IGNORED

New CC "Mods" After Five Months

This is going to be an ongoing thing, so if you're mad about it now, you'll be mad about a year from now.

Trainwiz/PastaSpace tends to really take his time on his stuff, so I predict you'll still be mad two years from now.

or you could just correctly mod and test 32 and ignore 64 until such time as you can mod it unmolested.

10 hours ago, SmedleyDButler said:

I do like that better versions of every one of those mods have already been readily available for free for years now (okay, maybe not the bug dog, but other animal companions are out there including a Netch which can at least FLY).

" Bug dog "   Nix Hound was in the DB DLC's buried files.  There has been multiple mods from years ago that re added them into the DB dlc area, enemies and friendly ones.  The House Dres Mod comes to mind, along with that Authors  Pack Guar mod.  Thing that gets me is how 100% of all that new stuff, has already been done for Skyrim and for free.  And I know people will say things one way or another, but a lot of those models in the " store " look like the same meshes used for the free mods.     They want what?  5 or 10 dollars for the Nix Hound when Mihail's Monsters mods are free and give you so much more?   Lol, rather give Mihail a tip or patreon then anything off the CC.

13 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Is this what they are doing instead of making Elderscrolls 6?

I can't help but think Bethesda is starting to go out of business. Whatever.

For the second line, IDK. It would make sense if BGS hadn't opened studios in Austin recently. Especially since this batch of CC crap is $2 to $4 instead of their usual $5 to $7 a piece at launch.

As for the first, that's pretty much spot on. Todd Howard himself once said they were waiting for "technology" (read: consoles) to catch up in capability with their vision of TES 6. With the announcement of the PS5 at E3 that may just happen sooner than expected. I still wouldn't expect another true TES game--ESO doesn't count--for a few years, though. Never mind that they could make a fortune by making TES 6 for computers first and porting that over to consoles instead of the other way around.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me at all other than the minor inconvenience of having to synchronize all of my SKSE updates whenever I decide to jump to the next version of Skyrim (I don't upgrade unless all of my SKSE plugins have been updated).  Other than that, CC is irrelevant for me because the pricing is massively out of sync with the value.  CC content should either cost next to nothing for the current caliber of content or it should be comparable to Dragonborn DLC or Bruma if they want DLC caliber prices.  I think that ship has already sailed though.  If they can get $5 for a sword, why would they ever put the effort into something on the scale of Bruma?  And if they did, who would pay $1000 for it if they keep the value/content ratio the same?  By the same token if they relased something like a Bruma sized mod for $10 then everything currently on CC should cost at most a few pennies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:40 PM, khumak said:

Honestly, it doesn't bother me at all other than the minor inconvenience of having to synchronize all of my SKSE updates whenever I decide to jump to the next version of Skyrim (I don't upgrade unless all of my SKSE plugins have been updated).  Other than that, CC is irrelevant for me because the pricing is massively out of sync with the value.  CC content should either cost next to nothing for the current caliber of content or it should be comparable to Dragonborn DLC or Bruma if they want DLC caliber prices.  I think that ship has already sailed though.  If they can get $5 for a sword, why would they ever put the effort into something on the scale of Bruma?  And if they did, who would pay $1000 for it if they keep the value/content ratio the same?  By the same token if they relased something like a Bruma sized mod for $10 then everything currently on CC should cost at most a few pennies.

You will never see DLC sized content on the CC or anything even close to it due to the limitations on the esl files they use. There is a limit on the number of forms in it (4000) which includes dialogue and everything else, this wouldn't even cover half the dialogue of my mod Captured Dreams let alone the location, npc's, items and quests. I never bothered installing SSE but I still have to 100 free initial credits from FO4 sitting in my account and likely won't spend them, nothing there that is worth getting then finding the patch so it works with the other similar mods properly.

10 hours ago, Veladarius said:

You will never see DLC sized content on the CC or anything even close to it due to the limitations on the esl files they use. There is a limit on the number of forms in it (4000) which includes dialogue and everything else

No wonder I'm seeing so many new PC players here and on other forums. The limits of console modding is even more ludicrous than I'd previously thought (CC stuff = mods meant for consoles).

11 hours ago, Veladarius said:

You will never see DLC sized content on the CC or anything even close to it due to the limitations on the esl files they use. There is a limit on the number of forms in it (4000) which includes dialogue and everything else, this wouldn't even cover half the dialogue of my mod Captured Dreams let alone the location, npc's, items and quests. I never bothered installing SSE but I still have to 100 free initial credits from FO4 sitting in my account and likely won't spend them, nothing there that is worth getting then finding the patch so it works with the other similar mods properly.

Except at least two contracted modders are working esMs, so...

I think part of the high prices might be related to how they are paying modders they bring on to make CC content. I remember reading somewhere that the contracted modders get paid regularly like a salary, rather than getting paid based on deliverables. I recall the person in the program also commented this was great for participating modders since it essentially provided a steady income. Of course the flip side is it reduces the incentive to get the content done quickly since you get paid even if it's not done. And apparently they were getting paid a pretty decent amount.

Add in the staff required to test small mods, which is probably not an efficient use of time (economics of scale), and the costs for the CC program are probably pretty high.

Bethesda is likely passing a chunk of that cost down to the buying players.

On 11/04/2018 at 3:40 AM, khumak said:

If they can get $5 for a sword, why would they ever put the effort into something on the scale of Bruma?

who will pay 5$ for a sword?

didn't bother with the video, but took a look, 2$ for a new creature?

you can get dozens for fee since years...

180422065716.jpg

180422065709.jpg

180422065706.jpg

180422065705.jpg

if you have to pay to get crappier stuff than the free stuff... that can't work

180422065718.jpg

I know the console crowd who had just started playing Skyrim and it's re-releases (coming soon in scientific calculators no doubt if that guy from the chess club named Todd has a say in it) are starved for mods in their "exclusive" gaming platform but I doubt they would spend any amount for a poor man's version of a mod that is way better and released for free at Nexus and somewhere else... for example that Elianora house mod... the paid version doesn't look anything the author had made for free before... or rather it looks like an underwhelming version of what she had made before...or the existing home mods in the Nexus...is it because of the limitations placed by Bethesda for "expressing creative and original" content? hmmm...

meanwhile such mods like the Beyond Skyrim series and the recent Project AHO are better and freer than a temple prostitute during Aphrodite's festival...

well I have been proven wrong before...people will continue to make "original content" for Beth's Creation Club as long as there are buyers of the snake oil as well as Microtransactions and lootboxes and games as services will continue to exist in AAA games as long as some people are willing to whale out...

DEMAND...

SUPPLY...

CRY...