What book are you reading currently?

Being a Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan I have started to reread "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant". Three sets of books telling a long and in-depth story of one mans strange inter-dimensional life. I had to unknowingly wait 20 years for the last set. Each book a story unto itself and each set a chapter in his life. Thomas leads a bleak and solitary life here but is a bonified hero in the alternate fantasy land.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

1. Lord Foul's Bane (1977)
  2. The Illearth War (1978)
  3. The Power that Preserves (1979)

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

1. The Wounded Land (1980)
  2. The One Tree (1982)
  3. White Gold Wielder (1983)

The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

1. The Runes of the Earth (2004)
  2. Fatal Revenant (2007)
  3. Against All Things Ending (2010)
  4. The Last Dark (2013)

Oh I also loved the Xanth book series, it started out as a trilogy that grew to like 21 or 22 books. Another alternate dimension fantasy land that is both humorous and captivating (that is if stupid puns are your thing).

18 hours ago, wokking56 said:

Oh I also loved the Xanth book series, it started out as a trilogy that grew to like 21 or 22 books. Another alternate dimension fantasy land that is both humorous and captivating (that is if stupid puns are your thing).

Am (errr was.... before I found BBS and usent) a big Piers Anthony fan, though I started with Split Infinity and went to A Spell of Chameleon (?).   

I would have expected some here  to mention the Gor series, but........after about the fifth or sixth one, it becomes....bland.

Does anyone remember a book called "Master of the Five Magics"? 

• 2 weeks later...

I started reading the Goblin Slayer manga a while back so I've also picked up book 1 of the light novel.  I'll be continuing my read through of the English translation of The Devil is a Part-Timer when book 12 comes out next week; and I just finished The Victory Part 1, which is a Warhammer 40k omnibus for the Gaunt's Ghosts series.  I'm also reading through Guns of the South which is an old Harry Turtledove alternate history of the American Civil War yet again.

I've been reading a collection of Aeschylus' plays compiled and published by Penguin Books.

It is fascinating to observe the gradual advancement of human storytelling techniques over the centuries so I decided to take a look back to the era before the invention of the Three-Act Play, when individual plays would serve as chapters in an ongoing tale. 

All things considered, the monologues and dialogues alike hold up remarkably well even to this day.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:47 AM, legendarytoyou said:

Eh currently my own work.  I'm a part time author and do revisions on a daily basis.  Rewrite's, spellcheck etc.  Might publish eventually if and when I get it done.  I am my own worst enemy in that regard; I'm a notorious procrastinator ?

I am with you there, I have written about 6 short stories that weren't half bad. I have however been "trying" to write a book for like 3 years now. I am maybe halfway through it and so far it sucks. Constantly reworking and changing things to stay on plot and sound coherent.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 5:47 PM, legendarytoyou said:

Eh currently my own work.  I'm a part time author and do revisions on a daily basis.  Rewrite's, spellcheck etc.  Might publish eventually if and when I get it done.  I am my own worst enemy in that regard; I'm a notorious procrastinator ?

Procrastinators tend to have higher IQ score. Two edge sword tho cuz they overanalyze, yet again, being late is their strong side. Many great minds ,, took their time" , to bring something truly of value, Edison, Einshtein, Jobs, now Musk is often late, but so be it. 

Oh and the book is ,, Thinking Fast & Slow " - about intuition based decisions.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler
41 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I finally got a copy of Dante's Divine Comedy over Xmas and I'm reading through it. Rather descriptive of the Nine Levels of Hell. Though I still agree with Voltaire that, "Hell is other people."

Thanks for the education Lemming. I thought the quote was from Sartre's play No Exit. "Live and learn."

Spoiler
Just now, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Turns out you're right. It was Jean-Paul Sartre. I have a hard time keeping my philosophers straight. :classic_tongue:

Shit, I'm sorry. I thought that you were right!

Oh well, at the risk of offending everyone and everything French, one French philosopher (or should I say philosophe) is much like another. ?

37 minutes ago, Psalam said:

Shit, I'm sorry. I thought that you were right!

39 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I have a hard time keeping my philosophers straight

Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur.

Love truth but pardon error.

Come on :classic_wink: You all have a 2nd attempt to get the trophy. Anybody wants to name the book? :classic_angel:

Is is blasphemy to say that I do not like the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind? I got to halfway the second book on vacation, but I compared his style of writing to another writer with the same first name. Anyway, books that I can advice to you are:

Terry Pratchett: The Discworld novels

This is fantasy with a lot of humor and contains funny twisted logic and play of words. One advice though, do not start with the first book. Either start with book 6 (Wyrd Sisters) or book 8 (Guards! Guards!). The setting is a world in the shape of a disc, that is carried by four elephants that stand on the shell of a giant turtle, the great A'Tuin. It are separate stories that all play out in the same world, with some returning characters. For instance, 'Guards Guards' is the first book that focus on the 'City Watch'.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman: Good Omens

This is a parody on the movie 'Omens', the birth of an Anit-Christ.

Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy

This describes an absurd word with aliens and stupid things happening for stupid reasons (including why god ceased to exist).

Timur Vermes: Er ist wieder da

Long story short, it is 2011 and Adulf Hilter awakes in a (for him) strange Germany. And the people just assume he is a method actor. I have to admit, I bought the book in German and as I am not very fluent in German while the language used is often a bit colorful, I have yet to finish it.

Just finished re-reading Mona Lisa Cyberpunk during my flight home today.

I thought there were more than 8 books from Sapwosky. (Already read all of them.)

Damn I need a new book to read.