Mortal Weapons & Armors

43 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

Most common reason to CTD with this mod is using a custom armour/clothing mod that has bad meshes.

I've not heard of this when saving, it normally happens when that item is unequipped/dropped. Are you using any custom armours that would be in play

Well besides mods like immersive armors and guards armor replacer etc I'm only using 2-3 custom armors but they aren't equipped or even in my inventory as i tested with a new game aswell. Should i disable those and try it again?

4 minutes ago, branden1213fog2 said:

Well besides mods like immersive armors and guards armor replacer etc I'm only using 2-3 custom armors but they aren't equipped or even in my inventory as i tested with a new game aswell. Should i disable those and try it again?

Then it probably isn't that then. You can try but I would have thought for the armour to be an issue it would need to be equipped on your character.

Probably best to wait for someone  whoe knows what they are talking about to answer :)

11 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

Then it probably isn't that then. You can try but I would have thought for the armour to be an issue it would need to be equipped on your character.

Probably best to wait for someone  whoe knows what they are talking about to answer :)

Thing is it only happens when i try to save near whiterun other places it saves fine doesn't make much sense tbh.

2 hours ago, branden1213fog2 said:

This is a great mod and i prefer it over L&D and other degradation mods but for some reason when i have it enabled it CTD's when i try to save my game and i've made sure it was this mod just to be sure do yo you have idea why this happens and how i'd go about fixing it? Appreciate any help!

you can usually (99 times out of 100) fix the CTD when saving bug (A lot of things can cause this, it is a pretty common error for Skyrim) by following these steps

1 load game and disable and combat death alternative mods so you are no longer considered essential and can vanilla die. (that is when you die, it auto reboots to the last save)

2 open the command console and type 

player.kill

hit enter

this should kill you and cause the game to reload from last saved positions. 

That should fix the CTD on save problem. If you can now save without CTD it is safe to reactivate any mods you deactivated in order to allow yourself to die (if any). 

8 hours ago, branden1213fog2 said:

This is a great mod and i prefer it over L&D and other degradation mods but for some reason when i have it enabled it CTD's when i try to save my game and i've made sure it was this mod just to be sure do yo you have idea why this happens and how i'd go about fixing it? Appreciate any help!

Mmm, sorry but I can't remember any reasons linking CTD on save with MWA. As Mez says CTD with MWA is usually:

For LE:

A bad world mesh. But this happens more or less immediately as the armor is processed in a container etc.

The armor DOES NOT need to be equipped for this to happen. It can happen on equip or when a container with the bad armor is processed. 

For SE:

1. Old papyrus util had a CTD issue with JsonUtil and forms from esps flagged as ESL. This has been fixed lately I think. 

2. A new version of Engine fixes causes CTDs when it made some changes to 'GetKeywordItemCount'.

But I don't remember any of these causing CTD on save. 

MWA doesn't mess with the player essential flag. 

8 hours ago, Monoman1 said:

Mmm, sorry but I can't remember any reasons linking CTD on save with MWA. As Mez says CTD with MWA is usually:

For LE:

A bad world mesh. But this happens more or less immediately as the armor is processed in a container etc.

The armor DOES NOT need to be equipped for this to happen. It can happen on equip or when a container with the bad armor is processed. 

For SE:

1. Old papyrus util had a CTD issue with JsonUtil and forms from esps flagged as ESL. This has been fixed lately I think. 

2. A new version of Engine fixes causes CTDs when it made some changes to 'GetKeywordItemCount'.

But I don't remember any of these causing CTD on save. 

MWA doesn't mess with the player essential flag. 

It's pretty strange but i'm gonna try updating engine fixes to see what it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the latest MWA, I have noticed an issue where an item breaks, and then doesn't become eligible for repair.

Items that this happened too had no special common feature. Some were clothes, some were weapons.

There were no mods installed, or other changes between the break and the failure to allow repair.

Is this refusal to consider the items as repairable by design?

Has MWA simply decided "that's too broken"?

e.g.

Some vanilla boots are destroyed in a rape.

I have the remains in my inventory.

Ask tailor to fix my seriously damaged clothing.

Boots are not visible in the trade window.

Check afterwards, I still have the boots.

e.g.

Dwarven dagger is destroyed in combat.

I have the remains in my inventory, it's described as a kind of ingot, even though named broken dagger.

I ask a smith to fix my seriously damaged items.

Dagger does not appear in the trade window.

Check afterwards, I still have the dagger.

I have saves, so I could dig deeper if there's any point looking at this further.

