Spyware windows 10 now worse then ever:

D_ManXX2

Submissive attitudes towards being spied upon will only get you spied upon even more.

QFT

The reason companies and governments are getting away with this stuff is because we let them. But as long as we keeping pulling the "I have nothing to hide" and "But <insert privacy invading feature here> is so convenient!" cards, it will get worse, not better.

Submissive attitudes towards being spied upon will only get you spied upon even more.

QFT

The reason companies and governments are getting away with this stuff is because we let them. But as long as we keeping pulling the "I have nothing to hide" and "But <insert privacy invading feature here> is so convenient!" cards, it will get worse, not better.

Yes the old "nothing to hide" is getting pretty hackneyed. I wonder how people that parrot it would want their children's (or their own) medical records spread across the Internet or the transactions from their bank accounts sold on for targeted advertising. MS and Google would love it of course as they can sell the information but the victim gets nothing (except more crap ads).

Once Win7 deprecates I'll keep the pc airgapped offline and use Linux for online stuff. I already have a laptop with it on (Mint Cinnamon version)

It's not just the matter of "your OS spying on you", since when your OS communicates with 3rd party ad servers and shows you ads? And what's worse, you can't stop any of that, even on the Enterprise version, as the OS doesn't give a shit about any of your Group Policy settings about telemetry, as some researcher has found out recently. The fucking OS doesn't even allow you to uninstall "Paint 3d" and when you try, it automatically reinstalls the program and not only that, it gives the program permissions on your firewall to communicate with the outside. I honestly don't think that I can imagine an OS worse than this, but I'm sure we're getting there.

It's not just the matter of "your OS spying on you", since when your OS communicates with 3rd party ad servers and shows you ads? And what's worse, you can't stop any of that, even on the Enterprise version, as the OS doesn't give a shit about any of your Group Policy settings about telemetry, as some researcher has found out recently. The fucking OS doesn't even allow you to uninstall "Paint 3d" and when you try, it automatically reinstalls the program and not only that, it gives the program permissions on your firewall to communicate with the outside. I honestly don't think that I can imagine an OS worse than this, but I'm sure we're getting there.

You can count on it. MS introduced Windows 10 S for a reason. It's "get used to a locked down OS that no longer does what YOU want, but instead does what WE want." Hey, people don't seem to mind. It's all for SECURITY™

Security is good, right?

Honestly, can't blame them. Apple got away with it and MS is just following their example. iOS is probably the most locked down OS in history. You can't do -anything- with it Apple didn't approve of, but people still think Apple products are cooler than ice cream.

I don't really have much clue, but some hope that this https://github.com/taviso/loadlibrary might help somehow to improve gaming in Linux/wine. Actually developed and used to run MS-AV for fuzzing, and now they find one critical bug after another.

Actually, what Linux needs is a true reference distribution developers can point to for official support. Linux is technologically superior to Windows in pretty much every regard, but game developers dislike getting 10,000 support questions for 9,995 different distros nobody has ever heard of. SteamOS was meant to take that place, but Valve is doing what Valve tends to do. Slow cooking.

All commercially available engines I am aware can deploy on Linux these days. That's NOT the problem. Support is, and the lack of in-house knowledge about anything not called DirectX. Also, good Linux developers usually laugh at you when you offer them salaries considered "competitive" in the gaming industry. I guess that doesn't help either.

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ME

I bought that shit when it was new, back in 2000.

I don't really have much clue, but some hope that this https://github.com/taviso/loadlibrary might help somehow to improve gaming in Linux/wine. Actually developed and used to run MS-AV for fuzzing, and now they find one critical bug after another.

Actually, what Linux needs is a true reference distribution developers can point to for official support. Linux is technologically superior to Windows in pretty much every regard, but game developers dislike getting 10,000 support questions for 9,995 different distros nobody has ever heard of. SteamOS was meant to take that place, but Valve is doing what Valve tends to do. Slow cooking.

All commercially available engines I am aware can deploy on Linux these days. That's NOT the problem. Support is, and the lack of in-house knowledge about anything not called DirectX. Also, good Linux developers usually laugh at you when you offer them salaries considered "competitive" in the gaming industry. I guess that doesn't help either.

Yeah, i see it more from a user perspective but support (more or less) is what matters. In theory i would be happy to never need a support, but i guess that won't happen ever.

And yes, what i've heard about salaries in gaming industry... you're more or less expected to do the job because it's fun. Payment is an extra you have to be grateful for, no matter how much - or few. I can imagine that this isn't exactly helping. ;)

I just thought that might be one step to make it a bit less a pain in the ass to play on Linux at least for some games, again from the perspective of a user. Something that makes another 0.5% market change. ;) And that it might be something intresting in general for some people who know more than me. :)

You might want to switch to Windows 10 China Government Edition to get rid of the telementry and all that shit :D and I'm not kidding...

