do the objects.  I've messaged lostrider who made Few Poses More, but seems like only him and Backsteppo who is pretty much inactive actually know how to do this part of things.  

If you saw one in there awesome.  If not then if I learn how myself I'll write up the tutorial and post it here as well for the compendium.

Wow, that's such a weird coincidence. In the "what this thread doesn't do" part I was going to originally write "It doesn't make you coffee!" Damn you and your coffee cup nif request, I knew I should have followed my gut lol.

I don't think I came across any tutorials for that, and even if I had, I probably would not have noticed it, or even known what it did. All I did was put everything together, understanding how everything worked was an entirely different matter!

In any case, I know who can help, and I'll direct them to you.

As far as I know, the way to make a "prop" is to make it like any body mesh. You create your model, rig it to the skeleton, weight paint it, then export as NIF. Once exported, that NIF is used as the mesh for an Animated Object record (ANIO) which requires a NIF for the object and an animation record (IDLE) for what animation the prop is automatically added to when that IDLE is used. All the "dick" props in Sexout use this method. As an example, for each Ghoul animation that needs a dick prop, one ANIO record is created to create a prop for each IDLE record that needs it. They all use the same NIF file.

The weight painting for props is generally simple, you rig the prop to ONE bone and then apply 100% weight painting for that bone.

See, that was my basic assumption, but looking at the object pose nifs for the props, and thinking about the way they behave in the game, I wasn't sure that was actually the case.  

I didn't see any animation branches in the nif record.  When something is rigged to an animated skeleton, the branch for each mesh piece has a list of the bones that are referenced in that mesh piece.  But the nif files for the prob objects don't.  Granted, I only looked very quickly this morning, so perhaps I missed it.

Second, they don't move in-game specifically in relation to the skeleton.  I suppose they do to some extent, because they'll move as the character has to change angles, etc.  but if you don't do tfik, for instance, often times the prop doesn't line up right.  With the hand and a gun, for instance, the screwy foot collisions make it so the gun is like 3 inches above the hand.  

Is it possible to weight something to the central bone (I don't know what its proper name, is it the scene root?)?  There's the one that, if you're making a lying or standing pose, you have to adjust the rotation and height or no matter what you do your character is straight up.  

Dunno if that made any sense, I'm not near my modding computer right now.  

Anyway, I'll play a little more under some of these assumptions when I get home.  I do know about the single bone weight concept, though.  It's the only way to simulate a hard, non-flexible object in an outfit.  

Like a barrel. :D

241581-1318458974.jpg

"Bip01 Pelvis" should be the bone you need. that's the bone used to translate/rotate the entire body .

EDIT: If you look at data/meshes/creatures/ghoul/penisprop.nif, that's the dick prop used in ANIO records for each ghoul IDLE anim. The NiStringExtraData block in the nif details what bone it's attached to... in this case it's "Bip01 Pelvis".

I don't use sexout, sorry. Heresy, I know, but I just get by with an extract of a bunch of wsex anims that I made an esp for myself. Lol, I barely play New Vegas at all anymore, I just make clothes mods, take pictures, and make comics and stories.  :cool:

If you wanted to upload that nif so I could look at it, though, I'd definitely use it for reference.

Well, they're not the same.  Pic for comparison.  You can see the differences between the two branches coming out of the scene root.  

nifcomparison_zps2695c3e0.jpg

It seems like the object prop is setup more like a static object, as opposed to the sex prop, which is pretty much just a standard outfit piece, designed to move as the animation moves.  

Really gonna have to write my own tutorial for this if I ever figure it out.  It's just not out there at all.  

Edit:  And hot damn if I didn't figure it out!  Extracted the coffee mug nif file from the BSA archive and deleted the collision data.  Imported it in with my pose setup, lined it up with the pose to fit right, deleted the skeleton, and then just exported it again as a non-animated, non-collision, static object.  Works like a charm!

See, I would have just inserted a new NiStringExtraData key and changed the root to AnimObjectRoot instead of Scene Root in nifskope. Though that would likely hose the translation/rotation in relation to the bone. Glad you found a workflow that works though hehe :)

EDIT: I spent so much time in nifskope making my compatability skeleton for NV that I much prefer to find a solution in nifskope before resorting to going through the re-export process from Blender... though I don't mind using Blender either.

I am looking for a tutorial for blender witch shows how to make dynamic breast movements. Not what we currently can like rotate or move more like a deform when you grab a breast part your fingers will be able to deform the breast itself. Kind of like the picture i seen in skyrim mod for loadscreen.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/17148-sexy-loadscreensupdated-51613-now-fullscreened/?do=findComment&comment=391388

• 4 months later...

I am looking for a tutorial for blender witch shows how to make dynamic breast movements. Not what we currently can like rotate or move more like a deform when you grab a breast part your fingers will be able to deform the breast itself. Kind of like the picture i seen in skyrim mod for loadscreen.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/17148-sexy-loadscreensupdated-51613-now-fullscreened/?do=findComment&comment=391388

if you're talking about the pose with the troll and the elf-girl, I'm guessing that's done in Poser, not in Skyrim or Fallout.  I doubt that what you're looking for is even going to be possible.  

