General discussion

1 hour ago, EJAX said:

I don't know anything about how this forum software works, but... Was there no way to break the Addons section down into sub-categories? 'Cuz that looks like it's going to get REAL MESSY, REAL QUICK!

I did a quick check.

Under the "Game and Updates" topic, I (You?) can "Start new topic", but not under "Addons" or "Textures", This might be an oversight when those forums were created that (probably) only someone with "Above Moderator" privileges can correct.

I hope that modsgarden comes back but doesn't seem to be happening and doesn't seem that we are getting the full picture from those in control of their DB

In the absence of any news or progress on modsgarden I'm willing, when I have 5 mins, to press ahead and start a new vBulletin forum, but would welcome help and funds and assistant mods. vBulletin not too expensive but hosting might become expensive eventually, and it would obviosuly have to be carefully protected through hosting from litigation threat from the "real game" creators.

Open and happy to debate everyone's ideas and needs, so feel free to say if you have a different conception as to how it should look but my philosophy would be

- v.7.5 should be an archive part of forum only and all mods in main board should be VX "certified"

- no paid content except in the "user created" section where promotions allowed

- hook content could either have its own seperate section or be a subtree of each mod section

I can't remember the complete structure of modsgarden and it needs rationalising anyway but I picture something like this (again input welcome):

GAME downloads and install

-        VX

-        VX install help, advice and questions

-        VX modded/packaged versions

-        V7.5 Archive only

- v7.5 Archive help and mods

GAME HELP AND ADVICE

-        VX help, questions welcome

-        VX hook5 specific help

VX MODS

-        Models

- Real Models

- User created models

- Male models

- Other models (fantasy/hentai)

- Rooms

- Replacer rooms

- Room addons

- Room ActiveMod skins

- Poses

- VX Sex Poses, incl foursome

- VX Masturbation and oral poses

- VX Lesbian poses

- VX other poses incl fetish

- Clothing (replacer or addon)

- Stockings

- Lingerie

- Shoes

- Day Clothing (dresses/blouses etc)

- Male

- Make-up, Jewellery, Glasses and Tattoos

- Face and body addons

- Toys

- Sequences

GAME MANAGEMENT PROGS AND OTHER BASE GAME ADDONS

HOOK5

-        Pervo hook5 development

-        Hook5 specific addons

- subforums

USER CREATED CONTENT may incl Patreon links here only

OFF TOPIC

11 hours ago, OysterMug said:

I did a quick check.

Under the "Game and Updates" topic, I (You?) can "Start new topic", but not under "Addons" or "Textures", This might be an oversight when those forums were created that (probably) only someone with "Above Moderator" privileges can correct.

So there was.  The Addon and Textures sections are not really topic sections. They are sections designed for folks to share their addons and files.  Think of it like a file repository.  It is not designed for discussion.

This is where it gets dicey as I mentioned this a couple of months ago.  You can either basically just make another discussion thread for folks to upload their addons and textures which IMO is not as clean but puts things in a single spot or rely on tagging and the search feature for folks to find what they need.

One of the issues I know I had with the Garden was simply way too much categories and being confused where exactly to find something.  There is not that much content but sometimes it is buried under pages and pages of discussion post.  Here with the Files feature you simply have much more options on how to store your mod, including versioning the addon or texture in place.  The downsides are categories.  Categories are available in the main LoversLab download sections but not in clubs.

21 minutes ago, hdiddy said:

They are sections designed for folks to share their addons and files.  Think of it like a file repository.  It is not designed for discussion.

I was thinking in terms of a file repository. I can understand why you wouldn't want the general public creating their own threads in there, but some fixed categories like, toys, rooms, bodies, etc would make it easier to find things, no? I totally get it if the only option is "create subgroups on/off", meaning everybody or nobody.

20 minutes ago, EJAX said:

I was thinking in terms of a file repository. I can understand why you wouldn't want the general public creating their own threads in there, but some fixed categories like, toys, rooms, bodies, etc would make it easier to find things, no? I totally get it if the only option is "create subgroups on/off", meaning everybody or nobody.

I want to say the site mods have the ability to turn things off and on. For example I read in the community post if you want to limit search to just the club they will have to enable it.  So there might be some things we can do, we shall see once one of the admins gets back to me.  I think limiting search to just the club may be a good idea as some people may not always tag exactly as it needs to be tagged.

10 hours ago, hdiddy said:

I think limiting search to just the club may be a good idea as some people may not always tag exactly as it needs to be tagged.

Well, that's just it: I don't know what "tags" to look for in the first place. If I know the name of a mod, it's usually because I already have it on my hard drive. Outside of that, I'm just browsing. How do I search for something I don't even know I want yet on a single page that contains everything under the sun? I realize there's only so much you can do. I just 'feel" there ought to be a drop-down of some sort. :)

That's OK, there's only like 5 addons ATM anyway... Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud. :)

I'm really more interested in what qualifies as a n addon in the first place. I have some stuff that people might find intersting -- neat tricks with the toymaker-- But they're just that: tricks. If I were running the site, I probably wouldn't want people uploading a bunch of stuff like that, unless I had subcategory named "Junk". PLUS, I only have zippyshare. Links go dead if they don't keep getting hits (another reason why I rarely post anything). I had enough trouble keeping S3 resuscitated (obviously a highly popular thread lol).

2 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Another Quick poll (for my software development):

Anyone still using a resolution of 1280x768 (aka 720p) or below?