So... I haven't seen items mysteriously becoming marked as stolen in inventory in a long time, whatever was causing that seems to have stopped... but!

I purchased a couple of items from the tailor in Whiterun.  I ran outside, had a few trivial chats with locals, and then paid a fine to a guard.  He "confiscated any stolen items" as part of that usual process, and the two items from the tailor were both taken.  I have a save right before the guard dialogue, and the clothing is definitely not marked as stolen.  Reloading a few times gave the same result.

I hadn't had the items reinforced or anything - simply purchased them, marked them both as favorites for SkyUI, and wore one of them (not the other).

Is there something wrong with how ownership is set, purchasing from tailors?  Might this be related to a larger problem, since I do find items going missing every now and then, and guards talking about confiscating items when I haven't been stealing anything, and only now have put two and two together.

58 minutes ago, legraf said:

So... I haven't seen items mysteriously becoming marked as stolen in inventory in a long time, whatever was causing that seems to have stopped... but!

I purchased a couple of items from the tailor in Whiterun.  I ran outside, had a few trivial chats with locals, and then paid a fine to a guard.  He "confiscated any stolen items" as part of that usual process, and the two items from the tailor were both taken.  I have a save right before the guard dialogue, and the clothing is definitely not marked as stolen.  Reloading a few times gave the same result.

I hadn't had the items reinforced or anything - simply purchased them, marked them both as favorites for SkyUI, and wore one of them (not the other).

Is there something wrong with how ownership is set, purchasing from tailors?  Might this be related to a larger problem, since I do find items going missing every now and then, and guards talking about confiscating items when I haven't been stealing anything, and only now have put two and two together.

That happens to me a lot.

Guards just take my clothes all the time. I thought it was intended... ?

The only reason I can think of for that is the old bug in SLS where setting the owner of an object as the player actually meant the guards would consider it as stolen and take it. So obviously:

GetActorOwner != None ; means it was stolen as far as Bethesdas logic goes

But any SetActorOwner in MWA is correctly setting owner as None. EXCEPT for broken objects - damaged weapons and armor objects are still setting the owner as the player when the item is destroyed. But reconstructed objects shouldn't 'inherit' the owner anyway so.....

I don't know.

1 hour ago, Monoman1 said:

The only reason I can think of for that is the old bug in SLS where setting the owner of an object as the player actually meant the guards would consider it as stolen and take it. So obviously:

GetActorOwner != None ; means it was stolen as far as Bethesdas logic goes

But any SetActorOwner in MWA is correctly setting owner as None. EXCEPT for broken objects - damaged weapons and armor objects are still setting the owner as the player when the item is destroyed. But reconstructed objects shouldn't 'inherit' the owner anyway so.....

I don't know.

Most peculiar, Mama.

I don't suppose there's an easy way to check current ownership on an item, short of cobbling GetActorOwner/Debug.Notification into an inventory scanner like yours in MWA?  I'm trying to avoid compiling anything today!

14 minutes ago, legraf said:

Most peculiar, Mama.

I don't suppose there's an easy way to check current ownership on an item, short of cobbling GetActorOwner/Debug.Notification into an inventory scanner like yours in MWA?  I'm trying to avoid compiling anything today!

It would probably be easy enough to add an 'Owner' entry to the Object Options menu since it's already getting object refs. 

I should clarify that GetActorOwner != none ; means it was stolen for the guard confiscation event at least. 

An item owned by the player doesn't appear to be marked as stolen in the inventory which is why that bug wasn't caught long ago. 

3 hours ago, Monoman1 said:

The only reason I can think of for that is the old bug in SLS where setting the owner of an object as the player actually meant the guards would consider it as stolen and take it.

That certainly fits - dropping the items (outside) and picking them up again prevents the guards from subsequently confiscating them, when they presumably have GetActorOwner == none.  I wonder if I can patch that guard behaviour (so much for not compiling anything).

edit: Of course, no sooner had I got past that guard, then I was tripped & attacked (thanks to SLDisparity), had the one item stolen via Panty Theft, and the other destroyed in the course of the SL attack.  Apparently it was destiny.

I was wondering if it was possible to toss broken items into a smelter and get back raw ingots of whatever metal? I have things set to break often so that I need to use what I find, which means the broken items add up really quick. Would be nice to be able to salvage something from all the broken bits instead of just leaving them behind most of the time since I don't really see the point of repairing 3 broken steel swords when the next bandit I kill probably has one I can steal. If you are supposed to be able to smelt broken items...I guess that's not working for me? Or is adding that functionality way more complicated than it sounds?

