General discussion

The MG mods threat this(and others) kind of problem like a top secret project and we "the mundane" are too "dull" to be kept informed.

Shame on them.

How often do I have to answer the same question?

They are working on it. The Garden will be back as soon as possible. There's nothing more to say at this point.

Shame on you for not listening.

58 minutes ago, Marburg said:

How often do I have to answer the same question?

They are working on it. The Garden will be back as soon as possible. There's nothing more to say at this point.

Shame on you for not listening.

I was not talking to you. The post is for MG mods but i doubt they answer because their communication skill is not so great.

I go on record...AGAIN in stating that numerous times in the past I have offered to foot the bill for the domain name and server space. But no one on the team has ever taken me up on the offer. I'm not looking for a title or status, I'm just looking to keep the ship above water. But...they play things way to close to the chest. And I'm an experienced net admin who runs THREE forums myself.

The offer still stands.

Seeing as this is a general discussion page I'm Just curious as to why most modders use such low rez images for their in-game items. Granted, I have an ultra high end spec system and replace all my npc & room textures anyway, but even a potato should be able to run an image larger than 256x256 without bogging down. Some of the uploaded images are jarring with the difference between the ultra high def 8k models and the 16x16 pixel, 10,000 vertex background objects.

I know the Minecraft look is a style, but it really doesn't look good mixed with photo-realistic models.

7 minutes ago, nikoli grimm said:

Seeing as this is a general discussion page I'm Just curious as to why most modders use such low rez images for their in-game items. Granted, I have an ultra high end spec system and replace all my npc & room textures anyway, but even a potato should be able to run an image larger than 256x256 without bogging down. Some of the uploaded images are jarring with the difference between the ultra high def 8k models and the 16x16 pixel background objects.

I can answer that question for you easily: loading time. You have to remember, the software is almost 15 years old...running on a 32bit capacity. Your rig might be able to handle it, (as can my own. I've got a fucking beast) but the OS only uses a fraction of memory capacity to run the game, even in it's current high powered state. Marburg can better explain the inner workings, but there is a 64bit version in development. Once that's out...such issues will be a thing of the past.

2 hours ago, boomshanka said:

Why not start one? I'd much prefer something that works. I imagine others would too.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or overstep any boundaries. Namely because if I started my own forum, a LOT of things that happen on MG would be no-go's on my forum, such as internal mod and image hosting.

18 minutes ago, Oz70NYC said:

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or overstep any boundaries. Namely because if I started my own forum, a LOT of things that happen on MG would be no-go's on my forum, such as internal mod and image hosting.

Unfortunate, those are the two things I like best about MG. Having to go to another page, that occasionally requires you to become a member of their site to upload/download something is annoying to put it mildly...

Whats the saying? ...Has 12 open browsers, 3 of them frozen, and still doesn't know where the music is coming from...

You wouldn't need to go far. Postimg.cc or Imagebam to host images, MEGA or Mediafire to host files (mods, textures etc.). Internal hosting sucks up bandwidth. Having lots of allocated bandwidth costs money. So unless you'd be willing to donate money to maintain high bandwidth, the only alternative is to host content externally.

to be honest i dont know that much more but i can confirm that the current 32 bit game is limited to 4G memory minus all the cr@p the operating system is running in the background. Even on my potatoe PC with Win7, the OS takes around 1 Gigabyte.

And until the 64 bit engine has been cracked we're stuck with this frustrating limit.

A fully loaded game demands a lot of memory. Rooms and room textures are just part of the equation. Don't discount Toys and Poses.

HQ Skins are a big memory drain so for some it probably makes sense to use the scarce memory for the models and not the room textures.

1 hour ago, Marburg said:

A fully loaded game demands a lot of memory

That's just it, I'm running with four 2k models, in complicated poses, a half dozen or more lights, in a room with 100+ hook5 objects, all of the textures upgraded from what I originally downloaded (or at least re-textured and norm. and spec. optimized), and still rarely drop below 50 frames a second even with the 4G memory limitations.

Granted, I have a custom built gaming rig, and it usually takes my game a little over a minute to load a scene.  I won't use an 8k bar of soap texture when there's no visual difference between 8192 and 512, but a there's a vast difference between 512x512 and 16x16 .

1 hour ago, nikoli grimm said:

Seeing as this is a general discussion page I'm Just curious as to why most modders use such low rez images for their in-game items. Granted, I have an ultra high end spec system and replace all my npc & room textures anyway, but even a potato should be able to run an image larger than 256x256 without bogging down. Some of the uploaded images are jarring with the difference between the ultra high def 8k models and the 16x16 pixel, 10,000 vertex background objects.

I know the Minecraft look is a style, but it really doesn't look good mixed with photo-realistic models.

lol Hope I'm not one of those modders. But come on, hook5 makes everything look good.

My general ideology is to treat all the same and to maximize the performance and stability of my mods. Sure, I can slap in a 2K texture but why waste disk space if at the end I'll be using hook5 and activemod textures. In other words, when I make mods, the lower I get them to be, the better and faster I get the game to load, HDD won't be bloated, and people are able to download my mods quicker.

3 hours ago, Marburg said:

to be honest i dont know that much more but i can confirm that the current 32 bit game is limited to 4G memory minus all the cr@p the operating system is running in the background. Even on my potatoe PC with Win7, the OS takes around 1 Gigabyte.

And until the 64 bit engine has been cracked we're stuck with this frustrating limit.

A fully loaded game demands a lot of memory. Rooms and room textures are just part of the equation. Don't discount Toys and Poses.

HQ Skins are a big memory drain so for some it probably makes sense to use the scarce memory for the models and not the room textures.

Yes and no.  I think if you are running the game with nothing else that is true.  However if you are running the game with Hook there is a significantly higher RAM usage.  For me bumping my ram to 32GB seemed to drastically reduce how often the game crashes to desktop.

with Hook there is a significantly higher RAM usage.

of course... Hook is another application running concurrently. And i'm fairly certain Hook is not constrained by the 32bit / 4G limits.

But if i run Hook, my FPS drops to around 5. And that's Hook 3, not version 5 :(