What book are you reading currently?

23 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Purity without being Pollyanna and power without being Mary Sue are lost causes in modern literature.  I doubt anyone writing now could pull off Sigfried's flaws without making him a douche.  IMO, audiences today want to insert themselves into the role of the protagonist, and authors cater to that.  Sacrifice the overarching morality to make it 'relatable'.

I am curious about that. Mary Sue is a relatively modern term coined by the Star Trek franchise. One does tend to fantasize fiction of the past as that is the only thing that survives the test of time. As a rule of thumb people have changed in modern times so some of the culture may unintentionally rub off on a writer's work of fiction.

My question is this: In twenty so years will we remember the shitty books of now with their disgustingly boring paragons? I do hope so:heart:

Modern heroes like Superman are such narcissistic dicks without even meaning to. And it is glorious.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Jim Butcher's "Battle Ground" which is the second half of the book "Peace Talks." It was nice to see him back on form. It was the best Harry Dresden book in a while with all the things that make the protagonist so memorable. It's too bad the TV series didn't work out.

I'm rereading "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein. It has been decades since I last read it and I found that, consciously, at least, I had forgotten a great deal of it. However, subconsciously I appear to have retained part of it. Here is a small portion of the text:

"Nope. Gadflies are necessary. But it's well to look at the new rascals before you turn your personal rascals out. Democracy is a poor system; the only thing that can be said for it is that it's eight times as good as any other method. Its worst fault is that its leaders reflect their constituents -- a low level, but what can you expect?"

I gave this a fist pump! It has been my personal political philosophy for some time but I had forgotten the source evidently.

• 2 weeks later...

I am gonna have to go back and reread the harry dresden series, I stopped when Harry got shot

Just read Wearing the Cape series by Marion G Harmon. if you love comics then you might just love this series. the main protagonist is a young lady that gets super powers when a terrorist drops a major overpass on her.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading a book about thelogy and its sacraments. might not be something to recommend everyone but if you are into knowledge like me then you might give it a shot. its called Summa Tehologica 14 Tertia Pras, The Sacraments.

Heres a rough describtion about the Content of the Book.

Spoiler

The Summa Theologica (or the Summa Theologiae or simply the Summa, written 1265–1274) is the most famous work of Thomas Aquinas (c. 1225–1274) although it was never finished. It was intended as a manual for beginners and a compilation of all of the main theological teachings of that time. It summarizes the reasoning for almost all points of Christian theology in the West, which, before the Protestant Reformation, subsisted solely in the Roman Catholic Church. The Summa's topics follow a cycle: the existence of God, God's creation, Man, Man's purpose, Christ, the Sacraments, and back to God.