Someone "Borrowed" my account!

Pixie-K

I have been gone from LL for a LONG time (life has it's twists and turns) and just today I took a peek at my post history. Apparently someone got into my account and uploaded a bunch of stuff related to The Sims 4. That said, please do NOT trust any files from "me" related to Sims 4. Whoever they are also has sub-par grammar, and I am a self-imposed grammar nazi. I can't stand misspells or improper sentence structure coming from myself. Just saying, proof is in the pudding.

I read the topics related to the files, and I am quite worried about the possibility of those files being viruses, bitcoin miners, or worse.

I repeat, DO NOT TRUST ANY SIMS 4 FILES FROM MY ACCOUNT! I will be taking down those files shortly.

Huh. I knew I recalled there being something fishy about those files (pun not intended :classic_wacko:). I had seen your posts in the old "Anthro Shark Race" request thread for Skyrim and then the Sims 4 files started popping up in the Downloads section. (I'll admit I mostly checked them out because of the Mayhem PFP).

Looked very suspicious because the descriptions and newer posts sounded like they were written by someone from China or maybe Russia with poor knowledge of English (the overall structure felt Chinese, but IIRC the use of "fashion" instead of "mod" is also seen on Russians using some Google translate knockoffs, so I'm not sure), and that didn't match the few posts I had seen. But didn't know what to do about it and I don't use any Sims game, so I forgot about it soon after.

Sad to see I was right and someone did hijack your account, but at least the files will be taken down soon and won't cause any more harm. I have no idea what kinds of malware these people use, but bitcoin mining or just viruses/trojans would make sense.

Anyhow, better late than never. Do change all your online passwords and check for similar unusual activity in other accounts elsewhere, specially if your LL one was also used anywhere else. Change your email accounts if you have the slightest suspicion of them being compromised. And may want to directly contact moderators as well; I don't think the breach was on LL's side, but it's better to let them know just in case.

30 minutes ago, myuhinny said:

As stated above make sure to update your password to a new and better one. Awhile back we had a run of accounts new and old that were uploading sims files that were loaded with malware and viruses.

Speaking of which, have you folks considered implementing 2FA authentication ?
It saved my butt quite a few times from unauthorized logins/hijacking attempts.

10 hours ago, Pixie-K said:

I have been gone from LL for a LONG time (life has it's twists and turns) and just today I took a peek at my post history. Apparently someone got into my account and uploaded a bunch of stuff related to The Sims 4. That said, please do NOT trust any files from "me" related to Sims 4. Whoever they are also has sub-par grammar, and I am a self-imposed grammar nazi. I can't stand misspells or improper sentence structure coming from myself. Just saying, proof is in the pudding.

I read the topics related to the files, and I am quite worried about the possibility of those files being viruses, bitcoin miners, or worse.

I repeat, DO NOT TRUST ANY SIMS 4 FILES FROM MY ACCOUNT! I will be taking down those files shortly.

I don't play the Sims, but out of curiosity I took a look at some of "your" files "you" recently posted. Good lord, the grammar on those mods read like they are trying to sell me gold on a MMO. "So cheapest coupon!", as the currency scammer spam bots of SWOTOR liked to say. Definitely using a translation app, whoever they were.

10 hours ago, Pixie-K said:

I can't stand misspells or improper sentence structure

-_-

Also if someone can roll your account with a simple dictionary attack maybe it's time to use keypass or start using sentences for passes.

10 minutes ago, 27X said:

-_-

Also if someone can roll your account with a simple dictionary attack maybe it's time to use keypass or start using sentences for passes.

That or use words which don't exist outside of one's own head as well as numerical sequences.

Thanks everyone for the support! The file in question has been taken down, and I will be more vigilant for this sort of situation in the future. I love this community, and I would really hate to lose it. I'm also glad that the idiot who hijacked me didn't get me any strikes against my account, haha... *queue nervous laughter*

Edit: @27X I don't freak out over others having grammatical errors, just myself. ?

On 7/9/2019 at 8:45 PM, ItalianDragon said:

Speaking of which, have you folks considered implementing 2FA authentication ?
It saved my butt quite a few times from unauthorized logins/hijacking attempts.

It IS already available.

56 minutes ago, dharvinia said:

How do we know your account is authentic, especially if we are looking at bad grammar and spelling as a source of suspicion?

good point, Dharvinia; besides: alcohol is not only the mother of all sins, as it is the reason for several grammatical crimes. ?

46 minutes ago, dharvinia said:

How do we know your account is authentic, especially if we are looking at bad grammar and spelling as a source of suspicion???

It's already available 

"It's" is a contraction of "it is" - hence the apostrophe of omission (flying comma).

Archived