Opinions of The Witcher Series on Netflix?

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

If you look at Anna Shaffer there is a decent likeness to Triss and I did seem to notice that her hair has a reddish tint in some scenes. I just think they need to make her look younger. Sorry Anna.

there are other discrepancies, nothing against black skin color, I am not a racist, but a Black Fringilla makes me wonder. :classic_wink:

mqdefault.jpg

Spoiler

I believe i'm in the wrong movie. :classic_laugh:

26 minutes ago, winny257 said:

there are other discrepancies, nothing against black skin color, I am not a racist, but a Black Fringilla makes me wonder. :classic_wink:

mqdefault.jpg

I'm with you, Im not racist, definetly not a racist thing but always the biggest problem for me with any kind of "adaptations" in general. Triss and Fringilla (and that black soldier) are the biggest immersion break, just small details and it may sound fussy but i really appreciate fidelity to the lore, it's a good show though

- Whoever designed the Nilfgaardian Armor should be sent to jail, that thing is a crime against humanity.

- Triss played a pretty boring role, zero personality and the actress doesn't look like Triss, at all.

- I found Yennefer a bit too much of an angsty teenager. She didn't have much development and was the same after 'two or three lifetimes', as she said in the last episode. I also found her monologue with the dead baby pretty cringe tbh, lamenting about how us poor womens have it hard despite her being a powerful mage that has probably more freedom than 99.9% of the population, female or male. Her shitty childhood was due to her being a cripple, not because she was a girl. For me at least it was feminism of the wealthy liberal fainting couch variety being shoehorned into the script and not much else. Funny how they choose one of the most powerful females in the world to hold that speech instead some peasant girl with nothing.

- Geralt was pretty dope tho, too bad he didn't have enough screentime for my liking

- Boobs

I also didn't like how the mages were portrayed in the series. Granted I've only played the games but the mages there are a scheming bunch, always playing their own little games without regard to anything else. The series made them look like Hogwarts, they've shown the audience way too much for my liking.

I had no problem with Triss. The series is based on the books, and in the books - at least the first five or so that I've read - Triss is a side character with chestnut hair, which is exactly what we got. In the short stories this first season is based on, she barely even gets mentioned.

Anyway, I went to bed a couple of nights ago and decided to stream the first episode to see what it was like. The next thing I knew the series was over, it was seven in the morning, and I hadn't managed any sleep. I really enjoyed it. I did feel it was a bit disjointed at times, but they nailed the atmosphere, Geralt was excellent, Yennefer outstanding, Jaskier was good comic relief, and Calanthe stole every scene she was in. I also really liked how Geralt sighed and said fuck every time something went wrong. It kept making me giggle.

11 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

I also didn't like how the mages were portrayed in the series. Granted I've only played the games but the mages there are a scheming bunch, always playing their own little games without regard to anything else. The series made them look like Hogwarts, they've shown the audience way too much for my liking.

I have a feeling there will be much more scheming in the second season by the mages. They did have some insults to throw at each other during a few gatherings and circumstance sort of forced them to have to work together. I think their portrayal was quite realistic since they all want more power and are jealous of each other. They only cooperate when they are threatened as a whole while normally they are happy to fuck each other over it seems.

9 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I have a feeling there will be much more scheming in the second season by the mages. They did have some insults to throw at each other during a few gatherings and circumstance sort of forced them to have to work together. I think their portrayal was quite realistic since they all want more power and are jealous of each other.

I don't think the mages are salvageable, too much has been given away already. Like I said, I've only played the games, didn't read the books, so I don't know how much of the mages' scheming is laid bare there, but I liked them specifically because they were an alien, powerful entity in the world, working from the shadows, disguising themselves as advisors for kings. The kings obviously knew they were being manipulated, so it was a game so far removed from what Geralt experienced on a day to day basis that it felt kinda real, you know? It helps that the games stick to Geralt's perspective, whereas the show wants to give other characters the spotlight, often showing the audience stuff Geralt has no way of knowing. It comes with the medium, I guess, but better writing would've been able to maintain the mystery with a big pay off at the end. Meanwhile the whole fuckery with the different timelines was only there to show that Ciri and Geralt were pretty close to each other all along, which was pretty anti climactic in itself.

45 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Meanwhile the whole fuckery with the different timelines was only there to show that Ciri and Geralt were pretty close to each other all along, which was pretty anti climactic in itself.

