Mortal Weapons & Armors

Hi,

I've been using some of your other mods and tweaks for awhile now, and i decided to try MWA with its latest update.

Everything works fine, i've only got screwed over once by the rapid-crafting issue (9 bows lost in limbo, nooooo).

I've encountered a consistency issue that's similar to how shop-sold clothes work : somehow the item i crafted was cursed. I equipped my brand new orc helmet and immediately got stuck in a jacket... talk about risk management. Do you think it's something you could correct in a next version?

About the "reinforce durability" option at a tailor/smith, is there a limit to it or can i push it indefinitely (i've only tried once for now)?

Before trying MWA i was an avid consumer of loot and degradation, and the one thing i miss from it is the SkyUI elements tracking durability and sharpening stages of my items.

other than thos little dots, great job! ?

EDIT : apparently weapons can be cursed too, and somehow i really didn't expect that. fool me once... shame on me and my new collar.

15 hours ago, Clockwinding said:

Before trying MWA i was an avid consumer of loot and degradation, and the one thing i miss from it is the SkyUI elements tracking durability and sharpening stages of my items.

You want 30 widgets on your screen? :P

Cus that's how many equip slots there potentially are. Don't think you'd actually be able to 'see out' past the hud with that many ;)

About the "reinforce durability" option at a tailor/smith, is there a limit to it or can i push it indefinitely (i've only tried once for now)?

You can do it indefinitely yes. But the amount of durability gained decreases the further from it's average and the cost also rises exponentially. 

I've encountered a consistency issue that's similar to how shop-sold clothes work : somehow the item i crafted was cursed. I equipped my brand new orc helmet and immediately got stuck in a jacket... talk about risk management. Do you think it's something you could correct in a next version?

I'll check that out. 

Is it MWA that's causing a small fraction of my loot (from bodies certainly, possibly from other containers also) to be marked as stolen?  For example, I recently went through Helgen again, scooping up some valuable armor from the many corpses, and perhaps 5% (very roughly) of the items showed up in my inventory as stolen (I didn't see any telltale red hands during the looting, only in my own inventory afterwards).

Ooh - I didn't think to test this, but just possibly, might those items have been cursed?  So marking things cursed is also touching their ownership property in the process?  The frequency seems about right.  I'll test this next time I notice this happening.

15 hours ago, legraf said:

Is it MWA that's causing a small fraction of my loot (from bodies certainly, possibly from other containers also) to be marked as stolen?  For example, I recently went through Helgen again, scooping up some valuable armor from the many corpses, and perhaps 5% (very roughly) of the items showed up in my inventory as stolen (I didn't see any telltale red hands during the looting, only in my own inventory afterwards).

Ooh - I didn't think to test this, but just possibly, might those items have been cursed?  So marking things cursed is also touching their ownership property in the process?  The frequency seems about right.  I'll test this next time I notice this happening.

It's possible. Anytime anything is dropped via script it automatically inherits the ownership of the cell owner. It was a problem in some version but I've not seen it in my game for some time now. That said I haven't been playing a whole lot of skyrim lately. 

I think there's a problem at the moment with the Autofit option turning on when it shouldn't? I'm surprised it's not been said. 

Hello there, Monoman1.  I would like to start by saying that reading through your description of this mod got me very excited and so I had to give it a try!  I was also a user of L&D and now am only using it for the follower option.  I would also like to state that even though I have close to the maximum limit of mods installed on my game, (and have tried countless mods over the years on top of that) yours is the first time I have ever posted a comment in a thread for... 

I absolutely love the concept and ideas behind this mod and would love to see it come to full fruition.  With that being said, I have a rather annoying bug that I think you should be made aware of.  The option to make putting armor on while in combat doesn't seem to work properly for me and by that I mean that turning it off doesn't change anything.  The backstory is that I play with an "auto equip your helmet" mod when unsheathing weapons that doesn't play nice with that particular feature so I opted to turn it off, but your mod still acts as if I have that feature on.  

Once I started noticing this issue, I tried testing it on other pieces of armor (go into combat naked and try to equip stuff), and it happens with all pieces of armor except the shield.

Full disclosure here.  I am well aware that I have pushed the boundaries of my game to the limits and that it is quite possibly something on my end.  I have not done too much digging into this problem yet but I do intend to look into this more.  If I find out that it is indeed my own mistake, I will inform you of that and apologize profusely.  

And on an end note, I would like to say thank you very much for the work you do creating mods for us to enjoy.  Without people like you, I would have been done with Skyrim a very long time ago.

