Mod Rewards on Nexus?

KoolHndLuke

1 hour ago, Alkpaz said:

How is donating to modders any different than "tipping" on Chaturbate? 

Oh well, the mod you've donated for mere accidentally is unavailable (or in private) when you want to play...  ?

3 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Seriously. Remember when modding was about freely sharing ideas and work? Now if you want folks to keep going and finish working on their mods you have to slip them some cash.

To be honest i don't remember... I remember buying a CD with c&c1 mods, took 1 month to arrive, at the time i don't understand that was others work, but i pay 20 dollars for that CD...

Don't worry, this kind of stuff always happens from time to time, and modders will continue to make stuff, money will not change that...

18 hours ago, ralfetas said:

To be honest i don't remember... I remember buying a CD with c&c1 mods, took 1 month to arrive, at the time i don't understand that was others work, but i pay 20 dollars for that CD...

Don't worry, this kind of stuff always happens from time to time, and modders will continue to make stuff, money will not change that...

My time on this Earth taught me one thing... it's that the ability of money to change people never changes.

Spoiler
1 minute ago, Jazzman said:

My time on this Earth taught me one thing... it's that the ability of money to change people never changes.

I genuinely value your opinion so I'll ask. Does money really change people or does money bring out what was already there and never had the opportunity to see the light of day?

1 hour ago, Psalam said:
  Hide contents

I genuinely value your opinion so I'll ask. Does money really change people or does money bring out what was already there and never had the opportunity to see the light of day?

In essence? The latter. So money as the catalyst indeed does change people with a certain, widespread mindset, sth. we realize first in the moment of change. The amount of mere expected or actually received money (value) that causes the change varies extremely from person to person. What all these people have in common is, at a certain point in time - when the price is right - they sell all their ideals of old for the proverbial thirty pieces of silver, no matter if it's a longstanding free modder or a high ranking political peace apostle in sneakers. The former all over sudden demands money for the good work and the latter turns out of the blue into a leading "bomb 'em to hell" warmonger wearing Italian shoes, storybook. I mean, it's up to us on the sidelines to buy the sudden paradigm shift of these people or not... and when we do, any discussion about the pros and cons ends here and now.

Spoiler
19 minutes ago, Jazzman said:

In essence? The latter. So money indeed does change people with a certain, widespread mindset, sth. we realize first in the moment of change. The amount of mere expected or actually received money (value) that causes the change varies extremely from person to person. What all these people have in common is, at a certain point in time - when the price is right - they sell all their ideals of old for the proverbial thirty pieces of silver, no matter if it's a longstanding free modder or a high ranking political peace apostle in sneakers. The former all over sudden demands money for the good work and the latter turns out of the blue into a leading "bomb 'em to hell" warmonger wearing Italian shoes, storybook. I mean, it's up to us on the sidelines to buy the sudden paradigm shift or not...

Glad to hear it. It's the conclusion that, over my many years, I have also reached. Of course, it may just mean we're both wrong.

14 minutes ago, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Glad to hear it. It's the conclusion that, over my many years, I have also reached. Of course, it may just mean we're both wrong.

It's not important whether we're right or wrong. Important is only that one already knows how to deal with the times that are changing, not to take an arrow in the knee that is.

Spoiler
4 minutes ago, Jazzman said:

It's not important whether we're right or wrong. Important is only that one already knows how to deal with the times that are changing, not to take an arrow in the knee that is.

Absolutely true and gloriously well said.

6 hours ago, Jazzman said:

6 hours ago, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Absolutely true and gloriously well said.

Can i get in the middle of this? :)

To be honest, i don't think money is a problem, like the saying, what changes the medicine to a poison is the dosage, or something like this, too much money and you get problems, too little you get problems too, i think too much or too little is like alcohol, will bring out what you have kept inside you, the good and the bad, same goes for everything, like politicians you mention... i know, i live in Brasil LOL!

But putting this on the modding scene, money cannot change the modding scene, there is just no way too... If nexus start to charge, other site will rise, bethesda is a joke on this and they cannot publish some mods, there is no money value on modding, and if by a miracle modding gets a value, bethesda will take it with stuff like CC. I think we should not worry about this...

Spoiler
8 hours ago, ralfetas said:

Can i get in the middle of this? :)

To be honest, i don't think money is a problem, like the saying, what changes the medicine to a poison is the dosage, or something like this, too much money and you get problems, too little you get problems too, i think too much or too little is like alcohol, will bring out what you have kept inside you, the good and the bad, same goes for everything, like politicians you mention... i know, i live in Brasil LOL!

But putting this on the modding scene, money cannot change the modding scene, there is just no way too... If nexus start to charge, other site will rise, bethesda is a joke on this and they cannot publish some mods, there is no money value on modding, and if by a miracle modding gets a value, bethesda will take it with stuff like CC. I think we should not worry about this...

I don't speak for Jazzman, of course, but the point of posting on a thread is to get everyone's input. So, welcome aboard.

Hopefully, CPU won't be too angry with me if I do a small Biblical quote here. What I hear you saying is that "money is the root of all evil" is not true (it is also a misquote). The true quote is "the love of money is the root of all evil" and that is a thing. ?

10 hours ago, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't speak for Jazzman, of course, but the point of posting on a thread is to get everyone's input. So, welcome aboard.

Hopefully, CPU won't be too angry with me if I do a small Biblical quote here. What I hear you saying is that "money is the root of all evil" is not true (it is also a misquote). The true quote is "the love of money is the root of all evil" and that is a thing. ?

I will be not.

I still like the respectful way everyone is giving his/her opinion.

Just because I am here, my opinion.

Nothing is free in life but the price should be proportional to the actual good.

Money is just one way to exchange goods. Will anyone will argue in a sentece like "I do this script for you if you do this mesh for me"?

Premiating people contributing to the community (also with little gift cards) is not bad (and most of modders just hop out, like me, but no protests.)

Giving something to someone as contribution or as a gift is something that should be praised.

Putting shitty thing behind a paywall is just bad (and will not be tolerated.)

Conclusion. Mod rewards on Nexus? It is not a payment, not a paywall but just a small contribution. People will abuse? For sure.

I oped out and I give 10$ month on the Patreon of Nexus just to increase the actual money that will redistributed to opt-in modders.

1 hour ago, CPU said:

Just because I am here, my opinion.

Nothing is free in life but the price should be proportional to the actual good.

Money is just one way to exchange goods. Will anyone will argue in a sentence like "I do this script for you if you do this mesh for me"?

Premiating people contributing to the community (also with little gift cards) is not bad (and most of modders just hop out, like me, but no protests.)

Giving something to someone as contribution or as a gift is something that should be praised.

Putting shitty thing behind a paywall is just bad (and will not be tolerated.)

Conclusion. Mod rewards on Nexus? It is not a payment, not a paywall but just a small contribution. People will abuse? For sure.

I oped out and I give 10$ month on the Patreon of Nexus just to increase the actual money that will redistributed to opt-in modders.

This is what I remember people doing when I started here. Mesh artist making deals with script authors and script authors making deals with animation artist... and all the inbetween. This was the old community before money was introduced that I remembered.

The "shitty things behind a paywall is just bad (and will not be tolerated)" is the case here. but nobody is stopping someone from doing just this just not here. They can get the info out there on other forms and put their stuff behind the pay wall if they decided to.  As time goes on I believe that if there is any money... more and more will move in that direction.  Some will have theirs free (there will always be someone willing to distribute there stuff for free regardless) and others only pay to play.. mods will likely start needing parts of those paid mods to function partially or even at all.

I am not against authors, artist, etc getting something for their efforts. Be it praises. (everyone here knows I praise the work of others even if I don't actively use their mods or even personally like the paths that they did. I still appreciate the effort they put out and the contribution to the community which does help others to get inspired and some of those will make those mods that I really enjoy and perhaps find is a "must have" mod for my load order for all time.

I have been thinking on this and I don't really "like" the idea of Nexus program but that is due to my thoughts of it being corrupted and skued to a few favored members, however, In principle I don't think if it works well and is honest it is a harmful thing. CPU stated he opted out which means others can as well which is a good thing. More can go to those that might really need it (to get basic upgrades on their computer for example, out of work which someone I know here here which was a modder was in bad shape in the past and needed help for example) We don't know what or why they are wanting this. Might be the only opportunity for them to get any funds. There was a Nexus author that was reporting he had cancer and was being treated... Likely someone like that could use a little help from time to time.

So do I like the idea of money to modders... no, in general I don't. I feel it can only lead to further troubles and difficulties for the community and don't see it as a major benefit. However, I can't begrudge someone taking opportunities placed in front of them for the efforts they took to provide something for others to enjoy.

The following is an old document on modding that I think is really great and holds many of the core principles that I believe a mod author should adhere to. if possible.

http://wryemusings.com/Cathedral vs. Parlor.html

1 hour ago, RitualClarity said:

Hell, Nexus is killing the Cathedral philosophy of modding with their hair-brained, nonsensical policies on permissions. To make things worse, they enforce these rules sporadically. Also, I have to agree that the "pie" that they are sharing will most likely go to *favorites* in the community.

