Mortal Weapons & Armors

1 hour ago, Monoman1 said:

Hmm. It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure how fun it would be. 

In my game currently it's difficult enough to find fitting clothes as it is that I spend vast amounts of time running around naked.

A solution to this would be to simply allow the player to wear ill-fitted equipment, at the cost of an increased or passive degradation rate.

1 hour ago, Monoman1 said:

Also it would make the armor display name more messy than it already is

Well, there are currently around 50 bodyslide morphs, so I never considered editing the name as viable. Adding an option to inspect equipment would probably be better.

Guest AthenaESIV

Mono, would there be any way to build texture swapping into this mod? Or even mesh swapping if that would be easier... I can make the changes I want in the texture alone, but whatever if possible at all...

That way I can add dirt, blood stains and tears / frayed alphas to armor as it degrades....

If it could be done by manually setting it up in the MCM or via JSON or something that would be cool, whatever could be done to make it possible... Or maybe have it automatically search for another mesh with a _damageStateIndicatorLingo suffix on the mesh / dds... Honestly not sure how it could be done, but like I said whatever method is easiest, even if it means more work for the user would be fine with me since it is monkey work lol.

Would add a ton to this mod for favorite armor sets. An example of what I intend to do with the textures is attached.

tatter.png

53 minutes ago, AthenaESIV said:

Mono, would there be any way to build texture swapping into this mod? Or even mesh swapping if that would be easier... I can make the changes I want in the texture alone, but whatever if possible at all...

It's an interesting idea. Someone proposed adding dirt before but I'm not a texture guy so....

The problem is I'm not sure textures can be swapped out for individual armor references. If the functionality is there in papyrus then it will probably swap them for every armor in the game. Like pretty much all papyrus functions. 

Yea here we are: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=SetModelPath_-_ArmorAddon

WARNING: Changing the file path of an ArmorAddon affects all armor using it!

So looks like it might work but you'd have to have alternate meshes and textures for every armor piece.... So that method probably is not viable. 

Now, NiOverride.... might be able to add an overlay. Maybe. NiO isn't something I am very familiar with besides adding overlays to the player. If NiO requires an ObjectReference to do it then MWA TRIES (and sometimes fails) to maintain a list of equipped ObjRefs. And I even believe there's a mod event to retrieve it from MWA already if memory serves. 

But you'd need to talk to someone better versed in NiO than me. 

53 minutes ago, AthenaESIV said:

That way I can add dirt, blood stains and tears / frayed alphas to armor as it degrades....

If it could be done by manually setting it up in the MCM or via JSON or something that would be cool, whatever could be done to make it possible... Or maybe have it automatically search for another mesh with a _damageStateIndicatorLingo suffix on the mesh / dds... Honestly not sure how it could be done, but like I said whatever method is easiest, even if it means more work for the user would be fine with me since it is monkey work lol.

Would add a ton to this mod for favorite armor sets. An example of what I intend to do with the textures is attached.

Spoiler

tatter.png

If you are looking for a way to swap out a damaged texture for the clean texture as the armor gets damaged, the best way i found to do that is with Bikini Armor - Break

basically armor parts can be stripped from you (in combat) and have a chance to break, that exchanges the armor part for a broken piece which can be converted to the broken version (at least that is how I use it in my patch for NINI's armor.)

Guest AthenaESIV
6 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

Now, NiOverride.... might be able to add an overlay. Maybe. NiO isn't something I am very familiar with besides adding overlays to the player. If NiO requires an ObjectReference to do it then MWA TRIES (and sometimes fails) to maintain a list of equipped ObjRefs. And I even believe there's a mod event to retrieve it from MWA already if memory serves. 

But you'd need to talk to someone better versed in NiO than me. 

The overlay idea is good for adding dirt and blood stains, which would be a nice addition. But wouldn't be able to change the alpha channel of the texture, which is where the real magic would happen for tattered armor.

I suppose the only feasible way to do it would be actual mesh swapping... Which would be tedious, but easy for users so inclined to do if it were possible to code into MWA... Especially if it used a system where users just had to create alternative meshes for armors they wanted to see deteriorate... Say add _d75, _d50, _d25 to the end of the mesh files and swap that way?

Like I said I have no real idea how the papyrus end of things would work... Just kind of wondering if there is a solution that would be pretty easy on your end, yet require work by the users in order to see the effect... I would wager if there were such a format, people would share their texture files here all the time (I would create many for armors I like) and then people would just have to do the mesh edits themselves so it works with their bodyslide output.

Guest AthenaESIV
3 minutes ago, Corsayr said:

If you are looking for a way to swap out a damaged texture for the clean texture as the armor gets damaged, the best way i found to do that is with Bikini Armor - Break

basically armor parts can be stripped from you (in combat) and have a chance to break, that exchanges the armor part for a broken piece which can be converted to the broken version (at least that is how I use it in my patch for NINI's armor.)