Aye, they did kind of pound the "destiny" aspect into the ground. :classic_tongue:

I think I get what you are saying about the mages. You want to have to guess what they're up to rather than have it spelled out for you. Perhaps they did it that way to ease newbies into the story? Idk. They can still salvage it I think. Will they? is another question. The introduction of some new characters in the story next season could change things up quite a bit. The writer(s) seem to be loose enough with the adaptation to have some room to maneuver, though, that can be a double edged sword.

1 hour ago, Ruffled Pigeon said:

wmg.jpg.676a721b41e5aa40b2e7efdff96d5b4a.jpg

into the trash it goes lmao

My word... Who the fuck did the casting for this? I know next to nothing about the witcher franchise (why is it even called the witcher anyway? That sounds so weird. It's like saying mager instead of mage or something lol) but even a blind can see that the casting had an agenda. Lmao especially the third one. I can say, just by looking at character design Henry Cavill looks the closest to the dude in the game.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:

My word... Who the fuck did the casting for this? I know next to nothing about the witcher franchise (why is it even called the witcher anyway? That sounds so weird. It's like saying mager instead of mage or something lol) but even a blind can see that the casting had an agenda. Lmao especially the third one. I can say, just by looking at character design Henry Cavill looks the closest to the dude in the game.

It's just a play with old european folklore. I don't know if the word 'witcher' really exists in english, but the author initially choose the german word 'hexer' but 'witcher' was the word that stuck with Geralt. A witch in folklore can be good or bad, they're usually not using flashy magic but using herbs, alchemy and curses or at least have a good understanding of them and how to break them. Witchers can use some magic signs but can't cast the spells like the mages do and they're using their wit, knowledge, alchemy and training to deal with the supernatural. It makes plenty of sense if you think about it, in my opinion. Especially since Geralt often has a more chill, rational and even sympathetic attitude towards many monsters, especially if they're intelligent or the result of curses. A normal person would lash out in fear but Geralt, like the witches in folklore, can often see behind what appears to be the obvious truth.

14 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

It's just a play with old european folklore. I don't know if the word 'witcher' really exists in english, but the author initially choose the german word 'hexer' but 'witcher' was the word that stuck with Geralt. A witch in folklore can be good or bad, they're usually not using flashy magic but using herbs, alchemy and curses or at least have a good understanding of them and how to break them. Witchers can use some magic signs but can't cast the spells like the mages do and they're using their wit, knowledge, alchemy and training to deal with the supernatural. It makes plenty of sense if you think about it, in my opinion. Especially since Geralt often has a more chill, rational and even sympathetic attitude towards many monsters, especially if they're intelligent or the result of curses. A normal person would lash out in fear but Geralt, like the witches in folklore, can often see behind what appears to be the obvious truth.

So you mean witchers don't hunt witches? From your description it seems that witchers have the weaknesses of both witches and mages with no special advantages, like, they aren't experts at witchcraft like the witches nor experts at magic like the mages. lmao

1 hour ago, Ruffled Pigeon said:

wmg.jpg.676a721b41e5aa40b2e7efdff96d5b4a.jpg

into the trash it goes lmao

Hmm. If the bottom row showed the actresses actually in-role, the criticism of Yennefer would completely fall apart, as she perfectly matches the description. Triss isn't that different either, other than not having blue eyes - and accepting that beauty is subjective. Fringilla is, obviously, wildly different.

1 hour ago, Mr.Otaku said:

So you mean witchers don't hunt witches? From your description it seems that witchers have the weaknesses of both witches and mages with no special advantages, like, they aren't experts at witchcraft like the witches nor experts at magic like the mages. lmao

Like I said, the inspiration comes from early european folklore witches, not the modern ones with a big nose, pointy hats and flying brooms. A witcher is the male interpretation of a witch.

14 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That's why nobody trusts or likes witchers.

No i meant the concept of the whole witchers and stuff, seems kinda weird. But if you mean in story people don't like witchers then that makes it even weirder. Like, from what i know from a friend and some snippets of info on the franchise here and there, they kill monsters and stuff. It's kinda stupid to demonize someone like that and risk having a rouge one who goes from city to city massacring everyone cause he had enough or something i dunno.

5 hours ago, Mr.Otaku said:

Geralt doesn't kill witches, He kills monsters no matter what they are! :classic_wink:

4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Like I said, the inspiration comes from early european folklore witches, not the modern ones with a big nose, pointy hats and flying brooms. A witcher is the male interpretation of a witch.

in the Middle Ages, every woman could be demoted to a witch! 
contending with the neighbor woman, a wrong word in the city guard and already this woman was a witch.
the most famous witch was Esmeralda, which was also immortalized in films several times. :classic_wink:

latest?cb=20130425192344&path-prefix=de

Spoiler