You mean 1280x720? Not for work purposes. But for the sake of online storage, that's what my finished movies usually end up being. Why. Plotting a new interface?

52 minutes ago, EJAX said:

You mean 1280x720? Not for work purposes. But for the sake of online storage, that's what my finished movies usually end up being. Why. Plotting a new interface?

No. 1280x768. (1280x720 is SD television.)

I've rewritten "OutfitSwapper" for compatibility with VX (still compatible with 7.5!) and now have the option of making the interface small enough to fit on a smaller screen. But I'd rather keep it big enough for 4K users than scale it down for SD users.

51 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

No. 1280x768. (1280x720 is SD television.)

I've rewritten "OutfitSwapper" for compatibility with VX (still compatible with 7.5!) and now have the option of making the interface small enough to fit on a smaller screen. But I'd rather keep it big enough for 4K users than scale it down for SD users.

See, that's why I wish they would have used the standard Windows API. Resizable windows would be a welcome option -- especially with the key editor!

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, BUT.. The "P" in the name refers to the height. 1280x720 is 720p, the first official HD standard (hence the 720). SD television is 240+ scanlines, interlaced. The way analog works, there are no actual pixels to measure. But because the most video data the analog signal can carry is 480 lines (240 x 2), digitally it is referred to as  480p, but can be anything from 640 x 480 to 720 x 540 - VGA is the former -- DVD generally uses the latter.

Can you tell I work with video a lot? lol

1 hour ago, OysterMug said:

But I'd rather keep it big enough for 4K users than scale it down for SD users.

Depending on what OS you prefer, I would reccomend the lower res option; because it is possible to scale up the windows (at least on windows 7 and above) by changing the general windows scaling. I have mine set at 125%, just because I'm blind. If I want to maintain the standard interface on something, then I have to exclude it in the compatibility settings. The klub, I try to keep things as small as possible, even though it makes it harder to click things; so it gets an exemption. Personal preference.

If I knew how to change those things, I would totally rearrange this program. I might figure it out some day (if I ever get around to it). lol

Height / Width scale sliders possible, through maybe an .ini file? (serious question, I have no clue). Could do an entire interface mod.

1 hour ago, EJAX said:

See, that's why I wish they would have used the standard Windows API. Resizable windows would be a welcome option -- especially with the key editor!

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, BUT.. The "P" in the name refers to the height.

Fortunately, "OutfitSwapper" is a standalone app. It does not run inside TK17 so it isn't restricted by the programs' GUI.

And actually, the "P" stands for "Progressive" (the scan method.) ;)

"OutfitSwapper" is a Windows app since TK is a Windows program to begin with. No point in writing it for an OS that can't run TK17.

On the scaling, Windows only scales the text, not graphic objects. There is no "easy" way to double the size of a GUI and all objects on high-rez screens. I use "Visual Studio" to write my apps and have contacted the VS Development Team about adding an option to automatically double the size of an app so it is readable on high-rez screens.

46 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

And actually, the "P" stands for "Progressive" (the scan method.) ;)

Yes, I know that. And "I" stands for interlaced; meaning 480i is 240x2 interlaced. De-interlaced it's 480p; better known in computer circles as VGA. After that I get confused (EVGA, XVGA, SVGA, etc...). I suppose I could Google it, if I really, really, REALLY want to have this argument! lol

I did say "The"P"" though, didn't I? MY BAD! I meant the number BEFORE the p :)

"There is no "easy" way to double the size of a GUI and all objects on high-rez screens."  

Yes there is, actually... display.jpg.3545234d17f9da50c11f675755aa9e45.jpg

But I get what you're saying.

"No point in writing it for an OS that can't run TK17. "

As I understand it, quite a few people run it in WINE. Marburg, and I think Avarteas, to name a couple.. Personally, I only know enough about Linux to know I don't like it, so I don't know what its options are. I was just speculating..

Speaking of Avarteas, did someone forget to message him? I haven't seen him yet.

13 minutes ago, EJAX said:

"There is no "easy" way to double the size of a GUI and all objects on high-rez screens."  

Yes there is, actually... display.jpg.3545234d17f9da50c11f675755aa9e45.jpg

That was the method I was thinking of. I didn't think it resized graphics too. Interesting.

It would be nice to be able to resize an app w/o resizing everything else though. Increasing the scale should not do the same thing as reducing your monitor's resolution.

18 minutes ago, OysterMug said:

It would be nice to be able to resize an app w/o resizing everything else though. Increasing the scale should not do the same thing as reducing your monitor's resolution.

Ideally, it'd like it to be CTRL+MouseWheel, like in a browser window.  But I guess you can't have everything.

1 hour ago, OysterMug said:

That was the method I was thinking of. I didn't think it resized graphics too. Interesting.

It does, and it doesn't... For regular interface graphics it resizes everything, but it ignores whatever is in a 3D window, so that will always be whatever size your screen resolution is set to. So you can make stuff in high-res and feel like you're working in low-res. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I tried running TK17 in 4k a few times, but I had to turn the scaler up so high that it defeated the purpose. Then it was just dragging my machine down for nothing, because not only am I going to re-scale everything back down to 1080p (or lower), I do mostly images, and a CTRL+SHIFT+P captures way over 4k anyhow. Besides... I grew up on SD TV, so I'm used to it. And 2), I'm going blind so I can't see the difference anyway! (They said, "if I didn't stop that"....). The only way 4k really makes any sense to me is if you're sitting like two feet away from a 65" TV, and you want to have 30 windows spread across it. I don't have a super-computer, so that's really a non-starter.