The good movies thread

Myst42

Another under-the-radar good movie:  A Shock to the System starring Michael Caine.  Love watching this after a really bad day at the office.

I really like Falling Down:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

I'm not sure if it is an under the radar movie, but it is pretty old (1993) and it definitely is fun to watch after a bad day at the office!!!!!

The bazooka scene to give the construction workers something to "really" fix is especially hilarious!

• 3 weeks later...

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, District 9, Lucky Number Slevin, The Usual Suspects, Moon, & Payback are a few of the ones I can watch over and over...

outlaw josie wales, mcclintok, the good, the bad and the ugly, open range, silverado,  good westerns

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just watched Silence by Martin Scorcese which features heavyweights like Ciaran Hinds, and Liam neeson and some familiar faces like Andrew Garfield (Spider-Man) and Adam Driver (Kylo Ren from Star Wars EP.VII)...kinda slow but if you're after a good storytelling with a lot of emotion then by golly this will certainly blow your knockers off... never new Andrew could act well if he's not webswinging in another universe...

as for my top movies of all time in no particular order:

The Last Samurai

The last of the Mohicans

Braveheart

The Patriot

Saving Private Ryan

Band of Brothers (well not technically a movie but a mini-series)

Valkyrie

Star Wars EP. IV-VI (4-6)

might consider adding Star Wars: Rogue One

The Wolf on Wall Street

The Pianist

Schindler's List

Se7en

Fight Club

those are just the movies I can recall...

Times change as has my taste in cinema. I was lucky to grow up in the 60's with Harryhausen films like Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts. As well as early Disney stuff and others like Fantastic Voyage, Planet of the Apes, etc. Color TV was getting popular and Color movies on TV was awesome.

The young adults from the 60's got older and started making more fantastic movies: Spielberg, Lucas, etc. (Star Wars advertising was so obnoxious I didn't see it for 10 months).

Since I agree with most people on today's films regardless of being reboots or not (young people need exposure to these older stories) I'll mention some older ones I still watch from time to time.

The 7 faces of Dr. Lao

Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry

Forbidden Planet

Spartacus

Ben-Hur

Bullitt

These may have dated, but the stories, and performances in my eyes remain valid.

And yes.... Fantasy, Sword and Sandals, SciFi, and Car Chase movies never get old. Lord of the Rings, Fast and Furious, 300, and others shows me my taste may have changed, but not too much :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

I would really like to recommend the little gem District B13 (2004) movie. It's a French movie, but can be found with either English subtitles or dubbing. It features the Parkour inventor David Belle and thus, has a lot of Parkour segments. The stunts are amazing, and the actors really threw themselves into their roles. Not to be mistaken for Brick Mansion which ironically features the same main actor. But it's more or less a (American) rip-off or remake.

It's a small budget movie, but yet has a high production value. There is also a 2nd one, but I find the 1st one superior.

last week I rewatched a movie I've seen before and I really noticed how it was kind of different and refreshing, the videography in particular was very expressive.
I believe the title is "Hanna". I highly recommend it for people who are bored of the usual hollywood movies and appreciate unique ways of filming to set the mood.

Spoiler

300px-Hanna_movie_poster.jpg

trailer on youtube

On 13.11.2017 at 7:57 PM, Leon0803 said:

Everything, aslong as its not 50 Shades.

haha true

For those who like SyFy Channel-grade movies, House of Bones (2010 Movie) is worth a look. Especially if you're a fan of Ravenloft and want a nice example of what living walls could be like. This is the only movie I know of where the house itself is an undead cannibal.

Promethean and Alien: Covenant. Sir Ridley Scott made the original Alien movie and forty years later he can still create instant classics.

Anything by Mel Brooks. He's a master of comedy.

Every Hellraiser movie up to HellworldRevelations was such a sorry excuse that even Clive Barker himself Tweeted it was "NO FUCKIN' CHILD OF MINE!" After the first four movies things go in a more reflective direction as the protagonist(s) face the consequences of their actions. The real appeal is in the way they really mind-fuck the audience.

