The good movies thread

Myst42

Kingdom of Heaven - the Director's Cut.  It really fills in all the things that weren't explained in the theatrical version. 

The Sword of Xanten/Dark Kingdom, Dragon King.  Definitely the unbutchered European version - pretty good retelling of the Siegfried and the Rhinegold legend. 

Borgia (Canal+ version) Much superior to The Borgias

Black Sails    Very character driven throughout...you'll love Captain Flint and Long John Silver. 

Tristan+Isolde  I could watch it over and over again.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Spartacus.  Both the Kirk Douglas version and the Starz version.  RIP Andy Whitfield. 

The Princess Bride.  Quite simply one of the most *quotable* movies ever. 

Young Frankenstein.  Mel Brook's masterpiece send up of pretty much every horror movie. 

Blazing Saddles    Oh lord.  Mel Brooks sends up the entire Western genre in yet another masterpiece of comedy. (and makes fun/homage of Hedy Lamarr to boot

The Producers    Both the Zero Mostel and Matthew Broderick versions.  The Broderick version for a more fleshed out "Springtime for Hitler" dance number that's riotious.

Alien    - a classic in it's own right.

Blade Runner - the original.  The opening sequence of a futuristically dismal and garishly lit Los Angeles really lays the setting for the entire movie. 

Rome  (HBO series)  It sucked that HBO cut it off so soon.  It was a outstanding series

Alexander - The Director's Cut.  It wasn't particularly great the first time around, but the Director's Cut is pretty good. 

Troy     Just for the fight scenes alone with  Hector/Ajax and the Achilles/Hector battles being the highlights. 

Fright Night  - the original with Chris Sarandon.  IMHO it brought back the vampire movie genre by itself, and Roddy McDowall's performance is pretty good

Tombstone  - Just for Val Kilmer's performance as Doc Holliday alone. He stole the entire movie by himself. 

Jaws   - Robert Shaw's Quint speech about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis is great.  The story has it that Shaw was completely drunk when he tried to do that speech and it took him several tries (and failing miserably each time) and the next day he got sober..and hit it.  And there's the story about Richard Dreyfus slapping a glass of whiskey out of Shaw's hand which nearly ended in a fight.  (A waste of a perfectly good whiskey, imho)

Band of Brothers

Stalingrad  (the 1993 Vilsmeier version)

Das Boot  (the really LONG uncut version) 

Re-Animator    It's a cult classic and deservedly so.   From Beyond is almost right up there with it too. 

SuperTroopers    Definitely a beer and pot type of movie. 

And of course...

True Detective   Season 1.   It's nothing short of perfect with Matt McConaughey having the performance of his life, although Woody Harrelson was great too. 

And in the "it's so bad that it's so good department" 

Showgirls.  LOL  The epilepsy type orgasm in the pool had me crying from laughing so hard. 

On 1/22/2018 at 10:33 PM, Celedhring said:

SuperTroopers    Definitely a beer and pot type of movie. 

LOL!!  We were just talking about this and have decided we are taking the day off to drink beer and go to the opening of super troopers 2 (meow).  If it is half as good as the first movie, it'll be worth it (meow).  Who wants a mustache ride????????

Zombi 2 and Zombi 3, Lucio Fulci's unofficial sequels to the original Dawn of the Dead by Romero. Cult classics of the zombie genre. I shouldn't even have to mention Romero's own Dead movies as good ones. None of the non-George Romero remakes, though. His daughter did make Dawn of the Dead 2, but it's just not a Romero-zombie movie.

The Evil Bong series. Definitely stoner movies better appreciated while toking. Some of the later ones tie into The Gingerdead Man series, which kind of went downhill after the first without Gary Busey playing the titular character. It takes a freak to play a freak.

The Naked Gun trilogy. Sight gags, slapstick, and spoofs. The three S's of comedy gold.

Prince of Darkness. A bit old, a bit low-budget even for its time, but it makes up for it with a creepy story and solid acting.

City of the Dead. A priest commits suicide in a graveyard and opens a gateway to the underworld. Not Hell, but the Land of the Dead, which proves worse.

Clive Barker's John Carpenter's The Thing. The 1982 version. Body horror at its finest.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. Who says the rednecks are always the psychotic killers? Sometimes they're the heroes.

On 1/22/2018 at 10:33 PM, Celedhring said:

True Detective   Season 1.   It's nothing short of perfect with Matt McConaughey having the performance of his life, although Woody Harrelson was great too.

Agree 100% (also, it's weird how McConaughey went from being pretty much a joke to a legitimately great actor). Too bad S2 was such a let down - it took at least 2/3 of the season before the characters stopped being caricatures, and even then they weren't very interesting. Hopefully S3 will be a return to S1 form. I love the casting of Mahershala Ali. I'm considerably less excited about Stephen Dorff.

17 hours ago, gregathit said:

LOL!!  We were just talking about this and have decided we are taking the day off to drink beer and go to the opening of super troopers 2 (meow).  If it is half as good as the first movie, it'll be worth it (meow).  Who wants a mustache ride????????

You're only at two meows, Car Ramrod. 

14 hours ago, tookachinchilla said:

Agree 100% (also, it's weird how McConaughey went from being pretty much a joke to a legitimately great actor). Too bad S2 was such a let down - it took at least 2/3 of the season before the characters stopped being caricatures, and even then they weren't very interesting. Hopefully S3 will be a return to S1 form. I love the casting of Mahershala Ali. I'm considerably less excited about Stephen Dorff.

Pizzolato (the True Detective creator) has said he'll take his time with S3 this time around instead of trying to rush to meet a deadline like he did with S2.  And I agree S2 was a letdown.  Maybe it was because S1 set the bar so HIGH and creating some truly serious expectations.  It would have been pretty difficult to measure up to S1. But you're right..it just wasn't compelling at all. 

7 hours ago, Celedhring said:

Pizzolato (the True Detective creator) has said he'll take his time with S3 this time around instead of trying to rush to meet a deadline like he did with S2.

As evidenced by the fact that we won't be getting it until next year. Disappointing, but if it results in a better end product, I can wait.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:02 PM, gregathit said:

And the casting of Lynda Carter too as the governor of Vermont(!) *meow* She still looks great even after all those years.  Meow. 

Lucky Number Sleven

Jet Li's Fearless

The Losers

Batman(1989)

Transformers(80s Animated)

The Last Dragon

One Hour Photo

Hackers

Titan A.E.

The Last Starfighter

Can't say I have a top 10 list, but these are some that I either loved right away or was completely surprised when I watched them with skeptical opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived