[Stellaris] Modding Help, Ideas and Suggestions

Long time lurker here, is there any mod that prevents the AI from going bankrupt on their resources? I'm having a weird series of crashes in my games lately and I've narrowed the cause down to resource shortages. Namely when I hit 0 on something like food or energy my game goes 'lolnope' and hard stops.

I can manage my empire well enough so that this can't happen for me, but the fail-state also seems to apply to AI empire so I'm kind of up a creek here. 

Since this is a general modding help thread, maybe someone could give some advice on how or where one can learn to code the mods on an advanced level?

There are tutorials, including videos, for beginners, but they touch upon some very basic stuff. There is no arguing that the basics are compulsory in order to move further, but where can we get info on more complex stuff? Stellaris wiki has good information on modding but not exhaustive. Or maybe I am missing something?

Would be great to get some insight from the creators of large mods or enthusiasts updating their works about how they learned to do it, what platforms or resources they used to learn it. Sadly, most of them seem to have temporarily or permanently dropped out of the modding process.

• 2 months later...

Hello. Don't know if anyone already suggested that, but still gonna do it.

I have an idea for a lewd rework of a Knights of a Toxic God origin. It will be called "Hedonist Knights" or "Knights of Depravity".
At some points these species experienced a psionic awakening. But for some reason it went catastrophically wrong and the whole planet was submerged in a Shroud for several months. During this time, some Shroud entity made them experience an ultimate feeling, when pleasure and pain comes together on a level unattainable for a mere mortals. Those who survived and returned to the real space, came together and formed a knight order to seek way to this Entity and experience this ultimate feeling once more, while tasting every perversion, that they will come up with.

When I write this, I also came up with idea, that during the quests, Knights would be given a choice between Pleasure and Pain. Pleasure can influence the pop growth and amenities with the debuffs to army and fleet, while Pain will give a boost to fleet and army with the debuffs to pop growth and amenities.

Edited by LilithD0ll
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 5:45 AM, LilithD0ll said:

Hello. Don't know if anyone already suggested that, but still gonna do it.

I have an idea for a lewd rework of a Knights of a Toxic God origin. It will be called "Hedonist Knights" or "Knights of Depravity".
At some points these species experienced a psionic awakening. But for some reason it went catastrophically wrong and the whole planet was submerged in a Shroud for several months. During this time, some Shroud entity made them experience an ultimate feeling, when pleasure and pain comes together on a level unattainable for a mere mortals. Those who survived and returned to the real space, came together and formed a knight order to seek way to this Entity and experience this ultimate feeling once more, while tasting every perversion, that they will come up with.

When I write this, I also came up with idea, that during the quests, Knights would be given a choice between Pleasure and Pain. Pleasure can influence the pop growth and amenities with the debuffs to army and fleet, while Pain will give a boost to fleet and army with the debuffs to pop growth and amenities.

*Writes that down.*

Edited by SluttySnowcraft
On 10/5/2022 at 10:58 AM, kakkaohjus said:

I'm guessing this has been asked many a time, but is it possible to sexualize the non-modded species? I would love to get erotic portraits for them, especially if it could be done in an Achievement compatible way. Just to spice things up a bit.

look for "Vanilla Framework" its on this forum and replaces all the base species with lewd versions

• 1 month later...

General question: is there a mod that adds techs to increase the gene trait cap? There's a hardcoded cap on the number of traits a species can have and while I would just change the cap in the game files, it results in all the other species having a ridiculous number of traits to start with, so having a tech that can gradually increase the cap would be convenient.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, NateM.Pordant said:

General question: is there a mod that adds techs to increase the gene trait cap? There's a hardcoded cap on the number of traits a species can have and while I would just change the cap in the game files, it results in all the other species having a ridiculous number of traits to start with, so having a tech that can gradually increase the cap would be convenient.

Not that I'm aware of, but it shouldn't be too hard to achieve now.  The code from the new Genetics Tradition is 

modifier = {
        BIOLOGICAL_species_trait_picks_add = 1
 }

Creating a couple of new technologies with that code should achieve your aim, and it should be pretty easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking into the mods for this game. In all honesty it looks like a hot mess. So many are out of date and the one guide I see from a month ago seems to cover a very small selection of "Out of date" and  "working" mods. Heck even a massive amount of the mods in the working section are pretty much a 50/50 shot according to the guide. Should I just not bother with Stellaris or is it not as bad as it looks.  Also wondering if I need to buy the $200 Dollary Doos, worth of DLC just to even mod this game. 

