47 minutes ago, 1337DragonWolf said:

Is there a mod that makes it where boots don't show up so their feet are always showing, but the boots still take effect? Because I want to see the feet, but I don't want to stop using Frostfall, but I don't want my shark girl to suffer from frostbite.

Unfortunately not at the moment, as it would require editing all vanilla footwear items and would be wildly incompatible with anything else that changes the same records.

Still, IIRC Frostfall takes racial frost resistances into account for your warmth rating (or whatever it's called), and Selachii have a 50% Resistance to Frost, so I honestly doubt boots would make a significant difference there.

42 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

Yiffy Age sort of does that.

It does, but for its own races only. Selachii (or any other race using "DefaultRace" as its armor reference) are not affected by that and use standard footwear meshes instead.

3 hours ago, 1337DragonWolf said:

Is there a mod that makes it where boots don't show up so their feet are always showing, but the boots still take effect? Because I want to see the feet, but I don't want to stop using Frostfall, but I don't want my shark girl to suffer from frostbite.

1 Selachii armor

2 Selachii foot armor

Are two types of boots ( for light armor & heavy armor)

Okay, another thing: When I give my shark a sheath, and max out arousal or use the Erection spell from Aroused, or if I bring up showracemenu in console commands, the schlong won't emerge from the sheath, but it emerges when my shark masturbates from the spell provided by Matchmaker. Is there something I'm missing with that?

3 hours ago, 1337DragonWolf said:

Okay, another thing: When I give my shark a sheath, and max out arousal or use the Erection spell from Aroused, or if I bring up showracemenu in console commands, the schlong won't emerge from the sheath, but it emerges when my shark masturbates from the spell provided by Matchmaker. Is there something I'm missing with that?

Sounds like the "erection" animations are not being recognized by Hoodies, but the SL event is. Did you make sure to install Register Custom Animation Events? As the Hoodies description says, it's required for unsheathing to work with potions, spells and animevents.

In other news, if anyone has been wondering what I've been up to as of lately, I just posted a photoshoot in my blog that should prove insightful.

TL;DR: Sharks in the Commonwealth

Shark_Sport_6.png

As the blog post states, it's still a pretty early WIP, and the release will still take a while, but it seems to be functional so far. So we'll get a FO4 port of the Selachii at some point in the not-extremely-distant future. I should also mention that I haven't looked into males yet, and since I need to both refit all head assets for them and create brand new body textures from scratch, I don't think they will be done anytime soon. So the first WIP/Beta/whatever you may want to call it release that will drop (whenever that happens) will be female only.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I may think about making a specific dev thread over at the FO4 forum when the release is closer, but for now I'll just make a quick showcase here and/or in my blog if I have something I feel like sharing.

(And for anyone wondering: work on the Skyrim version of the mod won't stop permanently or anything like that, I'm just taking a break from Skyrim but I'll be back to implement the tons of stuff that is planned, or at least try to do so).

2 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

I should also mention that I haven't looked into males yet.

do you need me to pose another tail or is that first one working for both sexes?

.....also i'm wondering if it's possible to setup a BSBehaviorGraphExtraData & hkx combo so that they can have proper animations in FO4 (but sadly i can't help you with that)

20 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

do you need me to pose another tail or is that first one working for both sexes?

The current one should work for both, so there's no need to. Thanks for the offer, though.

As far as more posing work goes, the only thing I was considering was to get the Skyrim male body posed to match the FO4 one so I could project the textures. Chances are the result would suck and wouldn't be useable, but at least the colors would be right so I could use the Automatic Texture Upgrader tool to "repaint" a standard FO4 male texture with the Selachii colors. Then some cleanup in Mudbox and the final result should be serviceable (albeit crappy).

But as I said I haven't looked into males yet and probably won't until male head parts are ready, so I'll let you know once I get to that.

20 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

.....also i'm wondering if it's possible to setup a BSBehaviorGraphExtraData & hkx combo so that they can have proper animations in FO4 (but sadly i can't help you with that)

Don't think so, unfortunately.

FO4 physics are severely underdeveloped with respect to Skyrim; for example so far the only "body physics" available consisted on taking the Havok bones used for the physics on the goggles from Sturges' overalls and painting them on breasts and butt. Seeing how bouncing bits is pretty much one of the main priorities of the modding community and how they had to resort to such a hacky workaround to get them to work means it's probably impossible to do complex stuff with them, at least for now.

Though to be fair CBP Physics was released somewhat recently, so we may get some tail-related stuff at some point if people manage to crack the physics code just like they did with CBP and/or delve into tail animation.

As far as I know, FO4 engine has way more limitations than what Skyrim (even SE) had. It still has a long way to come before it can match the Oldrim, if ever.

Though even in Oldrim, we had Harkon's Vampire Lord cape from Bethesda long before any actual physics mods started to come out so who knows, maybe one day there will be a breakthrough and FO4 will have proper physics with collisions and all that jazz.

And this might sound very wrong but I'm kinda curious if the dismemberment is going to work on the sharks.

6 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

Sounds like the "erection" animations are not being recognized by Hoodies, but the SL event is. Did you make sure to install Register Custom Animation Events? As the Hoodies description says, it's required for unsheathing to work with potions, spells and animevents.

Huh. How did I overlook that? I'm not dumb, I swear!

Thank you, BTW. Works fine now!

Anyways, I might consider getting FO4 in the future, so if I do, you can be sure I'll come back and look into adding my own little shark Vault dweller.

17 minutes ago, ASlySpyDuo said:

And this might sound very wrong but I'm kinda curious if the dismemberment is going to work on the sharks.

Haven't looked into it yet either (I said it's still early WIP for a reason), but seeing how most body replacers don't support it and the only one that does (CBBE) does it as an optional "reduced" file only, I wouldn't keep my hopes up. Chances are it's a pain to get working.

8 minutes ago, 1337DragonWolf said:

Anyways, I might consider getting FO4 in the future, so if I do, you can be sure I'll come back and look into adding my own little shark Vault dweller.

I mean, that's good to hear, but to be honest I'd say you should go for a "little shark Wastelander" instead. Wouldn't make any sense for a pre-war Vault dweller to be non-human, at least not from Vault 111.

Huh. That reminds me I should work on some kind of "lore" for the race, because I'm one of those wackos that enjoy story integration into the game world (as crappy as it may end up being, since it will come from me, lol :classic_wacko:).

31 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

I mean, that's good to hear, but to be honest I'd say you should go for a "little shark Wastelander" instead. Wouldn't make any sense for a pre-war Vault dweller to be non-human, at least not from Vault 111.

Huh. That reminds me I should work on some kind of "lore" for the race, because I'm one of those wackos that enjoy story integration into the game world (as crappy as it may end up being, since it will come from me, lol :classic_wacko:).

That's gonna be pain too since the main story in FO4 is so deeply integrated in the dialogue that your character will be asking about his/her son in every other conversation.

Which probably means that the 'son' is going to need to be a fish too for any kind of lore to make sense.

Alternative is to just ignore the main story completely and/or just say that the sharks are synths.

7 minutes ago, ASlySpyDuo said:

That's gonna be pain too since the main story in FO4 is so deeply integrated in the dialogue that your character will be asking about his/her son in every other conversation.

Which probably means that the 'son' is going to need to be a fish too for any kind of lore to make sense.

Fortunately for us, Start Me Up fixes that problem just fine. If you use a non-vanilla start option with it, all the vanilla dialogue is changed so the player is NOT Shaun's father/mother, but rather either another unrelated Vault 111 survivor (from the cryopods that are empty in the vanilla game) or a random wastelander that comes across Vault 111 and finds out about Shaun's kidnapping.

That being said, if it's ever possible I wouldn't mind adding support for Selachii children and making a patch that turns Shaun into a shark and can be used with the vanilla intro/dialogue. Don't think it will actually happen, though.

7 minutes ago, ASlySpyDuo said:

Alternative is to just ignore the main story completely and/or just say that the sharks are synths.

Them being synths would be my "fallback" lore, but I'd still want them to be completely organic and not remotely Institute-controlled instead.

Creatures like Deathclaws or more notably Nightstalkers prove that according to the lore, playing "LEGO genetics" is a real thing in the Fallout universe, at least for top-tier research groups like Big MT, so it wouldn't be that far off to use that fact somehow. But I have to look into it. May revisit the FNV version of the Vulpine to see if I can draw some inspiration from its lore (the FO4 version of the race doesn't include anything about lore for some reason).

1 hour ago, Blaze69 said:

Though to be fair CBP Physics was released somewhat recently, so we may get some tail-related stuff at some point if people manage to crack the physics code just like they did with CBP and/or delve into tail animation.

i was thinking actual animation/auxbones based, not HDT/physics based.

3 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

i was thinking actual animation/auxbones based, not HDT/physics based.

FO4 doesn't seem to have an auxbones system from what I've seen, so it would have to be done by manually adding movement for the (hypothetical) tail bones to all of the game's human animations. That would be a no-go.

29 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

Fortunately for us, Start Me Up fixes that problem just fine. If you use a non-vanilla start option with it, all the vanilla dialogue is changed so the player is NOT Shaun's father/mother, but rather either another unrelated Vault 111 survivor (from the cryopods that are empty in the vanilla game) or a random wastelander that comes across Vault 111 and finds out about Shaun's kidnapping.

Interesting. I never dived too deep in FO4 mods since it felt really limited what the mods can actually do and I didn't actually care about the game that much. Gunplay and core mechanics were solid but the gameplay loop, story and world just... didn't click. Splicing the dialogue must have been a lot of work to get the alternative not-parent scenarios working without being awkward.

29 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

Them being synths would be my "fallback" lore, but I'd still want them to be completely organic and not remotely Institute-controlled instead.

Creatures like Deathclaws or more notably Nightstalkers prove that according to the lore, playing "LEGO genetics" is a real thing in the Fallout universe, at least for top-tier research groups like Big MT, so it wouldn't be that far off to use that fact somehow. But I have to look into it. May revisit the FNV version of the Vulpine to see if I can draw some inspiration from its lore (the FO4 version of the race doesn't include anything about lore for some reason).

Old World Blues did make it seem like gene splicing is just like playing Impossible Creatures, true. Think Tank is supposed to be the cream of the crop, the absolute best scientific minds, if a bit detoriotaed in mental capacity after a few years as robots though.

Didn't Deathclaws mutate from chameleons, or did Bethesdaverse retcon that at some game?

But honestly, in (modern) Fallout universe pretty much everything is possible from robotics to genetics so anything could work, be it gene splicing or biotech.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

1 hour ago, ASlySpyDuo said:

Interesting. I never dived too deep in FO4 mods since it felt really limited what the mods can actually do and I didn't actually care about the game that much. Gunplay and core mechanics were solid but the gameplay loop, story and world just... didn't click.

Lol, exactly the same as I thought. Though to be fair that seems to be the overall consensus about the game.

If it had its current engine and New Vegas-level writing, it would have been a pretty awesome game. But alas, Beth gonna be Beth, so unfortunately that was a no-no.

Old World Blues did make it seem like gene splicing is just like playing Impossible Creatures, true. Think Tank is supposed to be the cream of the crop, the absolute best scientific minds, if a bit detoriotaed in mental capacity after a few years as robots though.

I mean, on the one hand Borous is supposed to have been a child prodigy and one of the brightest (if not the brightest) geneticist(s) out there, and had all the advanced tech from Big MT at his disposal to create the Nightstalkers, but on the other hand he is a brain-in-a-jar that has been literally floating in drugs for more than a century, so it's not like he was nearly at his best.

So I'd say the, like, second or third best geneticists in the world could have pulled off something similar in a very-advanced-but-not-Big-MT-level research facility. Which mean it doesn't need to be from Big MT or the Institute period, any advanced-ish research institution could be named as the source, probably with some DARPA bucks thrown in to cover any holes in the budget. The US already had both Big MT and West Tek working on different projects at the same time, wouldn't be that crazy for them to have a third or fourth contractor somewhere. You don't want to keep all the eggs in the same basket, after all.

Still, the FNV Vulpine lore opts for making them an European project that was stolen "commandeered" by the US after the Resource Wars turned Europe into a devastated warzone, and I have to say I kinda like that idea. Even if anthros don't quite fit the 50's pulp "SCIENCE!" theme from the Fallout universe's version of the US, there's so little info on Europe in that setting that we could go for that kind of stuff and say that's what the EU EC was up to.

I'll have to think about it, but I'm getting some ideas already. Not that they have any relevance for the mod development itself, but still.

Didn't Deathclaws mutate from chameleons, or did Bethesdaverse retcon that at some game?

AFAIK they are indeed supposed to be heavily mutated Jackson's chameleons, but their FEV-aided mutation was artificial and deliberate; I thought they were created by the pre-War US or the Enclave as bioweapons because of the Enclave-controlled Deathclaws from FO3, but according to the wiki they were created by the Master just like Supermutants as per the FO2 Official Guide (which should be canon) and FO:Tactics (which is canon-ish).

No new info on their origin seems to have been stated in any of the Beth games, so I guess the previous lore still stands without retcons (yet?).

I mean, on the one hand Borous is supposed to have been a child prodigy and one of the brightest (if not the brightest) geneticist(s) out there, and had all the advanced tech from Big MT at his disposal to create the Nightstalkers, but on the other hand he is a brain-in-a-jar that has been literally floating in drugs for more than a century, so it's not like he was nearly at his best.

So I'd say the, like, second or third best geneticists in the world could have pulled off something similar in a very-advanced-but-not-Big-MT-level research facility. Which mean it doesn't need to be from Big MT or the Institute period, any advanced-ish research institution could be named as the source, probably with some DARPA bucks thrown in to cover any holes in the budget. The US already had both Big MT and West Tek working on different projects at the same time, wouldn't be that crazy for them to have a third or fourth contractor somewhere. You don't want to keep all the eggs in the same basket, after all.

IIRC, the Nightstalkers and Cadazers were created before the Great War and before the Big MT research heads put themselves into brainbots so I'd say he was very much in his prime when making them. It's not like Big MT was known to be ethical institution, what with all the Sierra Madre incidents and weather control "mishaps" in Divide.

But one of their gimmicks was also making advanced science easy with autodocs, Sierra Madre vending machines that are really very advanced matter transformation machines etc. and industrial spying being a thing, any rival research lab could have done the same things all things considering.

Still, the FNV Vulpine lore opts for making them an European project that was stolen "commandeered" by the US after the Resource Wars turned Europe into a devastated warzone, and I have to say I kinda like that idea. Even if anthros don't quite fit the 50's pulp "SCIENCE!" theme from the Fallout universe's version of the US, there's so little info on Europe in that setting that we could go for that kind of stuff and say that's what the EU EC was up to.

I'll have to think about it, but I'm getting some ideas already. Not that they have any relevance for the mod development itself, but still.

Yeah, I mean world is a big place. Could be a Chinese project to create genetically superior soldiers. Could be a Japanese project for combat divers. Most of the world outside of US is barely explored so a lot of things are possible and still remain lore-compliant and only imagination is the limit aside from...

AFAIK they are indeed supposed to be heavily mutated Jackson's chameleons, but their FEV-aided mutation was artificial and deliberate; I thought they were created by the pre-War US or the Enclave as bioweapons because of the Enclave-controlled Deathclaws from FO3, but according to the wiki they were created by the Master just like Supermutants as per the FO2 Official Guide (which should be canon) and FO:Tactics (which is canon-ish).

...FEV since pretty much every lifeform originating from that ol' thing is a pile of muscle or grotesquely mutated beyond recognition. I don't think coming up with a lore-compluant reason for their existence is going to be very difficult in that setting.

In any case, I wish you luck in your porting adventure, Fallout could use more playable races than just human. ?

On 6/21/2019 at 1:23 PM, Blaze69 said:

Honestly, I've been trying to avoid any kind of spoilers for the game, so I'm out of the loop. lol

5 hours ago, 1337DragonWolf said:

Honestly, I've been trying to avoid any kind of spoilers for the game, so I'm out of the loop. lol

Dunno how you've managed to get this far without finding out about the plot. Well, to keep it spoiler-less, let's just say you are basically forced into a specific character backstory and pretty much personality as well, and none of those would make sense if the character is non-human (even if a "lore" reason for the existance of their species is given, it simply won't fit with the vanilla plot anyway).

Compare that to New Vegas, for example, where all the game assumes is that your character works as a courier for the Mojave Express and is at least on their second job, but leaves pretty much everything else about them up to you (and even allows you to choose some optional dialogue options that hint at their past, but are not "mandatory" whatsoever). In that case it would be much easier to blend the story with the character being an anthro fox or shark or *insert species here*.

Fortunately for us, the mod I linked a few posts back provides alternate starts (much like ASLAL in Skyrim) but also changes the vanilla plot and dialogues to match those starts, and in the process gets rid of most of the plot points that clash with the PC not being human if you choose the proper options.

Still, none of those are critical to the gameplay itself, so even if the plot doesn't make sense with the PC as a shark, the mod should work just fine. As I said I'll see if I can come up with a not-extremely-lore-breaking reason for Selachii to exist in the FO4 world, but right now I'm more focused on getting the mod working and polished in the first place, so there's that. Currently going through a playthrough while testing the race to check if it's functional during continued normal gameplay.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:04 AM, Blaze69 said:

Dunno how you've managed to get this far without finding out about the plot. Well, to keep it spoiler-less, let's just say you are basically forced into a specific character backstory and pretty much personality as well, and none of those would make sense if the character is non-human (even if a "lore" reason for the existance of their species is given, it simply won't fit with the vanilla plot anyway).

Compare that to New Vegas, for example, where all the game assumes is that your character works as a courier for the Mojave Express and is at least on their second job, but leaves pretty much everything else about them up to you (and even allows you to choose some optional dialogue options that hint at their past, but are not "mandatory" whatsoever). In that case it would be much easier to blend the story with the character being an anthro fox or shark or *insert species here*.

Fortunately for us, the mod I linked a few posts back provides alternate starts (much like ASLAL in Skyrim) but also changes the vanilla plot and dialogues to match those starts, and in the process gets rid of most of the plot points that clash with the PC not being human if you choose the proper options.

Still, none of those are critical to the gameplay itself, so even if the plot doesn't make sense with the PC as a shark, the mod should work just fine. As I said I'll see if I can come up with a not-extremely-lore-breaking reason for Selachii to exist in the FO4 world, but right now I'm more focused on getting the mod working and polished in the first place, so there's that. Currently going through a playthrough while testing the race to check if it's functional during continued normal gameplay.

Didn't read it! :D That's how!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Teioh said:

do you have any plans on publishing skyrim special edition version or none at all?

Here you go

On 10/20/2018 at 4:31 PM, Blaze69 said:

Yes, but each and every time you SSErs nag me about it, I push the release further back, just 'cause ?.

Seriously, though, this has been answered a few times already, you could have simply searched the thread: I'll probably port it not too long after the next update is out. But no promises so far.