Anything starring Bruce Campbell. He's made a career of doing cheesy B-movies and his trademark hammy overacting still makes a lot of people laugh. I still giggle whenever I see the scene in Ash vs. Evil Dead S2:E2 where Ash fights a possessed colon. "There's only room for one asshole in this town!" :classic_rolleyes:

On 11/13/2017 at 11:57 AM, Leon0803 said:

Everything, aslong as its not 50 Shades.

Agreed. I honestly couldn't even watch it after reading some of the book; it made me want to laugh and scream at the sheer ignorance. That people honestly think it reflects any reality makes me shudder.

14 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

For those who like SyFy Channel-grade movies, House of Bones (2010 Movie) is worth a look. Especially if you're a fan of Ravenloft and want a nice example of what living walls could be like. This is the only movie I know of where the house itself is an undead cannibal.

Promethean and Alien: Covenant. Sir Ridley Scott made the original Alien movie and forty years later he can still create instant classics.

Anything by Mel Brooks. He's a master of comedy.

Every Hellraiser movie up to HellworldRevelations was such a sorry excuse that even Clive Barker himself Tweeted it was "NO FUCKIN' CHILD OF MINE!" After the first four movies things go in a more reflective direction as the protagonist(s) face the consequences of their actions. The real appeal is in the way they really mind-fuck the audience.

Anything starring Bruce Campbell. He's made a career of doing cheesy B-movies and his trademark hammy overacting still makes a lot of people laugh. I still giggle whenever I see the scene in Ash vs. Evil Dead S2:E2 where Ash fights a possessed colon. "There's only room for one asshole in this town!" :classic_rolleyes:

Agreed. I honestly couldn't even watch it after reading some of the book; it made me want to laugh and scream at the sheer ignorance. That people honestly think it reflects any reality makes me shudder.

Have you read the Rape scene in the 50 shades darker book?

3 hours ago, Leon0803 said:

Lovely. Objectification, violence, victim blaming, all in a writing style that's as bland as distilled water.

Getting back on topic, pretty much anything by Troma Productions if you're into schlock. Surf Nazis Must Die, the Toxic Avenger series, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, pretty much movies that deliberately try to be disgusting, offensive, and have really cheesy special effects. Sometimes ya just gotta quit it with movies that try to be mainstream and refresh the viewing palate with movies that give the big one-finger-salute to being PC.

On 1/16/2018 at 2:17 PM, BloodberrySmoothie said:

last week I rewatched a movie I've seen before and I really noticed how it was kind of different and refreshing, the videography in particular was very expressive.
I believe the title is "Hanna". I highly recommend it for people who are bored of the usual hollywood movies and appreciate unique ways of filming to set the mood.

Agreed.  I really enjoyed that movie.  It felt like a cross between willy wonka gone totally crazy and a 12 year old girl Jason Born movie.  I was so confused as to how I felt, it didn't enjoy it until I watched it for the second time.  The first time through it was just a bit too odd to really get into it.  It definitely had a very different feel than most of the glitzified hollywood stuff.

Just watched Bright with Will Smith.  I know critics panned the shit out of the movie but damn if I didn't enjoy the shit out of it.  I hear they are making a follow up movie and can't wait.  Not much in the way of a story, but a fuckton of violence.  It felt like Die Hard with magic!  What could fucking be better????  Critics never like the good movies.  LOL!

5 minutes ago, gregathit said:

Just watched Bright with Will Smith.  I know critics panned the shit out of the movie but damn if I didn't enjoy the shit out of it.  I hear they are making a follow up movie and can't wait.  Not much in the way of a story, but a fuckton of violence.  It felt like Die Hard with magic!  What could fucking be better????  Critics never like the good movies.  LOL!

I have mixed feelings about the movie. I can say I believe they missed lots of opportunities in story and content. I am interested in the next movie if they make it. I have a feeling that it might be better. The director seems to have been trying to add too much content and set up too much ( Lore, story, etc etc. It is a new concept / world afterall)

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:14 PM, oldrayzor said:

I suppose it's no surprise that everyone likes SF or Action in a gaming community. I LOVE film. But mostly weird film. "Old Boy"  and the entire vengeance trilogy by Park Chan-wook . Anything by the great Kar Wai Wong. And don't get me started on Luis Buñuel or David Lynch! And a little John Waters hurt nobody. Much.

I just saw Pink Flamingos recently.

I may just be sold on Filth Politics.

Archived