Looking to get into TES Fallout games

Bladabli

You can play FO3 within the slightly better NewVegas technique.

It´s a community mod called "Tale of two wastelands"

In my opinion, that´s the best you can play!

*** edit ***

...to kill the fun:

Don´t EVER call it TES Fallout!

The Elder Scrolls ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls ) are something so very different then the Fallout Series ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_(series))!

It´s like calling it a DodgeChallengerRamCaliber

:D

Fallout 3 for vanilla its not big on modding and plays horribly with mods. Also it does not work well with Windows 8 or above. Very unstable.

Fallout New Vegas isn't as great as people make it out to be. You will be bored quite quickly with its lackluster level design and major game breaking bugs. But its better with modding and bigger in modding.

Fallout 4 should be avoided like Ebola.

Bought the FO3 collectors edition without knowing what it was about. Still have the bobble head on my desktop (for the younger gamers: CE in the earlier days meant more than additional DLC, but also maps, shirts, cards.. and in this case: a metal lunch-box, drawings, a handbook and a vault-tec bobble-head).

Besides that, start with the newest title, than go forward to the older ones. If you have enough time and cash. If not.. no idea, what you like. You asking others what you like? Nah.. just play them.

Fallout 3 for vanilla its not big on modding and plays horribly with mods. Also it does not work well with Windows 8 or above. Very unstable.

Fallout New Vegas isn't as great as people make it out to be. You will be bored quite quickly with its lackluster level design and major game breaking bugs. But its better with modding and bigger in modding.

Fallout 4 should be avoided like Ebola.

I'm one of the few that never got beyond the two hour mark in New Vegas. At the point where I had been wondering through the desert for about an hour, then finally found a quest which forced to cook stuff, I basically bailed out. Got to that point twice, stopped each time. I really liked Vanilla Fo3 but it didn't endure the times as other games did.

If you have no history with Fallout, then Fallout 3 has a very good hand holding technique that makes it feel more "open world", but still keeps you on the linear story line.  However, if you played Fallout 2 and liked it, then FONV is your go to.  While I don't want to get into the whole "which is better", the FO world has two distinct approaches breaking away from a common starting point.   Basically FO  then FO3  for those who enjoy more purpose or story driven events, while FO2 then FONV appeal to those who prefer open world. 

As always though, when you ask on a modding site, you are going to get a hundred different answers, because I doubt any one of us have all the same mods loaded up in our respective games.  So essentially make a choice, find the mods that suite your world and have at it.  

FO4 appears to have more mods, but don't let that fool you.  There are plenty of quality mods that run well in FO3 and FONV. 

Fallout 3 is less unstable than Oblivion which is already incredibly unstable with mods. Both fallout 3 (like Oblivion) and fallout new vegas are super annoying to mod too. 

I can setup a Skyrim mod set up with around 100 mods in less than 3 hours and it plays perfectly fine. For Oblivion, it takes ALL day lol. I hate modding the old Bethesda games...the only one that is fine is Morrowind, that is easy to mod. I'll NEVER play oblivion or fallout 3 or NV again because how annoying they are to mod. Skyrim/FO4 are fine though.

Fallout 4 is even more stable than Skyrim. I can get 120 or so mods (ESPS/ESMS) setup in less than 3 hours as well and it plays beautifully. No crashes, no weird errors...just so smooth. Use mod organizer, use LOOT, sort some mods to proper load order (usually just put on the bottom)...and enjoy a game without running into the stupid crap that happens in Oblivion/FO3/NV where even following 99% a guide you'll likely end up with massive crashes and a broken game because one thing is out of place. And I don't have time or the patience to deal with that crap of spending days and days working on a mod list for an old game. I'd only play them again if a compilation ever comes out in English...there is a russian one for Oblivion but its russian only lol. It plays really stable though, but its russian :P nothing exists like that for FO3/NV.

Last time I tried modding Oblivion I wanted to smash my PC lol. I tried for 3 days, multiple installs, various mods...nope. Even kept very small mod lists (30-40 mods, and it was still freakin broken...such a broken old engine). On the other hand, Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE I throw mods in and they just work lol.

If you want a fallout game, go FO4...its so easy to mod and not frustrating at all to where you want to use a hammer on your PC lol. Also, because Fallout 4 (and Special Edition for Skyrim) use 64bit, that further increases stability and probably a big reason (amongst other engine improvements) they are both far more stable.

I've played both classic Fallouts and enjoyed both of them. I have Windows 10.

I'm asking here because I'm gonna mod the hell out of my game, including the sexy stuff here, and want to know which is easier or more stable or have good contents for modding.

BTW, if not TES Fallout, then what? OblivionOut?

Also, does Fallout 4 require Steam?

All beth games require steam.  TES is the tag used for their RPG games like oblivion - skyrim -- fallout series is just fallout 3 fallout NV fallout 4. I would get fallout 3 and fallout NV then get the tales of two wastelands mod where you can play fallout NV and be able to warp into the fallout 3 world and use the fallout NV game engine. For me I won't even waste time with fallout 4 or any of their newer games to come.

I find skyrim easier to mod and make things for but it all depends on what you are doing modding wise.

All beth games now  require steam.  TES is the tag used for their RPG games like oblivion - skyrim -- fallout series is just fallout 3 fallout NV fallout 4. I would get fallout 3 and fallout NV then get the tales of two wastelands mod where you can play fallout NV and be able to warp into the fallout 3 world and use the fallout NV game engine. For me I won't even waste time with fallout 4 or any of their newer games to come.

I find skyrim easier to mod and make things for but it all depends on what you are doing modding wise.

Fixed. I still have Morrowind (all discs), Oblivion (w/ DLC), and Fallout 3 (w/ DLC) without Steam (and all the CK's/Geck copied). I still agree that Tale of Two Wastelands is the best bet. But modding TTW means you can only use FNV mods, or those FO3 mods that have been 'patched' for TTW, like A World Of Pain, DC Interiors, and such.

Make sure you Heed All Warnings, Instructions, Patches and Required Mods for all you do! If not, you WILL encounter headaches and frustration. Learn the tools, pay attention to your Load Order, and your modding will be much simpler for ANY game you choose.

Archived