• 4 weeks later...

Is there currently a tutorial on how to add objects to an animation ?? What i need is only the procedure on how to import it what settings and exporting it again what settings ??

What i mean by objects is something like bat, chair, bed etc, objects. Everything considered an object by fallout standards.

Is there currently a tutorial on how to add objects to an animation ?? What i need is only the procedure on how to import it what settings and exporting it again what settings ??

What i mean by objects is something like bat, chair, bed etc, objects. Everything considered an object by fallout standards.

I dont think there is a way for adding an object into an animation into one, unless it was intended as an animated object. 

Perhaps you asking about how object/animated object is being used with certain animation inside the game. Kinda rusty with G.E.C.K, but as far i remember, you have to add your choosen object and set it into animation that you want. Vanilla animation (mopping, smoking, drink and eat) and pose mod like FO3 Backsteppo's Object pose and LostRider's pose mod using the exact same way.

Did you check Jonas' tutorial? It's on the Nexus, he linked it few posts ago. Maybe it's what you are looking for?

• 11 months later...

are there any alternatives to blender? i keep getting a weird error when i try to import a nif, and i followed to guide TO THE LETTER....

file :C:\python26\lib\xml\sax\__init__.py , line 93, inmake_parser raise saxreadernotavailable<"no parsers found", none> xml.sax._exceptions.saxreadernotavailable: no parsers found                           :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

HI all, i need a true and seriously help here, i hav seen and folowed many tutorials "how to make skyrim sexy/cute" out there, i did many things, moded so many times, but no mather wat i do, i cant do a proper modded game to work, 1st time i got game crashes using armors, 2nd i got no physic wit HTD extension or HTD breast / butt physics, these i did only possible instaling "I love cleavage" mod, but yet, HTD hairs got stretched, or stuk were i select it, 3rd time i couldnt make bodysliders in racemenu to work with remodeled CBBE armors HTD... wen i get a light i had already deleted all... the number of infinite mods for every taste contributes to a lack of full step by step tutorials (i see like 3)  im a week without playing, just boring myself im my room trying to make things work.. following old (2013 - ) tutorials, instaling not necessary things (cuz newest mods dont need some sidekiks mods and things like this) 

Im tired of doing this and goig nowere.. I feel like tearing my hair furiously ...So... i need a light... i rly need help, i know wat i want, but i dont know the proper instaling order, the options to chose from every mod for best compatibility, so i rly need a step by step tutorial up to date wit newest mods patchs, here is wat id like to have: 

-skse
-FNIS
-Skyui
-racemenu 
- for body texture i liked the CBBE
-for armors i liked remodeled armors for CBBE HTD, but im opem to try other more skympi and that affects all vanilla armors.. (i dont know how much armors the "I love cleavege" affects but i loved it, rly...)
-skim i liked sporty sweet sexy ..
-face i tried CBBE default one and univision (but loked like a child not matching the gordeous body)

-animation dragonfly wit butt bounce (i liked it, rum to cam but i deleted the idlle file to stay wit FNIS sexy idle animation and it worked well toghether) and Pretty jump animation

-i would like a working in game racemenu sliders for bot the armors and nude body

-the phonytail fron skyrim hair physics project is good for me.

This is basicly wat i want.. order of instalation, how to instal properly, options to pic wem instaling, and results other than trow my pc to the 1st floor....  i use mod organizer, im opem to all non listed above mods that help my skyrim looks great (not graphyc mods, cuz i rum a low end pc)
 Also thanks in advantage, srry my english.. hope some blessed soul helps me...

• 1 month later...

Hello. Your Blinder and NifSkope instructions aren't very accurate. For one. There is no "Ok" button in Blinder. For training noons. Specifications are a must. An elevated example of buttons through pictorial works. Showing what buttons to push. Is a good way of showing that your knowledge is accurate. As illustrated manuals have always been the best instructive resource.

• 9 months later...

:s I hope to have some help from those who work on blender 2.49b

Its going to do 2 years that i do not have to install it all, or it is done there is always a problem to start working.

My head will explode to force to make tests and have to reinstall everything every time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:s First I put here the picture of the bug to import the mesh with the frame of the error

17020802212719481414832332.jpg

Before I tested installed on blenders 2.50 or more because of the better interface, but I still had a problem of scripts, nifscope worked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now i have to reinstall everything so that its running on blender 2.49b and i have this problem, nifscope makes this error every time has to try to import.

Its begins to become ridiculously laughable.

Decidedly one would say that something follows me and blocks me whenever I arrive near the goal.

So if you know this problem tell me please, I have all the tools and good versions even the locations of the files and some preset parameters .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:dodgy: If not that someone would have resources (ready to use on blender) to share so I can start making animations its would be nice.

Need (horse mesh + genital - female body mesh) and items  - hay bale - nice fence and torture table

17020803385619481414832339.jpg

17020803385519481414832338.jpg

• 5 years later...