I've used that mod before and liked it, but I was just wanting a way to change the alpha channel for the armor dynamically really...

It sounds like that mod kind of does technically what I want... but instead of it dropping to the ground, that replacement armor would just be equipped... And then you have to create the broken mesh yourself. 

I was thinking of a system where their were 2-3 phases though.

It just seems like a lot of the code is already there, but there is a final hurdle that needs cleared to make a mod that would be massively popular. Obviously there would be a ton of mesh work to do... But I think the community would do that for the most popular mods if there were a degradation mod that provided the code framework for the swaps.

23 minutes ago, AthenaESIV said:

I've used that mod before and liked it, but I was just wanting a way to change the alpha channel for the armor dynamically really...

This might be better: SetModelNthTextureSet(TextureSet texture, Int n, Bool firstPerson, Bool female)

Might mean only creating textures instead of meshes + textures. Most armor overhauls change the mesh but not the texture. But there are so many texture overhauls out there,,,,,

13 minutes ago, AthenaESIV said:

It sounds like that mod kind of does technically what I want... but instead of it dropping to the ground, that replacement armor would just be equipped... And then you have to create the broken mesh yourself. 

I was thinking of a system where their were 2-3 phases though.

It just seems like a lot of the code is already there, but there is a final hurdle that needs cleared to make a mod that would be massively popular. Obviously there would be a ton of mesh work to do... But I think the community would do that for the most popular mods if there were a degradation mod that provided the code framework for the swaps.

Bikini Armor break's VMAD script can't create an armor part just a misc item... Which is why I did it the way I did. 

However a modder by the name of Felisky has a mod called Green Tea which is really just a collection of small mods he made. 

One of them is Armor Break

Which temporarily hides tri-shapes as an armor becomes "broken" I have never used it so I can't testify as to how effective this is in making the armors look damaged and I imagine it is more effective with some than others... But it might give you what you are looking for in a dynamic visual armor damage mod. 

or maybe even give a road map for doing something more targeted. like if a armor had been designed to have tri-shapes cover up more damaged looking tri-shapes so as a layer is hidden the lower layer looks more damaged. Sadly as with all of Felisky's work it is esp free and all done with dlls swfs and ini files which is brilliant! but takes me out of the equation for tinkering with em. ?

Guest AthenaESIV
6 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

This might be better: SetModelNthTextureSet(TextureSet texture, Int n, Bool firstPerson, Bool female)

Might mean only creating textures instead of meshes + textures. Most armor overhauls change the mesh but not the texture. But there are so many texture overhauls out there,,,,,

If that could be done with a simple concatenation in papyrus it would be amazing.

Guest AthenaESIV
1 minute ago, Corsayr said:

Bikini Armor break's VMAD script can't create an armor part just a misc item... Which is why I did it the way I did. 

Sadly as with all of Felisky's work it is esp free and all done with dlls swfs and ini files which is brilliant! but takes me out of the equation for tinkering with em. ?

Ah I see, that's too bad...

I really like Felisky's work, be makes some amazing stuff... Ive not tried the break component to greentea yet because I like MWA. It sucks you can't tinker with dll scripts, but since I trust his work (DLLs tend to make me nervous when it is just some new modder lol), I love how performance friendly they are.

Felisky + Monoman team up inc! lol

Guest AthenaESIV

How about if you were able to obtain a skill, something like Field Maintenance... And using it you restore a % of the damage done to the weapon (maybe based on smithing skills?) It would max out at restoring 50% of damage (or another %, possibly based on smithing skills as well - but never back to 100% without actually using a smithy or NPC), so you could never restore it to 100%, but could prolong a weapon's life greatly in the field.

Maybe even require consumable kits similar to what Witcher 3 uses.

Just a thought.

7 hours ago, AthenaESIV said:

How about if you were able to obtain a skill, something like Field Maintenance... And using it you restore a % of the damage done to the weapon (maybe based on smithing skills?) It would max out at restoring 50% of damage (or another %, possibly based on smithing skills as well - but never back to 100% without actually using a smithy or NPC), so you could never restore it to 100%, but could prolong a weapon's life greatly in the field.

Maybe even require consumable kits similar to what Witcher 3 uses.

Just a thought.

Until the core issues around reliability are resolved i won't be adding any more features to MWA tbh. 

If anyone (else) is having issues with CTD when trying to buy/sell from Lucan in Riverwood. I've found this Mod to be a culprit, of sorts.

If I deleted any damaged items (I was using Jaxonz Positioner to do this) then, for whatever reason, I would always CTD in the RW Trader.

Started about 4 clean games until it occurred to me that this might be the cause. I knew it was related to MW&A since uninstalling the Mod and cleaning the save resolved the issue but also knew it was something that was happening or I was doing in game as if I COC'd to RW immediately after starting a fresh save it didn't happen.

