Time modding vs Actually Playing?

95% modding. Recently bought a PC and i'm trying to get it where I want before I actually start a play through, although its proving tough. Well, one mod in particular is. Hopefully ill get it working and enjoy it soon though, there's still lots that ive yet to do.

Mine is like 70% playing 30% modding, but it can flip the other way depending on whatever it is I'm trying to do.

For anyone that worries about their characters becoming overpowered too easily, use Uncapper.

Use uncapper, but instead of "uncapping"... use it to cap. So create a build you want to bring to fruition and cap character skills from either advancing, or even providing experience. Do things like limit the level you can reach, too. Plot a build for using up to 30 perks and have the rest(to whatever the build reaches with the skill caps in total, be a bonus, but not necessary). Lastly, encounter zone adjustments can go a long way, too.

• 1 month later...

I don't really make the distinction anymore since I played the base game to death on the Xbox 360. I wouldn't have gotten any version of Skyrim for PC if I didn't want to play around with mods. The same goes for nearly any Xbox 360 or PS3 port on PC.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:21 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

Not bloody likely!:classic_biggrin: Since I started modding some time back, I have never gotten more than 200 hrs on one character before I either have to or want to start a new game. There's

On 5/18/2018 at 9:38 PM, The First Lady of Hats said:

Precisely that. When yer've no coin, yer dressed in iron or fur and the whole world wants to bash yer noggin' in, hell, I've had starts where even finding food an' water's been an issue. Tends to last untill around level thirty or so when you just become godly, I try gimping myself, using weapons or spellschools I have no skill in, but then I start straying from character concept.

It's happening even now, my aldmeri battle mage is feeling compelled to start up some sneakery because she's looking at her museum and noticing the thieve's guild and brotherhood galleries are somewhat vacant, but once I start that she's not a sorcerer any more, just a thief. :3. So I go prowl for more mods to reinvigorate the playthrough and the 40/30/10/20% cycle starts happening all over again xD.

something I like about the start when you have nothing and are nothing.

When I start a new game it is never a level one player for this reason. I like to start around level 30-50 depends... with the vanilla level 1 stats to start.... why? It make for a more dynamic game you have nothing but are faced with real challenges when playing at level 50 with level one stats  for yourself....my game everything levels with you so nobody is a push over if the games says level 50 you will face level 50 enemies.... you are not just going to waltz into a bandit camp a run the place you will die same goes for dungeons... real plans have to be made and followers are a requirement to protect you weak ass with level one stats at level 50. I made Skyrim so harsh and so challenging you want to play just to find a way to survive the day and hope you have enough coin to get a room at a inn.  I don't use slavery mods or cursed loot not my thing way to dominate for that lol.. But playing this way will spark a new interest in the game because you are not god like... and time as you start leveling up your enemies will always be stronger than you...planning made this game interesting from the start for me I just found new ways to keep it challenging. :)

• 2 weeks later...

More playing than modding nowadays since the game is a lot older and modding has slowed down, but also less playtime overall for the same reasons. Also found new life in the game after finding LL and enjoying my characters' fuck-filled escapades!

Probably 40% installing mods and testing them. 20% modding (just creating/testing/mashup outfits). 10% playing.

30% searching for stuff on the net. Yes I re-search things even tho I know no one has done it yet. Makes me more depressed that certain things haven't been done yet. :(

100% moaning about how mods could be better.

3 hours ago, Inajira said:

More playing than modding nowadays since the game is a lot older and modding has slowed down, but also less playtime overall for the same reasons. Also found new life in the game after finding LL and enjoying my characters' fuck-filled escapades!

Extra point awarded for use of the word 'escapades'. :grin:

Back in 2014 I made a character in a fully modded Skyrim and just played. Used the same character for about a year till I did everything in game along with several mod quests. Basically I beat the game. 

Now I just play till something breaks. Then re-roll when I can't figure out what went wrong.

I miss that 2014 save. No matter how many times I swapped out mods it just wouldn't break. The unbreakable save.

Ironically I'd say I mod/play 20/80. Some days I'll just turn the game and play, some days I'll just mod till I'm happy and not even play, I'll just save the test for tomorrow.

You can spend a lot more time playing these days. Before a new overhaul or perk tree mod would drop and you'd have to upgrade my starting over to try it out, or Minilovers would get superseded by Sexlab and stuff. Then you "need" to start a new play through. Now all the mods are already out an no new overhauls are being made. Just old mods are getting patches or a second look at. Nothing that needs a fresh save.