Para

This might be stupid. Or genius. It comes off as arrogant, for sure. But hear me out:

I, a person who has never touched the CK before, have an idea - I think it could be really neat if this mod handled something like dirt as well. So armors would have a cleanliness parameter besides the other ones and they'd get dirty over time. I think that'd be neat.

(Personally I'd be fine even if it was just a tracking thing with no actual effects. Or maybe it could become a framework and other mods would expand on it. Wow)

Thoughts?

On 12/9/2019 at 3:56 AM, Monoman1 said:

It's possible. Anytime anything is dropped via script it automatically inherits the ownership of the cell owner. It was a problem in some version but I've not seen it in my game for some time now. That said I haven't been playing a whole lot of skyrim lately. 

Is this something that can be fixed using the same principle as your license ownership fix for SLS?

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/99955-sexlab-survival/?do=findComment&comment=2840941

4 minutes ago, legraf said:

Is this something that can be fixed using the same principle as your license ownership fix for SLS?

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/99955-sexlab-survival/?do=findComment&comment=2840941

Hmm. Not sure. The thought did cross my mind but I think there's different things going on here. 

People with the problem in SLS didn't have the items marked as stolen. When I reproduced it they weren't stolen for me either. Potentially what was happening there is that everything in Skyrim is 'assumed' to be owned by the player unless it's specifically set an owner and perhaps the code that removes items from the player when the guard confiscates your stolen stuff is only checking that the item has ANY owner and doesn't specifically check if the player is the owner -> it's possible it's a specific bug in the code for bounty confiscations. I mean if the player is the owner then the guard shouldn't be taking the item right? This is just a theory I have but who knows.

But I will need to change anything in MWA that sets the player as the owner to avoid the same problem. 

Is anyone else seeing items as stolen? Can't say I've seen it myself. 

On 12/12/2019 at 3:14 AM, Para55505 said:

Once I started noticing this issue, I tried testing it on other pieces of armor (go into combat naked and try to equip stuff), and it happens with all pieces of armor except the shield.

I'll check that out when I get some time. I don't play with the option off so it's entirely possible it's not turning off. 

On 12/13/2019 at 12:41 AM, Werewerere said:

This might be stupid. Or genius. It comes off as arrogant, for sure. But hear me out:

I, a person who has never touched the CK before, have an idea - I think it could be really neat if this mod handled something like dirt as well. So armors would have a cleanliness parameter besides the other ones and they'd get dirty over time. I think that'd be neat.

(Personally I'd be fine even if it was just a tracking thing with no actual effects. Or maybe it could become a framework and other mods would expand on it. Wow)

Thoughts?

It's possible. I think. But

1. What would be the point? I think (and it's been a really long time so I could definitely be wrong but) it's possible to do some trickery via NiOverride. There are snow mods that apply a snow effect to armor only so If an actual dirt visual could be applied to the armor itself then that might be interesting but that leads me to point 2. 

2. Would it be worth it really? And

3. Would it turn skyrim into a clothes washing simulator? :D

36 minutes ago, legraf said:

I just checked it out there. 

Ownership is only being set in two scripts. _MWA_ScanContainersAlias and _MWA_ArmorDestruction.

_MWA_ScanContainersAlias sets the owner to none. So that shouldn't be a problem. 

_MWA_ArmorDestruction does set the owner to the player but that's only for the 'destroyed' objects that you drop when an armor/weapon is damaged beyond use. 

52 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

Is anyone else seeing items as stolen? Can't say I've seen it myself. 

I can report seeing items marked as stolen (that shouldn't be) as well.  It seems incredibly random though.  

39 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

I'll check that out when I get some time. I don't play with the option off so it's entirely possible it's not turning off. 

Thank you for looking into this.  Not sure if it helps, but I "fixed" this problem for me using TES5edit, going to Magic Effects - Script Name _MWA_PlayerCombatDetect and removing the script property CombatArmorEquip.

Despite the few bugs, overall the mod works quite well and I am enjoying it very much!  Thank you.

Para

9 minutes ago, Para55505 said:

I can report seeing items marked as stolen (that shouldn't be) as well.  It seems incredibly random though.  

Is there any common denominator with the objects? 

Are they from the same container? Are they cursed?

DropObject() is still a potential culprit but I would have thought all items in the container would have the same issue if that was the case. And cursing an item doesn't drop the object again as far as I remember. 

10 minutes ago, Para55505 said:

Thank you for looking into this.  Not sure if it helps, but I "fixed" this problem for me using TES5edit, going to Magic Effects - Script Name _MWA_PlayerCombatDetect and removing the script property CombatArmorEquip.

I can't recommend removing properties. That may cause issues down the line. 

Hello,

As an fyi I've encountered a funny bug with one of Ordinator's enchanting perks : conservation.