It's based on Windows 10 Enterprise, but with a few tweaks. "The China Government Edition will use these manageability features to remove features that are not needed by Chinese government employees like OneDrive, to manage telemetry and updates, and to enable the government to use its own encryption algorithms within its computer systems," executive vice president Terry Myerson writes on the Windows 10 Blog.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/23/windows-10-china-government-edition/

lol the crazy is strong in this thread. it won't ever be forced, 95% of the microsoft ecosystem is random .exe files made by each company to do some stupid pidley little task that nobody else will ever write software for. oh, and uh, games, on steam. come on people.

other than the fact the windows store is rubbish with zero quality control, its a good way [try] to help keep your grandma from fucking up her internet browser computer so she can continue sending you stupid chain letters instead of calling you asking to fix her shit.

the pseudo linux fanboys are pretty hilarious too, since a lot of actually useful software cannot be properly installed without root privs. same shit different implementation. over all it smells like they are just trying to copy apple, which has a single checkbox to disable. that is super silly since apple is like the last company you want to copy right now as they have no proper replacement for steve jobs, but whatever. at this point in time, literally everything is shit might as well see how far it can go.

[waits for the first linux kid to not understand what sudo actually is]

Well, I just gave Win10 another try and simply had too many small issues with it. I've given it 4 tries so far, figuring I need to be familiar with it for when I get a contract. The longest it lasted on my machine was a month. Having to go in and manually configure things to do what I can maximize the protection of my data and privacy is an issue, but one that is dealt with by exercising a little patience and spending the time to do so. I admit that I found the graphics on my machine seemed to be just a bit sharper, crisper. It does have its good points. And there isn't any one particular issue I have with it, just little things. Overall, it seems to unnecessarily make things just a very tiny bit more complicated to do. And so I keep going back to Win7.

[waits for the first linux kid to not understand what sudo actually is]

If you had the slightest clue about Linux (which judging by your uninformed rant is more than apparent that you do not), you'd know that the reason why you need root privileges to install pretty much anything is -exactly- to make the system more secure, by not allowing processes started by Joe and Jane user to make changes to anything vital. Which everybody having the slightest clue about security will confirm you is the correct approach.

Windows has (mostly) fruitlessly tried to copy that approach for ages now, but many Windows devs are still not used to properly segregate data from the actual application, and prefer to dump everything together, as they did since the days of MS DOS and Windows 3.x. Which is why there is still a ridiculous amount of Windows software asking for admin rights literally every time they start.

From a security point of view it's also absolutely hilarious to suggest that curated stores would curb malware distribution in any meaningful way. They are proven not to. The biggest source of Android and iOS malware are the respective app stores. It's neigh on impossible to detect malicious code hidden deeply in a closed source app, let alone hundreds of them being added to the store on a daily basis. Security has to be designed into the OS to be effective.

to be fair they warned me on discord. i could go on about the contributions and teams i have been a part of for various linux distros, but instead a meme before unsubscribing.

Good, that means one less millenial fanboying around, insulting people. Enjoy your cancer.

I think windows10 is the best thing ever happen to the PC gaming community.

Not only it allows us to play xbox games but also adds a new layer of protection, and honestly even if they collect some data i have no issues with it. Google, chome , youtube , facebook ,tumblr and other have been doing it for years and no one really goes "meme-hate-train" on them.

Just gotta grow up, drop these ancient OS and move onto Windows10, stop holding the PC community you entitled special snowflakes. PC needs to evolve in order to stay relevant in the casual community ( consoles )

I won't mention how dx12 is amazing , and games that are fully supporting it are no longer delaying 4k gaming.

I was always fan of less micro-managing, and how Windows10 handles updates is fanstastic. It does not asks you for anything and does it by themselves. Also no longer looking for drivers issues. I did not moved from 7 to Windows 10 earlier ( free update ) because for me, it felt really cheap. Almost like a piracy, yeah just like those *entitled PC gamers* that want every game to be on sale. Dirty dinguses. So I have waited a bit and bought for real money Windows10, just to says thanks and my appreciation to the Microsoft for their hard and SOLID work. Really happy with the purchase and win10 features so far.

Some people just spread hate-speech and total negativity, i think its time. Time to grow up.

Time to grow up.

Grow up and pay to become a product? I think I'd rather not.

You're a machine designed to turn food into waste and produce babies like it or not as far as the pithy amount society and nature cares about you, you are only a product that exists to consume and produce.

Sadly Linux isn't really an alternative when it comes to gaming. 

I am not sure that's still true. My Linux gaming library has more than 150 games (that's native ports, not stuff that runs in WINE). I am booting into Windows literally only for Bethesda games and modding them. Skyrim, FO, ESO, Notepad++. There is really nothing else installed.