2 hours ago, Xiaron said:

Or is adding that functionality way more complicated than it sounds?

Yup. You guessed it. 

It's not possible to get the recipe that made an item as far as I know. The best I could do is get the material type and return some generic ingots based on a best guess. 2 problems with this:

1. I've seen loads of mod added armors/weapons that don't have any material type keywords or just have the wrong keywords.... So that's extra complication. 

2. This approach would probably also need to create a new piece of furniture or special dialogue because a smelter wouldn't do the job. 

Fun.

6 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

Yup. You guessed it. 

It's not possible to get the recipe that made an item as far as I know. The best I could do is get the material type and return some generic ingots based on a best guess. 2 problems with this:

1. I've seen loads of mod added armors/weapons that don't have any material type keywords or just have the wrong keywords.... So that's extra complication. 

2. This approach would probably also need to create a new piece of furniture or special dialogue because a smelter wouldn't do the job. 

Fun.

Yikes! Yeah fun of the sort that isn't, indeed. Thanks for getting back to me though!

Just an FYI 

the default ground item for Elven Boots and Elven Light Boots are corrupt and will CTD your game if you are running MWA. 

The fix is easy though

in TES5Edit goto Skyrim.esm under the Armor header find the boots

Spoiler

image.png.86895adbf5cd9c9a1b9ada9e4cda0b8b.png

Hit right click on the the item and click copy as overide into on the drop down

Spoiler

image.png.dacc892f0b923e1021e9a6c834a69b0e.png

I copied into the legendary patch Update.esm it can really be copied into anything (pick something that doesn't get updated very often because you'll have to do this every time the esm/esp you copy it to gets updated. 

Once you have done that clicking on the boots in either location should bring up this side by side (unless you have hide identical records checked which you should always have unchecked anyway so do that in the settings or right click at the top of the right side)

Change the MOD2 world model on the 2nd one to something else that works I used the model for studded cuz it was right below the elven boot and was easy to copy and past. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.25ca3c09e92db5b4677c3977b579168e.png

Save all that and it should stop the CDT when picking up elven boots. 

11 hours ago, Xiaron said:

I was wondering if it was possible to toss broken items into a smelter and get back raw ingots of whatever metal? I have things set to break often so that I need to use what I find, which means the broken items add up really quick. Would be nice to be able to salvage something from all the broken bits instead of just leaving them behind most of the time since I don't really see the point of repairing 3 broken steel swords when the next bandit I kill probably has one I can steal. If you are supposed to be able to smelt broken items...I guess that's not working for me? Or is adding that functionality way more complicated than it sounds?

Each broken item is it's own constructable object in game, each of those details what is gained back by smelting stuff, same if you want to craft an item each item has its own constructable object, this states what materials are required as well as any perks, there is also another object for tempering it, they are tedious as shit to create, which is why so many player made weapons and armor mods do not offer them.

And while there is a xedit script to do so it can be a bit odd in what it adds, even if the material and location keywords are correct.

Material keywords and location keywords are two of the most common ones that are basically wrong on quite a few player made armor/weapons mods, and when I create merges of mod it is one of the things that takes ages to sort out.

13 hours ago, Corsayr said:

the default ground item for Elven Boots and Elven Light Boots are corrupt and will CTD your game if you are running MWA. 

Huh... I don't understand how this wouldn't be a larger problem than MWA.  Shouldn't this cause crashes in the vanilla game too?  Unless one has an armor replacer?

10 minutes ago, legraf said:

Huh... I don't understand how this wouldn't be a larger problem than MWA.  Shouldn't this cause crashes in the vanilla game too?  Unless one has an armor replacer?

The drop thing MWA does to initiate an alias exacerbates the problem. In normal activity it doesn't seem to cause any noticeable issue. 

I don't fully understand the mechanics. I just know THAT was the problem, I always got CTDs when dealing with Elven armors and this change corrected it. 

Most Armor replacers don't change the ground NIF or the world NIF so I agree it should be causing other issues... /shrug

I have something to add to suggestions for sound resources (requested on the main mod page). The mod True Armor (on the Nexus) adds sounds when blows are deflected versus when they successfully pierce or smash armor, and they seem to vary based on the armor and weapon type involved. Some of those sounds could work well for this mod's purposes, though I haven't heard all of them in my game yet since I don't always play with that mod on (it's pretty hardcore). Couldn't hurt to check them out though. Thanks for all your work on this!