I find it intriguing yet bizarre that with such conditions a modding community would arise and even continue to support such a game or company that pushes out all games in this style. It seems almost Anathema to modding as a whole.

Please feel free to correct and call me a silly sausage if I am grossly incorrect about everything though.

• 2 months later...

You don't need the DLC to mod, but it does help a fair bit. Most mods are, however, made with people that don't own every last DLC in mind. It just happens that sexualising Stellaris is difficult conceptually, since adding titty to everything just isn't really an easy option.

That said, the game's SFW modding community is amazing, and I 100% recommend the game even without stuffing it full of horny mods.

Edited by SluttySnowcraft
  • 1 month later...

Can anybody help me with something has to be dumb.  Working on my first mod.  Custom origin isn't showing up when creating a new empire.  Error log says it's invalid but doesn't specify what's invalid.  Only issue reported in VSCode is it's insisting it can't find the origin pictures but they're clearly there.

image.png.e0d12f675d68a8547a3e1acd0efc6b72.png

What am I missing here?  I'm assuming it's going to be something that makes me feel stupid, but I'm stumped. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I recently tried to merge and update a bunch of older portrait mods(SSX and lewd xenos) following the template from Stellar Legions because I find it much more economical. I specifically used the format used in Steller Legions Lustful Void Portrait Patch 1.2.0 to account for LV. But for some reason none of the portraits show up, its just empty spaces. 

They work when I move them over into the Stellar Legions folder so I am assuming I made a mistake in configuring the species classes but I have no idea what that mistake could be. Could anyone have a look at it? I am using irony mod manager btw. 

portraits.7z common.7z

Edited by Fake438
  • 2 months later...

Hi all.
Quick question that I can't find an answer to.

Can we use them (for pops) to distinguish between males and females of a species?

Another question can we add a kind of flag (like in ck2) to a pop and use the same flag to block a job for this pop for example?

THANKS

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 4:33 AM, lukaslunt said:

Can we use them (for pops) to distinguish between males and females of a species?

Another question can we add a kind of flag (like in ck2) to a pop and use the same flag to block a job for this pop for example?

Q1:: Unfortunately, pops do not have a gender assigned to them, like leaders have. You could maybe code your own pop_flag system, but I if it's possible. The vanilla game relies on species_flags for pretty much anything that effects pops.

Q2:: Two ways of doing this. You could mod jobs to have restrictions based on species_flags. Which would be more dynamic than what I've done in my mod, where I mod the species and limit the art assets to certain LV jobs. This works for me because I've only done like oh... Breeder assets for the females of a couple species and not males. Again, this isnt very dynamic at a larger scale, because if you look at my code, it gets exponentially longer with the more possible variantions I add to a species. Just check the diference in file sizes on some of my asset selector files.

• 2 months later...

I Made A Star System Initializer Which Works For The Most Part But Three Things I'm Having Trouble With Is What The Proper Code To Add My Planetary Features/Modifiers/Resources. The 2nd Thing I'm Having Trouble With Is Getting The Defiant Homeworld To Spawn On A Tombworld Moon Orbiting A Savannah World. The 3rd Thing I'm Having Trouble With In The Jerichonian System Is I'm Trying To Make A Gaia World With An Ocean Moon Orbiting It With A Tropical World Orbiting The Ocean Moon. So Basically The Moon Should Have Its Own Separate Moon.

As Of Now Neither The Moons Nor The Features/Modifiers/Resources Ever Spawn.

I've Attached My File If Anyone Wants To Look Through It & Cleanup Whatever I've Done Wrong I'd Appreciate It. If You Get It Working I'll Upload The System As A Mod Here & Credit You.

99_Systems.txt

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to force the game to ONLY use already created empires and not generate new random ones? I find random gen too random and nonsensical, especially with LV traits in the mix.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 12:58 AM, Santr said:

Is there a way to force the game to ONLY use already created empires and not generate new random ones? I find random gen too random and nonsensical, especially with LV traits in the mix.

If I'm understanding your question, kinda.  Whenever you hit the new game button, there's a menu including all the empires you created previously, and there's a little doodad in the bottom right that has an image that looks like a phoenix.  If you click that image, you can get it to be illuminated and have a padlock on it, and that'll guarantee the empire spawns in. 

Means you have to create a bunch of empires, but where there's a will, there's a way.