Honestly, if you don't insist on games from EA and Ubisoft (and why would you?), you will do more than ok with Linux.

and you can stream those to your machine when you play. Just have to keep a basic windows box to hold / run and stream those games when you need it and really never have to leave linux (or so I am under the understanding that is the case) I didn't eve try to set up my Arch linux to stream but installed a Steam client adn was running thenewest toomraider onmy tiny little 3 year old i3 and 4 gigs of ram. (intergrated crapics:P) It ran pretty good.

to be fair they warned me on discord. i could go on about the contributions and teams i have been a part of for various linux distros, but instead a meme before unsubscribing.

Awww!

No, really! I can see where you would feel totally misunderstood and underappreciated when people failed to see your genius just because you chose to throw a rant bomb into this thread, using the same unnecessarily offensive and rude language common to most of your two and half thousand postings. Who'd know that a true tech whiz would be hiding behind all that incoherent ramblings I'd have otherwise expected coming from the sort of people who think Tux is a brand name for a chocolate bar?

My bad!

Get better soon!

Time to grow up.

Grow up and pay to become a product? I think I'd rather not.

You're a machine designed to turn food into waste and produce babies like it or not as far as the pithy amount society and nature cares about you, you are only a product that exists to consume and produce.

" Wage cucks. "

''and how Windows10 handles updates is fanstastic. It does not asks you for anything and does it by themselves.'' LOL

I actually like to know what MY system is doing and have even a little control over what it's doing (but M$ keeps saying that it's ''This PC'' not ''My PC'' anymore :P , especially if I paid real money for it, don't get me wrong - I'm using Windows 10, but I would love to stay with W7, yet DX12, better drivers support for latest CPU's/ hardware, and also I just want to stay with latest trends/tech, so I choose W10, but I will not blindly support M$ and say that W10 is all great and fancy, because it's not. Still I turned off all spying things (by hand not by M$ options) and just configured OS to my likings, and now it's actually good system :P

P.S. NVidia started spying her GPU users too! Haha.. Latest drivers have telemetry enabled, don't believe me? Google is your friend :P And ofc I also disabled that, don't mind it that much, but I love to free my resources for games :D

Not only it allows us to play xbox games but also adds a new layer of protection, and honestly even if they collect some data i have no issues with it. Google, chome , youtube , facebook ,tumblr and other have been doing it for years and no one really goes "meme-hate-train" on them.

Just gotta grow up, drop these ancient OS and move onto Windows10, stop holding the PC community you entitled special snowflakes. PC needs to evolve in order to stay relevant in the casual community ( consoles )

I won't mention how dx12 is amazing , and games that are fully supporting it are no longer delaying 4k gaming.

I was always fan of less micro-managing, and how Windows10 handles updates is fanstastic. It does not asks you for anything and does it by themselves. Also no longer looking for drivers issues. I did not moved from 7 to Windows 10 earlier ( free update ) because for me, it felt really cheap. Almost like a piracy, yeah just like those *entitled PC gamers* that want every game to be on sale. Dirty dinguses. So I have waited a bit and bought for real money Windows10, just to says thanks and my appreciation to the Microsoft for their hard and SOLID work. Really happy with the purchase and win10 features so far.

Some people just spread hate-speech and total negativity, i think its time. Time to grow up.

Experiences vary, wasn't long ago win10 broke .mpeg files with a patch that was automatically downloaded and installed and even if you removed the patch it would just re-install it again

I'd say i'm the exact opposite, i want to micro manage my PC as its my PC which is why i liked the old operating systems and if you were silly and did delete C:\*.* and then pushed Y it just did what you told it which meant that you only did this act of stupidity once

Experiences vary, wasn't long ago win10 broke .mpeg files with a patch that was automatically downloaded and installed and even if you removed the patch it would just re-install it again

I'd say i'm the exact opposite, i want to micro manage my PC as its my PC which is why i liked the old operating systems and if you were silly and did delete C:\*.* and then pushed Y it just did what you told it which meant that you only did this act of stupidity once

one word

LINUX...

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Strictly conversationally speaking, I hope everyone understands:

I think of this thread everytime my metered connection Blocks Windows Update (IOW windows behaves itself and shuts up until I turn Metering off)

Linux is fine if you're on a mission from God, and I installed it several years ago just to say I did.

I went and did the dual-boot, triple-boot, VMware thing, But it all seemed so useless.

the free "windows update" version (PRO version) is fine with me.

You've gotta jump through some major hoops to not get the free home version,

But yeah, free vs 109.

I don't have rich people around me, hell I wish. So yeah the free thing was for high-energy people (not me) but a rising tide raises all boats,

so I'm happy.

Ya know what???? I'm wearing my "yes you can!!" T-shirt from 2001. (XP).

O, and yes, GPARTED(linux)  is my go-to software for backups and restores.

Conversationally speaking, of course.

Did someone need a hug?

post-392535-0-20619800-1497504006_thumb.jpg

Archived