LL does the best of espousing the Cathedral philosophy of modding from what I can tell. People here share their stuff and just want credit for their work. In fact, some authors here encourage others to try and do better! I get more tips on modding here than I ever have there.

5 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Hell, Nexus is killing the Cathedral philosophy of modding with their hair-brained, nonsensical policies on permissions. To make things worse, they enforce these rules sporadically. Also, I have to agree that the "pie" that they are sharing will most likely go to *favorites* in the community.

I believe, (personal opinion) is that most people woudn't even really think much one way or another so long as they got their mods. That is if there was actual trust that everything that was going on was on the level and not to favorites or able to be skewed or scammed easily. I honestly believe many users actually would want their favorite author(s) to be able to get rewards and benefits. However, with the past and how things are, it is so very hard to trust this is above board and steps are being taken to prevent scams and other tricks to gain an unfair advantage. At least that is my belief. :D

13 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

This is what I remember people doing when I started here. Mesh artist making deals with script authors and script authors making deals with animation artist... and all the inbetween. This was the old community before money was introduced that I remembered.

That was already the case when a little girl started to mess with the code and the average young FO4 player of today was still fluid. It was literally players paradise, everything was possible and the free mods fell like ripe fruits from the community tree of knowledge. The foundation of the knowledge base was laid back then. Users hadn't yet started to demand things all the time and since hardly anybody had money, nobody wanted to prey on the weaker, the unskilled, the even poorer, demanding cash for the good work. And work, utterly time-consuming work modding was all along. Oh yeah. I almost risked to lose a year in school because of it.

Was it worth it? It was. No, I regret nothing.

Spoiler

Since I was busy with the code I learnt to see things past the apparent, things we could manipulate to change the gameplay, the AI in ways unseen before. It was almost like The Matrix, where most people just see lines of code whereas some see blondes, brunettes and redheads. And I'm very grateful for the opportunity given to me by the community and the unnamed renegade employee that leaked the official decode-code tool required to change anything in the game I played.

So yes, it's sad for me to see paradise getting slowly conquered by greed, by folks that want it all and want it now, unskilled users (players) and skilled (modders) alike, let alone site owners and gaming companies.

And the worst thing of all - I can't change anything 'cause the times they are a changin'...

Some numbers.

On 13 June 2018, these are the numbers of people that did Opt-In:

Mods 10,955 on 260,515 (4.2%)
Authors 2,674 of 82,212 (3.25%)

Source: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/13637

Nexus does not oblige people to do it. And they are just giving gifts (between 7k and 10k $ per month) to people to sustain the modding.

Again, not to paywall, just to give a small compensation to who wants it.

I really don't see any problem in an action like that.

It is NOT paid modding and not paywalling.

We did (better, a member of LLab did) a contest to do the best looking Sim for Sims 4. Check

The member gave a gift card to the winner.

Is that paid modding? No was something similar to Mod rewards (but 10,000 times smaller.)

I personally authorized the modder ( @ExSimmer ) to do it.

1 hour ago, CPU said:

Source: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/13637

Nexus does not oblige people to do it. And they are just giving gifts (between 7k and 10k $ per month) to people to sustain the modding.

Again, not to paywall, just to give a small compensation to who wants it.

I really don't see any problem in an action like that.

It is NOT paid modding and not paywalling.

@ExSimmer

Please watch Gopher's remarks on the Nexus' DP System again.

You'll understand that (in the temporary absence of an entrance fee) it works like this:

The donor donates money on a monthly base (how convenient) not to a specific modder of their liking but into a mod pool. That pool money gets redistributed to all the mods that participate in the scheme according to their received donation points.

Things get irritating 'cause the redistributed money is also a function of the number of mods that participate (assuming that they get at least one dp), meaning, the higher the number of mods that participate, the lower the amount of money a single mod might receive in the redistribution. When the increasing number of mods doesn't correlate to an increasing number of donors (e.g. one uploads tons of mini mods; the number of potential donors is simply limited), actually not much is to be received by the average participant in the scheme. The money gets sucked up by the mini minis cos they are many and one has actually donated largely to trivial stuff, thus perhaps even fueling the spread of click bait mods. Mod evolution spells differently tho.

So I for one prefer 'natural selection', the targeted donation. The day I donate money to mods I don't like or care about has not yet come. Convince me otherwise...

Personally I do not agree, @Jazzman 

I like to contributo to the anonymous pool, based on "how many downloads" or similar.

And I do also contribute directly to some specific modders.

In most cases I also never used actively their mods.

For me is just to sustain someone. In some cases generic, in some specific.

Archived