Who is Special and Who is not so much?

KoolHndLuke

With the rise of social media and sites like Youtube or it's like, or with mods for your favorite games, how do you determine what strikes you as a "standout" or not? Is it originality or maybe a cool remake of an aged piece of work- be it song. game, movie or otherwise? Does it have to be technically flawless? 

As a game designer, the first thing I look for is love.

When people love their job, it actually does tend to show. The second thing is rule of cool and then originality. Originality is hard because it's also dangerous.

As for mods, entirely different criteria.

Rule of cool, first; does it fucking work, second.

If I had a penny for every time I've had to mod a mod, I could retire.

• 2 months later...

something that you can see has had alot of effort put into it even if it's not my thing,I don't care for social media sites, perhaps you should have mentioned Patreon,some of the stuff there is impressive

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sometimes I don't decide as much as I just "feel" that something is what I need. Recently, that's been Katana Zero for me. I think love put in is a good criteria for this, but that doesn't mean it clicks with you.

Movies and stuff are harder for me, I cant think of any movies I've seen recently that have been more then "Oh, that's neat with a coherent plot and sorta fun to watch..." except that animated Spider Man one (saw it in 3D, totally loved the art style).

Outright avoid anything that's been politicized.

"special" is a code-word (see previous posts)

And your post titles (I took a picture) while "special" enough to be listed on top of the forum no matter when you wrote them, have a vague sameness to them that's comforting (to me, anyway).

Suppose there were a thread only about "katana zero" which I just had to look up, I'd be clueless.

I'll imagine (in my wittle mind) that you're a high ranking professor or laureate who periodically shows up to start topics.

Having said all that (I hope I was complimentary as hell) I wish you'd narrow your scope slightly.

Stuff is special within a genre.

"God" is special but which god is more special than the others? (older, wiser, more written about)

Special is a word I wish had not been co-opted by fox-news watchers and their ilk, and right this second I cannot think of a suitable synonym.

Anyhow, referring to my picture, if it's here,

Some of your topics, within the scope of awesome loverslab topics, are more awesome than others.

2128643959_Annotation2019-07-02034029.thumb.jpg.2680b2b17ea0873247d7a722781d65fc.jpg

I exited loverslab and wondered what google had on its front-page-news site.

Google thinks politics is special but only seems to focus on a very few (3) politicians.

It's as if they were grooming you to hate certain ones they fear could damage the political machine (except I'm not blaming google except for the political-slant), and steer you towards wimps and non-entities

they will be able to defeat with a phrase (They're nothing special)

I'm starting to read news in reverse, and I question myself.

If they're focused on one person or persons, if those persons casually remarked something they want to shout to the skies over-and-over-and-over,

Maybe I should know more about this person, maybe they're as good as the news says they're bad....

And that (generally speaking) is a type of insanity.

"Have a nice day" (Whut??!!) (lol) I'm getting paranoid.

You seriously have to narrow scope these days.

Rock-solid people exist, they just get smeared tons on a wide variety of things.

But are they special enough to me?

It depends.What precisely are we talking about?

Special to be unique, distinctive or one of a kind. However the word special also brings to mind thoughts of being: better, privileged, above the rest or perhaps the exact opposite: lesser or damaged. So among individuals to paraphrase Syndrome "either we are all special or no-one is". Certainly no two people are exactly the same; different wants, needs and desires as well as abilities but does that truly make us special. I wont go into the long list of peoples who feel that they are special for whatever reason, that is a discussion for another time.

In entertainment (books, movies, games and etcetera) the "7 stories" have already been told repeatedly. Sure we change the trappings every time but there are no longer any actually original stories.

Using the word "special" in a phrase can have vastly different meanings. For instance I could say, "Wow, isn't that special?" Now depending upon my delivery and inflection I may very well be impressed by what I just witnessed, or I may be expressing my dissatisfaction as what I witnessed was in my estimation nowhere near special.

So today for anything to be special it has to have a personal connection for you, it needs to touch you (show me on the doll where later) tee hee. What you find as special I may very well find quite mundane and droll, yet the opposite is just as possible. Not that this makes either of us is right or wrong it's just our personal preference. 

I wrote a post everyone ignored, but the one before this one got 4 greenie special thingies.

I'm soo jealous.

Some people ARE special (although that's not the word, and I'd never say that to their face....)

the word has been corrupted by talk-show-host parrots.

My eyes grow around special people.

I stare at their eyes, and other parts when they're not looking.

Sometimes just watching their lips move is ecstatic.

20 minutes ago, 2dk2c.2 said:

I wrote a post everyone ignored, but the one before this one got 4 greenie special thingies.

I'm soo jealous.

Some people ARE special (although that's not the word, and I'd never say that to their face....)

the word has been corrupted by talk-show-host parrots.

My eyes grow around special people.

I stare at their eyes, and other parts when they're not looking.

Sometimes just watching their lips move is ecstatic.

Yeah, some people are just special and some are not. Being popular is not an easy thing to pull off for most since everyone wants you to be something different. I never cared and I'm pretty used to being ignored. Believe me though, if I want someone's attention- I'll get it.:classic_biggrin:

PS- if you're trying to convey an opinion or information, then I would suggest forming more coherent posts. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's hard to make sense of what you are trying to say most of the time.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, Guest said:

something that you can see has had alot of effort put into it even if it's not my thing,I don't care for social media sites, perhaps you should have mentioned Patreon,some of the stuff there is impressive

This. The main difference between good and great is taking time to nail the minor details and other things that are just a pain in your ass to do so you're tempted to just skip them in a mod or personal work. Art like a movie or song is subjective but does it invoke a feeling. Freddie Mercury was a great singer. Michael Jackson was a Great performer. 

10 minutes ago, Citrakite said:

This. The main difference between good and great is taking time to nail the minor details and other things that are just a pain in your ass to do so you're tempted to just skip them in a mod or personal work. Art like a movie or song is subjective but does it invoke a feeling. Freddie Mercury was a great singer. Michael Jackson was a Great performer. 

I get your point about attention to detail and agree completely. Also, I think Freddy Mercury was a pretty damn good performer as well. They packed stadiums in the 70's when few others did. One of my favorites.

3 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Yeah, some people are just special and some are not. Being popular is not an easy thing to pull off for most since everyone wants you to be something different. I never cared and I'm pretty used to being ignored. Believe me though, if I want someone's attention- I'll get it.:classic_biggrin:

PS- if you're trying to convey an opinion or information, then I would suggest forming more coherent posts. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's hard to make sense of what you are trying to say most of the time.

I am what I am, and that makes you look better (it makes most anyone look better).

To answer your last post to me I launched a train of thought that ended with the question "Are black holes real?"

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/are-black-holes-real/

Says it's a paradox.

I don't think black holes are holes , nor are they black (they are if you define "black" but my little sentence sounds cooler that way)

It's a ginormous subject that the page itself had trouble explaining, going into history technology and belief.

I piss on coherence, it's fucking boring, pew.

Too many people here thinking they're god's gift and every word they utter is a pearl, so they utter thousands.

Plus it's close to my birthday, disasters have been happening for weeks, so (and) (And so) I blame my horoscope for at least *some* of my incoherence. 

Real life stuff has been happening that I cannot explain any other way (except horoscopes).

But narrowing my scope to this thread, things that are special didn't all aspire to be that, it just happened.

Living with dumb-shits, being around ordinary stars no one talks about or cares to look for.

God help the first alien (the first publicly known alien) to visit earth, she or he will be swamped with special seekers.

What if he's a stewardess, the navigator, or a minion? The janitor on his space-ship?

He will be special because he's first, above all of us because dumb butt that he might be, he'll still know more than anyone on earth.

TLDR:

Yes, you're special, but don't let it go to your (fucking) head.

5 hours ago, 2dk2c.2 said:

Yes, you're special, but don't let it go to your (fucking) head.

If you mean me, then you are dead wrong. The only fucking way I'm *special* is that I sink so far below people's notice that I could be lying in the street dying and they wouldn't see me or care if they did. The only good thing I can say about my life right now is that I am trying to get a degree so I can get a better job and lift myself out of my poor, miserable existence. :cool:

Honestly, the way I see it is that the only person whose opinion of you that you should truly care about is your own. Walk your own path, go against the tide, and be the most badass you that you can be, because you will be the only you in this world. We are all special, yet not special, at the same time. It all comes down your own personal beliefs and perceptions, etc. You could be seen as special by others, and for others, not so much, of which I find to be a beautiful thing. I've always found the concept of "special" intriguing because it has so many meanings behind it and there truly is no singular answer for it, whether it be positive, negative, or neither. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments in this thread, it's always interesting to see how others perceive such a concept

On 7/10/2019 at 11:01 PM, Dakuryon said:

Things and stuff from above...

Too many people don't get this.  Even if they did, they lack what it takes to be their own person.

For mods: Does it do something interesting, but more to the point does it make the game closer to the game I want rather than what the developers think I want?  THAT is the big question, closely followed by "does it work as advertised?" and then "how close is that to what I really want?".

Per songs, it's been scientifically proven that there is a given range of harmonics that humans find pleasurable.  If you listen to many of the modern hit songs, you'll find that they steal segments from older songs.  Will Smith's Miami was one of those.  Liked the song, but swore that there was a segment in there I'd heard before.  Sure enough, I eventually found it.  I think it was from a Micheal Jackson song, of all things.  Anyway, "hit" music is often rinse and repeat.  Even some bands have repetitious sounds to their various songs, some to the point where the songs all tend to sound the same.

Remakes of anything are generally rubbish.  The problem seems to me to be that new technology is available, and they try to implement it, which then changes the entirety of the old game, by the time they're finished with it.  And don't get me started on movies "based on" books.  I've only ever seen one that really made every attempt to follow the book, and that was Das Boot.  I could follow scene for scene from the book, and it was excellent.  Unlike most, a prime example being Flight of the Intruder.  The "artistic" license taken by the producer resulted in absolute trash that only vaguely followed the book.   So, yes, in a book-to-movie, absolutely, the line in the sand is following the book. To. The. Letter.

Archived