• Joe Satriani
    • Ritchie Blackmore
    • Yngwie Malmsteen
    • Michael Angelo Batio
    • Buckethead
    • Dimebag Darrell
    • Dave Mustaine
    • Other (Comment)

Had to vote "Other" since Steve Howe from Yes is not an option (shame on you... :cry: ).  However, I love a many that you have listed. 

Stevie Ray Vaughn (I'm from Texas as well, so it's like a state law that you have to love SRV)

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, (and you forgot Eric Johnson, another Texan) - saw all three of them when they did the first G3 tour - frickin amazing to see these guys together.  Although their opening act nearly stole the show - ANOTHER guitarist called Adrian Legg.  Fantastic acoustic guitarist (another one that should be on the list).

Saw Yngwiie on his first major tour for his first album (Marching Out) - another amazing one.

B.B. King is always great (I got the CD he did with Clapton - "Riding with the King").

Another great one missing from your list of options is Gary Moore (passed away several years ago).  Was one (of the many) guitarists for Thin Lizzy.  Had a pretty good solo career (songs like "Over The Hills" & "Led Clones").  He gravitated more towards straight blues towards then end rather than the more rock oriented stuff of his earlier solo career.  Put out a fantastic blues/rock album with the other guys from Cream (Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker) called BBM that was awesome.

Um, not including Steve Howe is a serious omission. He's the reason I started playing guitar.

Dave Gregory (XTC) and Andy Summers kept me going through the 80's. Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine)

got me through the 90's

These days I'm enjoying Marty Stuart, Hank Marvin and Les Paul.

11 hours ago, srayesmanll said:

Had to vote "Other" since Steve Howe from Yes is not an option (shame on you... :cry: ).  However, I love a many that you have listed. 

Stevie Ray Vaughn (I'm from Texas as well, so it's like a state law that you have to love SRV)

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, (and you forgot Eric Johnson, another Texan) - saw all three of them when they did the first G3 tour - frickin amazing to see these guys together.  Although their opening act nearly stole the show - ANOTHER guitarist called Adrian Legg.  Fantastic acoustic guitarist (another one that should be on the list).

Saw Yngwiie on his first major tour for his first album (Marching Out) - another amazing one.

B.B. King is always great (I got the CD he did with Clapton - "Riding with the King").

Another great one missing from your list of options is Gary Moore (passed away several years ago).  Was one (of the many) guitarists for Thin Lizzy.  Had a pretty good solo career (songs like "Over The Hills" & "Led Clones").  He gravitated more towards straight blues towards then end rather than the more rock oriented stuff of his earlier solo career.  Put out a fantastic blues/rock album with the other guys from Cream (Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker) called BBM that was awesome.

I know, but I had only 20 options. I know guitarists like Jason Becker, Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, Dick Dale, Rory Gallagher, Eric Johnson, Alexi Laiho, Rusty Cooley etc are cool too. 

Randy Rhoads. Cut down before he really got going. I loved everything he ever did. George Lynch - I liked his mean crunches. Alex Lifeson, no one ever mentions him and he has done some amazing music in Rush for almost 50 yrs. Chris DeGarmo, Kirk Hammett, Warren DeMartini, and so many more I can't think of them right now. Anyone ever heard of Tony Macalpine or Greg Howe? I listened to a 16 yr old kid a few years back play any song/solo from any artist note for note. I think he went on into economics or something.

7 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Randy Rhoads. Cut down before he really got going. I loved everything he ever did. George Lynch - I liked his mean crunches. Alex Lifeson, no one ever mentions him and he has done some amazing music in Rush for almost 50 yrs. Chris DeGarmo, Kirk Hammett, Warren DeMartini, and so many more I can't think of them right now. Anyone ever heard of Tony Macalpine? I listened to a 16 yr old kid a few years back play any song/solo from any artist note for note. I think he went on into economics or something.

Yes, I have heard of Tony Macalpine. The man was shredding his guitar along with Yngwie Malmsteen in the 80s. 

On 12/2/2017 at 7:28 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

...Alex Lifeson, no one ever mentions him and he has done some amazing music in Rush for almost 50 yrs...

It's one those things where when you have 2 strong individuals like Geddy Lee and Neil Peart in the same band, Alex kind of gets overlooked.  I know I didn't think much about him, but then I listened to the solo project he did called Victor.  I absolutely loved that cd.  It made me go back and listen to all the Rush stuff with a new ear and made me realize that I had seriously undervalued him.

5 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Yep. His guitar was more like an extension of his body- there was nothing he couldn't do with it. His unique style and god-like talent will live as long as music can be heard. I've never heard anyone that can sound just like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Vki76x-EU

That's SRV's cover of Little wing.

Here, this is proper Hendrix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJw_XqvsSIs

Some other people missing from the list (there are at least two dozen omissions, these are the ones I find quite surprising):

Peter Green

Andy McKee

Mark Knopfler

Al Dimeola

That Carlos Santana and Gary Moore would also be missing from a list of rock-blues electric guitarists is unusual. Not easy to pick a favorite, as all of them have their own specialties. If I had to choose it would be Mark Knopfler though. If you put  a stack of music in front of me with his records in it, I would play those first.

11 hours ago, Pauduan said:

Some other people missing from the list (there are at least two dozen omissions, these are the ones I find quite surprising):

Peter Green

Peter Green not as familiar to most (most don't realize there was a Fleetwood Mac before Buckingham/Nicks joined), but damn he was good.  I only found out about him through the "Behind the Music" things VH1 did on Fleetwood Mac.  Made me go back and listen to the old Fleetwood Mac stuff.  Discovered "Man of the World" and it is my favorite FM track, either pre- or post- Buckingham/Nicks era.

I would really choose Buckethead above all other guitarist.  He has a very wide range of music genres. And he can do all kinds of techniques on his guitar. He is both fast and emotional. He has a lot of albums. That's why its hard to find good songs by him. But he's really a very good guitarist. For me he's the most unique guitarist ever. 

Jimmy Page is also very good guitarist. Wonder no one voted him yet.

Same thing for Ritchie Blackmore. He is the father of shred-guitar. And one of the founders of heavy metal. He helped to create neoclassical metal from classical and rock fusion. 

10 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

That is something! But, I never understood the appeal of a 1000 notes a min pace. To me it sounds like overkill. A variance on pace and tone is something I like and  slower, more "whiny" licks- if that makes any fuckin' sense at all.:)

Yes, sometimes long shredding gets annoying. But he can also play slowly with full of emotion.

Its a cover of Dream On by him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSaRm6NyLf4

Archived