So, don't delete damaged items.

I could well be the only one suffering this, my game is not the most stable :D

• 2 weeks later...

Uff I am really desperate at this point! I love the mod but the degradation of weapons is really bugged for me. As other mentioned, every time I equip a weapon, its durability decreases by only one or two points, no matter how often I swing it. Only if I switch to another weapon and then back, swinging it will again decrease the durability by one. Rinse and reapeat at this point. The weapons are also not shown at equipped mcm section. Dropping them on the floor and waiting a bit doesnt help neither. 

Im playing SE and tested in a vanilla setup with only  SKUI Pap Utilities & SKSE Scripts and Adress Library  activated. Any idea how I could fix iit? It seems seems that my equipped weapons are not added to the worn object list or are being removed after swinging them once.

I would love to get it to work :)  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is the wrong mod, but I think it was the one that added tempering and refitting?  Enjoying this mod though I'm having a bit of a problem. I have some armors to don but I'm given a message stating "this untempered armor doesn't fit." Okay, I'll temper it. When I try to temper it, turning it from normal to fine, it still says "this untempered armor does not fit." So I'm guessing this isn't the right tempering. So, I talk to a blacksmith and ask for tempering, the blacksmith says "it would seem so." Then nothing. I can't temper. The window just closes. (I expected this as the main page says blacksmith tempering is on the to do list)

So, I remove the mod and then create a new game. I go get some new armor (whore armor from DF specifically) and it says the same thing "this untempered armor does not fit." I use console to bring in a whore armor (all three variants) and it still needs tempering. So maybe it isn't this mod? Any ideas would be appreciated on what I'm missing. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, tester86 said:

Sorry if this is the wrong mod, but I think it was the one that added tempering and refitting?  Enjoying this mod though I'm having a bit of a problem. I have some armors to don but I'm given a message stating "this untempered armor doesn't fit." Okay, I'll temper it. When I try to temper it, turning it from normal to fine, it still says "this untempered armor does not fit." So I'm guessing this isn't the right tempering. So, I talk to a blacksmith and ask for tempering, the blacksmith says "it would seem so." Then nothing. I can't temper. The window just closes. (I expected this as the main page says blacksmith tempering is on the to do list)

So, I remove the mod and then create a new game. I go get some new armor (whore armor from DF specifically) and it says the same thing "this untempered armor does not fit." I use console to bring in a whore armor (all three variants) and it still needs tempering. So maybe it isn't this mod? Any ideas would be appreciated on what I'm missing. 

Thanks!

"this untempered armor doesn't fit."

is this the actual message? Doesn't seem right - I'm not sure it's from MWA. 

In any case there's a setting in the mcm to enable the mechanic where tempering an item refits it for your size. This is when you yourself temper something. Tempering dialogue via blacksmiths was never finished in MWA because of requiem mostly. It's a place holder.

I really like this mod but I'm having a bit of an issue and I'm just wondering if you have any idea how I could fix it.  I have Milk Addict installed since I know there's supposed to be compatibility between these mods but whenever my armor/clothing should be taking damage due to too much milk, it's actually repairing my armor instead.  Because of this, my armor is actually repaired beyond it's maximum value.  

I've been trying to change mcm settings to fix this issue but I can't seem to solve it.

Congratulations for the mod, I have been testing it for a while in a mo profile (along with a few others), and it was really excellent. No real bugs, just little problems, like if using "immersive college of winterhold" and watching the destruction master casting spells (she casts aura spells mainly in the morning lessons, but they don't harm anyone), my helmet was destroyed by just looking at her... I saw the messages that it was loosing its tempering, so I tried to disable the degradation on the player using the mcm, but there is probably a delay for the option to activate because my helmet was destroyed in the few seconds that followed ! Not a big deal it can be repaired. The little oddity here was that only the helmet seemed affected, go figure...

The other minor problem is whan you find a container full of weapons and armors and you take everything at the same time, yeah I know I shouldn't do that, it's written in the 1st post, but it was during testing something else, not exactly the kind of case you encounter in a normal game situation !

But overall very good experience, it adds to the immersion to refit and repair armors/clothes, it makes the game a little harder, but not so much, and it's a good feeling, so thanks ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Love this mod :).  The only thing that would make it better was if npcs also had their equipment suffer durability damage when being hit.  Iv'e looked at all the other armor damage mods out there and so far I haven't been able to find one that damages the equipment of both the player and npcs with both weapons and magic.  Most recently I tried out the mod Green Tea by Felisky at  https://www.patreon.com/posts/greentea-v1-2-5-27747981But sure enough it only works with weapons :(!  Anyone out there know of a mod that damages the equipment of both the player and npcs with both weapons and magic?