Edit: Just checked Steam, 4703 hours played. So I'll assume I spend twice that looking up and reading mod pages and forums for help with problems then using mod and testing them, ect. So Probably spent way too much time on Skyrim. Spent 99% of my time on a old lap top that could barely run the game, so getting it work was a whole other bag of worms.

On 5/18/2018 at 7:10 PM, The First Lady of Hats said:

40% o' the time installing mods, 30% o' the time actually playing, 10% of the time arguing with mod organizer/Wyrebash/Proccpatchers/xedits, 20% of the time rerolling new characters because character felt too overpowered/Something broke/wanted a new playstyle.

One day I'll actually play a full game and finish it :3

I have to agree those are about the same percentages I come up with as well. The 20% reroll is also for the same reasons, and as for the overpowered character aspect, while it is infuriating to die every few minutes just walking through every encounter is absolutely no fun.

However I did "force" myself to play-through once unmodded when I first got the game.

I would say maybe 20-30% of the time modding. It's usually tweaking mods i've downloaded. Like overhauling the way NPCs look in quest mods to get rid that...default skyrim look they tend to have to match my overhauled vanilla NPCs and my followers. Or small stuff like tweaking illusion spells to work against everything. I'll sometimes work on my own mods that i keep for myself and then sometimes i make a mod for release. My private mods tend to be things people might want, but it's so sloppy requires a weird combination of mods that I just can't bother to release it because I cant get permission anyway.

I spent like 3 years modding Skyrim.  At one point I became satisfied with what I had, and now I have a 184 hour save.  Steam says I have 1144 hours total played, but there would be hours outside of the game that were part of modding it.  So I probably spent something like 1500 hours modding skyrim, and those 184 hours are the time I've spent actually just playing it - I wouldn't really count games that went 2 hours and then had to stop cause of modding issues as really playing it.  Totally worth it!

If we count figuring out how to make Oldrim more stable, I've probably put close to an additional thirty hours just over the past two months. Things got easier when I (reluctantly) removed the DD mods because they kept pushing me over the animation limit. That isn't including some fiddling with the load order, configuration files with BethINI, and even some experiments with the ENB config files. If I could just figure out how to stop Win 10 from trying to manage the frame rate of Skyrim in borderless window mode I'd be golden.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2018 at 11:11 AM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Too many of my must-have mods from LL won't work on SSE for various reasons and Oldrim is finally stable enough that it's pointless to bother.

Sorry to necro. True for me as well except for the Beyond Skyrim mods. Pisses me off to no end that they switched exclusively to SSE! I so wanted to visit the Imperial City again- so much so that I am trying to figure out how to port SSE mods back to "Oldrim". How dare Beth divide the mod community like that!

5 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Sorry to necro. True for me as well except for the Beyond Skyrim mods. Pisses me off to no end that they switched exclusively to SSE! I so wanted to visit the Imperial City again- so much so that I am trying to figure out how to port SSE mods back to "Oldrim". How dare Beth divide the mod community like that!

There's an alternate mod coming soon which will visit the Imperial City, the Rigmor series. Sadly not compatible with Beyond Skyrim: Bruma, so you'll have to choose which one to go with.

Mostly modding.. but I'm trying to play more. I really enjoy scavenging sites for mods though! Before I'd only go on nexus and my choices were limited, but I realize now that there's lots of different mods in a bunch of other communities. So I kinda go down the rabbit hole of looking for mods more than actually playing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Skyrim has been out since, what, 2011? 

Yeah, I've still never beat the main story. 

I got close one time, years ago, on the PS3 when my PC was broken. Had an 80 hour save.

Otherwise, I just spend days adding mods to the game(s) to my liking, then by the time I get an opportunity to play it, I get bored. I'd imagine artists get the same way. They spend countless hours fussing over a piece of work, crafting something they're happy with, but by the end, they're so jaded by it that it doesn't interest them.

However, when I discovered this site and what it had to offer, I've actually found myself playing a lot more after modding, which I've been very grateful for as I always having something to look forward to for a couple hours at the end of the day. It'll be a sad day once I exhaust the content I'm interested in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 2:57 AM, Tifa Lockheart said:

i never managed to get into FNV :cry: only 3 / 4

It's on sale currently, i just (re)bought FO3 just to be able to install a mod that connects FO3 and FNV and is a requirement for many other mods.^^

For the topic... since spending time on LL counts as well, i guess it's 90% modding... most of the time i don't even bother to start MO.

Archived