The perk is supposed to let you keep the item when you learn its enchantment, but with MWA active... it spawned ~20 copies of the original item after it was destroyed and re-added to my inventory. I've since removed the perk from my character because as funny as it is, cleaning up  by disabling and markfordeleting each copy isn't.

1 hour ago, Monoman1 said:

I will test further, but I may have been barking up the wrong tree.  In my current playthrough I haven't seen this (though as Para55505 remarks, it's frustratingly random).  The one possibly-significant change I've made this go is disabling SLSurvival.  Which I'm missing terribly.  But I haven't noticed this "stolen/not stolen" issue yet, despite looting a fair bit.

In the past, I definitely associated it with looting from bodies, but possibly only because that's where most items come from.  I also "felt", very vague I know, that I had other items being confiscated by guards when paying fines that weren't marked as stolen at all, but apparently were still considered "not mine to keep".  Again, sorry for the vagueness, next time I see it I'll dig deeper.

1 hour ago, Monoman1 said:

DropObject() is still a potential culprit but I would have thought all items in the container would have the same issue if that was the case. And cursing an item doesn't drop the object again as far as I remember. 

I can't recommend removing properties. That may cause issues down the line. 

Regarding stolen objects; I'm at a loss for common denominator at the moment but I haven't looked into it too deep.  Only thing I can tell you right now is that I do not play with cursed objects on.  I will keep a better eye out for this in the future for you.

Regarding removing the property; I'm willing to take the risk with removing that property because it was game breaking to me and I would much rather continue using your wonderful mod.

Para

2 hours ago, legraf said:

I will test further, but I may have been barking up the wrong tree.  In my current playthrough I haven't seen this (though as Para55505 remarks, it's frustratingly random).  The one possibly-significant change I've made this go is disabling SLSurvival.  Which I'm missing terribly.  But I haven't noticed this "stolen/not stolen" issue yet, despite looting a fair bit.

In the past, I definitely associated it with looting from bodies, but possibly only because that's where most items come from.  I also "felt", very vague I know, that I had other items being confiscated by guards when paying fines that weren't marked as stolen at all, but apparently were still considered "not mine to keep".  Again, sorry for the vagueness, next time I see it I'll dig deeper.

Hmm. I'm not sure. As far as I can remember SLS doesn't mess with loot on corpses.

It's not SetActorOwner() as that's only done on the scattered gold coins and licences. 

It COULD be DropObject(), which is done:

1. When items are stripped off you during 'aggressive events'. This isn't used a whole lot I don't think. Only places I can think of where it is used is the simply knock scenario and maybe the 'accessories?' dialogue introduction for devious devices at the toll gates. 

2. Amputations (which seems more likely). When you get a hand cut off and the weapon/shield is dropped on the ground. Or if both hands are cut off and you try to pick up something from the game world and it has a chance to drop again (slip out from your stumps)

I can't test any of this right now as I've no gaming pc. 

For dropobject to fuck things up you probably need to be in an 'owned cell'. Like an npcs home etc. I believe the object dropped can automatically inherit the cell ownership sometimes but I'm not sure of the exact circumstances. 

I have an issue with Stormfang (unique weapon dropped by a bandit leader on Solstheim)

Weapon degradation is turned off but this constantly breaks. First time I thought maybe it was a one off as I had upgraded to the newest version but this one just broke too.
I'll add it to the invulnerable list.

Edit: Made no difference, even added to the immune list it broke next combat. Similar to the way the Bloodskal blade does. Does your mod not recognise anything from Dragonborn? I recall you mentioned not having it when I first said about the Blaadskal blade.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:18 PM, Mez558 said:

I have an issue with Stormfang (unique weapon dropped by a bandit leader on Solstheim)

Weapon degradation is turned off but this constantly breaks. First time I thought maybe it was a one off as I had upgraded to the newest version but this one just broke too.
I'll add it to the invulnerable list.

Edit: Made no difference, even added to the immune list it broke next combat. Similar to the way the Bloodskal blade does. Does your mod not recognise anything from Dragonborn? I recall you mentioned not having it when I first said about the Blaadskal blade.

I have dragonborn. Have had it since it released. I just haven't actually played it yet. 

I thought I added all quest object to the immune list an update or two ago. Obviously not. Doesn't explain why adding it isn't working. Perhaps because it's a special quest type item it might need to be made immune before being loaded. 

I'll check it out when I can. Currently focused on an update for SLS. 

On 12/14/2019 at 8:09 PM, Clockwinding said:

Hello,

As an fyi I've encountered a funny bug with one of Ordinator's enchanting perks : conservation.

The perk is supposed to let you keep the item when you learn its enchantment, but with MWA active... it spawned ~20 copies of the original item after it was destroyed and re-added to my inventory. I've since removed the perk from my character because as funny as it is, cleaning up  by disabling and markfordeleting each copy isn't.

Ah my old friend ordinator. Yea someone mentioned this before. Not sure if there's anything I can do about it but I'll check out the behaviour when I can. 

27 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

I have dragonborn. Have had it since it released. I just haven't actually played it yet. 

I thought I added all quest object to the immune list an update or two ago. Obviously not. Doesn't explain why adding it isn't working. Perhaps because it's a special quest type item it might need to be made immune before being loaded. 

I'll check it out when I can. Currently focused on an update for SLS. 

It may have been just a glitch due to the update or something and is now be working

1st time it happened the weapon was damaged beyond repair. It was just called "Damaged" This weapon I had obtained while using an older version (weapon degradation was still turned off) and I upgraded to the latest version while I still had it.

I used console to give me another one and had a Alvor sort out the durability but this one also broke, however it was repairable so rather than use console again I had it fixed and so far I have seen no degradation. Odd but I'll take it.

10 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

It may have been just a glitch due to the update or something and is now be working

1st time it happened the weapon was damaged beyond repair. It was just called "Damaged" This weapon I had obtained while using an older version (weapon degradation was still turned off) and I upgraded to the latest version while I still had it.

I used console to give me another one and had a Alvor sort out the durability but this one also broke, however it was repairable so rather than use console again I had it fixed and so far I have seen no degradation. Odd but I'll take it.

Mmm. There's odd interaction between MWA and quest type items like that. The jagged crown used to just disappear when picked up. 

I'll check into it later. If I don't remember, remind me. I've got a lot of things going on. 

On 12/14/2019 at 6:53 PM, Monoman1 said:

It's possible. I think. But

1. What would be the point? I think (and it's been a really long time so I could definitely be wrong but) it's possible to do some trickery via NiOverride. There are snow mods that apply a snow effect to armor only so If an actual dirt visual could be applied to the armor itself then that might be interesting but that leads me to point 2. 

2. Would it be worth it really? And

3. Would it turn skyrim into a clothes washing simulator? :D

1. I think of it as a way to visually show wear & tear without modifying the armor itself. Its weird when an armor on the verge of collapsing looks pristine, so that way there'll be a reason for it (it just got cleaned) or SOME negative visual effect. And I like the RP aspect of it.

3. All depends on how long it takes for the armor to get dirty. and it's not like you have to clean it, there's no reason for dirtiness to affect more than speechcraft and maybe disease resistance. and cleaning could be tied to the repairs, so whenever you pay for those it gets cleaned as well.

2. Not really

Still looking for a pattern with stolen objects.  From what I have noticed so far, it has only been armor, and the objects do not look like I would be stealing them until afterwards when I look in the inventory.  It still seems very much random.

Also had an issue with quest items you should know about.  Playing thieves guild quest line and my nightingale armor that I received was random gender, size, and durability.

Para

On 12/25/2019 at 8:18 PM, Para55505 said:

Still looking for a pattern with stolen objects.  From what I have noticed so far, it has only been armor, and the objects do not look like I would be stealing them until afterwards when I look in the inventory.  It still seems very much random.

That's what I'm seeing as well.  Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to catch a specific event where this happens, but just now I cleared the vampire lair near Morthal (Movarth's lair).  I picked up two cursed armour items in looting the vampires & furniture - and since these were both marked with the same gender/size restriction (F28) I'm thinking they must have come from looting a body, not randomly-generated in a chest.  Specifically they would have come from one of the two female vampires (not Morvarth or a thrall).  Not from Alva either, she had been killed earlier.  Will continue observing.

On 12/26/2019 at 3:18 AM, Para55505 said:

Also had an issue with quest items you should know about.  Playing thieves guild quest line and my nightingale armor that I received was random gender, size, and durability.

Para

16 minutes ago, legraf said:

That's what I'm seeing as well.  Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to catch a specific event where this happens, but just now I cleared the vampire lair near Morthal (Movarth's lair).  I picked up two cursed armour items in looting the vampires & furniture - and since these were both marked with the same gender/size restriction (F28) I'm thinking they must have come from looting a body, not randomly-generated in a chest.  Specifically they would have come from one of the two female vampires (not Morvarth or a thrall).  Not from Alva either, she had been killed earlier.  Will continue observing.

The fact that it's not appearing on weapons kind of makes it seem like it's not MWA because as far as I remember everything in MWA is pretty much treated the same whether weapons or armors (weapons can be cursed too for example)